PDA

View Full Version : Free UK iPhone for Existing O2 Customers?

MacRumors
Oct 10, 2007, 03:57 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Stuff.tv reports (http://stuff.tv/News/id-7713/) that O2 has confirmed that existing contract customers who switch over to an iPhone contract will get a free iPhone upgrade, but only if you've had your current contract before the September 19th iPhone announcement. Customers who signed up after September 19th are not eligible for the upgrade.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/10/10/free-uk-iphone-for-existing-o2-customers/)

Bjerre
Oct 10, 2007, 04:00 PM
Wow, now that's a deal if confirmed! Too bad AT&T weren't like that.:mad:

emotion
Oct 10, 2007, 04:02 PM
Blimey. Shame I'm with Vodafone.

£269 penalty for me in effect.

calculus
Oct 10, 2007, 04:07 PM
I don't think this is correct. As I read it 'pre-announcement' O2 customers can move to the iPhone tariff without penalty whereas 'post announcement' customers (i.e. still within their contract period) will have to pay an additional 219. In both cases you have to buy the iPhone as well...

iVoid
Oct 10, 2007, 04:17 PM
I don't think this is correct. As I read it 'pre-announcement' O2 customers can move to the iPhone tariff without penalty whereas 'post announcement' customers (i.e. still within their contract period) will have to pay an additional 219. In both cases you have to buy the iPhone as well...

Considering Apple was pretty adamant about phone companies not subsidizing the cost of the iPhone with discounts and other gimiky because it would 'diminish the perceived value of the iPhone', I doubt this is really a free iPhone offer as well.

Of course, Apple did diminish the perceived value of the iPhone itselfe when they slashed the price $200, so who knows... :p

sanford
Oct 10, 2007, 04:20 PM

Well that makes two of us who can read. You can change your pre-existing contract tariff to an iPhone contract tariff without penalty, if you signed the contract on that tariff prior the iPhone announcment. No, Virginia, there is no Santa Claus: no free iPhones. This is an irrelevant concept for AT&T customers in the States as you can change your iPhone plan up or down any time you wish -- save dropping the data plan -- at no penalty.

ibanana
Oct 10, 2007, 04:22 PM
Read Free contract upgrade, not free iphone of course !

calculus
Oct 10, 2007, 04:22 PM
Well that makes two of us who can read.

It's a rare talent...

Dagless
Oct 10, 2007, 04:23 PM
Whoa, that's a bit awesome! Shame I didn't have an O2 contract before, shame I've had no contract phone before!

nbs2
Oct 10, 2007, 04:26 PM
Well that makes two of us who can read. You can change your pre-existing contract tariff to an iPhone contract tariff without penalty, if you signed the contract on that tariff prior the iPhone announcment. No, Virginia, there is no Santa Claus: no free iPhones. This is an irrelevant concept for AT&T customers in the States as you can change your iPhone plan up or down any time you wish -- save dropping the data plan -- at no penalty.

I still can't believe that there is a facet of the US cell industry that is superior to something overseas (I would say the rest of the world, but the Canadian data prices seem to be the worst of element of all).

CD3660
Oct 10, 2007, 04:34 PM
Definitely not a free iPhone, just an opportunity to switch to an iPhone contract without a penalty.

daneoni
Oct 10, 2007, 04:45 PM
Oh well.....at least the prospect was exciting for about 10 seconds.

CD3660
Oct 10, 2007, 04:52 PM
Yes, it's a shame.

thefunkymunky
Oct 10, 2007, 04:59 PM

Has this been confirmed? O2 are saying that there will be free iPhone upgrades for existing O2 customers before Sept 19th?

Drumjim85
Oct 10, 2007, 05:21 PM
I'll believe it when I see it....

jamjoe1
Oct 10, 2007, 05:54 PM
I hate to add to the speculation but just yesterday I was looking into reknewing my contract with o2 which falls a week after the iPhone is released. Now although I have no proof of it, I distinctly remember reading in the 'Exsisting customers' section under 'availability' on the 02.co.uk website, it read

"customers with an exsisting contract who upgraded before September 18th 2007 will be able to switch to an iPhone contract and recieve the iphone without any payment or incurring any charges for leaving your current contract" or something more or less along those lines - either way confirming the rumor. However the page has now been re-edited.

