PDA

View Full Version : 3G iPod acting funky...

hardhatmac
Oct 8, 2007, 07:46 PM
I've searched these forums all over and can't find an answer to this....

and please nobody tell me to go get a new iPod....I know mine is ghetto old.....but all I used this one for is to sit in my glove box, where is act's more or less as a hard drive for my cars head unit....I'm not going to go buy a brad new iPod that will never see the light of day...

that being said, here's the deal:

lately while playing some songs it will sound like a CD skipping.....so to fix this I've tried restoring it, but it still does it....

now while trying to load my music library onto it....it gets about half way through and stops with the warning "the ipod could not be read or written to"...

what can be done?

I'm fine if the HDD is going bad...but my other question is, if this is the case can I "partition" the good part of the drive and still use the iPod?

any recommendations??

thanks!

mad jew
Oct 9, 2007, 06:11 AM
Try using Disk Utility to check the drive, and repair it if necessary. Report back any errors it may find. :)

hardhatmac
Oct 9, 2007, 11:08 AM
Try using Disk Utility to check the drive, and repair it if necessary. Report back any errors it may find. :)

I tried that a few times and it never reported any errors...

thejadedmonkey
Oct 9, 2007, 11:20 AM
It might be the ribbon cable that connects the hard drive to the logicboard.

It's like a $10 part off of ebay, and could potentially fix the iPod, if you're OK with opening it up.

hardhatmac
Oct 9, 2007, 11:32 AM
It might be the ribbon cable that connects the hard drive to the logicboard.

It's like a $10 part off of ebay, and could potentially fix the iPod, if you're OK with opening it up.

I've opened it a few times.....it being a 3G that's been scratched to peices...I'm pretty much not scared to try anything with it :)

Last year the iPod didn't work at all, it wouldn't even turn on...after taking it apart, "fiddling" with some things, and some very vibrant shaking and banging on things...it started to work....I haven't had a problem with it since then....until now...

I should say that if I make sure not to load more then about 6 gb of songs on there...it kinda works....but it still "skips"......but at least I don't get that error message...

triobot
Oct 9, 2007, 07:33 PM
as you're gonna fill with 6gb, buy a cheap 10gb HDD for your ipod, they aren't such a bad price...