Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
Hey Hey!

Right, some of my TV Shows, 50% are ripped from DVD, 50% are iTunes Store-brought, have the little 'i' button next to them, which brings up a small window with the episode information - which I find incredibly useful.

Some of the TV Shows which have been brought from the iTunes Store have this information button, some of them don't.The rest have the normal description by the side, and with most of it truncated and not viewable without stretching the iTunes window to a HUGE size.

Is there any way to force this button to appear, via an option (that I can't find) or some other means?

Thanks!

RumMunkey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2006
Canada
There's a script on Doug's called "Show Description" (I think) that will allow you to edit (or add) a "Long Description" to a track.

"Long Description" is what you get when you click the little "i" icon.

I assume by editing or adding a long description, the icon will show up.

I'd link it for 'ya, but Doug's search engine is acting goofy for me this morning and the permalink I had bookmarked doesn't seem to work.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Lostify will let you add a description. I have noticed though some Shows etc from iTS don't have descriptions.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
Lostify will let you add a description. I have noticed though some Shows etc from iTS don't have descriptions.

It's Lostify I have been using. iTunes does recognise there is a description there, but it trunkates it, and does not give you an 'i' button to show up the long description.

"Long Description" is what you get when you click the little "i" icon.

I assume by editing or adding a long description, the icon will show up.

Nopes. The icon does not show up automatically, well, not with Lostify anyway.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
It's Lostify I have been using. iTunes does recognise there is a description there, but it trunkates it, and does not give you an 'i' button to show up the long description.

Nopes. The icon does not show up automatically, well, not with Lostify anyway.

Hmm... strange one. After reading again I see what you mean now. I have one movie out of about 50 with descriptions that has a 'truncated' description but no 'i' button to allow you read the rest. The one movie is one I encoded myself but all the other I encoded have an 'i' button. All the ones bought from the iTS have the 'i' button too.

:confused:

Maybe try re tagging the file to see if it shows up. I'll try it with mine.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
Hmm... strange one. After reading again I see what you mean now. I have one movie out of about 50 with descriptions that has a 'truncated' description but no 'i' button to allow you read the rest. The one movie is one I encoded myself but all the other I encoded have an 'i' button. All the ones bought from the iTS have the 'i' button too.

:confused:

Maybe try re tagging the file to see if it shows up. I'll try it with mine.

Yes, please. I don't want to try re-tagging a whole series of Supernatural etc, but I'll give it a go with one episode.

Not a single one I have tagged with Lostify has the 'i'. How did you go about setting it up?

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
ITS WORKING!

I re-downloaded Lostify, and I think I was a version behind, and its now adding the little i to everything... even older iTunes-bought protected shows.

WONDERFUL! :D:D:D:D:D

iSAWaUFO

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2006
In Lostify, I think you must check the option "Automatically add files to iTunes". Lostify knows how to flip the magic bit which activates the "Show Description" feature. If you just edit the tags without doing this, then manually add the video file to iTunes, the "i" icon may not be available for that title and "Show Description" may not be visible in the contextual menu when you right-click on the title in iTunes. (If I sound unsure, it's because I am).:rolleyes:

On the Lostify web site, it says it is possible to set this in AppleScript, but is lacking in details. Here is the permalink to "Show Description" on DougScripts.com
http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/scripts09.php?page=2#showdescription
Although I don't think the DougScript turns on the "i" glyph.

You may have to remove the track from iTunes (Keep File), edit with Lostify with the "Automatically add files to iTunes" option enabled.

iSAWaUFO

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2006
MetaFreshen will turn on the 'i' icon for iTunes 'show description'

http://lostify.com/download/

I'm not sure about all mp4 files, but after editing the mp4 tags with Lostify, you can drag the movie to iTunes, then highlight it in the movie list and run the "MetaFreshen" script. The "Show Description" option will then be available in the contextual menu and the 'i' glyph/icon will show in the description field.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.