PDA

View Full Version : iPhone To Support Nike+ Products? Radio Remote?

MacRumors
Oct 9, 2007, 02:07 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Various readers and sites have been noticing that one of the findings of the preliminary iPhone 1.1.1 Jailbreak (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/08/preliminary-iphone-1-1-1-jailbreak-ringtones-soon/) was that Apple was referencing com.apple.mobile.radio and com.apple.mobile.nike.

The most obvious implication of this is that Apple appears to be preparing for Nike+ support for the iPhone and/or iPod Touch. Apple's reference of mobile.radio may also indicate that the iPod Radio Remote accessory (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=MA070G/C) is being made compatible with iPhone/iPod Touch.

Currently, Nike+ products only work with various generations of the iPod Nano. The iPod Radio Remote works with the iPod Nano and 5G iPod and later.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/10/09/iphone-to-support-nike-products-radio-remote/)

njfuzzy
Oct 9, 2007, 02:13 PM
I suspect that this is because of the Touch. As a flash-based iPod, Nike+ makes perfect sense for the iPod Touch. The files could simply be on the iPhone because they share a software build process.

However, it's less clear whether that means it will come to the iPhone as well. On the one hand, it can be good to differentiate both ways, but on the other Apple has positions the iPhone as directly above the Touch, not a forked top-end.

Dagless
Oct 9, 2007, 02:32 PM
Excellent news. It's good to see the iPhone (and I guess iPod Touch) getting features present in older iPod models. I bought an iPod Remote Radio a few months ago and it's fantastic for both the jobs it does and I would love to use it with an iPhone.

NewSc2
Oct 9, 2007, 02:44 PM
so when these two products come out, expect jailbreak to be broken again?

njfuzzy
Oct 9, 2007, 02:51 PM
Why is a vocal minority so obsessed with jailbreak? It's just one minor issue. When you were sold the product, you weren't promised third-party applications. You don't have them. No loss, no surprise.

longofest
Oct 9, 2007, 02:54 PM
so when these two products come out, expect jailbreak to be broken again?

:eek: yeah... lessons learned from 1.1.1... don't upgrade unless you feel a reason to. :rolleyes:

Why is a vocal minority so obsessed with jailbreak? It's just one minor issue. When you were sold the product, you weren't promised third-party applications. You don't have them. No loss, no surprise.

Not so little of a minority... Our (admittedly unscientific) poll showed about 50% of iPhone users installed 3rd party Apps on their iPhone.

aross99
Oct 9, 2007, 03:05 PM
Being able to use the Nike+ products with the iPhone would be great! I haven't used mine since I got the iPhone, because I didn't want to carry both my Nano AND my phone.

I seems like all of the flash based iPods and iPhones should be able to use the Nike+...

Wild-Bill
Oct 9, 2007, 03:12 PM
I don't know, but I think for most people running with the iPhone would be a no-no. Big investment + high velocity + slippery hands = iBroke. That's just me though.

Nicky G
Oct 9, 2007, 03:21 PM
:eek: yeah... lessons learned from 1.1.1... don't upgrade unless you feel a reason to. :rolleyes:

Not so little of a minority... Our poll showed about 50% of iPhone users installed 3rd party Apps on their iPhone.

Yeah -- that sounds like a scientific study, kind of like how some folks think cavemen lived at the same time as dinosaurs. Fact is, I bet far less than 10% of all iPhone users install third party apps., probably 5% or less even. People who are attracted to websites that inherently cater to a community that is in to these things, do not represent purchasers at large.

plumbingandtech
Oct 9, 2007, 03:30 PM
Not so little of a minority... Our poll showed about 50% of iPhone users installed 3rd party Apps on their iPhone.

http://www.macpolls.com/index.php

and that 50% was equal to 4757 people. Out of a million + (iphone users.)

:p

Vocal. Minority.

swingerofbirch
Oct 9, 2007, 03:37 PM
I called the Nike+iPod support division of Apple yesterday. There isn't a direct way to reach them, you have to be transfered. I was calling for reasons unrelated to this thread, but I did ask if Nike+iPod would ever work with the iPhone. She said she doubted it because of its size and because people don't like to run with their phones. To me the iPhone is already everything but the kitchen sink anyway. I mean "people" if you asked them a few years ago if they wanted to surf the web on a phone would have said no. But iPhone makes surfing the web on a phone PLEASANT. Nike on an iPod would be even better than on a nano because of the increased control and enhanced interface.

devilot
Oct 9, 2007, 03:43 PM
I don't know, but I think for most people running with the iPhone would be a no-no. Big investment + high velocity + slippery hands = iBroke. That's just me though.That is just you. I'm not a huge fan of my Nike+ kit, but I'd love it if the iPhone could support it. I know that when (on the v rare occasion) I go running, I like having a cell on me in case anything happens. I fall and get hurt, a car hits me, I see someone else get hurt, etc.-- it's good to have a phone handy. And I don't wanna have to carry a Nano and a cell and house keys, etc.

