PDA

View Full Version : Apple Posts Three New iPhone Ads

MacRumors
Oct 7, 2007, 06:31 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple has posted (http://www.apple.com/iphone/ads/ad10/) three new iPhone television advertisements tonight which show iPhone users talking about how they use their iPhone and its advantages:

Doug "Mankind" (http://www.apple.com/iphone/ads/ad10/)
Elliot "Meredith" (http://www.apple.com/iphone/ads/ad11/)
Stephano "One Thing" (http://www.apple.com/iphone/ads/ad12/)

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/07/apple-posts-three-new-iphone-ads/)

pknz
Oct 7, 2007, 06:34 PM
... and a Leopard release date? :p

Guess thats still too much to ask for at this stage.

crossifixio
Oct 7, 2007, 06:34 PM
Yeah I want leopard. Enough iPhone :D :apple:

Spanky Deluxe
Oct 7, 2007, 06:35 PM
I feel some home made versions of these ads appearing on YouTube within the week...

EricNau
Oct 7, 2007, 06:37 PM
Looks like Apple is finally including the business market in their commercials ...nice.

Although, the endings seem awkward IMO.

Also, whatever happened to the iPod touch commercial?

LoganT
Oct 7, 2007, 06:38 PM
The first one was pretty funny.

daneoni
Oct 7, 2007, 06:40 PM
We need a Ellen Feiss version

Chaszmyr
Oct 7, 2007, 06:42 PM
Apple must really be sick of white, they're even phasing it out of their commercials!

Seconded!

elppa
I don't like Doug, he's creepy.

sushi
The first one was pretty funny.
Especially the one about the guy owing him money.

Like the adds.

Eraserhead
Oct 7, 2007, 06:44 PM
They look like nice ads. Disappointing they are all men though.

xUKHCx
Oct 7, 2007, 06:45 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=365567

Fuchal
Oct 7, 2007, 06:45 PM
These were quite possibly some of the worst ads I have ever seen.

NEENAHBOY
Oct 7, 2007, 06:46 PM
Fantastic ads. They should've done something like this a long time ago.

And I personally really like the endings...adds more of a human touch to it.

Andrmgic
Oct 7, 2007, 06:46 PM
I second the comment that the endings are awkward.

I liked the original series of ads better.

Melan
Oct 7, 2007, 06:48 PM
Hey Stephano, you forgot your keys!

ivi7
Oct 7, 2007, 06:48 PM
I don't know why but I just didn't like any of them

hotdamn
Oct 7, 2007, 06:49 PM
I love my iPhone, I love these ads - they manage to successfully convey how personal a phone is to (some) people.

chr1s60
Oct 7, 2007, 06:52 PM
Not too impressed with these. I think most people will see some weird person talking in a commercial and change the channel or leave the room. I guess it is nice to show that people have many uses for iPhone, but they are just boring to me.

MattJessop
Oct 7, 2007, 06:53 PM
They're good. They don't seem overwhelmingly 'Apple', but still retain the simple background, and everything you come to expect from Apple ads. The black seems to suit it, although I'm not sure if I prefer black backgrounds to white. But still, we all knew Apple had to move away from white eventually. Can't stay stuck in the past.

Plus, I too like that 'human element' at the ends.
Makes it seem less like actors/models. More like people.

bravedeer
Oct 7, 2007, 06:54 PM
I found the visual voicemail to be the only succesful ad. The one about finding a name online was very weak... and Stephano works if you want to sell the iPhone to the mob, or maybe Sopranos fans, but isn't that show over?

No females... and I'll bet Stephano misses instant messaging... sorry but loading it off a webpage is a poor implementation of IM!

ventro
Oct 7, 2007, 06:54 PM
The endings are SO cool. But the content and the interviewees - meh.

peestandingup
Oct 7, 2007, 06:55 PM
Wow, Elliot! You used a PHONE to look up a website?!? Thats crazy man.

goodtimes5
Oct 7, 2007, 06:56 PM
Only interesting parts were the ending when it was revealed, oh, background in middle of a city. Hm.

thebassoonist
Oct 7, 2007, 06:59 PM
Doug, Elliot, Stephano...

Where are the iPhone women!?!

RossoA
Oct 7, 2007, 07:00 PM
They seemed a little weird IMO, I like the ending the best, as it conveys the human "we just got him off the street" feeling, but I'm not sure wether or not I liked them.

They sure as hell are better than the UK ones - i.e. the first 3 US ones but with a cringe-worthy British accent on top.

lazyrighteye
Oct 7, 2007, 07:02 PM
The feedback will vary greatly on this, as expected.

I personally find them the best commercials to come out of Cupertino. Very unApple. They make a perfect evolution to the iPhone campaign. Now that everyone knows iPhones are out, and what their basic feature set, now they can see what the average Joe (and I suspect there will also be "Jane") can do with an iPhone.
And perfect timing as we gear up towards the holiday shopping season.

mashinhead
Oct 7, 2007, 07:02 PM
"i pulled up a website to get my gf, bosses, fiance's, mother's, uncle's sisters name.. and he never knew i didn't know"

that is such a weak selling point it's comical.

apple's ad's are terrible, they are so contrived. I liked the think different stuff.

Wayfarer
Oct 7, 2007, 07:04 PM
Is that a faint *RAWR* I hear in the background? The Leopard announcement must be very imminent! I'm ecstatic. :D

Luigi239
Oct 7, 2007, 07:06 PM
I like those adds alot. Apple is obviously going towards a different crowd with these iPhone adds. My mom is going to buy and iPhone based on an add like this...not dancing dancing people like the iPod commercials.

mugwump
Oct 7, 2007, 07:06 PM
"I was writing paper, on the PC. And it was like, "beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep."

mikeinternet
Oct 7, 2007, 07:07 PM
this reminds me of that hotline apple had a little while back. they wanted people to call and describe why they love the phone.

(i actually called too.)

EricBrian
Oct 7, 2007, 07:08 PM
Oh come on.... the PC guy and Apple guy were funny.

These suck!

Rocketman
Oct 7, 2007, 07:08 PM
They focus on specific consumer benefits which is a bit un-Apple, yes.

Visual voicemail helps you do time management.
All-in-one features eliminates the need for separate phone, blackberry, camera.
Internet everywhere allows time-sensitive lookups of situationally critical data.

The last one is my personal must-have feature. YMMV.

Hence the need for three commercials . . . so far.

Rocketman

daa709
Oct 7, 2007, 07:12 PM
They're a bit *****.

Multimedia
Oct 7, 2007, 07:14 PM
Posted here: FutureMediaTV at Blip (http://futuremediatv.blip.tv/). I didn't know Apple would get them up so fast. :o

skwoytek
Oct 7, 2007, 07:16 PM

For some reason that was my favorite part. It was each person where they were at home... Not brought to some studio to shoot a commercial. It made the commercial appear personal.

nichos
Oct 7, 2007, 07:17 PM
Why on earth would Stephano carry a "regular phone" and a phone for text messaging? There's nothing revolutionary about text messaging, I think that was a stretch there.

Squareball
Oct 7, 2007, 07:17 PM
I saw these commercials today during football and honestly I thought they were AT&T ads that Apple didn't have anything to do with. My first reaction was "Wow, those ads are weak. I wonder what Apple thinks of AT&T ruining their brand with this crap". Now I have no idea why I thought these were AT&T ads other than they were really weak so I just assumed.

To log on here and see that they were created by Apple leaves me totally shocked.

hexonxonx
Oct 7, 2007, 07:23 PM
I saw the Visual Voicemail one already on TV during the Bronco game. I thought it was very cool.

MAcNIAC
Oct 7, 2007, 07:24 PM

I nearly spat coffee all over my screen when I read your post:D

theheadguy
Oct 7, 2007, 07:27 PM

I was wondering if anyone else would notice.

sheesh

Football1maniac
Oct 7, 2007, 07:32 PM
Whoah! Where are the iPod touch commercials?

Multimedia
Oct 7, 2007, 07:37 PM
The feedback will vary greatly on this, as expected.

I personally find them the best commercials to come out of Cupertino. Very unApple. They make a perfect evolution to the iPhone campaign. Now that everyone knows iPhones are out, and what their basic feature set, now they can see what the average Joe (and I suspect there will also be "Jane") can do with an iPhone.
And perfect timing as we gear up towards the holiday shopping season.Wow! That's what I thought too. But the reaction seems to be all over the map as some here hate them. I'm surprised the average Joe approach doesn't tug on everyone's heart strings a little bit more than those totally cynical persons here.

yetanotherdave
Oct 7, 2007, 07:39 PM
anyone else not able to view these in safari, but in firefox it works fine?
they're ok I guess, more personal than most adverts.

yzp
Oct 7, 2007, 07:39 PM
these ads are really nice!

they are actually what iphone is for!!!

FightTheFuture
Oct 7, 2007, 07:43 PM
Why on earth would Stephano carry a "regular phone" and a phone for text messaging?

i had a POS motorola t8-whatever back in 2002 that i used regularly for text messaging. sure it cost me whenever i used it - but still.

i guess apple thinks the launch iPhone ads are cemented into everyone's memory so well that we will just 'get' the man on the street in front of a black background motif. the first thing that bothered me was the harsh lighting on the side of each guy.

toxicbomber
Oct 7, 2007, 07:46 PM

This ad is probably the result of the 1 million dollar sue against Apple... :p

bdkennedy1
Oct 7, 2007, 07:49 PM
I saw one during the Simpsons. My roommate and I thought it was boring.

"1, 2, 3, 4... This commercial's such a bore."

twoodcc
Oct 7, 2007, 07:53 PM
Yeah I want leopard. Enough iPhone :D :apple:

exactly. and those ads really didn't do much for me. not too Apple-like

elppa
Oct 7, 2007, 07:55 PM
His keys are probably attached to his wallet.

Either that or he trusts his neighbours alot.

