PDA

View Full Version : Invisible Shield

beaker26
Oct 8, 2007, 04:56 PM
I know there has been a lot of talk about the Invisible Shield on here so far. But what I haven't seen is pictures. I really just want to see what the back looks like. So if possible could a few of you post pictures of what your touch looks like with the shield on it?

Bowlerguy10
Oct 8, 2007, 05:21 PM
If your going to get something of the sort. Get a Best Skins Ever skin. It is the same exact material and fitting as the IS but for about a 5th of the price. And you can go to theinvisibleshield.com i think it is and watch videos. It shows iPods with the skin on.

golferguy10
Oct 9, 2007, 09:47 AM
The best skins ever stuff doesn't come with free shipping and doesn't come with a lifetime warranty. I don't like their product either. Go with the invisible shield.

phungy
Oct 9, 2007, 11:28 AM
The best skins ever stuff doesn't come with free shipping and doesn't come with a lifetime warranty. I don't like their product either. Go with the invisible shield.

So you've tried both? You do know the material is the exact same. One can buy 4-5 BSE skins for the same price as one skin from SZ. Also consider how long you're going to keep the device. I've been using BSE for over a year and have not needed to place a 2nd skin on any of my electronics. Lifetime warranty is a joke unless you intend on keeping the device for over 20 years which I highly doubt is the case.

It's your money, feel free to spend more on the same material.

DavoMrMac
Oct 9, 2007, 01:01 PM
I always use Exim screen protectors and only ever buy them from ebay for around £7 or $14. They are superb.

uicandrew
Oct 9, 2007, 01:27 PM

ok. let's do some simple math.

expiring today, the bestskinsever is $6+$2 for shipping=$8 (the regular price is $8+$2 shipping)

invisibleshield costs $25 with free shipping.

also, WHO NEEDS A WARRANTY? this isn't something with moveable parts that can break easily. this is a piece of semi-permanent film. also, even if you get a replacement, there is a shippping charge of $3 EACH time

http://www.shieldzone.com/guarantee/index.html

so getting 2 invisible shields costs $28 and 3 shields costs $31, and 4 is $34, and 5 is $37

getting 3 best skins ever costs $24 because it is free shipping (if you buy 3 or more skins at once), and 4 skins is $32, and 5 skins is $40

So just working out the math, you'd have to replace the skins FIVE times before the invisible shield is more economical. not only that, you have to wait for the invisibleshield to be mailed to you and you have to mail the original one back each time. more trouble and hassle.

financially, any one who has done the math and read the details would know that the bestskinsever is a better deal.

kevbo1983
Oct 9, 2007, 04:54 PM
Here you go:

http://kevinwhite.googlepages.com/iTouch-back.jpg

james6000
Oct 9, 2007, 04:58 PM
Wow. Talk about hi res

i0Nic
Oct 9, 2007, 05:20 PM
Here you go:

pic

How did you get it on without any imperfections? I just put my invisibleshield on and it's got a bunch of little air bubbles in it.

I might get a replacement, have you got any tips?

m242
Oct 9, 2007, 05:20 PM
Not quite as high res as the last post, but here's mine - I think IS is a must

kevbo1983
Oct 9, 2007, 05:28 PM
How did you get it on without any imperfections? I just put my invisibleshield on and it's got a bunch of little air bubbles in it.

Make sure you use enough of the liquid. Stick the middle down, then squeegee to the outside. I found the tabs were much harder on the Touch than on my 4th gen, probably because the Touch is alot thinner.

james6000
Oct 9, 2007, 05:34 PM

Although I haven't got an IS for the touch yet I used it for my 5th gen's back. Was horrified at my poor job but give it a couple of days and I can reassure you that most, if not all, bubble and imperfections smooth themself out

zepharus
Oct 9, 2007, 07:57 PM
Not quite as high res as the last post, but here's mine - I think IS is a must

I used the IS on my touch. I applied it PERFECTY, as in there was no chance to apply it better than I did. The fit was crap on the corners and honestly the tactile feel of the IS is crap also. Its like sticking a giant , clear colorform on the back of your touch. Im going stock until I get a hard clear case. I MUCH prefer the feel of it stock. Buy an IS and trust me youll see what im talking about.