It'd be incredibly handy to be able to just use the iPhone w/ the Nike+ kit.

LimeiBook86
Oct 9, 2007, 03:58 PM
This is great news! :)

I submitted a request about the Nike Sport kit feature on the iPhone since I thought it would be something fun to try. Let's hope they get it ready soon. :D This could be fun.

longofest
Oct 9, 2007, 04:13 PM
Yeah -- that sounds like a scientific study, kind of like how some folks think cavemen lived at the same time as dinosaurs. Fact is, I bet far less than 10% of all iPhone users install third party apps., probably 5% or less even. People who are attracted to websites that inherently cater to a community that is in to these things, do not represent purchasers at large.

Vocal. Minority.

The poll currently has 14900 respondents, of which 32% had installed 3rd party apps, 29% had not, and 39% don't own an iPhone.

No, the poll isn't scientific... It is based off our readers. I've edited my post to make that more clear. But I still don't think you can just throw away the poll like you guys are. I think the third party apps were more popular than you think.

Draythor
Oct 9, 2007, 04:33 PM
Radio Remote = Definately getting one for the touch now. (If this happens)
Nike+Kit = Got one, wish I could use it more often.

colocolo
Oct 9, 2007, 04:35 PM
I fall and get hurt, a car hits me, I see someone else get hurt, etc.-- it's good to have a phone handy. And I don't wanna have to carry a Nano and a cell and house keys, etc.

It'd be incredibly handy to be able to just use the iPhone w/ the Nike+ kit.

Your iPhone can open doors??? :eek: Amazing little piece of technology!

CBJammin103
Oct 9, 2007, 05:00 PM
Honestly, third party apps are likely far less popular than these forums make them seem.

Think about it - someone jailbreaking their iPhone is likely to visit MacRumors, the way I see it; they're also ESPECIALLY likely to say that they've installed third party apps when a poll comes up.

Now, chances are most iPhone users DON'T visit MacRumors. Furthermore, it's much more likely that they ignore a poll regarding third party apps.

Essentially, the poll is biased already towards people claiming that they use third party applications on their iPhone. Take into consideration that and also the idea that if someone DOESN'T visit MacRumors (and subsequently cannot answer the poll) the chances are that they won't jailbreak their iPhone.

So even if TEN TIMES the TOTAL number of people who voted in the poll have actually "hacked" their iPhone, you'd still be talking about a VERY small minority of the total iPhone users. And for reasons mentioned above and other more obvious ones, the number of iPhone jailbreakers is probably far less even than this.

I'm not necessarily AGAINST third party apps, but claiming that 50% of iPhones are hacked is simply ignorant or misinformed - and most definitely absurd. No offense, naturally, just trying to put the numbers in context.

So yes. Vocal minority indeed.

spydr
Oct 9, 2007, 05:36 PM
I would love to carry my iPhone to be compatible with nike+ kit.

Get a good support if your worried about 'iBroke'. :)

bdj21ya
Oct 9, 2007, 05:47 PM
Personally, I wouldn't go running with my iphone, but if they add that feature, great for those who don't care if their phone gets sweaty.

For me, the big deal here is the radio possibility. I have Apple's radio adapter, and I was really surprised they didn't have software available for it from day 1 (I plugged it in on day 2). However, I'm concerned that the radio references might be only for the cell phone radio. We'll see.

BigPrince
Oct 9, 2007, 08:07 PM

Vocal. Minority.

Just so you know, a random sample size of 30 people is sufficient enough to begin to make generlizations off of.

Another note:
I wish I could run with the iPhone and Nike+. I do it now anyway. If people are concerned about it then they can CHOOSE whether they do it or not, but just because YOU feel its a bad idea does not mean no one should be able to do it. I usually run with a cell phone incase of emergency or someone from work calls me in or has a question.

AngelJo008
Oct 9, 2007, 08:48 PM
my iPhone doesn't get sweaty because I use the griffin arm band. It is completely encased in neoprene and plastic. So no sweaty hands to drop it like someone suggested and no phone getting sweaty either.

BrianMojo
Oct 9, 2007, 08:49 PM
Just so you know, a random sample size of 30 people is sufficient enough to begin to make generlizations off of.

Not very good generalizations, but sure, ok, I'll run with it. The only problem with this is that the participants of the survey are self-selecting, not random, and so the results are therefore skewed in the direction of the predisposition of someone likely enough to be answering a survey on a Mac-related website.

BigPrince
Oct 9, 2007, 09:00 PM
Not very good generalizations, but sure, ok, I'll run with it. The only problem with this is that the participants of the survey are self-selecting, not random, and so the results are therefore skewed in the direction of the predisposition of someone likely enough to be answering a survey on a Mac-related website.

