Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mancho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2003
Dallas
I have finally outgrown my 667/1 Gig and am looking seriously at the 17" 1 Gig MHz.

I have seen some serious scams on Ebay...but some legit too....

Of course I'd like to pay as little as possible, but anyone selling 54 of them for $950 each is a scam...heres the big red flag: only cash, check, or other liquid easy - to - fraud trick.

I have bought full mail order retail from certain neat k-9 apple resellers, but I am looking to just spend 1599 or so....maybe 2K tops.

Any thoughts? What is the educational price on these?

Thanks,

Mancho

DreaminDirector

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2002
Ladera Ranch, CA
Well, you may be out of luck. The 17" with an educational discount only knocks off about 300 buck, which brings the total to 2999 plus tax. I don't think that you'll find a new or used 17" for under 2k. Hell, if you do, let me know and I'll buy one as well.

Good luck and any rate.

tazo

macrumors 68040
Re: Buying G4, 17" PB SOON! Where is Best Price?

Originally posted by mancho
I have finally outgrown my 667/1 Gig and am looking seriously at the 17" 1 Gig MHz.

I have seen some serious scams on Ebay...but some legit too....

Of course I'd like to pay as little as possible, but anyone selling 54 of them for $950 each is a scam...heres the big red flag: only cash, check, or other liquid easy - to - fraud trick.

I have bought full mail order retail from certain neat k-9 apple resellers, but I am looking to just spend 1599 or so....maybe 2K tops.

Any thoughts? What is the educational price on these?

Thanks,

Mancho

Apple controls the price of their products, so the varying price between resellers and apple's own prices are a few dollars ;)

And i highly doubt you can get any 17" powerbook for 1500.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
i agree with tazo. $1500 (even $2k) is too small of a budget to get a 17". you should either consider the 12/15" or increase your budget/lower expectation...

if you want to get it new (though i doubt there are that many used ones out there to begin with... and even used, 17" pb should get more than $2k.), ADC discount is probably the lowest it will get. not sure exactly what the discounted price would be, but probably around $2500. correct me if anyone else has the correct information.

you are making yourself very prone to scams at your budget.

mancho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2003
Dallas
I got my 17 on yahoo auctions for 2400

i know this is an unreal price..but the guy has sold many at 2400...

he'll do escrow too.

oddly enough, the book was shipped from amazon with a retail price invoice of 2756...but I only paid the auction guy 2400 plus shipping.

it's a brand new powerbook and i like it.

mancho

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.