Fourbin
Oct 9, 2007, 08:19 PM
I have one and thought that at first I did a terrible job applying but after a few days you can't even tell its on the back. Are you guys using the front piece also? I applied it but can't decide if I like it or not - doesn't have as nice a feel as just using the glass screen.

Also - can you remove it and reapply? There is this tiny piece of dust in the middle of the screen under the shield and its really an eyesore.

Thanks!

uicandrew
Oct 9, 2007, 09:07 PM
I have one and thought that at first I did a terrible job applying but after a few days you can't even tell its on the back. Are you guys using the front piece also? I applied it but can't decide if I like it or not - doesn't have as nice a feel as just using the glass screen.

Also - can you remove it and reapply? There is this tiny piece of dust in the middle of the screen under the shield and its really an eyesore.

Thanks!

you can remove and reapply within about 1 hr of applying it. otherwise, it has had time to "set" and any attempt to remove it would stretch it beyond recognition.

on the other hand, you could also use the "lifetime warranty" and pay another $3 to get another one sent to you (as long as you send the original one back)

on the whole, dust will never go away, but small bubbles will. so don't worry about getting it bubble free, the bubbles will work its way out eventually. it may take 2 days or a couple months (i had a LOT of tiny bubbles on my macbook shield and it took a couple months for it to get worked out)

JonHimself
Oct 9, 2007, 09:46 PM
The warranty isn't necessarily a bad thing. When I got my first invisible shield I had trouble putting it on and ended up taking it on and off a few times. It wouldn't stick as well as it should and it was easily replaced. At the same time, you could just buy a couple BSE skins and it would be the same I guess.

beaker26
Oct 10, 2007, 02:58 AM
Thanks for posting pictures.. I think I'm going to go through one of these companies once I get a touch. I really want to have it stay naked, but I don't want an ugly naked iPod.. I had seen a lot of threads about this by no pictures, so it was nice to see what the result was.

Cache
Oct 10, 2007, 06:33 AM
I read the BSE skin is pretty good, but alot of sand and dirt is getting inside the edges of the skin. That is already reason enough for me to go with an IS instead of a BSE. Also, shieldzone has great customer service (don't know about BSE however).

Anyway, my shield is on the way. I'm just a bit worried about the front... (referring to the decrease in screen sensitivity after taking the front shield off, but then again I think I won't take it off ever anyway.)

uicandrew
Oct 10, 2007, 10:27 AM
The warranty isn't necessarily a bad thing. When I got my first invisible shield I had trouble putting it on and ended up taking it on and off a few times. It wouldn't stick as well as it should and it was easily replaced. At the same time, you could just buy a couple BSE skins and it would be the same I guess.

some simple math.

the bestskinsever is $8+$2 for shipping=$10

also, WHO NEEDS A WARRANTY? this isn't something with moveable parts that can break easily. this is a piece of semi-permanent film. also, even if you get a replacement, there is a shippping charge of $3 EACH time

so getting 2 invisible shields costs $28 and 3 shields costs $31, and 4 is $34, and 5 is $37

getting 3 best skins ever costs $24 because it is free shipping (if you buy 3 or more skins at once), and 4 skins is $32, and 5 skins is $40

So just working out the math, you'd have to replace the skins FIVE times before the invisible shield is more economical. not only that, you have to wait for the invisibleshield to be mailed to you and you have to mail the original one back each time. more trouble and hassle.

phungy
Oct 10, 2007, 10:44 AM
some simple math.

the bestskinsever is $8+$2 for shipping=$10

Glad someone else realizes that SZ pricing and their lifetime warranty is a joke :cool:

screensaver400
Oct 10, 2007, 12:07 PM
I'd be willing to bet that SZ still makes a fair amount of profit on their $3 "warranty replacement" sales.

jmpage2
Oct 10, 2007, 12:24 PM
I read the BSE skin is pretty good, but alot of sand and dirt is getting inside the edges of the skin. That is already reason enough for me to go with an IS instead of a BSE. Also, shieldzone has great customer service (don't know about BSE however).

