Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
I've got a website that has, at any given time, a few dozen 2-3 minute video clips. I'm currently converting the files to mpg and keeping them to about 4-5MB in size. But the files are small and bad quality.

I'm looking for a better format to use that is widely compatible and a reasonably size. What has worked for other people? Any suggestions?

I see the video Apple puts on their site, and I'd love to use that (I assume it's quicktime), but I suspect the file sizes would be too large.

Anyway, thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Flash, MPEG-4, or even h.264

It be better to know what your user base is. You don't want to exclude users if you use MPEG-4/h.264.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
The userbase is varied. It's an adoption website, and we probably get more Windows users than anything. I used to use basic Quicktime, but I got some complaints from people not wanting to install QT. I figured mpg would be more universal, but I'm not at all happy with the quality. MPEG-2 is better quality and would work, but that requires a codec or something to be installed, which I'm trying to avoid.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
The userbase is varied. It's an adoption website, and we probably get more Windows users than anything. I used to use basic Quicktime, but I got some complaints from people not wanting to install QT. I figured mpg would be more universal, but I'm not at all happy with the quality. MPEG-2 is better quality and would work, but that requires a codec or something to be installed, which I'm trying to avoid.
I agree with the complaints about Quicktime installation. MPEG-2 is a tad bit old though.

I know the movie length, what about the resolution? Is there anyway you can live with a slightly larger file size? Any idea on the connection speed of your users?

Flash can be an option but I have little experience with it. I'd be more then happy to try some sample video if you're able to let me tinker with it. I understand the need to protect your media though.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
I agree with the complaints about Quicktime installation. MPEG-2 is a tad bit old though.

I know the movie length, what about the resolution? Is there anyway you can live with a slightly larger file size? Any idea on the connection speed of your users?

Flash can be an option but I have little experience with it. I'd be more then happy to try some sample video if you're able to let me tinker with it. I understand the need to protect your media though.

I could go with Flash, but I'm not a huge fan. You can see a sample here:

http://www.idahowednesdayschild.org/profile.php?id=12426

I'd also like to embed the video rather than have a link to it. I don't have a problem going a little bigger on the video file, but I don't want it to be too big. I don't know if most users have dial-up or broadband, so I want to limit the download. Maybe 8MB or so? I'm flexible on that, if the quality is good enough. The current resolution is 232x176, but I would like to get that a little bigger, too.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Ouch those are some painful artifacts.

According to OS X and Quicktime it's MPEG-1 video. I'd give Flash a try at those low resolutions for an embedded video.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
Yeah, the artifacts are nasty. Thanks for the help. I'll play around with Flash and see what I get.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Yeah, the artifacts are nasty. Thanks for the help. I'll play around with Flash and see what I get.
Good luck!

Sadly, Flash is now the lowest common denominator when it comes to internet video. Hopefully Adobe will improve its video compression abilities without compromising its backwards compatibility.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
Well, I played around with some conversion, and I can actually get a nice looking video for the size I want. Certainly worlds better than what I have.

The pain is redoing my site to accommodate flash. I've got some php files to modify...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.