PDA

View Full Version : Solution To Back of iPt?

Rhosfelt
Oct 8, 2007, 05:49 PM
http://www.colorwarepc.com/products/touchc.aspx

Anyone else seriously considering this? 105$ and you can get the antenna sprayed too. I am just wondering if it will help w/ the scratches or if it is just a really thin layer of paint..

If anyone else has any thing from colorware, I was thinking about getting my iMac done, but I like my white, mainly because I ended up getting a MBP, not a black macbook :P

DenniZ
Oct 8, 2007, 05:56 PM
thats not neccessarilly going to protect the ipod ... although its going to protect the back like how paint protects a cars metal body

California King
Oct 8, 2007, 05:59 PM
That's pretty cool. I'd consider it, but with a price that high, there's no way I'd do it.

Rhosfelt
Oct 8, 2007, 05:59 PM
thats not neccessarilly going to protect the ipod ... although its going to protect the back like how paint protects a cars metal body

Well it would stop the easy scratches you get from just normal ware. And, unless it is REALLY cheap paint, it might actually be worth it. I am mainly looking for someone who has had something done by this company in order to see what their paint is actually like.

The paint they have on there looks like it is thicker...

Bowlerguy10
Oct 8, 2007, 08:04 PM
Just buy a BSE skin and only use the back. You can get one here (http://www.bestskinsever.com/servlet/the-75/iPod-Touch-Skin/Detail).

DavoMrMac
Oct 9, 2007, 07:41 AM
I really like the look of the Colorware paintjobs, very tempting.

jepaz
Oct 9, 2007, 08:13 AM
Will consider that when the warranty laps.

lofight
Oct 9, 2007, 09:59 AM
looks nice, really, but it really think it's quite a high price!

jmpage2
Oct 9, 2007, 11:43 AM
Coloring the whole ipod plus earbuds and dock is $165 plus shipping. Wow. Especially considering that it's usually about 18 months to obsolesence with these devices.

uicandrew
Oct 9, 2007, 11:56 AM
someone was selling their 5G (the first video ipods) on the forums that had the blue colorware treatment.

here is a link to the thread

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=357349&highlight=colorware

and in the thread, they have a link to a .mac photo gallery.

decide for yourself if the protection is good enough for you.

it looks like only the front of the 5G ipod is colorware-d

Mystikal
Oct 9, 2007, 12:19 PM
MAYBE if I could live without my iPod and we werent so close to jailbreaking i would consider it...

uicandrew
Oct 9, 2007, 12:36 PM
MAYBE if I could live without my iPod and we werent so close to jailbreaking i would consider it...

how much do you use your ipod? i had been ipod-less for a whole month (i sold my 2G nano on ebay the day before the new ipods were announced!) and i only got my ipod touch this past friday.

try living without your ipod for a week. you'll be surprised how little you actually "need" it. besides, listening to the radio lets me hear all the new music.

the more i listen to my ipod, the less new music i discover.

Mystikal
Oct 9, 2007, 12:43 PM
how much do you use your ipod? i had been ipod-less for a whole month (i sold my 2G nano on ebay the day before the new ipods were announced!) and i only got my ipod touch this past friday.

try living without your ipod for a week. you'll be surprised how little you actually "need" it. besides, listening to the radio lets me hear all the new music.

Well so far one of my favorite things is the WiFi. All day in school yesterday i was checking these forums and hackint0sh for the release of the jailbreak.

Not to mention the money would be of my moms CC (i dont have one yet) so it would be pretty tough convincing her to let me get a paint job.

zsno
Oct 9, 2007, 12:51 PM

I disagree. The radio is garbage, and listening to it won't introduce you to any new music. I have 200GB of music, and none of it was acquired through hearing it on the radio. Nonetheless, living without my ipod while waiting for the touch was a terrible task, so bad I had to buy a shuffle...and all they had was pink:(

uicandrew
Oct 9, 2007, 01:03 PM
Well so far one of my favorite things is the WiFi. All day in school yesterday i was checking these forums and hackint0sh for the release of the jailbreak.

Not to mention the money would be of my moms CC (i dont have one yet) so it would be pretty tough convincing her to let me get a paint job.

wow. what level of school are you at? My graduate school and undergraduate school doesn't/didn't have wifi.

Mystikal
Oct 9, 2007, 01:04 PM
wow. what level of school are you at? My graduate school and undergraduate school doesn't/didn't have wifi.

IM in college (13th grade) if that makes any sense lol. Our whole school is WiFi'd. Its AWESOME!

Rhosfelt
Oct 9, 2007, 01:32 PM
My college is WiFi'd too..to bad it is VPN >: (

Also it really isn't that much $105 and you have a permeant case (no dust getting in there), and I am guessing you don't buy a new iPod every 18 months if so wow good luck keeping anything nice. I've only had 3 iPods in 7 years.. Unless they make leaps and bounds in the next year this is the iPod I have been waiting for forever.