I don't think these ads are aimed at the "Mac faithful" (many of whom already have iPhone), but a different demographic. Hence why they won't appeal to some.

lkrupp
Oct 7, 2007, 07:57 PM
I smell a class action lawsuit brewing here. All three ads state that the iPhone is exclusive to at&t. We know that, according to the all the sniveling, whining, outraged unlockers that the vast majority of iPhone owners do not in fact use at&t as their carrier. How can Apple be allowed to commit such blatant fraud by claiming iPhones are exclusively to at&t?!!!!:p

mcarnes
Oct 7, 2007, 08:04 PM
3 certainties in life:

Death, Taxes, and Apple will always make stupid ass ads.

irishgrizzly
Oct 7, 2007, 08:06 PM
"Elliot" is so hateful he makes bile enter the back of my throat.

puckhead193
Oct 7, 2007, 08:06 PM
great... new ads... leopard please :D

joeshell383
Oct 7, 2007, 08:13 PM
I like those adds alot. Apple is obviously going towards a different crowd with these iPhone adds. My mom is going to buy and iPhone based on an add like this...not dancing dancing people like the iPod commercials.

Just so you know, they're "ads", not "adds". Short for "advertisements".

pohl
Oct 7, 2007, 08:14 PM
"Elliot" is so hateful he makes bile enter the back of my throat.

I don't understand. He's smiling and genuinely amused by the story of how he helped his girlfriend avoid a socially awkward situation.

gifford
Oct 7, 2007, 08:14 PM
They were rubbish!

1st one was best.

But come on. You can do better.

virus1
Oct 7, 2007, 08:17 PM
I love how they supposedly shot them on that little backdrop in the middle of the city, but the audio is crystal clear throughout and they don't wear mics. Plus, the lighting is the exact same with all 3 ads, while it is highly unlikely the lighting would have been the same in real life.

Ugg
Oct 7, 2007, 08:17 PM
I liked them. The endings were great. Sort of a thumb to the nose to all the contrived studio ads. It also shows that the iPhone isn't just for little kids but for adults too. Nice to see Apple reaching out to a slightly more mature audience.

The lack of women was disturbing though.

The idea of being able to access the internet, not just some website designed solely for a particular phone is brilliant. I'll bet that pulls a lot of people in. A lot of the early iPhone hype sort of glossed over how useful such a thing could be, focusing as it did on watching a skateboarding bulldog!

synth3tik
Oct 7, 2007, 08:20 PM
There not bad, but I do not see them bringing in any revenue to Apple.

Mudo
Oct 7, 2007, 08:23 PM
Why on earth would Stephano carry a "regular phone" and a phone for text messaging? There's nothing revolutionary about text messaging, I think that was a stretch there.

Probably one was a text-only Blackberry & they can't very well say that, now can they?

jackc
Oct 7, 2007, 08:28 PM
I don't like those people.

CalBoy
Oct 7, 2007, 08:30 PM

I don't know why but I just didn't like any of them
Agreed. Something just didn't impress me.
Not too impressed with these. I think most people will see some weird person talking in a commercial and change the channel or leave the room. I guess it is nice to show that people have many uses for iPhone, but they are just boring to me.
I think that on the first viewing, most people probably sat through the whole ad, but after that, they're not likely to sit through one of the other two. I saw one during the Niners game, and I sat through the whole thing, but I probably wouldn't have bothered to sit through two more.
The endings are SO cool. But the content and the interviewees - meh.
Hmm. I thought that the content was a bit better than the end. The end left something unsaid and left me wondering, "ok?"

BTW, I didn't see any "interviews" taking place per se. I think they just invited some iPhone users to sit on a stool in front of a black backdrop and talk about their iPhone. I don't think there was any questioning going on, at least from the way it seemed.
Wow, Elliot! You used a PHONE to look up a website?!? Thats crazy man.
Isn't it just mind boggling?:p Seriously though, I thought that that was actually one of the stronger points of the ads; full web access, not a dumbed-down web page.
This ad is probably the result of the 1 million dollar sue against Apple... :p
Hmmm...that is a good defense; show the jury that Apple is completely incompetent by showing them these latest ads!:p JK, the ads were simply "plain" and doesn't really live up to our demanding expectations.
I saw one during the Simpsons. My roommate and I thought it was boring.

"1, 2, 3, 4... This commercial's such a bore."
:D 1, 2, 3, 4 NO MORE!!!:p
I don't think these ads are aimed at the "Mac faithful" (many of whom already have iPhone), but a different demographic. Hence why they won't appeal to some.
Agreed. I think part of our disappointment stems from the fact that as Apple fans, we expect much more from Apple.
these ads are really nice!

they are actually what iphone is for!!!
The iPhone was engineered, designed, and built in order to create mediocre ads?:confused::confused::confused:

Wow! That's what I thought too. But the reaction seems to be all over the map as some here hate them. I'm surprised the average Joe approach doesn't tug on everyone's heart strings a little bit more than those totally cynical persons here.
I think the main problem is that the "average" Joe isn't a sympathetic person. None of the people had any warmth or conveyed much of the human element. I found the people to be flat, and that was my main problem with the ads.
Safari worked fine for me.

They are more personal, but the trick with persona ads is that they have to be somewhat broader in their focus. They need to tap on things we can all feel or understand. I just didn't get that from any of these people:o

cmob
Oct 7, 2007, 08:36 PM
SELLOUT!!

For a company that relies so much on their hip brand, these ads are awfully bland and atypical of Apple. My god, the campaign is based on real person testimonials, the lowest form of advertising! This tripe is typically reserved for health care & financial industry ads, not a cutting edge technology company that can do no wrong.

First, the early price cut. Now, this conservative campaign. For Apple and their ad agency Chiat/Day to resort to the least creative form of salesmanship reeks of desperation.

Could it be that iPhone sales are so below Apple's expectations that the company is questioning its marketing strategy? Is Apple actually getting scared of some of the "iPhone killers" coming out? And what could be next? Buy an iPhone get one free? AND THAT'S NOT ALL! While supplies last, you'll receive this lovely set of steak knives.

cmob
Oct 7, 2007, 08:49 PM
3 certainties in life:

Death, Taxes, and Apple will always make stupid ass ads.

Though I hate the new ads, surely you aren't serious? Are you? What about "1984," considered by many to be the greatest ad of all time? And you don't like the Mac/PC guys?

rockthecasbah
Oct 7, 2007, 08:50 PM
Wow not one of those ads makes me want an iPhone, just make me want to change the channel... These "confessional" ads are really quite dull and are no different than those stupid commercials from Ford, et al. I thought Apple was known for creativity :rolleyes:

deannnnn
Oct 7, 2007, 08:52 PM

lmfao.
Nice.
:D

I'm not a fan of the commercials.

I've always loved the dancing ipod commercials....
I mean... yeah, if they made one like that for the iphone, it wouldn't showcase it features... but it would still make people say, "WOW"

And hey....
at least Apple isn't sinking down to the fake conversation between people commercials.

-"Hey Haley!"
-"Hey Bri oh my god what is that thing?"
-"Oh, this? Why, it's the iPhone from Apple and the exclusive carrier AT&T!"
-"It's an i-what?!?"
-"It's the iPhone! It's an iPod... it's a phone... and it's a revolutionary wireless internet communications device!"
-"Wow where can I get one!?"
-"Only at the Apple store!"

winmacguy
Oct 7, 2007, 08:56 PM
The 2nd one, the guy can't remember his fiance's bosses name or her bosses fiances name - if I heard that correctly ???
LMAO!

SirOmega
Oct 7, 2007, 09:03 PM
Yea, definitely not apple-style commercials. I honestly dont know what to think about them. At first I thought, "wow, they must be AT&T's weak attempt at an iPhone commercial," but the Apple logo was first and I realized that they were Apple commercials.

So yea, I own an iPhone and love it so they obviously aren't targeted towards me.

eric55lv
Oct 7, 2007, 09:08 PM
i just watched it right now they should have made a better one than those :(:(

guzhogi
Oct 7, 2007, 09:09 PM
Seconded!

Thirded! She was hot.

Doctor Q
Oct 7, 2007, 09:11 PM
Aren't Elliot's girlfriend's boss and his fiancee Meredith going to see this ad?

grappler
Oct 7, 2007, 09:22 PM
The first two don't seem like nice people. Kinda like that macbook ad with the annoying guy in the airplane.

mcarnes
Oct 7, 2007, 09:24 PM
Though I hate the new ads, surely you aren't serious? Are you? What about "1984," considered by many to be the greatest ad of all time? And you don't like the Mac/PC guys?

Well the Ridley Scott ad is an exception, and the G3 era had good ads. But I've hated everything since the switch campaign and the sign-a-long original iPod ads (the fat guy singing My Generation, come on!!).

Apple is one of the few companies in my opinion that makes great products but crappy ads. 99% of all the other companies out there have this the other way around.

Thataboy
Oct 7, 2007, 09:25 PM
I miss the days when people in advertisements were good looking and likeable.

KindredMAC
Oct 7, 2007, 09:32 PM
All of the guys they picked are T-O-O-L-S.

Doug is the worst of the bunch.... someone calling him that owes him money? Whatever.... frickin bookie.... go break some fingers jagoff.

Seeing these schmucks would NOT get me to buy an iPhone if I hadn't already.

The iPhone guy from Apple's website makes a TREMENDOUSLY better sales pitch than these guys.

Hell, even Adobe's Johnny L is better pitch man.
Check it out here:
http://www.layersmagazine.com/photoshop-for-iphone.html

levitynyc
Oct 7, 2007, 09:35 PM
I thought the ads were good.....keep em coming!

mashinhead
Oct 7, 2007, 09:38 PM

me too, it's like they've gone back to the days of making appeal-to-everyone-and-wind-up-appealing-to-no-one advertising. it's like they've gone back to the days they had kevin costner in the ads. and they have those creepy guys doing the iphone tutorials, it's like watching an airline safety video. they talk to people like they are 4. apple makes far suprior products, and has horrible advertising, on the other hand microsoft makes far worse products, but actually has really creative and good advertising.

bbydon
Oct 7, 2007, 09:43 PM
Elliot is so busted when his boss see this on tv.

poor guy.

megfilmworks
Oct 7, 2007, 09:43 PM
Apple is one of the few companies in my opinion that makes great products but crappy ads. 99% of all the other companies out there have this the other way around.
The iPod ads in silhouette are graphically interesting and influenced a whole slew of ads.

bigandtasty
Oct 7, 2007, 09:44 PM
... and a Leopard release date? :p

Guess thats still too much to ask for at this stage.

I agree, plus I really don't like these ads as much as the original batch of iphone ads...:)

They should do one with everything you lose with 1.1.1:(

:apple:Best cell phone Ever! BUT, could be WAY better!