Anyway, my shield is on the way. I'm just a bit worried about the front... (referring to the decrease in screen sensitivity after taking the front shield off, but then again I think I won't take it off ever anyway.)

Invisible Shield is no better in this regard (I would know seeing as I had one on a 5G iPod for 2 yrs). You have small spaces at the edge of any skin that is going to build up dirt and grime. You can usually clean this away with an alcohol moistened cotton swab and a toothpick for the more difficult stuff.

No skin solution is "perfect".

Cache
Oct 10, 2007, 12:30 PM
Well, maybe. It's just that I havent read anything regarding the edges with an invisible shield untill just now, while quite a few people complained about the BSE's. I guess we'll see, but for now I don't have a single regret of going for the more expensive stuff (sometimes more expensive really is better). Even if it turns out to be equal or worse than a BSE, I'm not gonna worry about 15 bucks. :p

i0Nic
Oct 10, 2007, 12:34 PM
It's been 24hrs since I put the shield on my touch, and sure enough the air bubbles are disappearing. But they are leaving a bit of a mark of where they once were, and I have a stupid crease in my shield due to trying to take it off after it was starting to set. I'm not sure if I'll leave it on yet or order a BSE or another invisible shield replacement.

Does the BSE have the exact same template as Invisibleshield for the touch?

jmpage2
Oct 10, 2007, 01:02 PM
It's been 24hrs since I put the shield on my touch, and sure enough the air bubbles are disappearing. But they are leaving a bit of a mark of where they once were, and I have a stupid crease in my shield due to trying to take it off after it was starting to set. I'm not sure if I'll leave it on yet or order a BSE or another invisible shield replacement.

Does the BSE have the exact same template as Invisibleshield for the touch?

Each company typically does their own so details will probably vary.

jmpage2
Oct 10, 2007, 01:04 PM
Well, maybe. It's just that I havent read anything regarding the edges with an invisible shield untill just now, while quite a few people complained about the BSE's. I guess we'll see, but for now I don't have a single regret of going for the more expensive stuff (sometimes more expensive really is better). Even if it turns out to be equal or worse than a BSE, I'm not gonna worry about 15 bucks. :p

My wife has a Nano with the BSE on it from 2 yrs ago. She hardly ever uses it so the skin looks new. My IS on the other hand got used all the time and looks really beat up.

Cache
Oct 10, 2007, 02:11 PM
So you're comparing a BSE which hardly got used to an IS which got used all the time? :confused:

Not that I don't believe you about the IS, because it's pretty logical that dirt can build up, but you're still the first one I see that says that about an IS. I'm sure both will do a pretty good job, if that's what you wanted to hear. :p

jmpage2
Oct 10, 2007, 02:15 PM
So you're comparing a BSE which hardly got used to an IS which got used all the time? :confused:

Not that I don't believe you about the IS, because it's pretty logical that dirt can build up, but you're still the first one I see that says that about an IS. I'm sure both will do a pretty good job, if that's what you wanted to hear. :p

Do you have any first hand experience with these skins? They are made of an extremely similar material (possibly the same material in different thicknesses). Both use a very mild adhesive which will NOT prevent the edges from curling up over time, especially if the device gets a lot of abrasion from things like being put in pockets, etc.

What I'm saying is that BSE is not any more prone to build up along the edges. It's just a matter of how much use the device gets and how it's handled. If you shove it in a pocket 4 times a day for a year, yes, it's going to get a little bit of curling at the edges and is going to collect dirt, etc. This goes for any skin.

My point is that the BSE will also look "pristine" after a long period of time if the use of the device is minimal and even the expensive Invisible Shield product can show wear and dirt on the edges if it is used constantly and is shoved in and out of pockets, etc.