Well now the question is: What would be those predispositions?

I'd think that those that are predisposed to going to mac-related sites would also be more predisposed to attempt installing third party apps on there iPhone because they would be more likely to be aware of those opportunities.

As a result one would expect that the poll be skewed towards third party installations.

plumbingandtech
Oct 9, 2007, 09:04 PM

These are not 30 random folks coming here.

The OP correctly updated the "50%" comment as was previously commented,

4,500 ain't a 50% of 1 million + iPhone users.

Football1maniac
Oct 9, 2007, 09:05 PM
Imagine this...You are running around somewhere, and you decide to take a break for a minute or so. You're iPhone/iPod touch is right with you, you check the Internet real quick on emails and such, and most important of all weather! Yeah, you may say iPod touch doesn't work on EDGE Network, but don't some people run in the city or near their home? I think this is revolutionary personally, and I always wanted a coach or something to look forward to while running. Tried it with my old 3rd Generation iPod, and no luck (obviously):apple::D

twoodcc
Oct 9, 2007, 09:11 PM
i'm not sure if i'd go running with my iPhone, but i'd still love to see this happen

megfilmworks
Oct 9, 2007, 10:59 PM
I love running and/or walking with my iPhone. I have a secure pocket that keeps it happy. I would think Nike would want Apple to support the spec on the iPhone. Hopefully it will come.

macintel4me
Oct 9, 2007, 11:09 PM
make this work with wireless headphones and this is sweeeeet! I could keep the iPhone/iPod touch secured in a armband without any hassle.

njfuzzy
Oct 10, 2007, 08:34 AM
The poll currently has 14900 respondents, of which 32% had installed 3rd party apps, 29% had not, and 39% don't own an iPhone.

No, the poll isn't scientific... It is based off our readers. I've edited my post to make that more clear. But I still don't think you can just throw away the poll like you guys are. I think the third party apps were more popular than you think.

That's a lot of "thinking"-- or what we could more "scientifically" call "guessing". The fact of the matter is, no poll on a Mac enthusiast site is going to reveal the truth about trends in the Mac world, and even less so with Apple's consumer electronics.

In short, people here are Mac nerds. Of course they are astronomically more likely to hack their iPhones. Do you really think even 10% of the people who paid $400-$600 for an iPhone have any idea where to find the jailbreak tools?

Let's also not forget another major factor. If you don't have an iPhone, and you see a little link to a poll about them on a website, do you even bother clicking? There's no way 60% of the people here have an iPhone. Right? Well, likewise, if you really don't care about jailbreaking, how likely would you be to click on that poll link, when you came here to read rumors? So also no way that half of the iPhone owners who read this site have hacked their phones.

Again, I'll say it: "Vocal Minority". Anecdotal evidence and unscientific polls don't prove anything besides whatever you were predisposed to believe going into it.

twoodcc
Oct 10, 2007, 08:51 AM
make this work with wireless headphones and this is sweeeeet! I could keep the iPhone/iPod touch secured in a armband without any hassle.

that would be nice. come to think of it, has anyone plugged in the nike+ thing in an iPhone with 1.1.1? i need to remember to try it when i get home

mashinhead
Oct 10, 2007, 09:03 AM
god i hope this is true, i don't know why they would leave this out other than to be jerks. I go running with my iphone all the time.

QCassidy352
Oct 10, 2007, 09:05 AM

Another note:
I wish I could run with the iPhone and Nike+. I do it now anyway. If people are concerned about it then they can CHOOSE whether they do it or not, but just because YOU feel its a bad idea does not mean no one should be able to do it. I usually run with a cell phone incase of emergency or someone from work calls me in or has a question.

30 people who A) chose to come to MR, and B) chose to answer a poll about 3rd party apps on the iphone does not a "random sample" make.

As far as iphone + nike+, I myself can't see using it. My nano is so small and convenient; the iphone is massive and bulky in comparison. Frankly, even my nano is too big, but nike+ doesn't work with a shuffle. :p

iClamp
Oct 10, 2007, 08:03 PM
Sorry if someone else has posted this, but here is some interesting 'proof' that there may be Nike integration with the iPhone soon. I saw this tonight at Target. There are several other Nike brand headsets that have this decal.

Lionheart
Oct 10, 2007, 11:33 PM
Yeah -- that sounds like a scientific study, kind of like how some folks think cavemen lived at the same time as dinosaurs.

Yeah... like the existence of cavemen is such a highly documented scientific fact.

Off topic, but couldn't resist the temptation to point out the absurdity.

Maybe a small percentage of all iPhone users, but certainly the ones who see the potential and want to get the most of their iPhone.

All you iSheep hang out in the pen, but quit criticizing those who are paving the way for better products. If it weren't for pioneers, where would we be?