But I guess we will just have to wait to see! It would be a great deal as I'd definitely consider switching, however the current iphone and contract price is a bit to steep for a none 3G phone.

eenu
Oct 10, 2007, 06:05 PM
I hate to add to the speculation but just yesterday I was looking into reknewing my contract with o2 which falls a week after the iPhone is released. Now although I have no proof of it, I distinctly remember reading in the 'Exsisting customers' section under 'availability' on the 02.co.uk website, it read

"customers with an exsisting contract who upgraded before September 18th 2007 will be able to switch to an iPhone contract and recieve the iphone without any payment or incurring any charges for leaving your current contract" or something more or less along those lines - either way confirming the rumor. However the page has now been re-edited.

But I guess we will just have to wait to see! It would be a great deal as I'd definitely consider switching, however the current iphone and contract price is a bit to steep for a none 3G phone.

Well that page does not say it now.... and given O2 have supposedly confirmed it..... then it should say it now. I have spoken to O2 multiple times re the iPhone and have been made some amazing offers on my contract none of which got me a free iphone

BufferOverflow
Oct 10, 2007, 06:26 PM
eenu I really believe there is nothing, O2 will be able to do regarding subsidising the iPhone. They may give you some extra bolt-ons for free or some kind of tariff discount. But no matter which way you approach it you are going to have to pay £269 for the handset.

As an O2 customer who upgraded July I'm over the moon to hear that I can switch my contract to one of the iPhone contracts without penalty, seems an extremely smart move, especially for Apple who I'm sure will shift more handsets because of it.

Considering the lockdown the 1.1.1 firmware has enabled I would be a lot more hesitant to try unlocking to work with my current SIM.

Considering the facts: I'm already in contract, all providers data rates are very expensive and the unlocking complexity; an 'official' tariff seems really beneficial and the definite way to go.

eenu
Oct 10, 2007, 06:38 PM
I've been offered 600mins and 1000 texts with Unlimited data for 35 a month and then i have to pay 269 for the iPhone

yzp
Oct 10, 2007, 07:43 PM
sick!!

lets hope rogers will do the same in canada!!!

xUKHCx
Oct 10, 2007, 07:45 PM
I've been offered 600mins and 1000 texts with Unlimited data for 35 a month and then i have to pay 269 for the iPhone

working this out over the cost of nine months i will still end up positive.

thecritix
Oct 10, 2007, 08:53 PM
so the real winners here are the people who got new contract phones from o2 in early september, but now want an iphone as they essentially get a free phone...

nice, i got mine in about april, but im happy.
the iphones become alot more tempting, now if only they'd reverse that top tariff from mins to texts and drop it to 45

55 is too steeeeeeeep.

CD3660
Oct 10, 2007, 11:54 PM
....they essentially get a free phone...

This is not going to happen. There is no real incentive for o2 to give away a 269 phone to people who are already tied into a contract with them.

Come on folks: Stop dreaming and read it carefully.

BKKbill
Oct 11, 2007, 12:51 AM
sick!!

lets hope rogers will do the same in canada!!!

This is just part of the story on cbc.ca about Canadian carriers and why you pay so much. This used to go to the government now the carriers just keep it.
The increase is for the access fee - something all cell phone users pay to gain access to a network. All cell phone users used to pay a standard fee, $48 a year. But as of February 1, Rogers' fee will be $75. Telus will jump to $83 a year. Competitors Fido and MTS say there are no plans to pass on the increase - for now.

calculus
Oct 11, 2007, 12:54 AM
so the real winners here are the people who got new contract phones from o2 in early september, but now want an iphone as they essentially get a free phone...

Yes, but the free phone is not the iPhone - it's the one they got when they first took out their contract...

flamejob
Oct 11, 2007, 02:18 AM
so let me get this straight.... I go into an o2 shop, sign an upgrade contract, get a phone, sell it on ebay and put that cash toward an iPhone?

abrooks
Oct 11, 2007, 02:26 AM
so let me get this straight.... I go into an o2 shop, sign an upgrade contract, get a phone, sell it on ebay and put that cash toward an iPhone?

