PDA

View Full Version : My iPod Classic R.I.P - Sept. 17, 2007 - Oct. 6, 2007

MVallee
Oct 9, 2007, 01:52 PM
So I had a stressful weekend thanks to my new iPod classic. For the few weeks I've had the new iPod its been doing weird things, not counting playcounts and occasionally it stops working in the middle of a song and needs to be reset. I restored it and still it did the same thing. I figured it was a glitch that would soon be worked out.

This weekend it once again needed to be reset, which only happens every few days anyway. But it happened 5 times in the span of an hour and then after resetting it for the 8-9th time the screen said "Use iTunes to restore".

I brought it back to the Apple store and they gave me a new one right away, I didn't even need to talk to a genius, just went to the cash and bam, new iPod in the box and everything. I was very pleased with that.

Just a heads up to anyone else who is having similar issues, they may become more serious like in my case.

FYI, I have and 80GB iPod Classic, silver.

So far the new one is fine, knock on wood:)

jklps
Oct 9, 2007, 02:42 PM
My first one didn't last a week..but I think it was a lemon from the start as I could hear it syncing pretty easily.

Make sure you don't have TOO many smart playlists on the iPod Classic as they'll try to update....

GimmeSlack12
Oct 9, 2007, 05:54 PM
My Silver 80gig Classic is working great!

MVallee
Oct 10, 2007, 01:16 AM
What up with the smart playlists? How many is too many? I use them alot, and have a bucnh of them. It was never a problem on my 5G.

Scarpad
Oct 10, 2007, 11:13 AM
My 80gb Classic is working great as Well, but I have Apple Protection plan coming for it, I was weary of the 160gb unit since that HD being so large in a Portable device just scares me

GimmeSlack12
Oct 10, 2007, 12:11 PM
What up with the smart playlists? How many is too many? I use them alot, and have a bucnh of them. It was never a problem on my 5G.

Dude, don't worry about Smart Playlists. The whole idea that they cause problems is ludicrous.

Arisian
Oct 10, 2007, 12:24 PM
Mine actually blew up the second day I owned it... it was amazing(not really)

That sucks about your ipod classic though. I tried them in the stores and they were slow and choppy and i decided I didnt want one. I was less than impressed by them... or at least as it seems the first batch. Good luck with the new one

jklps
Oct 10, 2007, 04:32 PM
Dude, don't worry about Smart Playlists. The whole idea that they cause problems is ludicrous.

Why is the idea ludicrous?

I do know that at least in 1.0.2 that the iPod Classic tried to update smart playlists at all times(ie not connected to a computer)....I had over 50+ on my iPod and the thing reset itself every trip to work I took(about an hour). Maybe it's just the "automatically updating" smart playlists, but I have mine all set to that(it's one of the three options at the bottom of the choices).

I removed most of the smart playlists and the thing instantly worked 1000 times better. Sure this is just an anecdote, but it worked. Maybe they fixed it for 1.0.3.

Btw the 5G iPods do not update smart playlists while the iPod is running, only when you sync. I know as I have one of those also...

eric55lv
Oct 10, 2007, 11:39 PM
wow sucks to be you :p:p:p:p:p