I am really considering it, I just need some one who has used colorware before :P I am thinking about getting silver just because it would make it like the iPhone and it would match my iMac and MBP haha OCD..

uicandrew
Oct 9, 2007, 01:38 PM
IM in college (13th grade) if that makes any sense lol. Our whole school is WiFi'd. Its AWESOME!

sorry. i assumed you were in high school since roughly 60% of college students have credit cards (but you can't have credit card debt if you don't have a credit card, right?)

i would heavily advocate getting a bestskinsever instead. read my post (#6) on this page

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=4301757#post4301757

their special introductory price of $6 expires today

Rhosfelt
Oct 9, 2007, 01:43 PM
sorry. i assumed you were in high school since roughly 60% of college students have credit cards (but you can't have credit card debt if you don't have a credit card, right?)

i would heavily advocate getting a bestskinsever instead. read my post (#6) on this page

Maybe I will just take it to my uncle's shop and have him do it.. haha w/ even special rubber paint. I don't plan on sending it to colorware until at least Feb if I do end up going that way, and I am not going to get a bestskinsever due to the fact that I will ever be able to put it on right.

Mystikal
Oct 9, 2007, 01:48 PM

Yeah I would blow through all my work money SO fast if I had a credit card.

uicandrew
Oct 9, 2007, 02:16 PM
Maybe I will just take it to my uncle's shop and have him do it.. haha w/ even special rubber paint. I don't plan on sending it to colorware until at least Feb if I do end up going that way, and I am not going to get a bestskinsever due to the fact that I will ever be able to put it on right.

it is actually much easier than most people say.

the most common complaints is that "i can't get all the bubbles out"

well, all you have to do is use a credit card and use it as a squeegee (like you're washing a car windshield at a gas station) and use it to push out all the large bubbles.

what most people don't realize or they don't "post in the forums" is that the smaller bubbles will go away with time. i don't know how, but the bubbles disappear on their own. after the first 24 hours, there are fewer bubbles and even after 2 days, there are still fewer bubbles, still.

all it takes is 3 minutes to put it on the front, then let it sit for an hour, then flip it over. then 3 minutes to put it on the back and then let it sit (ideally) overnight.

besides, with the low cost of best skins ever, it is hard to pass up a chance for a ipod that will always stay in pristine condition.

Rhosfelt
Oct 9, 2007, 03:03 PM
Don't get me wrong I have tried those before (basically the same thing) and they kept falling off.

I've worked w/ stickers for a while used to race moto-x and I got yelled at by my sponsors for their stickers always falling off :P

uicandrew
Oct 9, 2007, 04:11 PM
Don't get me wrong I have tried those before (basically the same thing) and they kept falling off.

I've worked w/ stickers for a while used to race moto-x and I got yelled at by my sponsors for their stickers always falling off :P

which brand did you use EXACTLY? the bestskinsever use an "adhesive" and you need to dip it in a soapy water.

if you were using decals (using static cling) then those can fall off. With the bestskinsever, you have to put serious elbow grease to pull it off. in fact, unless you pull it off within 1 hour of installation, you can't remove it without permanently stretching it. it is, for all intents and purposes, PERMANENT, unless you make a SERIOUS effort to remove it.

jmpage2
Oct 9, 2007, 04:38 PM
which brand did you use EXACTLY? the bestskinsever use an "adhesive" and you need to dip it in a soapy water.

if you were using decals (using static cling) then those can fall off. With the bestskinsever, you have to put serious elbow grease to pull it off. in fact, unless you pull it off within 1 hour of installation, you can't remove it without permanently stretching it. it is, for all intents and purposes, PERMANENT, unless you make a SERIOUS effort to remove it.

All of the "wet" applied skins (invisible shield, bse, etc) use a very mild adhesive that still shouldn't leave any permanent residue on the player if removed at a later time.

Rhosfelt
Oct 9, 2007, 05:12 PM

These (http://ifrogz.com/categories.php?cat=332) from iFrogz on my 60gb Video..

AFKMatrix
Oct 9, 2007, 06:18 PM
Dont know if u have seen/heard about them but i have ordered a case/skin from a website called www.decalgirl.com. I have gone with the absolute power skin i will let u know how it is when i get it.

KassaNovaKaine
Oct 9, 2007, 06:35 PM
I am really considering it, I just need some one who has used colorware before :P
I've used them twice (3G and 5G iPod), and can without a doubt say they do phenomenal work on their paint jobs. It's pricey, but you get what you pay for. It looks really sleek and glossy, and they even have a special coating that makes it scratch-resistant.

Definitely recommended.

tobenning
Oct 9, 2007, 10:10 PM
I put painter's tape on mine when it came out of the box. Once I acquire a case, I'll remove the tape and have a scratchless touch to go in it. It's a lot cheaper than painting it. The tape comes off without a problem. My week 37 had tape on it until I returned it and the tape came right off.