BIGANDTASTY:cool:

bbydon
Oct 7, 2007, 09:46 PM
DOUG! Listen to your freaking voice mail its a 4 minute story of where to meet so i can pay you back!

idiot never answers his iphone

FACT
Oct 7, 2007, 09:50 PM

why is everyone all pissy about there not being women? you get all your own razors, clubs, cancer awareness magnets... isn't it time the men got their 15 minutes of attention?

HiRez
Oct 7, 2007, 09:57 PM
Did anyone notice that when the camera cuts to the closer shot of "Elliot", the iPhone disappears out of his hands? Weird. Anyway, they're OK, but I'm not blown away. Very pedestrian ads (um...pun intended?).

EricNau
Oct 7, 2007, 10:01 PM
For some reason that was my favorite part. It was each person where they were at home... Not brought to some studio to shoot a commercial. It made the commercial appear personal.
Yes I understand that, but I think they were filmed poorly.

Scandals
Oct 7, 2007, 10:02 PM
Concept = excellent, execution = poor, lighting = terrible/distracting.

Roessnakhan
Oct 7, 2007, 10:08 PM
They were alright - seemed more like an AT&T commercial than an Apple commercial.

hotsauce
Oct 7, 2007, 10:10 PM

Silly rabbit, iPhones are for men.

jersey
Oct 7, 2007, 10:11 PM
So the Stephano ad:

1. Its shot in Chelsea, and I walk past that auto shop every time I'm in town. No biggie.

2.That Buick Riviera he's getting into, I took a photo of it, with my iPhone. Dont know if it was the day they shot that, but it's a nice ride.

These things ... they're odd.

Too bad the commercials kind of blow.

Rot'nApple
Oct 7, 2007, 10:29 PM

Yeah, it could go something like this...

EF: I have an iPhone. It's a really good phone and it had all these wonderful 3rd party apps on it and then I downloaded the lastest Firmware 1.1.1 and it went beep, beep, beep, beep, beep and all my 3rd party apps were broken... It's like... a bummer.:rolleyes:

Some people are complaining that the latest Apple ads are not up to par with what usually comes out from Cupertino... I saw on looprumors.com their 'headline' AT&T launches new iPhone ads. So I wonder, which is it, an Apple ad or an AT&T ad?

cmob
Oct 7, 2007, 10:33 PM
Well the Ridley Scott ad is an exception, and the G3 era had good ads. But I've hated everything since the switch campaign and the sign-a-long original iPod ads (the fat guy singing My Generation, come on!!).

What about "Think Different"? Another classic ad campaign from Apple. But I agree, most of the ipod stuff is just eye candy.

The original iPhone campaign with just a hand demonstration was well done. Apple/Chiat Day had to show all the things this incredible device can do without making it seem like a Salad Shooter commercial. They were simple, informative, friendly, and let the phone be the star. And they kept my attention. Perfect.

And I wouldn't say 99%. More like 0.99%. Advertising today is in a sorry state.

cmob
Oct 7, 2007, 10:38 PM
Yeah, it could go something like this...

EF: I have an iPhone. It's a really good phone and it had all these wonderful 3rd party apps on it and then I downloaded the lastest Firmware 1.1.1 and it went beep, beep, beep, beep, beep and all my 3rd party apps were broken... It's like... a bummer.:rolleyes:

Some people are complaining that the latest Apple ads are not up to par with what usually comes out from Cupertino... I saw on looprumors.com their 'headline' AT&T launches new iPhone ads. So I wonder, which is it, an Apple ad or an AT&T ad?

Unfortunately, it's an Apple campaign. It's even on their site. http://www.apple.com/iphone/

spotlight07
Oct 7, 2007, 10:38 PM
The 2nd one, the guy can't remember his fiance's bosses name or her bosses fiances name - if I heard that correctly ???
LMAO!

Yeah, and the iPhone saved the day because they never even knew he couldn't remember the name...then he goes on national television...hmm

these ads remind me of the Newton intro video. Remember that? I'm wondering if this is a stab at that...

AoWolf
Oct 7, 2007, 10:43 PM

Yes, yes we do.

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 7, 2007, 10:46 PM
simple, boring, but a very effective way to convey the idea that "everyone can benefit from having an iPhone" (i sound like i work for Apple) lol

Spymit007
Oct 7, 2007, 10:46 PM
It's so easy to completely bash someone on TV who you've never met, isn't it? Well I happen to know Elliot because his girlfriend is one of my best friends from high school. He's actually a pretty cool guy if you got to know him.

But of course you'd rather watch a 30 second clip and solely based on that go ahead and character assassinate a complete stranger.

That's very classy of you.

All of the guys they picked are T-O-O-L-S.

Doug is the worst of the bunch.... someone calling him that owes him money? Whatever.... frickin bookie.... go break some fingers jagoff.

Seeing these schmucks would NOT get me to buy an iPhone if I hadn't already.

The iPhone guy from Apple's website makes a TREMENDOUSLY better sales pitch than these guys.

Hell, even Adobe's Johnny L is better pitch man.
Check it out here:
http://www.layersmagazine.com/photoshop-for-iphone.html

acslater017
Oct 7, 2007, 10:47 PM
"i pulled up a website to get my gf, bosses, fiance's, mother's, uncle's sisters name.. and he never knew i didn't know"

apple's ad's are terrible, they are so contrived. I liked the think different stuff.

"Think Different" with a pic of Mahatma Gandhi is not contrived? The rebels, the crazy ones, the misfits...:rolleyes:

originalvector
Oct 7, 2007, 10:50 PM
Looks like Apple is finally including the business market in their commercials ...nice.

Too bad you cant get the phone on your att business account tho.

mikeinternet
Oct 7, 2007, 10:56 PM
this reminds me of that hotline apple had a little while back. they wanted people to call and describe why they love the phone.

(i actually called too.)

no one else made a connection to this?
Share your iphone story.
http://www.apple.com/iphone/share/

i wouldn't be surprised if these were actually testimonies at least in part.

mark2288
Oct 7, 2007, 10:57 PM
sorry dude, Visual voicemail is not the greatest revolution of our time....

it's nice, but it's not revolutionary....

o the RDF...

Darkroom
Oct 7, 2007, 11:04 PM
i personally dislike these ads... they're flat... it feels like they were made by AT&T who were trying to capture the "apple ad aesthetic" but clearly failed...

CaptSaltyJack
Oct 7, 2007, 11:12 PM
Hey Apple, great job making that ad page work on Firefox for Mac. NOT. :rolleyes: I had to use Safari to view 'em.

Apple web developers should know better.

originalvector
Oct 7, 2007, 11:14 PM
Hey Apple, great job making that ad page work on Firefox for Mac. NOT. :rolleyes: I had to use Safari to view 'em.

Works fine for me on firefox mac version.

notjustjay
Oct 7, 2007, 11:15 PM
I love how they supposedly shot them on that little backdrop in the middle of the city, but the audio is crystal clear throughout and they don't wear mics. Plus, the lighting is the exact same with all 3 ads, while it is highly unlikely the lighting would have been the same in real life.

I was going to ask, is that realistically how they might shoot someone against a pure black (or white) backdrop. I presume you'd have the same backdrop setup, but in a more professionally controlled lighting environment?

CaptSaltyJack
Works fine for me on firefox mac version.

Really?? Weird, I can see their other embedded QuickTime ads for the Mac. But not the iPhone ones.

I'm using BonEcho 2.0.0.7, never had issues before.

CalBoy
The first two don't seem like nice people. Kinda like that macbook ad with the annoying guy in the airplane.

You mean the Powerbook ads with Yao Ming and that midget from Seinfeld?

Isn't it funny how we're no longer told by advertisements how we should look? Instead, now we're told what we look like!:p

DOUG! Listen to your freaking voice mail its a 4 minute story of where to meet so i can pay you back!

idiot never answers his iphone
LMAO:D:D:D

originalvector
Oct 7, 2007, 11:17 PM
Really?? Weird, I can see their other embedded QuickTime ads for the Mac. But not the iPhone ones.

I'm using BonEcho 2.0.0.7, never had issues before.

Thats really odd. How are the ad's for everyone else using Firefox/Mac?

CHess
I liked the commercials. They're subtle and not in-your-face ads. I don't think this will be a long term campaign though as they don't really grab your attention. I assume this is just to show that iPhones appeal to these "average guy" types.

technicolor
Dont like them. Too much talking, the ending is nice though.

compuguy1088
Oct 7, 2007, 11:18 PM

Uh I viewed the ad pages on Firefox and they worked fine....its on your end I guess....

evilgEEk
Oct 7, 2007, 11:23 PM
I caught the "Doug" ad during a college football game on ESPN earlier. It made me chuckle. :)

Now having seen them all "Doug" is definitely my favorite, but I like all three.

Go Apple. :)

PBz
Oct 7, 2007, 11:39 PM
Underwhelming. Usually Apple simplistic is nice and often impressive. These were boring....for me.

Honestly don't think they were targeted at anyone that reads this site though.

skiwhitman
Oct 7, 2007, 11:43 PM
Did anyone notice that when the camera cuts to the closer shot of "Elliot", the iPhone disappears out of his hands? Weird. Anyway, they're OK, but I'm not blown away. Very pedestrian ads (um...pun intended?).

Nice catch - I love finding little errors like that!

quigleybc
Oct 7, 2007, 11:50 PM
Three new ways to taunt me and my countrymen

KingYaba
Oct 7, 2007, 11:50 PM
These are not the commercials you spend thousands to play during primetime.

JohnGalt
Oct 7, 2007, 11:55 PM

I believe the phone is in his hand....CUT....the phone is no longer in his hand...CUT....the phone is magically back in his hand.

And someone mentioned the guy in commercial 3 had no keys......

It was pretty sloppy work if that's the finished product set.

katanna
Oct 8, 2007, 12:06 AM
I also had a problem viewing it in Safari, but I disabled PithHelmet, restarted Safari, and it worked.

The reason that they don't look as professional as the other Apple commercials is the lighting. In the other commercials (I'm a Mac, I'm a PC), the lighting is very smooth and controlled. In these commercials, the actors are harshly lit from over their right shoulder (conceivably from the sun). This gives them a bad look, and don't make them look like Apple commercials.

Matthew

BKKbill
Oct 8, 2007, 12:18 AM
Elliot is so busted when his boss see this on tv.

poor guy.