Yes :)

abrooks
Oct 11, 2007, 02:31 AM
After reading the original article I'm pretty sure Mac Rumors is way off the mark on its reporting.

This article implies to me that O2 will be giving existing customers (before September 19th) free upgrades to the iPhone; so in effect a free iPhone and an iPhone contract.

In fact I've phoned O2 before and they've offered me a similar deal, didn't believe it at the time but O2 would do it for any other phone so no reason why they can't with this one.

flamejob
Oct 11, 2007, 02:38 AM
.... I'm off to the O2 shop then!

emotion
Oct 11, 2007, 02:44 AM

If this is how it works, you'd have hd to sign up before 19th Sept.

Even then I doubt this is true.

Nicolasdec
Oct 11, 2007, 03:12 AM
I bout that o2 will give you a free iphone.

bartelby
Oct 11, 2007, 03:18 AM
I've just phoned O2 and they say it's not true. You have to pay the 269.

ne0star
Oct 11, 2007, 04:07 AM
People are reading this wrong, it is NOT for a free phone.

All it basically means is if you are currently in contract with O2 like myself and that contract was set up BEFORE 18th of September this year you can buy your iphone for 269 and change your contract over the new iphone one without having to pay a penalty.

This is great new for me because I still have 6 months left on my O2 contract. I have sold my N95 on ebay which I got in April for 235 so my iphone will essentially cost me 34 in november.

calculus
Oct 11, 2007, 04:10 AM

If people had read this properly, and in conjunction with the other things that O2 have said, they would have seen that there was never any prospect of a free iPhone.

tjcampbell
Oct 11, 2007, 04:20 AM

Same here and I'm on "o2 Select" which is their premium service. Normally I get either a top end new phone every ten months or a cashback on my account BUT with the iPhone contract I will be on an 18 month tarriff and will have ZERO bonuses.

Let me stress that I was not looking for a free iphone.

I asked if I could get a new alternative handset or any sort of cashback for signing a new contract as I always do and I was simply told

"No, apple set these tarriffs, not us and there's nothing we can do, not even for our select customers. I can easily give you a new phone, but you will be locked to that contract with that phone for another ten months. Sorry, but apple has us in chains. "

Apple are being greedy c***s and they have me by the balls because I really want an iphone. I've looked the other way at the iPhone tarriffs because I'm happy to have all the data, but I do feel that the fact that o2 has been handcuffed by apple to be very frustrating. I'm surprised o2 let a company interfere with their customer service. :confused:

emotion
Oct 11, 2007, 04:25 AM
Apple are being greedy c***s and they have me by the balls because I really want an iphone. I've looked the other way at the iPhone tarriffs because I'm happy to have all the data, but I do feel that the fact that o2 has been handcuffed by apple to be very frustrating. I'm surprised o2 let a company interfere with their customer service. :confused:

Apple have O2 over a barrel. You're just caught in the middle.

eenu
Oct 11, 2007, 05:00 AM
"No, apple set these tarriffs, not us and there's nothing we can do, not even for our select customers. I can easily give you a new phone, but you will be locked to that contract with that phone for another ten months. Sorry, but apple has us in chains. "

What utter crap! Apple does not set O2's tariffs. Apple may have shafted O2 so hard thats the best they can offer you at the price to still break even/make profit but apple do not tell O2 what minutes and texts they have to give you!

Not only that but O2 have already promised me (5 times by 5 different agents) an iPhone with 600 mins, 1000texts, unlimited data all at 35 a month.

sananda
Oct 11, 2007, 05:16 AM
O2 have already promised me (5 times by 5 different agents) an iPhone with 600 mins, 1000texts, unlimited data all at 35 a month.

how did you manage that?

calculus
Oct 11, 2007, 05:19 AM

Yep, as long as you can manage to do that by 19 September. Do you have the right equipment for time travel?;)

eenu
Oct 11, 2007, 05:20 AM
how did you manage that?

