Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cointreau

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2007
Hi all,

I am trying to find out why, when I put PNG files on my iPod Touch, my available storage space decreases significantly.

For example, I have about 30 MB of photos in PNG format (about 2000 photos all told) but instead of decreasing my storage by 30 MB, it decreases by 1 GB. What gives here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I don't want to waste space.

Thank you in advance.

Cointreau

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2007
Thank you for the reply. I don't think that is the issue...

I understand what you are saying however this is happening after I've already put stuff on it.
I have about 12 GB worth of music and movies on there. Off a 16 GB iTouch, which left me with 14.3 GB available for space (after accounting for operating system stuff), that should leave me with 2.3 GB available. Then, I loaded about 31 MB worth of PNG folders. That should have left me with 2.2 GB free. Instead, I have 683 MB free on the iPod. And I have a file folder with roughly 2 GB called "iPod Cache" in my photos directory.

Funny thing is, if I take off the photos that I put on it, I go back up to the amount of space I had before.

So how is 31 MB worth of photos somehow taking up 2 GB?

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Here's the likely reason IMO-

When you sync photos over to the Touch, iTunes doesn't just copy them as is- it resizes and also ends up re-compressing the photos, IIRC.

It doesn't apply a very high level of compression, so the net result is that regardless of your original file size, the file sizes on the Touch are probably larger.

How many photos have you synced over? What is their original resolution and file size? Divide the used up storage space on your Touch by the number of photos, I think the file size is in the area of 1 MB per photo IIRC.

EDIT- I re-read your post. 2000 photos times 1 MB per photo would be about 2 GB, right? So maybe it is 1 MB per synced over photo.

seebul

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2007
I used to have the EXACT same thing with my 2g nano, try a full restore through itunes, worked mine for me after that.

Cointreau

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2007
That actually sounds like a reasonable explanation.
The sad thing is that these are PNG files with 150 DPI resolution. So their original size before being placed on the iPod is (at most) 40 KB or so. As things sync up, I have seen the iTunes software saying something about "optimizing photos." Perhaps that is what you described.

That being the case, is there any way to turn off the photo optimization, so that my PNG files get synced in their native resolution, at their native file size? Why would it make the files bigger when they are so small?

Again, thank you for the help!

amcoolio

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2007
Mine won't even sync. It gives me an error and won't explain why. They are all basic JPEG files.
Any help on this issue is greatly appreciated.

isaac17

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
To my knowledge, there is no way to turn off their compression. Which pisses me off when I can't put my Penny Arcade archives on without them being reduced to thumbnails...

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
30 MB of photos in PNG format (about 2000 photos all told)

No chance, not possible. 2000 PNG files even at only 640 x 480 resolution would be way more than 30 MB. I suspect that you think you only have 30 MB worth of pictures because you're looking at the calculated size of the folder they're in in the Finder. Sometimes the Finder doesn't update the calculated size of a folder when it should and the calculated size winds up wildly different than the truth. If that's the case, just duplicate any random file that's inside that folder using the finders duplicate file command (the shortcut is apple-D ) and then it will update the calculated size of the folder.

Cointreau

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2007
motulist, you are correct, it is not 30 MB it is 90 MB. I was only looking at one folder.

Incidentally, these images are on a Windows machine, not a Mac. And I know how to check filesizes on the computers, so when I say that it is 90 MB, it definitely is 90 MB. That is still not 2 GB.

What I think is happening is that when the iPod optimizes the photos, it is actually adding information to them so they can be displayed as thumbnails. I can see the software inflating the files to a little under 1 MB a piece, for 2000 images, totaling about 2 GB. Which sucks because I really don't want the software to make a smaller image bigger...

Ahh well. Hopefully, I'll be able to have the books.app running this afternoon and this won't be an issue anymore.

Thank you all for the feedback!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.