I hate to be the one, but these are advertisements. You know people getting paid for acting. :rolleyes:

phytonix
Oct 8, 2007, 12:24 AM
I don't like them.
I don't like I am a PC I am a Mac either.

fart
Oct 8, 2007, 12:26 AM
I hate to be the one, but these are advertisements. You know people getting paid for acting. :rolleyes:

I hate to be the one, but he was being sarcastic. You know, that thing when you say something, but really don't mean it. :rolleyes:

BKKbill
Oct 8, 2007, 12:36 AM
I hate to be the one, but he was being sarcastic. You know, that thing when you say something, but really don't mean it. :rolleyes:

Well fart I think it was an attempted joke. :rolleyes:

macduke
Oct 8, 2007, 12:52 AM

Done...here is my crappy Ellen Feiss photoshop, I tried to make it like she had sunlight on her side like the people in the vids and a black background. I just threw this together real quick because I thought it would be kinda funny. Enjoy it for what it's worth, lol, which isn't much...

http://xs220.xs.to/xs220/07411/ellen_feiss_iphone01.jpg

Doctor Q
Oct 8, 2007, 01:05 AM
When is Will Ferrell going to do an iPhone ad?

iJawn108
Oct 8, 2007, 01:12 AM
stephano really meant his purse.

princigalli
Oct 8, 2007, 01:14 AM
That's all the same stuff I can do very well with my Sony P1 phone. I'm so glad I didn't give in and sign a 2 years deal with the devil. Sony is not as pretty but works perfectly and I stay free.

And now I would like Apple to start announcing Leopard. It should have been out months ago and my computer is waiting for it. I've cleaned it up and all the files are ready to migrate :-)

NewSc2
Oct 8, 2007, 01:37 AM
I think it would've been nice for Elliot (or whatever his name was) to take out an iPhone and show how to scroll up and down websites and search for the fiance's name.

TurboSC
Oct 8, 2007, 01:38 AM
Nice approach on the commercials, definitely a different direction for Apple... we'll see what they have up their sleeves.

Uragon
Oct 8, 2007, 01:40 AM

you're right, I was thingking the same.:p

boss1
Oct 8, 2007, 01:41 AM
Silly rabbit, iPhones are for men.

It's funny you bring up the gender thing. I was thinking the other day that the iPhone lacks masculine appeal as a product. Could this be Apple's way of refining the iPhone's image so that it doesn't float in one direction? (referring to gender appeal)

Overall I think the commercials lack selling power. If I didn't own an iPhone I really don't see myself jumping out of my chair to buy one after hearing about this guys wedding story.

I really do like the first one though, Doug rocks. "why even bother listening to the voicemail at all?" rofl

daneoni
Oct 8, 2007, 01:48 AM
Done...here is my crappy Ellen Feiss photoshop, I tried to make it like she had sunlight on her side like the people in the vids and a black background. I just threw this together real quick because I thought it would be kinda funny. Enjoy it for what it's worth, lol, which isn't much...

Haha. Thats actually good but i don't see Apple telling that story.

DMann
Oct 8, 2007, 02:36 AM

".... I was writing a paper.... on my iPhone... and it was like ..........
beeeep beeep beeeep beeep beep bep bep...... I got a phone call... and
I was like, 'nnnnhuuuhh...?' it was my ex-boyfriend... so I like went back
to typing my paper and I like finished the whole thing while he was
droning on..and on.......and on.... about how he wants to ******** me so
bad..... it was kind of............................... a bummer..."

acslater017
Oct 8, 2007, 02:54 AM

1) Boom mics/post-production wiping.
2) Maybe they intentionally filmed them all in bright, midday sun? That's what people do when they film - they choose times and locations for certain lighting conditions...

I don't get why everyone's so skeptical. It's not like their stories are so out there.

DMann
Oct 8, 2007, 02:57 AM
WOW....... would have been more effective. Merely scrolling through contacts, Cover Flow, visual voicemail, photographs, videos, text messages, web pages, Google maps, etc. and just saying.........WOW.

boss1
Oct 8, 2007, 03:09 AM
I think Apple and Geico should team up for an exclusive character featuring; appearance.

Such a commercial would generate an insane amount of attention to both companies.

Of course the commercial must end with, "iPhone...so easy a caveman can use it." :D

Pim
Oct 8, 2007, 03:12 AM
Someone got some mirrors? Apple's site appears to be down...

gifford
Oct 8, 2007, 03:41 AM
my mate is moving from london to california, Apple should hook up with him, he is a VERY talented ad designer. Much better than the jokers they got to write these embarrassments.
What ad company wrote them anyway?

MacFly123
Oct 8, 2007, 03:43 AM

AMEN!!! Most people I know have never heard of the iPod Touch. Even my friends that like Apple stuff, I showed them my iPod Touch and they thought it was an iPhone... They didn't even know that there was an iPod like the iPhone now :mad:

You better start getting the word out Apple before Christmas!!!!

DMann
Oct 8, 2007, 03:46 AM
iPhone is 2 light years ahead of anything on the market, and 2 decades behind because it can't do simple things like SYNC notes

Is just around the corner..........

gifford
Oct 8, 2007, 03:49 AM
WOW....... would have been more effective. Merely scrolling through contacts, Cover Flow, visual voicemail, photographs, videos, text messages, web pages, Google maps, etc. and just saying.........WOW.

agreed, it sells itself.

MacFly123
Oct 8, 2007, 03:57 AM
1. The lighting was bad. Looks like an eclipse on their faces lol.

2. I like the general idea and ending BUT...

3. The selling points were WEAK AS HELL except the visual voicemail.

Seriously, there are like a million things they could say that would make people go wow, but they SUCKED. So of all the iPhone stories you got Apple those were seriously the best??? WOW that is freakin' SAD. Even if they just showed them doing on the phone what they were talking about like the voicemail they would have been much better!

Here Apple put me in a commercial...... Um... I, a, was, a, at the store, and a I um... looked up a thing and a there was like a map or something um.... ya it was aaaaa pretty cool ummm uh :rolleyes: If that doesn't sell one of the coolest products ever then I don't know what will :rolleyes:

I WAS the one
Oct 8, 2007, 04:23 AM
I din't like them.. I don't feel to buying an iPhone when I see an ad like that.
It's like seeing a person telling you he has it and you don't... it's cruel.

it's not funny, it's not impressive, and it's not selling anything.

the old ones were better.:mad:

benfilan
Oct 8, 2007, 04:39 AM
not that fabulous really. i think apple need to use the "lots of things in one device" angle more. my iPhone has freed up a lot of valuble pocket space for me :)

Phobophobia
Oct 8, 2007, 04:46 AM

That's the point of the ads: to not sound like a sales pitch. Is it really that hard to understand?

herr_neumann
Oct 8, 2007, 04:56 AM
So Stephano doesn't need keys? I guess that makes since if he did not get into that low-low and did get into a lexus/mercedes/other car with keyless start/entry. He must have a pretty sweet set up at home as well.....

BigPrince
Oct 8, 2007, 05:11 AM
Apple must be tightening the belt when it comes to advertising budgets.

This looked like the losers from a you-tube competition for apple ads or something like that.

emotion
Oct 8, 2007, 05:11 AM
More smug Apple nonsense.

I like some of Apple's products, and OSX is my favourite OS but I'm not sure their PR is working right now.

The British PC/Mac ads were very bad too....and I'm a fan of Mitchell and Webb...usually.

artman1033
Oct 8, 2007, 05:34 AM
Elliot looks a little like George Hotz
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.unconfirmedsources.com/nucleus/media/21/20070828-hotzarrest.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.unconfirmedsources.com/%3Fitemid%3D2747&h=383&w=343&sz=49&hl=en&start=8&um=1&tbnid=PVxuAfPC91hW1M:&tbnh=123&tbnw=110&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dgeorge%2Bhotz%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den%26sa%3DN

i0Nic
Oct 8, 2007, 05:34 AM
More smug Apple nonsense.

I like some of Apple's products, and OSX is my favourite OS but I'm not sure their PR is working right now.

The British PC/Mac ads were very bad too....and I'm a fan of Mitchell and Webb...usually.
With mac sales the highest ever and climbing, unprecedented buzz generated around the iphone, an iPod business that's as strong as ever, a brand image and equity that is extremely valuable and 'so hot right now' and an all-conquering stock price... all based around their marketing and PR efforts... I'd say it's working fairly well.

These ads are not for us, they are every-man ads designed to make the viewer recognise that at the time of purchasing their next phone, that the iPhone is a strong option as a convergence device. They are not designed to get the geeky minority into a cold sweat over how good the product is, we already know about it and have bought it, or at least want to buy it at the next conveniant opportunity.

edit- also, the use of stories is a great method of memory retainment. We humans are good at remembering little stories and getting the point from them. Each of these ads gives us a little story that we will remember, and this is very valuable to Apple. These ads are more effective than some glossy computer generated ad with a sexy female voice over commenting on the features. These ads will reach subconscious minds where the bulk of the consumer purchase decision process begins and ends.

boss1
Oct 8, 2007, 05:40 AM
Is just around the corner..........

yah I saw the screenshot of the notes feature on Appleinsider, if that's what you refer to, so it's pretty much fact imo, with the exception of it actually being announced by Apple.

I'm just lazy to update my sig :P well...not so much lazy but I have to come up with a replacement.

fastbite
Oct 8, 2007, 05:45 AM
Those ads are the natural progression from the more basic informative ones. I think they are effective, in the surface very simple and follow a well tested method. They also have a twist of humor which helps them and takes them beyond other similar campaigns.

wonderkid
Oct 8, 2007, 05:50 AM
These are embarassing. There is nothing original about the features they highlight as any phoned from the last 5 to 6 years has the ability to achieve what these models were doing. Who uses voicemail anymore anyway? If they want to show off a revolutionary and useful feature, how about the way emails are erased by simply dragging them to the side or show Grandma using multitouch to browse and pinch zoom a series of photos of her grand kids? These ads will put off the UK buyers too who have a disdain for cheese. A total contrast to the fantastic introductory and 'how to' videos on the Apple website.

Schtumple
Oct 8, 2007, 06:11 AM

Yeah I noticed that, does apple think women can't use the iPhone?!

Good ads, it's nice to see some really raw basic adverts from apple but all the same, be nice if there was something about leopard....

I Am Designer™
Oct 8, 2007, 06:30 AM
'Everyman' marketing works really well - telling consumers real stories works.

It gives them sense of attachment and makes them feel 'wanted' and part of something.

The ads work on that level - but don't go far enough in telling more interesting stories. The one that works best is 'Stephano' - he actually has the most real story to tell - the other two ads are about features, that we then don't get to actually see. There is no pay-off from them at the end.

