Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
At my school we have two Macs for one of our classes. since it is a small school, I know the most about them and am pretty much the tech support for them. one of them is an iBook, and my friend was using it, it kernal panicked, and when he attempted to reboot it it had the flashing folder that tells you it can not find the boot drive. he shut it back down and restarted it again. this time it got to the login screen and kernal panicked again. I'm guessing that since it could not find the boot folder the HD is almost dead. I can get more information tomorrow, but I'm posting tonight to see if anybody has any suggestions for ways to troubleshoot it, or can tell me what is wrong with it.

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Not necessarily a dead drive at this stage... If you boot from the OSX discs, can Disk Utility recognise the hard drive? :)

Unfortunatly no one knows where the origional disks are. but I may have some tiger disks. and I definitally will have retail Panther disks if the disk utility will work on those.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
You should be able to boot from any retail version of OSX newer than that which came with the machine. Alternatively, you could try using Target Disk Mode with another Mac, and then use the Disk Utility from that Mac to check the drive.

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I forgot to update the thread yesterday, but I got to work with it yesterday, and it was able to be booted into target disk mode, and all that had to be done was to repair the disk from disk utility on the other Mac. thanks for the replys.

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Today, I found out that it was just luck that I got it to boot up, now it is no longer booting again. When I try to boot it if it starts up at all it is now going to a grey screen that says at the top Illegal instruction at %SRR0: ff85e778 %SRR1: 00081000

after that it gives some information about the computer. when it tells me the time it says it is 1/1/1904. after the line with the date and current battery capacity it says "To continue booting, type "mac-boot" and press return. To shut down, type "shut-down" and press return."

If I type in mac-boot it gives me the folder with the flashing question mark.
does anyone have any ideas? everything from this computer did get backed up yesterday.

edit: I am ocasionally getting it to start the normal boot process but it kernal panics when it is at the grey screen with the apple logo.

deadpixels

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
since you managed to backup the hard drive then maybe it's not dead. maybe the ram is bad ?

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
since you managed to backup the hard drive then maybe it's not dead. maybe the ram is bad ?
Would the RAM from my 12" powerbook be the same so I could switch the RAM to test it? and if the problem was with the logic board then would my powerbook RAM possibly get fried if I put it in?

deadpixels

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
Would the RAM from my 12" powerbook be the same so I could switch the RAM to test it? and if the problem was with the logic board then would my powerbook RAM possibly get fried if I put it in?

which iBook and which Powerbook??
iBooks use either PC2100 OR PC2700 and Powerbook 12" use also both but i think they are backward compatible so it should work just fine.
about your seond question, i think it's safe, i never heard of a logic board frying ram, usually your ram gets bad and you replace it and all is fine :D

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
which iBook and which Powerbook??
iBooks use either PC2100 OR PC2700 and Powerbook 12" use also both but i think they are backward compatible so it should work just fine.
about your seond question, i think it's safe, i never heard of a logic board frying ram, usually your ram gets bad and you replace it and all is fine :D

the powerbook is a 12" G4 1.33 Ghz and the iBook is a 14" G4 1.42Ghz.

deadpixels

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
the powerbook is a 12" G4 1.33 Ghz and the iBook is a 14" G4 1.42Ghz.
then it's just fine, according to MacTracker
ibook.png

pbook.png

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Well it still kernal panicked with the RAM out. since I was able to see the HD from target disk mode, I'm wondering if it is the logic board now, or is there still something else I could try?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Okay test the RAM by swapping the chips over. After that, try running the Apple Hardware Test that came with the machine. It's not brilliant but it might point us in the right direction. :)

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Okay test the RAM by swapping the chips over. After that, try running the Apple Hardware Test that came with the machine. It's not brilliant but it might point us in the right direction. :)

I already tested the RAM and it still kernal panicked with just the 512MB of RAM built into the logic board. unfortunatly I also do not have the hardware test cds. is there somewhere that I can legally download a copy of them from, or a way to run it from a different computer?

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Does nobody else have an iBook G4 from which you could borrow the discs?

Well the first person I just called does not have the disks anymore either. I know one other person with a G4 iBook, but I will not be seeing her until Monday, so if she has then I'll borrow them and run the test.

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
If it is the logic board that is bad about how much should we be able to get for it by selling it for parts?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Really difficult to say, mate. Macs don't have the amazing (in IT terms) resale values they used to, I guess because there are so many of them nowadays. :eek:

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I'm just updating this thread to say that the computer got taken in to the apple store today and it was a bad logic board, but apparently someone had bought AppleCare for it so it is being fixed for free.

doki

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2007
Hi mrkramer,

That is a big luck.
I have the same, iBook G4 1.33Ghz, middle of 2005 edition.
The Kernel Panic started 2007 March/April.
Now I find out that the problem is the connection broke between the logic board and the Airport card. It was good to know if they set the same cards or other kind. If they put the same it will come back (Very hope not!) If they put nearly the same but a little change it is a design flow what we have.
You can send me personal message here or/and e-mail as well.
Good luck again.
doki

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.