Errrr..... rang them up and spoke to them. Its now a label on my account and all 5 O2 representatives i have spoken to have said i can definately have it.

sananda
Oct 11, 2007, 05:27 AM
Errrr..... rang them up and spoke to them. Its now a label on my account and all 5 O2 representatives i have spoken to have said i can definately have it.

excellent! that's a decent amount of minutes.

eenu
Oct 11, 2007, 05:42 AM
yeah they better follow through with their promises too otherwise there will be hell to pay!

ne0star
Oct 11, 2007, 06:39 AM

I don't see how they can. The phone and contract is setup online through itunes so the only tarrifs you will have access too are the predefined ones.

eenu
Oct 11, 2007, 06:52 AM
I don't see how they can. The phone and contract is setup online through itunes so the only tarrifs you will have access too are the predefined ones.

I was told that there would be either a special code or a special page for existing users to get the special tariffs

mkjj
Oct 11, 2007, 07:02 AM

That's what I was thinking, how can you get alter the tarriff when activating through iTunes?

Good luck though, they have made you a promise, let's see if they stick to it!

If it goes smooth let us know how and I will be straight to the Apple Store to buy one as I have 800 mins at the moment which i don't really want to give up.

Could give that phone to the wife if all fails!:)

eenu
Oct 11, 2007, 07:11 AM
hahahaha just spoken to O2 again and this woman says she can't understand how i can have been offered anything as none of them know about the iPhone. But she did say that i have been promised now so its their issue.

Nicolasdec
Oct 11, 2007, 11:43 AM
it would be so good if o2 did give the existing coustomers free iPhones, then I would be happy to switch my plan. I'm using my friends iphone now and its the best mobile phone I have ever used. The UI is just incredible, and the keyboard isn't that bad.

OS X Dude
Oct 11, 2007, 12:29 PM
I submitted that info last night to go onto the main bit of the site!!

SilvorX
Oct 11, 2007, 02:14 PM
This is just part of the story on cbc.ca about Canadian carriers and why you pay so much. This used to go to the government now the carriers just keep it.
The increase is for the access fee - something all cell phone users pay to gain access to a network. All cell phone users used to pay a standard fee, $48 a year. But as of February 1, Rogers' fee will be $75. Telus will jump to $83 a year. Competitors Fido and MTS say there are no plans to pass on the increase - for now.

Wait a minute... that math doesn't sound right, if the fee will be $75/year with Rogers, that will only be $6.25/month, I'm paying $6.95/month for the fee, which equals $83/year, so that makes it sound like the SAF will be going down in price. Bell/MTS users are paying nearly $8/month (forget the exact price) for the System Access fee since earlier this year, up from 6.95

koobcamuk
Oct 12, 2007, 01:41 PM
Apple have O2 over a barrel. You're just caught in the middle.

That's an interesting mental image. Scary. :eek:

BKKbill
Oct 13, 2007, 09:45 PM
Wait a minute... that math doesn't sound right, if the fee will be $75/year with Rogers, that will only be $6.25/month, I'm paying $6.95/month for the fee, which equals $83/year, so that makes it sound like the SAF will be going down in price. Bell/MTS users are paying nearly $8/month (forget the exact price) for the System Access fee since earlier this year, up from 6.95

I don't know about the math just took figures from the article. I think the premise was the company just pocketed the SAF money and didn't credit it back to the customer.

Philgr
Oct 14, 2007, 06:37 AM
I phoned O2 this week as my contract expired in Aug (i was waiting for Iphone Deal)

This is my current Deal 500mins, 500txt, 100kb Data. Before Discount is 30
I get 1/2 price discount of 15 and a 5 loyalty Discount, and i get the unused mins roll over to the following month.

So total monthly bill is 10 per month.

I discussed the iphone and told them it was too expensive. not interested, unless my current deal could be applied to the iphone tarrif. he said he didn't think it could. but did say he could give me my current deal on a 12month contract. i said ok but i wanted a new phone, he offered me a N95 for 30.

So i have taken the N95 and added the Data Bolt-on for 5

I'm going to sell the N95 on Ebay (current going rate of 200-250), buy an iphone, get it unlocked. and use my current deal, 500 mins, 500 txt, unlimited data, 15 per month :D

Phil G

shrewsburywolf
Oct 14, 2007, 07:14 AM
You have guts, I can't take the chance of getting a bricked phone at some point.

smythey
Oct 14, 2007, 07:38 AM
I phoned O2 this week as my contract expired in Aug (i was waiting for Iphone Deal)

This is my current Deal 500mins, 500txt, 100kb Data. Before Discount is £30
I get 1/2 price discount of £15 and a £5 loyalty Discount, and i get the unused mins roll over to the following month.