Cache
Oct 10, 2007, 02:21 PM
Yes, of course I understand that, like I already said...
I dont have any experience with these skins whatsoever and thus I have never claimed one is better than the other.

BUT you compared a BSE with minimal use to an IS with alot of use... see my point?

Anyway, who the hell cares, as long as it protects the touch it's all good.

gvegastiger
Oct 10, 2007, 02:39 PM
How easy is the BSE to apply? Is it as easy as the IS?

phungy
Oct 10, 2007, 02:57 PM
How easy is the BSE to apply? Is it as easy as the IS?

It's the same material. Same type of application.

HelixOmnimedia
Oct 11, 2007, 04:27 AM
My IS just arrived, but I'm having second thoughts about applying it as I've read conflicting reports about the accuracy of the multi-touch can fail. I don't know that to do.
It's the full body shield, can you just apply the back and leave the front alone?
Has anyone had side effects from using the IS?

Thanks for any information.

kevbo1983
Oct 11, 2007, 10:40 AM
My IS just arrived, but I'm having second thoughts about applying it as I've read conflicting reports about the accuracy of the multi-touch can fail. I don't know that to do.
It's the full body shield, can you just apply the back and leave the front alone?
Has anyone had side effects from using the IS?

Thanks for any information.

I put the full shield on. I haven't had any problems with the multi-touch (it just feels different than the glass...not a big deal). You can just put on the back if you want, the back is probably the most important part anyways.

jmpage2
Oct 12, 2007, 10:08 PM
posting this from my touch five hours after application of the BSE skin. I only elected to apply the back part of the skin as I feel that the front doesn't need as much protection. I am impressed as it looks to me that they have really cut this skin accurately. The key is to use enough soap and water and get the top and bottom lined up right first before worrying about the rest of the fit. I will try to get pics up after it finishes drying.

jmpage2
Oct 14, 2007, 01:02 PM
OK, here's a shot of the iPod Touch back with the BSE skin installed. You can see a few scratches under the skin that it picked up in four days of pampering before the skin arrived.

http://home.comcast.net/~audi-fan/IMG_6019.jpg

And here's one that shows how they designed the corner of the skin to fold around like a petal protecting the corner as much as possible on this skin;

http://home.comcast.net/~audi-fan/IMG_6016.jpg

Gerard.
Oct 14, 2007, 01:52 PM
Thanks guys! just ordered my BSE.. Should be here in a week, around the same time as my touch.

hidehide
Oct 21, 2007, 04:34 AM
Do they peel out after a period of using??

phungy
Oct 21, 2007, 10:04 AM
Do they peel out after a period of using??

If you follow the directions, no. I had one on my BlackBerry and digital camera for over a year, no peeling.

DavoMrMac
Oct 21, 2007, 12:15 PM
I would worry about residue or marking when you remove this. Anyone had to remove after it has been on for a while?

Cleverboy
Oct 21, 2007, 12:23 PM
Here is a highly detailed video from Podango/Apple Phone Show,
showing the process of applying the skin, and the results you get.

How to Apply an Invisible Shield
http://www.podango.com/podcast_episode/284/47134/

Honestly, this all seems like tin-foil hat type stuff to me (with the exception of applying the skin to the face of the phone). I have a rubber casing (which helps protect it against drops), so aside from the face, I don't really see myself going through all this. I just can't work it out. I have one of those grandmothers that put rubber casings all over her furniture, and we could never sit on it. The degree to which that has irked me has never quite worn off.

~ CB

phungy
Oct 21, 2007, 12:30 PM
I would worry about residue or marking when you remove this. Anyone had to remove after it has been on for a while?

I removed it off my iPod Nano before selling it. Had it on for close to 2 years, no residue :)

avaloncourt
Oct 21, 2007, 01:42 PM
I've ordered one of the InvisibleShields for my Touch to see what it actually is. I work for a company that distributes signmaking materials to sign companies. The InvisibleShield information says it is made of urethane. What I suspect is that the InvisibleShields are really just Stevens Urethane Aliphatic TPU film distributed by Avery Dennison. There are many different kinds of films out there for various purposes but they're all for surface protection.

