Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phillip

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2003
After discovering that alot of my previous mac that i liked to buy were sold after i went on school camp, i had to do most of my research agian. Its really getting to the stage where i just want to stay on my pc... j/k. but i am really tired of looking up ads and stuff... I JUST WANT SOMETHING THAT WORKS! I keep changing my mind on what to buy... i know you hate me asking too but i promise this is the last time...plz help me!

Anyway i have decided not to wait because i really can't stay ne longer on a pc and get a okay mac and then in 2 -3 years get a pro one...

Here are some of the specs of the computers i have choose. Free free to throw me u comments... even when u think i am the the worlds most idiotic idiot...

iBook 12"
500 Mhz
10 GB Hard Drive
CD-ROM
196 MB Ram
3 years Apple Care
Bag
Software: (real copy of quarkexpress 5) and Adobe Design Studio

Price: AU $1200 = USD $768

iBook 12"
700 Mhz
20 GB Hard Drive
CD-RW/ DVD
640 MB Ram
2 years Apple Care left

Price AU $1650 = USD $1,056.00

G4 PowerMac
Dual 500 MHz
512 RAM
60 GB Hard Drive
CD-RW (48x48x24)
Zip Drive
16 MB Graphics

Price: AU $1500 = USD $960

comments plz... you comments last time help me heaps...

THE BIGGEST THANK YOU EVA...

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
If you dont need a laptop get the powermac. how does the 500 ibook have 3 years of apple care? The 3 years start the day it was bought and the 500 mhz ibook was discontiuned a long time ago. But the power mac will last a long time and in a year or so you could always drop 300 bucks and upgrade the processor and get even more out of it.

Phillip

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2003
the ibook has 3 years of apple care because the person hasn't registed his apple care plan yet... the cd he says is still inside the apple care box...

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
hmm but you can only register apple care within the first year of purchase. a new iBook 500 MHz is already several years old, so if apple care wasn't already registered i think it's too late.

and i agree with the others - go for the dual PM unless you need portability. OS X is dual-savvy.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
IIRC the 500 MHz ibook has a 66MHz memory bus and really hits performance so go with the 700Mhz (100MHz bus) as it will be quite a bit faster.

If you don't need portability what about a new emac? The base model has a 800Mhz G4 processor/CDROM/40GB/128MB and is $1499AUD from Apple Oz. If you can stretch a little further the next model up (1GHz G4/DVD-CDRW/60GB/128MB is a much better deal at $1899 from Apple Australia.

Bear in mind all the machines you have mentioned will not support Quartz extreme graphics so that will slow them down. You need at least a 32MB graphics card to support it.

Whatever you do buy extra RAM. 128MB is nowhere near enough and I don't know why Apple insist on pretending it is. At least an extra 256MB will help performance no end.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
The iBook 500 would have at best 1 year of Apple Care left, but if the guy never registered it then it's got nothing.

The iBook 700 doesn't sound like much of a deal. I've got one and it's great, but you can get them new for about $800 US (Amazon.com). If you add Apple Care and memory you'll go over $1056 but not by much and you'll have a new computer.

The best computer you listed is the Power Mac. It's faster than either of the ibooks and it's expandable past what it can do now--the others aren't. The only thing that bothers me is the price. $960US seems a little high. Then again, things might just cost more in Australia.

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
Originally posted by caveman_uk
Bear in mind all the machines you have mentioned will not support Quartz extreme graphics so that will slow them down. You need at least a 32MB graphics card to support it.

Not true. Any Radeon graphics card with 16 MB VRAM (such as the one in the iBook 700) will run Quartz Extreme.

As for the computer choice, get the iBook 700 if you need the portability and the Power Mac if you don't. You haven't told us much about what you want to do, but it sounds like you're in school. I am too, and I have found my iBook 700 MUCH more useful than any desktop machine ever would have been. Desktop machines tie you to your dorm room, where you'll NEVER get any work done. You can take a laptop to the library.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe
Not true. Any Radeon graphics card with 16 MB VRAM (such as the one in the iBook 700) will run Quartz Extreme.

I have always wondered about this. I have heard that at first, Apple required 32 MB of VRAM for QE, but then lowered the requirement in order to accommodate more computers. So even though the 16 MB number is the number today, I am a bit weary of that. I believe that 32 MB is the minimum for Quartz to begin working at its absolute best.

