Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A110a Safari/419.3)

Am I the only one with a slightly loose home button?It rotates a tiny bit and feels like it moves if I push it to the side. Both of my iPods have had this issue (this one and my bad week 37 one)

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
Yeah but the thing is, on my friends iPhone, his is completely solid. Another case of the iPod Touch being lower quality than its bigger brother...

phillipjfry

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
Peace in Plainfield
...Another case of the iPod Touch being lower quality than its bigger brother...

Actually, my coworker has an iPhone and he always complements me on my iPod Touch screen quality and how it seems to be much cleaner and crisper.
I've not heard about loose home buttons being an issue, but the sleep/wake button up top on my iPod seems to have a mind of its own. Sometimes hitting the button wont work at all, other times, clicking it the same way turns the iPod off and on with great ease. :confused:

iShak

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
no lose button on my ipod touch .. as flush as a plastic button in a glass hole can get.

thinking about it .. you do need a little bit of play between the two surfaces else the plastic will just wear off, so don't worry its probably a good thing.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
I was playing with my friends iphone and noticed his home button was more solid immediately. It's a minor annoyance when you compare them side to side but, separately, you'll get use to it.

DocVT

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2006
I have felt from the beginning (my week 36 which was replaced by a week 39) that the iPod touch needed a "soft" Home button. Since so much of the functionality of the touch is screen based, why not have a Home button on each screen that can be tapped. There would be no wear and tear issue for the hard Home button.

zepharus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
I have felt from the beginning (my week 36 which was replaced by a week 39) that the iPod touch needed a "soft" Home button. Since so much of the functionality of the touch is screen based, why not have a Home button on each screen that can be tapped. There would be no wear and tear issue for the hard Home button.

Man you must be kidding... there is famine in 3rd world contries.. children dying all over and you are worried about a little play in the home button of your $300 excessive device. This world sucks...

iboyindigo

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2007
Why the button is loose

The Home Button on the iPhone/iPod Touch is actually sandwiched between the frame of the device and the screen assembly. There is a strong layer of glue holding the screen to the frame however if that layer loosens it will cause play in the button... I know it's not a solution but I thought it might be interesting to know how it works...

G99

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2006
The Home Button on the iPhone/iPod Touch is actually sandwiched between the frame of the device and the screen assembly. There is a strong layer of glue holding the screen to the frame however if that layer loosens it will cause play in the button... I know it's not a solution but I thought it might be interesting to know how it works...

Actually, you should probably read this:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/confirme...has-no-bluetooth-so-enough-already-300227.php

"Display is attached to the iPod with 16 screws (iPhone uses adhesive)"

That seems to imply that the structure of the iPod touch would be more secure than the iPhone, but this definitely isn't the case.

jacktiernan

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
Vic, Australia
Man you must be kidding... there is famine in 3rd world contries.. children dying all over and you are worried about a little play in the home button of your $300 excessive device. This world sucks...

And you are a regular poster on a site purely dedicated to first-world gadgets....

Hmmmmmm.

If you feel so strongly that the world sucks, go do something about it.

nwardez

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2008
i have the exact same issue with the ipod touch i purchased today. well, it annoyed me a bit and i thought about returning it to see if there was anything wrong but i've got the impression that it is pretty common and doesn't really matter.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
And you are a regular poster on a site purely dedicated to first-world gadgets....

Hmmmmmm.

If you feel so strongly that the world sucks, go do something about it.

lol, agreed. +1

Take the iPt to the Apple Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.