I think what shieldzone has done is buy car surface protection urethane (the product above) as "Pro-Tect" film often used as a film-based "car bra."

http://www.pro-tectfilm.com/

We're an Avery dealer but that's an automotive product. So, I'll have to see if I can find someone in the automotive/industrial division willing to send me a sample roll.

I see there's another product out there http://www.radtech.us/Products/iphone_clearcal.aspx for use on the display surface. They're just using clear calendared mylar vinyl which I have plenty of. If I were picking something I had I'd probably go with a thin polycarbonate protection film. That urethane film is being used because it has high surface strength and is extremely thin.

I'd suspect that if the BSE is going for $8 it's just mylar and probably wouldn't hold up as well to surface impacts.

The spray bottle supplied is what we call application fluid. It floats the film into position and then evaporates clear. For those having problems with bubbles you are experiencing what every new signmaker has. Bubbles in a vinyl surface are very common unless you have the experience in application. Slow, methodical application is the key. Push as much of the application fluid out as much as possible. As someone mentioned earlier starting at the center and working outward with the squeegee is important.

dellavoce
Oct 21, 2007, 08:16 PM
I have an IS and I love it. Looks great, I actually like the feel, and once it sets, it's, well, set. Once question for others with the IS though, How is the size of the circle cut-out around the home button on yours? Mine is a little large and I'm not sure if that's because it's cut that way or if I stretched it a little during application.

sundayx
Oct 21, 2007, 08:37 PM
Does BSE come with the solution and squigee IS comes with? Any necessary tools for using the BSE?

mikesr
Oct 21, 2007, 09:03 PM
Does BSE come with the solution and squigee IS comes with? Any necessary tools for using the BSE?

Nope. The BSE get shipped to you in a white envelope so don't mistake it for junk mail. The packaging is nothing fancy but then again, that's how they keep their costs down..

They don't send a "solution" but they tell you how to mix up a batch of your own. I filled a bowl with warm water and put 2 drops of liquid detergent in it. Mixed it up and waited for the bubble solution to "settle" down a bit.

Dipped my fingers in the solution (keeps the prints off of the skin), peeled the skin off of the backing then I dipped the ENTIRE skin under the solution. Picked it up, let the drips fall off, then applied it.

It slid right on and moved around very nicely until I got it in the position I wanted. Rounded out the edges and it looks great ! I basically just used my fingers to squeeze out the liquid. After 24 hours, it looks great..

So - No solution.. No Squigee.. Just a good product that does what its supposed to .. (and for the price, you can't beat it..)

Hope this helps...

Demon
Oct 22, 2007, 07:02 AM
I have tried the IS on my friend's touch. Its all right but I hate the rubbery feel. If you want to keep the touch in good shape then perhaps its worth the inferior feel. But I don't care too much about the scratches and I really hate cases and films on my iPod especially if touch is essential. Go naked I say. So let it scratch, what good is a mint but out of date iPod? Ha ha. In fact I'm on my touch right now, writing this post.

darrengreer
Oct 22, 2007, 10:56 AM
I have tried the IS on my friend's touch. Its all right but I hate the rubbery feel. If you want to keep the touch in good shape then perhaps its worth the inferior feel. But I don't care too much about the scratches and I really hate cases and films on my iPod especially if touch is essential. Go naked I say. So let it scratch, what good is a mint but out of date iPod? Ha ha. In fact I'm on my touch right now, writing this post.

It's definitely a matter of taste, as I actually love the "rubbery" feel. I'm less likely to drop it :)

beaker26
Oct 22, 2007, 02:56 PM
How long did it take for you guys to get your IS? I ordered mine a week ago and it's still not here. I'm more worried because my order status page hasn't changed.

derryquinn
Oct 22, 2007, 03:03 PM
How about the antenna?

avaloncourt
Oct 22, 2007, 06:37 PM
How long did it take for you guys to get your IS? I ordered mine a week ago and it's still not here. I'm more worried because my order status page hasn't changed.