Now, none of those computers has 32 MB of video ram. So I'd get the PowerMac, and then pop in a ATI Radeon 8500 with 64 MB of VRAM to get a very nice, cheap computer. A dualie too. :)

macrumors12345

Suspended
Mar 1, 2003
Re: Choose a Mac for me? plz

Originally posted by Phillip
[BHere are some of the specs of the computers i have choose. Free free to throw me u comments... even when u think i am the the worlds most idiotic idiot...
comments plz... you comments last time help me heaps...

THE BIGGEST THANK YOU EVA... [/B]

DO NOT buy the iBook 500. I currently own one (soon to be replaced by a Dual G5 - ordered it earlier this week!), so trust me, I would know. The problem with the iBook 500 is that the 66 Mhz memory bus totally chokes the machine, especially when you are trying to do any sort of multitasking. My friend owns an iBook 700, and it is SO MUCH faster, and it's all because of the faster memory bus (well, the higher clock speed and double the L2 cache helps too, but the memory bus is very key).

If I were you I would go for the Dual G4 unless you really need the portability. If you need the portability, then go with the iBook 700.

Phillip

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2003
Hey thanks guys... i am really thinking of a eMac right now... only $1499 AU for a new g4...

The real problem is that i need something with a lcd screen or my parents won't buy it...they think its better for my eyes and because i wear glasses and the computers my life so yeah...

another problem with the eMac is its all-in-one design... something i don't really like... its not easy to pop a new dvd-rw of a new hard drive in... but thats not really a big problem...

Neway... i found these auctions online...

G4 PowerMac ( 2 days to end of auction at time of writing)
G4 Processor
Dual 867Mhz
256Mb RAM
60Gb Hard Drive
Combo Drive

In very good condition.
Comes with 6 months warranty

PRICE AT TIME: $1650 AU = $1,056.00 USD

OR....

PowerMac G4/450Mhz Cube

- G4 450Mhz processor
- 768MB RAM
- 1MB Cache
- 20GB Hard Drive
- DVD/CD ROM Drive
- 2 x Firewire & 2 x USB Ports
- ADC & VGA Display Ports
- 10/100 Ethernet
- 56K Modem
- OSX Installed

Includes power supply and cable, apple pro speakers, apple pro keyboard and apple pro mouse (black).
No software or original packaging included.
Excellent Condition - 1 Month Warranty

PRICE AT TIME: $1125 AU = $ 720 USD

how much should i bid for them? any idea guys? thanks for you help so far...

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Originally posted by Phillip
Hey thanks guys... i am really thinking of a eMac right now... only $1499 AU for a new g4...

The real problem is that i need something with a lcd screen or my parents won't buy it...they think its better for my eyes and because i wear glasses and the computers my life so yeah...

another problem with the eMac is its all-in-one design... something i don't really like... its not easy to pop a new dvd-rw of a new hard drive in... but thats not really a big problem...

Neway... i found these auctions online...

G4 PowerMac ( 2 days to end of auction at time of writing)
G4 Processor
Dual 867Mhz
256Mb RAM
60Gb Hard Drive
Combo Drive

In very good condition.
Comes with 6 months warranty

PRICE AT TIME: $1650 AU = $1,056.00 USD

OR....

PowerMac G4/450Mhz Cube

- G4 450Mhz processor
- 768MB RAM
- 1MB Cache
- 20GB Hard Drive
- DVD/CD ROM Drive
- 2 x Firewire & 2 x USB Ports
- ADC & VGA Display Ports
- 10/100 Ethernet
- 56K Modem
- OSX Installed

Includes power supply and cable, apple pro speakers, apple pro keyboard and apple pro mouse (black).
No software or original packaging included.
Excellent Condition - 1 Month Warranty

PRICE AT TIME: $1125 AU = $ 720 USD

how much should i bid for them? any idea guys? thanks for you help so far...

Okay, you say you need an LCD - well you'd have to buy one for the PowerMac, so that IMMEDIATELY raises the price.

Go for a brand new iBook if you can.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Danger from CRTs went out a long time ago... they all have anti-radiation coating on them, and if you parents are that worried, you can get the same coating on your glasses for about $25.

The refresh rate causes eye fatigue... which you would not get with the monitor built into the eMac. I would try to get them to let you get the eMac, its the best deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.