Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dankn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Ok here is my predicament. I currently have a 15" powerbook 1.5GHZ. It is in ok shape. However, lately I have found my self wanting more power and have lusted for the new aluminum imac. I have not had a desktop in 4 years but the imac is getting great reviews and it looks oh so sleek. Anyway, I am trying to decide if I should by a 20" imac or save for a new mac book pro. I do take my laptop a lot of places and I love surfing the web on my couch or in bed. But a new macbook pro is really expensive. To make things more enticing, my school is offering a free 1gb upgrade to 2gb with the purchase of a new imac on top of the $50 discount. I am curious to what other people would do if they were making this choice so please comment! What are the pros and cons for each system? Thanks.

wizwaz3

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2006
Northern Arizona
Do you have to sell the Powerbook? If not, opt for the iMac and use the Powerbook around the house or out and about. If you don't, I recommend saving for an MBP because if you've grown accustom to the freedom of laptops, you will feel hindered getting a desktop. Besides, the iMacs and MBPs are on the same parallel in terms of specs (except the 2.8GHz 24"er). It would be just as powerful, but mobile. Just my personal opinion.

redraidermacman

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
Ok here is my predicament. I currently have a 15" powerbook 1.5GHZ. It is in ok shape. However, lately I have found my self wanting more power and have lusted for the new aluminum imac. I have not had a desktop in 4 years but the imac is getting great reviews and it looks oh so sleek. Anyway, I am trying to decide if I should by a 20" imac or save for a new mac book pro. I do take my laptop a lot of places and I love surfing the web on my couch or in bed. But a new macbook pro is really expensive. To make things more enticing, my school is offering a free 1gb upgrade to 2gb with the purchase of a new imac on top of the $50 discount. I am curious to what other people would do if they were making this choice so please comment! What are the pros and cons for each system? Thanks.

i would get the imac, it would be a very good computer for a long time and your powerbook will still do a lot of the things you need a laptop for, so it would prolly be better to have a workstation at home and then have your laptop for other times, better than having 2 laptops.....imho

l33r0y

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
Having 2 machines will also help in terms of redundancy. If you keep your data sync'd, you'll have a backup if the unthinkable happens.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Depending on the configurations, the iMac and MBP can be quite similar in specs except for the screen size. So for you, I guess the deciding factor should be how important is the mobility of the MBP to you? Answer that and you have made your decision.

Jimmdean

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2007
Just my 2 cents, but if you're debating between an iMac and a Macbook Pro, you probably don't really need a laptop, especially one as expensive as the MBP. Try to decide between a regular Macbook and an iMac first. If the laptop can't win in that comparison, you probably don't really need one and are better off saving some money. Besides, you'll still have your Powerbook for when you really need mobility...

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I'll put in my extra few cents for the OP. Your Powerbook is an excellent machine and it will work very well with Leopard if you so choose to upgrade. The iMac across the board is a better overall value over the Macbook Pro.

The Macbook Pro top model: 17" Screen, 2.4Ghz, 2GB ram, 160GB 5400RPM HDD, DX 10 GPU, 16X10 widescreen, dual layer burner, $2799.00 U.S.

The iMac top model: 20" Screen, 2.4 Ghz, 1GB ram, 320GB 7200RPM HDD, DX 10 GPU, 16X10 widescreen, dual layer burner, 1499.00.

The iMac 24" top model: 2.8 Ghz, 2GB ram, 500GB 7200RPM HDD, DX 10 GPU, 1920X1200 S-IPS widescreen, dual layer burner and wall mountable. $2299.00 U.S.

With the Macbooks you are paying for notebook convenience and not features. I love my new iMac because I can now move it around the house easily from the bedroom to the living room to the patio. The iMac is the best solution for power and portability so keep your Powerbook and get an iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.