I can imagine, as with other Apple adverts, we'll see more released over time that will tick more boxes - and tell more stories.

Now if Apple could just nail down some OS X adverts...

Simon1966
Oct 8, 2007, 07:27 AM
Sorry but those ads just won't sell the iPhone.
We need more catchy ads like the iPod Nano (1-2-3-4------).

alFR
Oct 8, 2007, 07:47 AM
<Jedi mode>

These are not the commercials you spend thousands to play during primetime.

</jedi mode>

fiftydollarshoe
Oct 8, 2007, 07:55 AM
Sorry but those ads just won't sell the iPhone.
We need more catchy ads like the iPod Nano (1-2-3-4------).

don't agree...... what the iPhone suffers from now is that some potential buyers may see it as a gimmick. A good looking blonde with no brains….. ie the touch interface looks way cool but really I just want to make calls and that gesturing looks complicated........ well.... bring in the human element and talk how the device really is a practical piece of machinery..... I’m sure this is a multi-strategy marketing campaign…. They are positioning it to the post 25’s…… next up iPhone Nano for the kiddies and teens……

barryd
Oct 8, 2007, 08:11 AM
Guys,

These are actually very well done. The ad agency, not Apple mind you, took a hackneyed concept, "Man on the Street", and made it Apple's version. It was brilliant the way they set it up. How? Wel,we're all used to black backgrounds on Apple commercials, right? Well they did that with the payoff being the last shot revealing where they were... just a typical location with a guy who just walked off th street to give his testimony. Boring concept, executed perfectly.

To see the difference between Apple's ads and everyone else, witeness the current "man on the street" ads from one of the other phone companies. There's one to do with a guy running around asking people what they would spend the $300 they would save a year (another crap concept) on. Some answer are "oh yeah, MP3 player" and "salsa lessons". LOL It's laughable how terrible they are. Now go look at these new Apple ads again and you'll come to see how brilliant they are.

These new ads are set up like a great joke... a one-two punch with the payoff at the end. While I only find the first one amusing, they do the job they are intended for and they do it well.

Quit bitching because they don't make you rofl or have some emo punk crying about not being able to hack it for some suck 3rd-party apps. Good grief.

Besides, there ARE going to be some great spoof of these. Yet another way they are perfect and successful. Sorry haters.

Evangelion
Oct 8, 2007, 08:14 AM

What's disappointing about it? Or do you feel that Apple should display their "gender-equality" through superficial things like the actors in their ads?

fiftydollarshoe
Oct 8, 2007, 08:18 AM
Agreed. Also the ads are not aimed at those on this forum. They are aimed at those who know little or nothing about the iPhone. ie not those who spend 6 hours a day on internet forums but those who actually need the internet quickly to get a vital piece of information.....

Guys,

These are actually very well done. The ad agency, not Apple mind you, took a hackneyed concept, "Man on the Street", and made it Apple's version. It was brilliant the way they set it up. How? Wel,we're all used to black backgrounds on Apple commercials, right? Well they did that with the payoff being the last shot revealing where they were... just a typical location with a guy who just walked off th street to give his testimony. Boring concept, executed perfectly.

To see the difference between Apple's ads and everyone else, witeness the current "man on the street" ads from one of the other phone companies. There's one to do with a guy running around asking people what they would spend the $300 they would save a year (another crap concept) on. Some answer are "oh yeah, MP3 player" and "salsa lessons". LOL It's laughable how terrible they are. Now go look at these new Apple ads again and you'll come to see how brilliant they are.

These new ads are set up like a great joke... a one-two punch with the payoff at the end. While I only find the first one amusing, they do the job they are intended for and they do it well.

Quit bitching because they don't make you rofl or have some emo punk crying about not being able to hack it for some suck 3rd-party apps. Good grief.

Besides, there ARE going to be some great spoof of these. Yet another way they are perfect and successful. Sorry haters.

Derwood
Oct 8, 2007, 08:37 AM
Gash. Total gash.

dogged
Oct 8, 2007, 08:40 AM

I don't know about 'worst', but I wasn't crazy about them.

Takeo
Oct 8, 2007, 09:11 AM
why is everyone all pissy about there not being women? you get all your own razors, clubs, cancer awareness magnets... isn't it time the men got their 15 minutes of attention?

That's because our cancers are colons, prostates and testicles. No one wants to wear a ribbon about that! LOL. Ick :P

p.s. these are only the first three... I'm sure there will be a whole series of ads... and of course there will be women.

Takeo
Oct 8, 2007, 09:21 AM
1) Boom mics/post-production wiping.
2) Maybe they intentionally filmed them all in bright, midday sun? That's what people do when they film - they choose times and locations for certain lighting conditions...

I don't get why everyone's so skeptical. It's not like their stories are so out there.

They were definitely shot in a studio. The "sun" is coming from exactly the same angle and direction in all three spots. Some people said the lighting was "bad" and "too harsh"... but obviously... they were trying to make it look like they were standing in bright sunshine. And in the Stephano spot... he's supposedly standing right beside a building to his right. So unless the sun can shine through a brick wall... these were shot in a studio.

I think it may have been cooler if they were actually shot on the street... with some street noise... wind ruffling the backdrop... etc. But then it would have ruined the "reveal" at the end. I get the concept... make it look like they are in a studio but then it turns out they are just a "man on the street"... but it doesn't "read well"... as they say in the ad biz... and it doesn't have much punch. I'd forget the reveal and just do actual "man on the street" spots... maybe. As with anything... a LOT of it is in the execution. I think the execution was lacking.

As for the ads themselves... I think the acting / casting is not so great. Again... not well executed. Doug is kinda funny... but the kid seems really fake / stiff / trying too hard / overacting.

Oh... and one last point... Stephano said his other phone was for "texting and emails and stuff"... so he's talking about a Blackberry.

Takeo
Oct 8, 2007, 09:27 AM
I get that... but I don't think the reveal / payoff at the end has much punch / power. It's a neat idea... a way to do a 'man on the street' ad that's classy... not cheesy... but I'm like 'oh... ok... they were supposedly on a street' (NOT)... whatever.

Guys,

!ˇ V ˇ!
Oct 8, 2007, 09:38 AM

Lindsay was busy intoxicating herself. ;):D

Naimfan
Oct 8, 2007, 10:04 AM
I thought they were thoroughly mediocre.

cmob
Oct 8, 2007, 10:14 AM
Guys,

-- "Boring concept, executed perfectly."

I can see the ad presentation now:

Ad agency creative director, "Here's the concept: A turd with a
black background and your logo."

Apple marketing guy, "Brilliant!"

-- "These new ads are set up like a great joke."

It's not a great joke if nobody wants to listen. And even you admit that you only find the first one amusing.

-- "They are perfect and successful."

Successful? These ads are only successful if they significantly contribute to iPhone sales and strengthen the Apple brand. Judging by the replies on this thread, I'd say they are a flop. if Apple has resorted to watering down their ads & image in order to appeal to more people, they are in big trouble and risk becoming as bland a brand as my local bank - or even worse, Microsoft - while alienating there core customer base.

BTW
Oct 8, 2007, 10:18 AM
They were pretty boring ads to me. I saw one during Desparate Housewives.

They need to get someone who has hacked their iPhone (pre 1.1.1) in one of those commercials to spice things up. :p

altoption
Oct 8, 2007, 10:28 AM
Neither entertaining or insightful, and worse, the people aren't appealing. There's something vaguely icky about the whole thing that makes me *not* want to be associated with them. Very un-Apple.

blybug
Oct 8, 2007, 11:02 AM
Neither entertaining or insightful, and worse, the people aren't appealing. There's something vaguely icky about the whole thing that makes me *not* want to be associated with them. Very un-Apple.
I am a MacRumors forum geek, iPhone owner, and at some level a (not completely apologetic) Apple fanboy. My wife is an ordinary person who does appreciate the elegance of being in a Mac family and tolerates my strange religion with an amused eye-roll attitude.

When we saw the Stefano ad last night during "Family Guy" she said "That was a terrible ad" and my gut feeling was the same...since on TV the AT&T logo was revealed first and for a bit longer, I immediately defended my Applehood telling her "Must have been an AT&T ad trying to capture the Apple feel" but then I wasn't so sure...

I will say this, somehow, boring as it was, the ad caught our attention and we both watched it through kind of like "What is this...?"

Steve Jobs=God
Oct 8, 2007, 11:26 AM
"One of the greatest advancements in the history of mankind"

Ummm....no it isn't, not even close

Takeo
Oct 8, 2007, 11:42 AM
"One of the greatest advancements in the history of mankind"

Ummm....no it isn't, not even close

I agree. Cheesecake is... by far... the greatest advancement of mankind! Preferably with cherry's on top. And like visual voicemail... you can also eat it in a non-linear fashion.

barryd
Oct 8, 2007, 11:50 AM
-- "Boring concept, executed perfectly."

I can see the ad presentation now:

Ad agency creative director, "Here's the concept: A turd with a
black background and your logo."

Apple marketing guy, "Brilliant!"

+1 for oversimplification. They probably had 10 mock-ups ready to go and showed 3 and even then I'm sure the ad guys hate to present to Apple ecause there is no playing fast and loose with that brand.

-- "These new ads are set up like a great joke."

It's not a great joke if nobody wants to listen. And even you admit that you only find the first one amusing.

Just because nobody wants to listen to a joke doesn't lessen the quality of the joke itself. So...anyway.
Also, yes I only found the first one amusing. That's the only one I believe that was even meant to try and get chuckles. But just because one of the three was humorous means nothing. Man on the street concepts are meant to inform customers of a product's features and benefits, and how an average person can take advantage of those qualities. That's the premise of every man on the street commercial. They're not meant to be humorous, just happens the one is, slightly.

-- "They are perfect and successful."

Successful? These ads are only successful if they significantly contribute to iPhone sales and strengthen the Apple brand. Judging by the replies on this thread, I'd say they are a flop. if Apple has resorted to watering down their ads & image in order to appeal to more people, they are in big trouble and risk becoming as bland a brand as my local bank - or even worse, Microsoft - while alienating there core customer base.

Not every commercial is meant to strengthen a brand. There are many times other more significant objectives. Your last sentence makes zero sense... they are "watering down their ads & image in order to appeal to more people, they are in big trouble and risk" what? Becoming successful? Gaining marketshare? Becoming top-of-mind in a demographic previously unattainable? Simply appealing to more people, as you put it? I think that's the name of the game, yes?

