PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to restore the titles from CD?

papabeargary
Oct 9, 2007, 05:04 PM
Hi everyone,

My father had a computer that needed to be wiped clean and restored. He saved his itunes (about 50 songs) to CD's and then found that when he goes to put them on the refurbished machine the names and info on each song is gone.

I think he's probably out of luck and should just restore what he knows manually.

Or is there a trick that would allow itunes to recognize his purchased music and replace the information?

Thanks!!

-Gary

ChrisBrightwell
Oct 9, 2007, 05:10 PM
Is the info not embedded into the files themselves?

Did you try putting them into iTunes to see what would happen?

triobot
Oct 9, 2007, 07:26 PM
Usual tracks are embedded with ID2 and/or ID3 track info

so they don't usually appear until you play them in a player then they show up.

also it depends how you've burnt the tracks on to CD..:
- audio CD ~ fits 120mins of song(s) on 700mb CD ¬ track info won't appear
- MP3 CD ~ fits potentially hundreds of tracks on 700mb CD ¬ track info will be the same as you burnt on to it as it retains the data rather then become a WAV audio as on a CD.

papabeargary
Oct 10, 2007, 04:10 PM
Usual tracks are embedded with ID2 and/or ID3 track info

so they don't usually appear until you play them in a player then they show up.

also it depends how you've burnt the tracks on to CD..:
- audio CD ~ fits 120mins of song(s) on 700mb CD track info won't appear
- MP3 CD ~ fits potentially hundreds of tracks on 700mb CD track info will be the same as you burnt on to it as it retains the data rather then become a WAV audio as on a CD.

Hmmm...I'll have him try it. I am sure he simply hit the button in itunes to burn them to the CD's, so whatever default it uses is what he used.

-Gary

gnasher729
Oct 10, 2007, 04:47 PM
Hi everyone,

My father had a computer that needed to be wiped clean and restored. He saved his itunes (about 50 songs) to CD's and then found that when he goes to put them on the refurbished machine the names and info on each song is gone.

I think he's probably out of luck and should just restore what he knows manually.

Or is there a trick that would allow itunes to recognize his purchased music and replace the information?

Thanks!!

-Gary

I think you are out of luck.

Most likely your father created Audio CDs. So the CDs contain music and nothing else. Normally when you put a purchased audio CD into your computer, the Mac or PC checks how long each song is, then it checks a database on the Internet for a commercial CD that has songs with exactly the same lengths. That's usually about 12 random numbers, and basically no chance that two different CDs contain the same songs.

Since your dad has a couple of CDs with a random collection of songs on each, there is no way to find the songs again.