Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
After a windy path, IDG announced today that Mac World Expo 2004 will be held in Boston at the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center (BCEC) from July 12 to July 15th, 2004.

This concludes the drama that has surrounded the 2004 Conference's move to Boston. The most recent reports had placed it back in New York. Apple, however, will still not be a part of the summer Mac Expo according to MacMinute.com.

Apple does remain committed to the MacWorld San Francisco conference which takes place each January.

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
well it's nice for me, but not as good as it could have been. if they keep the creative pro aspect, would there be any point in a non-creative pro going (like me)?

Peej

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2003
LA, CA
Great!

Now that they've finally figured that out maybe it'll be the showcase for the G4 Powerbook revision!:)

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
What's the point anymore?

Is there really a point to this expo if Apple isn't going to come? Those of you that went this year - was it worth the journey in your opinion, or would you rather just save your $$ and go to California?

(that's a question for the folk who would pay to go anyway... not for those of you who would go if it were next door to you, but not down the street.)

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
Well, at least it's been settled.

I don't doubt that after all the wranglings, the expo will be of little import, whether the final decision was to hold it in Boston or in New York.

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
Meh. This all just smacks of Apple wanting out of MWNY because of cost and upgrade cycle reasons. I think that Apple's official stance on this kinda sucks -- they should either just come flat out and say that they don't want to participate in the east coast MacWorld anymore (not because of the move to Boston), or they should just suck it up and attend. Steve Jobs doesn't HAVE to keynote the east coast MacWorld.

Not that this is really a big deal to me, as long as MWSF remains safe. I assume it will be, since it attracts a bunch more Mac users than MWNY ever did. Plus, I live around SF, so it had BETTER not move or be cancelled. :D

gopy

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2003
Typical Jobs arrogance, and without a nice backup plan (WWDC, at the moment), boneheaded (until Jobs/Apple unveils the alternative that I'm sure 'sbeen brewin'). Although, I guess I'm lucky for being able to see him in his first keynote since taking over ('97/Boston)...

mstecker

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Philadelphia
Why would anyone go?

Really, what's the point of a MacWorld without Apple participation?

I think that the egg here is going to be on the face of all of the Boston politicans who bent over backwards to get "MacWorld" to come back to Boston. Well, now they're going to have it, but no one will be there.

Really, the new Boston convention center is huge - and out of the way. The old convention center at the Hynes would at least have gotten a moderate amount of walk-in traffic. No one is accidentally walking by the new convention center.

People talk about SJ's arrogance: how about IDG's? Thinking that their show is even worth going to without Apple - that takes the cake.

Oh well, this just means that I'm going to go to the west coast for the Januray "real" MacWorld.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Re: MacWorld Boston 2004

Originally posted by Macrumors
Apple does remain committed to the MacWorld San Francisco conference which takes place each January.

This should be a certainty.
If there is one show all Mac-ethousiasts want to look forward to, it's the first annual kick-ass Steve show. It's all perfect: close to Apple HQ, start of the new calendar year, and it's held conveniently in the evening in Europe :D

MWSF is THE #1 Apple/Mac show on earth.

MacKenzie999

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2002
Boston
Re: Why would anyone go?

Originally posted by mstecker

<snip> The old convention center at the Hynes would at least have gotten a moderate amount of walk-in traffic.

The Hynes wasn't big enough for Macworld Boston, which in the past was awkwardly split between two venues (that required a bus transfer through a not-particularly-pretty section of Boston).

That in itself was reason enough for Apple to withdraw, but now that there's the new convention center it simply feels like Apple is giving Boston the finger. Considering their pursuit of the education market this seems unwise, but who am I to second-guess Apple? I just don't like feeling dissed, being from Boston.

$.02

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Re: What's the point anymore?

Originally posted by Mudbug
Is there really a point to this expo if Apple isn't going to come? Those of you that went this year - was it worth the journey in your opinion, or would you rather just save your $$ and go to California?

(that's a question for the folk who would pay to go anyway... not for those of you who would go if it were next door to you, but not down the street.)

I went this year the Creative Pro, it was almost not worth it.

I mean it almost spoiled my previous experiances.

There were few 'brands' or real places, heck MacWorld wasn't thee and it is Called MacWorld Creative Pro!

:confused:

If it is gonna be like that at Boston, I will NOT go.

Really.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I live in boston and I still might not go next year... Apple is 90% of the draw, at least for me.

I don't understand why they had to be such jerks about this though. :mad:

MacKenzie999

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2002
Boston
Re: Re: Re: Why would anyone go?

Originally posted by mstecker
Trust me, this time around, without Apple's involvement - it'd be plenty big.

Yeah, that did sort of occur to me. In fact, I have a spare bedroom in my apt. in Boston which I might volunteer, it's probably big enough for a no- Apple Macworld.

iAlan

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2002
The Paris Expo is an Apple organized event isn't it? And there is talk of Apple being the ones to put together a new Tokyo Expo.

I would not be surprised if Apple do not create their own 'Expo group' who put together 4 shows a year - SF, NY, Paris and Tokyo. They may use another event partner, but will dictate the terms.

I happened to be in NY when the expo was on so I went. Not at all impressed. I have been to the Tokyo Expo twice and these were much better, even though I was told by a vendor at one of these that it didn't even come cose to SF.

It doesn't matter who organizes the event, if Apple is there so will the masses, if Apple ain't there with a strong presence then the masses ain't going to bother.

Another note, Apple needs to showcase itself, but wouldn't an event that is not tailored to the Apple crowd pay off better? I mean, put a huge-ass Apple booth smack in the middle of a PC Expo and watch the mouths drop on all those PC users. Showcase the OS, the software and the machines.....no need to preach to the converted...

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Boston isn't too far away but New York was closer to me, plus I probably won't go now that Apple isn't going. It might not me worth it.

GeoMac

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2003
Boston
I'll check it out if I don't have anything else to do that weekend, but with apple not even being there, it definitely won't take priority over anything else should it come up. Like mowing the lawn, washing the car, etc, etc....

iPC

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2003
East Windsor, CT
There should be 3 or 4 Expo's per year.

Chicago (central US if no east and west coast)
Tokyo (Asian market should be bigger)
Paris (European market growing, I don't care for London much)
Sydney (mid-summer would be nice ;))

(I live 40min from JJC in NYC)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.