I'm actually shocked that Apple actually greenlighted such a concept. It shows they are interested in appealing to normal everyday people and how the iPhone can enhance their normal, everyday lives. They're not meant for MacRumors forum junkies so quit acting like they're supposed to appeal to you too. And becasue you're not the target demographic in this case, the bitching and moaning and negative votes even further reinforces my assertion that these commercials are/will be successful.

bretm
Oct 8, 2007, 12:26 PM
These are embarassing. There is nothing original about the features they highlight as any phoned from the last 5 to 6 years has the ability to achieve what these models were doing. Who uses voicemail anymore anyway? If they want to show off a revolutionary and useful feature, how about the way emails are erased by simply dragging them to the side or show Grandma using multitouch to browse and pinch zoom a series of photos of her grand kids? These ads will put off the UK buyers too who have a disdain for cheese. A total contrast to the fantastic introductory and 'how to' videos on the Apple website.

While I agree that these ads are a bore what's the deal with your bizarre visual voicemail comment? Ummm, everyone uses voicemail. Who quit using voicemail? That's the oddest thing I've ever heard. Email and texting are great for sending data, but one of the worst types of communication for conveying feeling, meaning, emphasis. They are not good for important business communication. In person, or at least the spoken word are much better for conveying context.

AND, visual voicemail is really the only revolutionary thing on the iphone. The only thing nobody else can do yet. So obviously they should show that off at some point. And they do demonstrate it on camera decently.

If I were apple I wouldn't touch deleting emails. The next thing you know a competitor will point out how it takes 2 motions to delete one email and how with 2 or 3 motions or clicks they can delete multiple emails. Then they'd probably show how to search email, which apple can't even do. Yeah, Apple should pretty much stay away from their email tech except for how nice it is to look at and scroll through.

CTYankee
Oct 8, 2007, 02:21 PM
as a photographer my first thought was...Dang apple, what happened to your nice soft lighting style?! Then I see they were shot outdoors against a black background. OK, but you already lost me with the low budget look and so so music.

Production quality of these isn't the usual Apple standard and the content is weak. Not going to see these for long.

DMann
Oct 8, 2007, 02:39 PM
as a photographer my first thought was...Dang apple, what happened to your nice soft lighting style?! Then I see they were shot outdoors against a black background. OK, but you already lost me with the low budget look and so so music.

Production quality of these isn't the usual Apple standard and the content is weak. Not going to see these for long.

Agreed.

Fast Shadow
Oct 8, 2007, 02:46 PM
SELLOUT!!

For a company that relies so much on their hip brand, these ads are awfully bland and atypical of Apple. My god, the campaign is based on real person testimonials, the lowest form of advertising! This tripe is typically reserved for health care & financial industry ads, not a cutting edge technology company that can do no wrong.

No offense, but are you new to Apple? The "Switch" campaign they ran a few years ago consisted of "real people" stories. This is not atypical, Apple has done this many times. Their website is also full of "real people" stories, particularly in the pro arena where pro photographers, musicians, animators and filmmakers discuss Macs and Mac based apps and how they relate to their jobs.

DMann
Oct 8, 2007, 02:54 PM
No offense, but are you new to Apple? The "Switch" campaign they ran a few years ago consisted of "real people" stories. This is not atypical, Apple has done this many times. Their website is also full of "real people" stories, particularly in the pro arena where pro photographers, musicians, animators and filmmakers discuss Macs and Mac based apps and how they relate to their jobs.

Ellen Feiss - Way too real.

Clive At Five
Oct 8, 2007, 02:56 PM
"I was writing paper, on the PC. And it was like, "beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep."

"Then half my paper was gone and I was like, 'huuhhhh?' "

There seriously has not been a better Apple commercial since Ellen Feiss'. Even break-dancing iPod silouettes don't do it for me. I'll take Ms Feiss' "it was kinda... a bummer..." anyday.

Okay, and it's nothing perverted like some of you freaks out there. I mean, yeah, she wasn't ugly, but I could never get past the whole 14-years-old thing. Oh don't even try to deny it. I remember plenty o' pervo comments...

Besides, she's definitely lost... something...

http://www.ellenfeiss.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/bed_breakfast.jpg

*shrugs*

Not quite as cute as before...

-Clive

bogman12
Oct 8, 2007, 02:58 PM
These iPhone users obviously just transitioned from a Zack Morris Phone, because the stuff they're braggin' about is "nothing to brag about!"

http://www.boston.com/ae/movies/blog/old_cellphone.jpg

apple ghey

DMann
Oct 8, 2007, 03:07 PM
"Then half my paper was gone and I was like, 'huuhhhh?' "

There seriously has not been a better Apple commercial since Ellen Feiss'. Even break-dancing iPod silouettes don't do it for me. I'll take Ms Feiss' "it was kinda... a bummer..." anyday.

Okay, and it's nothing perverted like some of you freaks out there. I mean, yeah, she wasn't ugly, but I could never get past the whole 14-years-old thing. Oh don't even try to deny it. I remember plenty o' pervo comments...

http://www.ellenfeiss.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/bed_breakfast.jpg

*shrugs*

-Clive

She's entered the 'safe zone' -- sad

the Helix
Oct 8, 2007, 03:20 PM
Those have got to be the stupidest three commercials I have ever seen in my whole life.

Did someone actually pay an ad agency for that?

Clive At Five
Oct 8, 2007, 03:25 PM

She's entered the 'safe zone' -- sad

Is that what you are suggesting she "lost?" Her under-aged-ness?

If so... NO! You perv!

I'm just saying I've definitely seen better looking 18-year-olds.

Not saying she's ugly either, though... just in case she's reading, or something. ;) I don't mean to hurt feelings or anything...

Ellen, you're my favorite!

...Ellen?

-Clive

DMann
Oct 8, 2007, 03:33 PM
Is that what you are suggesting she "lost?" Her under-aged-ness?

If you, No! You perv!

I'm just saying I've definitely seen better looking 18-year-olds.

Not saying she's ugly either, though...

-Clive

Just kidding there Clive...... although, she has lost her youthful vibrance. She's definitely still doable, although I know many 24-28 year olds who project a more youthful appearance.

bogman12
Oct 8, 2007, 03:35 PM
You Feiss fans are loserz.

DMann
Oct 8, 2007, 03:53 PM
You Feiss fans are loserz.

Or perhaps merely missing a female presence in the current slew of ads.

cmob
Oct 8, 2007, 03:58 PM

Oops. Forgot about the national "Switch" campaign. Sorry. But that just goes to show you how much of an impact it made on me, strengthening my belief that testimonials make for weak advertising.

How much creativity does it take for an ad team to "concept" these ads? None. They just put a dude in front of a camera and he babbles about what he likes about the iPhone. At least the "Switch" campaign had interesting people (Yo Yo Ma, Tony Hawk, DJ Qbert, et al). This new campaign has "real" people with real boring things to say.

TurboSC
Oct 8, 2007, 04:13 PM
I agree. Cheesecake is... by far... the greatest advancement of mankind! Preferably with cherry's on top. And like visual voicemail... you can also eat it in a non-linear fashion.

lol, you should write a book.

WannaGoMac
Oct 8, 2007, 04:30 PM
Crap. absolute crap ads.

Virgil-TB2
Oct 8, 2007, 04:33 PM

Where are the iPhone women!?!To be blatantly non-PC about it, ...

the Mac in general, and the iPhone in particular, (being beautiful finely designed items), are often suspected of appealing primarily to women, or to gay or otherwise intelligent/artistic/sensitive men (i.e. - men who care about design).

"Real men" have big ugly phones with dirt on them, lots of buttons and they don't care dammit!. :mad:

So, in order to counter this "chick-phone" perception that the iPhone has, the first ads are full of "men's men." This is so that when they put in the occasional artist or academic later, (Apple's core market after all), or female ... the dudes won't be scared off. :)

Notice how two of the three guys represented here are fairly macho "regular guys" and the only one that *might* be taken for someone who doesn't like sports, pointedly mentions his girlfriend, and his story is all about a marriage.

This is Apple being smart about setting up and knocking down expectations in regards the market segments they sell to, and trying to expand those segments as well as create new ones. They already know that their core market is going to lap up the iPhone, they want to convince the rest of the population that it's useful.

The advertisement says that you don't have to be a nerd, or an "artiste" to appreciate the iPhone and that "regular guys" can appreciate them also.

mashinhead
Oct 8, 2007, 04:34 PM
i personally dislike these ads... they're flat... it feels like they were made by AT&T who were trying to capture the "apple ad aesthetic" but clearly failed...

you're on drugs if you think that jobs would give at&t even and ounce of control over anything associated with his brand. these were made by apple

freddiecable
Oct 8, 2007, 04:39 PM
quite lame and "non-apple'y"

bogman12
Oct 8, 2007, 05:49 PM
What is more annoying is that stupid song/music video they used for the nano ad... Talk about gheyness

cmob
Oct 8, 2007, 05:53 PM
Just because nobody wants to listen to a joke doesn't lessen the quality of the joke itself. So...anyway.

If nobody wants listen to the joke (pay attention to an ad), what's the point of telling it (why bother producing it)? People will just be trained to ignore you the next time you open your mouth (make an ad).

Man on the street concepts are meant to inform customers of a product's features and benefits, and how an average person can take advantage of those qualities. That's the premise of every man on the street commercial.

Really? You've seen every "man on the street" ad ever produced? That's sad. And if true, your life is more pathetic than mine.

But promoting a product is not unique to this type of age-old execution. ("Step right up and try O'Brien's Snake Oil Elixir ! It cures bad breath, cancer, impotence, and it makes you better at gunslinging. Care for a demonstration? Step right up.")

Also, promoting a product's or service's benefits is the goal of most ads, no matter what the style -- man on the street, testimonial, parody, music video, fart joke, etc. It is not exclusive to "man on the street." It just so happens that Apple chose this execution for this campaign. And I think they could have done something much better.

For example, look at the new AT&T ads produced by Wes Anderson. They use actors extolling the virtues of the ATT network. They are well-written, well-casted, well-directed, and uses captivating backgrounds to make the ads more powerful. It's an incredibly strong concept that sells ATT from start to finish while keeping the viewer's attention. The new Apple iPhone spots do none of this. They make me change the channel or go take a whiz.

Not every commercial is meant to strengthen a brand. There are many times other more significant objectives.

