Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grizzlybrice

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Playa Del Rey, CA
So my roommate just splurged for a black iPod nano, he got it engraved from the website, but it came in as a lemon.

The connecting port on the bottom connected fine at first but on a second try it didn't fit right and we think something inside the bottom got bent. Now the connector kind of "smushes" in and doesn't connect with the computer at all, nor to his new Nike+ he got to go with it.

So what we were wondering, what should he do? I mean, the apple store for repairs is the most logical decision, but how will the engraving hinder things? Could he exchange it in store if repairs can't be made? He's getting pretty frustrated with it now (kind of fun to watch actually...) and I thought I'd lend a hand by reaching out to the community I can trust.:D

gB

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
Just simply returning engraved iPods are what causes trouble with engravings from my experience. If you just bring it to the genius bar and tell them the problems you're having with it, they should just take it and treat it like any other iPod in need of testing/service.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
You will not be able to get a replacement, but they will look at it and give you a course of action.

PS tell your friend- Engraving is a gimic to keep the flood of used iPods down (a very small amount). It gives Apple more money. Thats all.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
You will not be able to get a replacement, but they will look at it and give you a course of action.

PS tell your friend- Engraving is a gimic to keep the flood of used iPods down (a very small amount). It gives Apple more money. Thats all.

Of course he will be able to get a replacement. It just wont be engraved.

Maccleduff

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2007
Maybe somehow you damaged the dock donnector by pulling it out too forcfully? Theres two "buttons" on each side of the connector head which need to be pressed before the cable can be pulled out of the ipod.

grizzlybrice

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Playa Del Rey, CA
Well, Apple sent him a box to return it. We'll see if anything happens :) Took one day for it to show up, and they said up to seven days for it to come back to him. Hopefully they fix it, I can't stand his huffing and puffing anymore. :D

gB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.