I also ordered mine a week ago but I know not to expect it for a long while. Apparently when you checked the status page you didn't pay attention. There's a statement right at the bottom:

Your order should arrive by November 4th, 2007. Please allow 1-3 extra days due to unexpected shipping vendor delays. Tracking information is not currently available for this order. We will email your tracking number to you as soon as we receive the information from USPS. Please note this can take 1-2 business days from when we process your order.

So, they're saying November 4th for me. I knew that right away. That's the same message that's been displaying since immediately after I ordered.

jmpage2
Oct 22, 2007, 11:48 PM
Here is a highly detailed video from Podango/Apple Phone Show,
showing the process of applying the skin, and the results you get.

How to Apply an Invisible Shield
http://www.podango.com/podcast_episode/284/47134/

Honestly, this all seems like tin-foil hat type stuff to me (with the exception of applying the skin to the face of the phone). I have a rubber casing (which helps protect it against drops), so aside from the face, I don't really see myself going through all this. I just can't work it out. I have one of those grandmothers that put rubber casings all over her furniture, and we could never sit on it. The degree to which that has irked me has never quite worn off.

~ CB

The skins protect the ipod from getting scratched up, give it better friction so it doesn't fall out of your hand, and (drum roll please) adds virtually zero bulk to the size of the unit.

There's no question that cases protect the best, although cases have been known to scratch the back of the ipod to hell, and they are bulky, and they cost more....

beaker26
Oct 23, 2007, 03:38 PM
I also ordered mine a week ago but I know not to expect it for a long while. Apparently when you checked the status page you didn't pay attention. There's a statement right at the bottom:

So, they're saying November 4th for me. I knew that right away. That's the same message that's been displaying since immediately after I ordered.

I did pay attention. That's just invisible shield covering their backs incase it takes awhile to get to you. Somewhat like when Apple said that the preorders would ship by September 28th, but they shipped much sooner than that.

codingmonkey
Oct 25, 2007, 10:19 PM
Does the BSE take forever to ship like the IS? I'm in Canada and a friend of mine ordered a IS and it's been 3 weeks and he still hasn't got it...

Btw, is the BSE or IS sold in any stores?

California King
Oct 25, 2007, 10:41 PM
Does the BSE take forever to ship like the IS? I'm in Canada and a friend of mine ordered a IS and it's been 3 weeks and he still hasn't got it...

i got mine in just a week. It definitely ships faster than IS

CD3660
Oct 26, 2007, 04:50 AM

Sounds like something's wrong.

I ordered two BSE skins for the iPhone last week and they arrived here in the U.K. just 7 days later.

phungy
Oct 26, 2007, 09:10 AM
Can't say anything for out-of-state but it takes about 2-3 days for me (located in Florida, BSE is located in Colorado).

jmpage2
Oct 26, 2007, 11:08 AM

My BSE skin showed up in 4 days. It ships in a plain white envelope and they warn you right on the website that it could easily be mistaken for junk mail or thrown away by a spouse/girlfriend who sees "bestskinsever" on the envelope.

voodoo411
Oct 27, 2007, 03:41 AM
My BSE skin showed up in 4 days. It ships in a plain white envelope and they warn you right on the website that it could easily be mistaken for junk mail or thrown away by a spouse/girlfriend who sees "bestskinsever" on the envelope.
uhoh.... i ordered BSE last week, still not here

*run to wake up girlfriend*

codingmonkey
Oct 27, 2007, 05:50 PM
Great, thanks everyone! I'll get a BSE then, 2 of them I guess....

CD3660, he ordered an IS, so I was asking if the BSE is just as slow :)

iPod oldschool
Oct 27, 2007, 09:34 PM
Does this detract from the glory of the Touch itself? Does if feel "tacked" on to say? Like, idk, does it look/feel weird having it on?

codingmonkey
Oct 29, 2007, 12:27 PM
Btw, I watched some IS promotional video and they were showing that the skin itself doesn't get scratched. Is this true? Is it also true for the BSE? Thanks.