Every ad Apple makes and airs during prime time or runs in national magazines is made to strengthen its brand. The Apple brand is one of the strongest brands in the world because they have always done this so well. And whether it's Apple or Jerry's Squirrel & Mole Control, strengthening the brand is ALWAYS the most important marketing objective when you are trying to grow a business. Everything else is built on the brand's foundation. This is Marketing 101.

Your last sentence makes zero sense... they are "watering down their ads & image in order to appeal to more people, they are in big trouble and risk" what? Becoming successful? Gaining marketshare? Becoming top-of-mind in a demographic previously unattainable? Simply appealing to more people, as you put it? I think that's the name of the game, yes?

Apple doesn't need to appear so desperate by producing such common commercials; The company is already extremely successful. My gosh, you could stick an LG or Motorola logo in place of Apple's on the end of these ads and I'd believe it.

When you water down your image, you commoditize yourself, and risk being perceived as no different from any other business in your sector. This would be disastrous for Apple, a company built on the mantra "Think Different."

And assuming it is Apple's objective in these ads to cast a wider net, I don't believe these ads will do well. Apple's already done a great job growing market share with past game plans. Why are they suddenly straying from their bread and butter and doing ads that are so un-Apple?

They're not meant for MacRumors forum junkies so quit acting like they're supposed to appeal to you too. And becasue you're not the target demographic in this case, the bitching and moaning and negative votes even further reinforces my assertion that these commercials are/will be successful.

That's interesting logic: "We don't like the ads. Therefore, other people will."
Where did you get that nugget of wisdom? Plato? Socrates? Jim J Bullock?

Poule
Oct 8, 2007, 06:27 PM
I was approached today by two casting directors who said they couldn't disclose the company they were working for but they were interviewing people who had iPhones. If chosen, I would be flown out to LA. Does anyone know anything about this? Do you think it has to do with the national Apple iPhone ads?

offwidafairies
Oct 8, 2007, 06:45 PM
Disappointing they are all men though.

My thoughts exactly.
I think the ads are really lame.
And the characters are too similar.
If they employed me I'd come up with much better characters.
And there would be as many women as men
And not women swooning over their boyfriends iPhone
But smart women

Masquerade
Oct 8, 2007, 07:51 PM
So i can go to my iphone and search the web for my friend's name.

barryd
Oct 8, 2007, 07:53 PM
Really? You've seen every "man on the street" ad ever produced? That's sad. And if true, your life is more pathetic than mine.

Wow! What a nice easy going person I get to trade opinions with! How refreshing! I thought I would only meet pompous jackasses on this site who respond to posts by belittling people. Whew, I'm glad that's not the case with CMOB! Oh and BTW, I never said I saw every man on the street. Don't need to. What I stated IS the premise of the man on the street concept.

But promoting a product is not unique to this type of age-old execution. ("Step right up and try O'Brien's Snake Oil Elixir ! It cures bad breath, cancer, impotence, and it makes you better at gunslinging. Care for a demonstration? Step right up.")

Also, promoting a product's or service's benefits is the goal of most ads, no matter what the style -- man on the street, testimonial, parody, music video, fart joke, etc. It is not exclusive to "man on the street." It just so happens that Apple chose this execution for this campaign. And I think they could have done something much better.

For example, look at the new AT&T ads produced by Wes Anderson. They use actors extolling the virtues of the ATT network. They are well-written, well-casted, well-directed, and uses captivating backgrounds to make the ads more powerful. It's an incredibly strong concept that sells ATT from start to finish while keeping the viewer's attention. The new Apple iPhone spots do none of this. They make me change the channel or go take a whiz.

This is all your opinion. Great. No comment.

Apple doesn't need to appear so desperate by producing such common commercials; The company is already extremely successful. My gosh, you could stick an LG or Motorola logo in place of Apple's on the end of these ads and I'd believe it.

When you water down your image, you commoditize yourself, and risk being perceived as no different from any other business in your sector. This would be disastrous for Apple, a company built on the mantra "Think Different."

Hyperbole alert! Damn those "common" commercials and appearing "desperate". Luckily, Apple is "extremely" successful or the results could be "disastrous!"

However, yes you are right that when you water down your image, you run the potential risk of becoming a commodity. But I doubt one run of commercials is going to throw all the mindshare Apple has built up over the last 30 years into a tailspin. Of course, your propensity to dash towards the extremes of an argument make me think you must believe this to be true.

And assuming it is Apple's objective in these ads to cast a wider net, I don't believe these ads will do well. Apple's already done a great job growing market share with past game plans. Why are they suddenly straying from their bread and butter and doing ads that are so un-Apple?

A great job growing market share with past game plans?! And those would be? Oh, the ones that brought them out of single digit market share just the past year or two? Or the ones that dropped them to single digits for almost 20 years? And they're doing ads you deem "un-Apple" because maybe dancing shadows don't speak to who they're targeting this go around. Watch out CMOB, the bourgeois are sniffing around Apple products. You might have to share your precious products. Best go dash to the nearest Wes Anderson film fest with a half-caff latte in hand and prepare for the end of the world.

That's interesting logic: "We don't like the ads. Therefore, other people will."
Where did you get that nugget of wisdom? Plato? Socrates? Jim J Bullock?

Actually, I think J.J. Bullock was an effing riot back in his heyday. Thanks! Center square for the block! BTW, you may be surprised ads are not all meant for the same people. Crazy concept. It's like, I wonder if the crazy injury lawyer, correspondence school and annuity settlement ads during Maury are for me or the people that sit around the house all day without jobs watching TV? Hmmmm, such a mystery. So the lesson CMOB, is it's not about "liking" an ad, it's about the ad's effectiveness in speaking to whom the ad was produced.

Now look what you've done CMOB, you made me act like a pompous jackass who had to resort to belittling someone. I hope you're happy. Gotta go, my latte is getting cold.

Rot'nApple
Oct 8, 2007, 07:58 PM
Thats really odd. How are the ad's for everyone else using Firefox/Mac?

Worked fine for me (2.16 24" white iMac)

Rot'nApple
Oct 8, 2007, 08:03 PM
I think Apple and Geico should team up for an exclusive character featuring; appearance.

Such a commercial would generate an insane amount of attention to both companies.

Of course the commercial must end with, "iPhone...so easy a caveman can use it." :D

"My girlfriend and mother are calling, I'll put it on three way speaker"...:D

What better time to do so... I am, afterall, talking to a therapist!!!

boss1
Oct 8, 2007, 08:11 PM
i still think a Geico + Apple commercial is a win. All of these posts defending these 3 commercials are stretching for defense. Ive seen public access local store commercials that fair better.

Sarcasm and a comedic approach works much better in the US, even for commercials that try to appeal to and relate to the viewer on a personal level. Commercials that entertain, shock, make u laugh, have a fashionable appeal, are proven to work in the US.

This series of commercials lack all of these qualities + they're boring.

Here's an idea. Put a guy ( or gal ) on a beach relaxed, like in the Corona commercials ( minus the beer ). Have him/ her complete a multitude of tasks on the iPhone ( pay the bills, email co workers, order office supplies online, etc. On the same commercial, show a dreary , comedic look of a similar person in a lame office struggling to complete the same tasks on a multitude of not so easy to use devices.

SPUY767
Oct 8, 2007, 09:14 PM
The commercials definitely have a sterile at&t feel to them, almost like T produced them and Apple's just hosting them on their website as a corteousy.

cmob
Oct 8, 2007, 09:40 PM
Please, barryd, take a xanax.

This response is so full of rambling gibberish and non sequiturs, that I'm not even going to waste my time with a complete response. Obviously, you are not even paying attention to what you or I wrote in earlier posts.

I will, however, clarify that when I refer to Apple's "previous game plans," I am talking about Apple post-iMac, 1998 to present; a time when the Apple brand as we know it today, was created.

Finally, I never stooped so low to call you names and resort to bitter sarcasm and sardonic posts. Check my posts, barryd. I'm just calmly arguing why I think the new ads are not good. If you can't take a couple subtle pokes in the ribs along the way without blowing up, that's a shame.

Now, go to bed. it's late. And you have high school in the morning.

Wow! What a nice easy going person I get to trade opinions with! How refreshing! I thought I would only meet pompous jackasses on this site who respond to posts by belittling people. Whew, I'm glad that's not the case with CMOB! Oh and BTW, I never said I saw every man on the street. Don't need to. What I stated IS the premise of the man on the street concept.

This is all your opinion. Great. No comment.

Hyperbole alert! Damn those "common" commercials and appearing "desperate". Luckily, Apple is "extremely" successful or the results could be "disastrous!"

However, yes you are right that when you water down your image, you run the potential risk of becoming a commodity. But I doubt one run of commercials is going to throw all the mindshare Apple has built up over the last 30 years into a tailspin. Of course, your propensity to dash towards the extremes of an argument make me think you must believe this to be true.

A great job growing market share with past game plans?! And those would be? Oh, the ones that brought them out of single digit market share just the past year or two? Or the ones that dropped them to single digits for almost 20 years? And they're doing ads you deem "un-Apple" because maybe dancing shadows don't speak to who they're targeting this go around. Watch out CMOB, the bourgeois are sniffing around Apple products. You might have to share your precious products. Best go dash to the nearest Wes Anderson film fest with a half-caff latte in hand and prepare for the end of the world.

Actually, I think J.J. Bullock was an effing riot back in his heyday. Thanks! Center square for the block! BTW, you may be surprised ads are not all meant for the same people. Crazy concept. It's like, I wonder if the crazy injury lawyer, correspondence school and annuity settlement ads during Maury are for me or the people that sit around the house all day without jobs watching TV? Hmmmm, such a mystery. So the lesson CMOB, is it's not about "liking" an ad, it's about the ad's effectiveness in speaking to whom the ad was produced.

Now look what you've done CMOB, you made me act like a pompous jackass who had to resort to belittling someone. I hope you're happy. Gotta go, my latte is getting cold.

unigolyn
Oct 8, 2007, 10:37 PM
The second ad is a complete failure. The "man on the street" concept requires the viewer to:

1. Believe that they are seeing a real person, not an actor, and;
2. Identify with the person they're seeing.

"Elliot" conveys a story about how he totally saved his girlfriend from embarrassment by using his iPhone under the table to look up his girlfriend's boss's fiancé's name. Which would be a story to tell a couple of years after it happened, once your girlfriend has changed jobs.

