Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hauntedcity

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2007
I'm about to pull the trigger and buy a 160GB iPod classic to replace my 4G Photo. My family has a long vacation drive coming up, and we want to be able to watch movies & TV shows from iTunes on the drive. However, we would want to watch them on a larger screen than the iPod itself.

I think we could do it with the following:
- iPod classic & car charger (I already have a charger)
- Apple Composite AV cable (I know I'd have to get the new, expensive Apple one to work with iPod classic)
- Portable DVD player with composite inputs

a) Does any one have any good portable DVD recommendations with composite video inputs? One that could hook over a front seat headrest would be great.

b) Is there a better option than hooking it up to a portable DVD player? We'll probably never use a DVD; just iPod. I know there were portable iPod docks with larger video screens, but I don't think any are available yet for the iPod Classic, just 5G.

Thanks!

Doug

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
I have this and I like it a lot. I twas made to work with the 5.5G Video iPod but since the Classic has the same dock connector and is relatively the same size as the 5.5 it may work with the Classic as well.

hauntedcity

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2007
I have this and I like it a lot. I twas made to work with the 5.5G Video iPod but since the Classic has the same dock connector and is relatively the same size as the 5.5 it may work with the Classic as well.

That looks great, although it wouldn't mount in the car. Unfortunately, I checked out the reviews, and it doesn't work for the iPod classic. I could get a 5.5G iPod, but I really want that extra storage!

mperkins37

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Just make sure the driver cannot see the TV, distractions on the road kill.
Wifes car was totaled with me in it a few months back. Woman talking on her cell put me into the truck in front of me. Lucily I just got a tweaked ankle & a whiplash.
Be safe, Have fun.

hauntedcity

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2007
Just make sure the driver cannot see the TV, distractions on the road kill.
Wifes car was totaled with me in it a few months back. Woman talking on her cell put me into the truck in front of me. Lucily I just got a tweaked ankle & a whiplash.
Be safe, Have fun.

Thanks for the warning! That's why I'd like to be able to mount the screen on a front seat headrest, viewable only by folks in the back. I'll be the poor guy driving the car while wife and child enjoy the show. :(

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Eventually they'll release new versions of those DVD Players that dock with the classic.

How about getting an LCD Screen only with inputs they make quite a few mobile screens

hauntedcity

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2007
Okay, here's an update... I'm getting frustrated! :mad:

I've come to realize that nobody has any portable players with iPod classic dock yet. I've even contacted Sonic Impact and they have no current plans to update the VIDEO-55 to handle the new iPods.

So, now I'm looking for some sort of portable LCD monitor (with or without DVD player) that has component video INPUTS. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only way to get video out of the iPod classic currently is to use Apple's component AV cable. And I'm coming up empty. Lots of players have composite input, but that won't work with Apple's component video cable.

All I want is a portable monitor that can handle output from the iPod classic. Is that too much to ask??? Anyone out there have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Doug

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.