Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sammy2066

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
Are the newer batches of the 20" Aluminum iMac shipping with 24bit screens? I ask because I was talking to Apple Support the other day, and the guy said I could return my 20" iMac and the new one which I would get would not have any issues with color banding.

Can someone confirm 24bit screens on 20" version?

Cheers,
Sam
:)

tegg

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2007
My new 20" iMac arrived last Friday (shipped Sept 26th). I can't confirm if it has a 24bit panel in it, but running LCDTest doesn't show any of the lines/bands that my MacBook shows with the same gradient tests. Maybe they have just improved the dithering algorithm, but the gradients are nice and smooth.

It's definitely still a TN panel though (there is a big variation in brightness if you change the vertical viewing angle).

Kaspers

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2007
the Netherlands
It seems there are two types of LCD displays in the current iMac line -- twisted nematic (TN) in the 20-inch models, while the 24-inch uses a Super Patterned Vertical Alignment (S-PVA). The TN panel typically displays 6-bits per pixel; the S-PVA, 8-bit. Three colors are involved in generating a point of white light, so 3 x 6 is 18-bit color, while 3 x 8 is 24-bit. However, the TN uses a technique called dithering to trick the eye into thinking it's seeing 8-bit pixels.

Hope this helps :).

DemNoir

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2007
My new 20" iMac arrived last Friday (shipped Sept 26th). I can't confirm if it has a 24bit panel in it, but running LCDTest doesn't show any of the lines/bands that my MacBook shows with the same gradient tests. Maybe they have just improved the dithering algorithm, but the gradients are nice and smooth.

It's definitely still a TN panel though (there is a big variation in brightness if you change the vertical viewing angle).

Does it still have the color shift from top to bottom? If you display a colored sticky and slide it form top to bottom does the color change?

sammy2066

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
Thanks for the replies guys! So that means it still ships with a TN panel. So there's no point in returning it. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.