Since the iPhone has been out for three months, this supposedly happened sometime in the past three months! And now you're on national television during every fourth commercial break, telling everyone! Including your girlfriend's boss! Way to go being discrete, asshat.

So "Elliot" comes across as either an actor blatantly reading a dumb script, or a complete and utter idiot, failing both objectives of the "man on the street" ad.

ImAlwaysRight
Oct 8, 2007, 11:06 PM
Only one side of the lighting appears to be working. You think they could have spent the bucks to got a more reliable company to shoot the commercials.

;)

mickhyperion
Oct 8, 2007, 11:57 PM
I would really like for Stefano to come over to my place. Apple, arrange this please. Thanks.

Spymit007
Oct 9, 2007, 03:51 AM
You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Here is why:

As I mentioned previously in this thread, I know Elliot (and yes that is his real name FYI). The story is true. His girlfriend who happens to be one of my close best friends from high school told me about it weeks before that he was going to be in an apple ad.

What is so hard to believe about the story? Did it ever occur to you that yeah, perhaps the girlfriend no longer works for the boss mentioned in the ad? Or that if the boss or his fiancé happened to be watching the TV one night and saw the ad, they wouldn't chuckle at it?

Again, I love it how people can so easily bash someone else online without knowing the whole story. You must feel real proud of yourself to call someone who you've never met or know anything about a "complete and utter idiot."

I have been reading these forums for many years now and I don't post a lot but to see disparaging remarks thrown at my friend is really low. He's been getting a lot of congratulatory phone calls, emails, and other messages because he's become somewhat of a celebrity in his circle of friends and family. He doesn't read these forums because he's a lot better than all of us who spend time here. Not that he'd care somebody who he never met called him an "asshat." That's real classy of you.

Next time, try thinking about something before you go off spouting a rant based in absolutely nothing but your high-minded condescension.

The second ad is a complete failure. The "man on the street" concept requires the viewer to:

1. Believe that they are seeing a real person, not an actor, and;
2. Identify with the person they're seeing.

"Elliot" conveys a story about how he totally saved his girlfriend from embarrassment by using his iPhone under the table to look up his girlfriend's boss's fiancé's name. Which would be a story to tell a couple of years after it happened, once your girlfriend has changed jobs.

Since the iPhone has been out for three months, this supposedly happened sometime in the past three months! And now you're on national television during every fourth commercial break, telling everyone! Including your girlfriend's boss! Way to go being discrete, asshat.

So "Elliot" comes across as either an actor blatantly reading a dumb script, or a complete and utter idiot, failing both objectives of the "man on the street" ad.

Manic Mouse
Oct 9, 2007, 04:43 AM
My thoughts exactly.
I think the ads are really lame.
And the characters are too similar.
If they employed me I'd come up with much better characters.
And there would be as many women as men
And not women swooning over their boyfriends iPhone
But smart women

Who buys more iPhones, men or women?

Apple are simply selling to their demographic, women are rarely interested in technology and (compared to men) relatively ignorant about it. What do you think the ratio of women to men is on this forum?

Steve Jobs=God
Oct 9, 2007, 05:52 AM
You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Here is why:

As I mentioned previously in this thread, I know Elliot (and yes that is his real name FYI). The story is true. His girlfriend who happens to be one of my close best friends from high school told me about it weeks before that he was going to be in an apple ad.

What is so hard to believe about the story? Did it ever occur to you that yeah, perhaps the girlfriend no longer works for the boss mentioned in the ad? Or that if the boss or his fiancé happened to be watching the TV one night and saw the ad, they wouldn't chuckle at it?

Again, I love it how people can so easily bash someone else online without knowing the whole story. You must feel real proud of yourself to call someone who you've never met or know anything about a "complete and utter idiot."

I have been reading these forums for many years now and I don't post a lot but to see disparaging remarks thrown at my friend is really low. He's been getting a lot of congratulatory phone calls, emails, and other messages because he's become somewhat of a celebrity in his circle of friends and family. He doesn't read these forums because he's a lot better than all of us who spend time here. Not that he'd care somebody who he never met called him an "asshat." That's real classy of you.

Next time, try thinking about something before you go off spouting a rant based in absolutely nothing but your high-minded condescension.

Whats the website address for her bosses wedding website? i wanna see it, because unless it was called "elliotsgirlfriendsbosseswedding.com" they would have surely knew the name of the person

Evangelion
Oct 9, 2007, 07:44 AM
Whats the website address for her bosses wedding website? i wanna see it, because unless it was called "elliotsgirlfriendsbosseswedding.com" they would have surely knew the name of the person

Well, the girlfriend obviously knew her bosses name (for example: Smith Smithers), what she didn't know was the fiancees name. How to proceed? Well, use google. My suggestion for keywords would be something like.... oh, I dunno: "Smith Smithers" wedding.

Orng
Oct 9, 2007, 08:16 AM
The lighting Stinks! And yes, I do lighting for film and video, though only rarely these days, I've moved to a more office-oriented production job in my advancing years.

I had a lot of trouble with Videos and other features on Apple's site with Safari until I upgraded Safari past version 1.3.2
Had to use Firefox to view Apple's site, and a lot of other sites, especially Ajax-enabled sites like Google calendar.

Of course, to upgrade Safari, I had to upgrade to Tiger. But hey, Panther was gettin' old.

Evangelion
Oct 9, 2007, 08:41 AM
The lighting Stinks!

Maybe that's the idea? If they had perfect actors giving perfect performances in perfect lighting, it would look fake.

Orng
Oct 9, 2007, 11:10 AM
Maybe that's the idea? If they had perfect actors giving perfect performances in perfect lighting, it would look fake.

Maybe that was the idea, but the execution fails. When you're going for natural, it's way better to not notice the lighting than to notice crappy lighting, and I noticed crappy lighting. It doesn't look like average folk in average places with natural lighting. It looks like average folk in average places with crappy lighting. Big difference. Add to that the effect of the black BG. My reaction is, some grip set up that BG. Why wasn't that same grip standing there holding a flex fill at least to soften the shadows?

The end impression, for me, is that they're going for reality by throwing in a few elements that say "reality" but they're doing a half-@ssed job of it by trying to convince me they're so understaffed they can't fill that shadow when somebody has obviously set up that black.

I also noticed that there were no pylons or tape or anything to keep passerby from tripping on the stands. So it's obviously a closed set. That knocks the reality factor down a few more notches and makes me think, just use the damn flex-fill! Yeah, I know most people wouldn't notice that, but my instinctive reaction to the wide shot showing the BG was "Somebody get a pylon on that stand!"

Doctor Q
Oct 9, 2007, 11:21 AM
I think you've put more thought into this than Apple did, Orng! Luckily, most of the viewing public won't know the difference. If a random consumer sitting on his or her sofa gets the impression that some guy on TV likes his iPhone, the ad may serve its purpose all the same.

Mike Teezie
Oct 9, 2007, 11:37 AM
I saw the ads this weekend during my routine NFL-a-thons.

I was blown away at how absolutely mediocre they are. The lighting is terrible. The only semi-cool part is the end, when the wider shot shows the backdrop in the middle of the city.

The first iPhone ads were great, these are very disappointing.

dethl
Oct 9, 2007, 12:23 PM
I saw one of the ads yesterday - I wouldn't have caught it since I record everything on my TiVo but this was right after one of my shows. It was the "One Thing" commercial and I have to say - it sucked bad. It didn't feel at all like the switcher ads Apple did in the past - those were simply amazing. It felt like the guy was an actor, not a regular person.

What I really want to know is - who is Apple targeting with these commercials?

Fortimir
Oct 9, 2007, 01:06 PM
Terrible Ads.

Especially since one guy mentions that before the iPhone he had a separate phone for calls and a separate phone for texting? ...because that make sense. :rolleyes:

SPUY767
Oct 9, 2007, 06:45 PM
Terrible Ads.

Especially since one guy mentions that before the iPhone he had a separate phone for calls and a separate phone for texting? ...because that make sense. :rolleyes:

Is it entirely inconceivable that he had a company issued blackberry, as I did, for e-mail and his personal phone?

megfilmworks
Oct 9, 2007, 08:46 PM
Yes I understand that, but I think they were filmed poorly.What ever you saw in the production quality was not accidental.

megfilmworks
Oct 9, 2007, 08:59 PM
Who buys more iPhones, men or women?

Apple are simply selling to their demographic, women are rarely interested in technology and (compared to men) relatively ignorant about it.
I know as many women who have iphones as men, and they seem to like them even more than the men. There is nothing hotter than a gorgeous, powerful, woman dressed for work (or dinner) with her iPhone. Mmmm :rolleyes:

Fortimir
Oct 10, 2007, 03:21 PM
Is it entirely inconceivable that he had a company issued blackberry, as I did, for e-mail and his personal phone?

If I recall correctly, he also mentioned a third device in addition to those two.

Sandylondon
Oct 10, 2007, 09:41 PM
Is it just me, or are the new ads just a little bit more boring and 'corporate' than they need to be?

I would love a new iPhone, but the ads are a bit too 'obvious' in their selling style and could do with a bit more humour in my opinion. I likes the old Macs ads

Although the reason that I don't own one is more to do with the fact that i can't afford it. ;)

Poule
Oct 12, 2007, 11:18 AM
All I have to say is that I don't think these ads are fake and apparently Apple is trying to widen the demographic they represent. As I mentioned in a previous post that seemed to have gone unnoticed, last week I was approached by two casting agents asking if I'd like to do an interview for an iPhone ad. They couldn't say who it was for, but going by the questions they asked me, it seemed awfully similar to the questions they probably asked the people in the current ads. Like: what's a funny anecdote related to your iPhone?

By the way, I'm female and 26 years old (and not an actor!), so obviously they were going out their way to stray from the all male cast they've got going on now.

cornfedgrowth
Oct 12, 2007, 11:04 PM
Personally, I really dislike the new ads. My first thought was that they were produced by AT&T, not Apple. While some might find it personal, they seem way too annoying and not characteristic of Apple Advertising. I also hate the hard lighting from the left. I dont know why, but it seriously bugs me.

-Alex

DMann
Oct 12, 2007, 11:37 PM
Personally, I really dislike the new ads. My first thought was that they were produced by AT&T, not Apple. While some might find it personal, they seem way too annoying and not characteristic of Apple Advertising. I also hate the hard lighting from the left. I dont know why, but it seriously bugs me.

-Alex

You are certainly not alone.....