Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lhammer610

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2003
Lexington, VA
I was going to purchase an eMac (with educational discount - if not offset by shipping and sales tax costs), but I would like to get Panther and USB 2.0.

Anyone have an idea if Apple will offer a free upgrade to Panther if I purchase an eMac now?

I have also heard a rumor that the USB chipsets in many Macs would support USB 2.0 if provided the right driver. Since Panther is made for USB 2.0, does anyone have an idea about the chipsets for USB in eMacs and if it would upgrade to USB 2.0 with Panther? Or am I out of luck until the next upgrade of eMacs.:confused:

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Definitely do not assume eMacs will suddenly get USB 2.0. If Apple creates a driver, and it is magically "turned on" think of it as a bonus. But I would not count on it. I am not even sure if USB 2.0 will be included in an updated eMac.

With that being said, may I ask what you need USB 2.0 for? I know some people just like to have as many things as possible, but do you actually have a need for it now? If you don't, almost everyone on these boards will tell you to go for FireWire peripherals, as it is much better for a variety of reasons.

If you buy the eMac now I don't think there is chance you can get Panther for free. I think the only people who would qualify for a free Panther upgrade are the people who machines between the announcment that Panther will be shipping on a certain date (which may come at Apple Expo @ Paris) and the time it actually ships. So I would hold off until Steve announces that Panther is about to ship, and then buy the eMac.

Btw, the eMac is a wonderful machine, and you will me very happy with it. Even if it doesn't have USB 2.....:)

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
you will not get panther free. you need to wait till when apple announces the actual date it comes out. and then you will still need to pay 20 dollars. emacs do not have usb 2.0 and there will be no way to get ub 2.0 on them, unless apple updates them next time around with usb 2.0, which will probably be a while.

iJon

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
No USB2 capable chips in the eMac, iBook, SDR iMac, TiBook, Rev A MDD PowerMac, XServe.

G5, and Rev B MDD PowerMac definitely have USB2 capable chips.

These are the only ones we know of for sure, everything else is unknown.

Because Apple doesn't release chip specs, and that means that Apple knows if the new Intrepid chipset is USB2 capable (used in PB12, PB17, DDR iMac), we don't -- yet.

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Re: eMac, Panther, USB 2.0

Originally posted by lhammer610
I was going to purchase an eMac (with educational discount - if not offset by shipping and sales tax costs), but I would like to get Panther and USB 2.0.

Anyone have an idea if Apple will offer a free upgrade to Panther if I purchase an eMac now?

I have also heard a rumor that the USB chipsets in many Macs would support USB 2.0 if provided the right driver. Since Panther is made for USB 2.0, does anyone have an idea about the chipsets for USB in eMacs and if it would upgrade to USB 2.0 with Panther? Or am I out of luck until the next upgrade of

It may well be G5 specific, but we're not necessarily waiting until Panther for USB2. The G5s are shipping, and are USB2 equipped, and are pre-loaded with 10.2.7 - which MUST be USB2 enabled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.