So total monthly bill is £10 per month.

I discussed the iphone and told them it was too expensive. not interested, unless my current deal could be applied to the iphone tarrif. he said he didn't think it could. but did say he could give me my current deal on a 12month contract. i said ok but i wanted a new phone, he offered me a N95 for £30.

So i have taken the N95 and added the Data Bolt-on for £5

I'm going to sell the N95 on Ebay (current going rate of £200-£250), buy an iphone, get it unlocked. and use my current deal, 500 mins, 500 txt, unlimited data, £15 per month :D

Phil G

There have been scattered reports of AT&T users who have done this and subsequently been denied service by AT&T. The cell provider know through your IMEI which handset you are using a soon as you switch it on, and 02 may well clamp down on those using an iPhone whilst not on an iPhone tariff.

Whether they are allowed to do this from a contractual/legal point of view I dont know; maybe legislation will ensure they cant do this in the EU/UK.

I was considering trying to get an unlocked phone and doing a similair thing, but the hassle/worry factor is hurting my poor brain. Plus, if other folks here have been promised better min/texts on an iPhone plan than those publisised, I'll give that a go and try and get a better deal for being a long standing 02 customer!!

simongittus
Oct 14, 2007, 09:11 AM
Well i'm currently with O2 through the Carphone Warehouse and they originally told me a completely different story at first.

Obviously I wanted as much info as possible when Steve launched it in the UK, so I contacted them and they said I couldn't swap contracts until March 2008 - now I've read this on here, I contacted them again and now they don't really know what to say - hum...

So they've basically fobbed me off at the mo and said call back closer to the time!

Anyone else with CPW??

CD3660
Oct 14, 2007, 12:06 PM
....if other folks here have been promised better min/texts on an iPhone plan than those publicised, I'll give that a go and try and get a better deal for being a long standing 02 customer!!

I know of only one person (eenu) who has been promised a better rate, but I think that was an accident.

Nevertheless, good luck with your quest.

Somehow though, I doubt that it will happen especially as the signing up process is automated and done online with a strict choice of just three tariffs.

smythey
Oct 14, 2007, 04:03 PM
I know of only one person (eenu) who has been promised a better rate, but I think that was an accident.

Nevertheless, good luck with your quest.

Somehow though, I doubt that it will happen especially as the signing up process is automated and done online with a strict choice of just three tariffs.

Me too to be quite honest - but hell yeah I'll try anyway!

roblawton
Oct 16, 2007, 03:54 AM
Well i'm currently with O2 through the Carphone Warehouse and they originally told me a completely different story at first.

Obviously I wanted as much info as possible when Steve launched it in the UK, so I contacted them and they said I couldn't swap contracts until March 2008 - now I've read this on here, I contacted them again and now they don't really know what to say - hum...

So they've basically fobbed me off at the mo and said call back closer to the time!

Anyone else with CPW??

Simon,

Call O2 Customer Services with CPW - and ask to speak with Rob Lawton. (ME!)

I'll go through your options with you. :D

JonasLondon
Oct 26, 2007, 07:08 AM
Simon,

Can I call you too? I'm an existing O2 customer (for more than a year on monthly, hence I can get the 'free tariff transfer'). :-) Na, I won't bother you, I think I can live OK with the 35 GBP for 200 min and 200 text. The whole concept and the ease of use plus reliability over the crappy crappy Nokia E61 that I had and died on me is worth the switch (did I say crappy E61 already?).

ONE QUESTION THOUGH: Can anyone confirm that I can buy an iPhone through Apple Store / Apple Online Shop in the UK and activate it in iTunes to work with my existing O2 number/renew my O2 contract in iTunes? Th O2 people are not being fully trained until next week on the iPhone, and arestill quite clueless and recommend standing in line on Nov 9. at an O2 shop...:-/

aylwardreed
Oct 29, 2007, 05:19 PM
Simon,

Rob, would I be able to ring you? I'm currently on O2 with CPW and when I ring to get answers to questions on getting an iPhone no-one seems to be properly informed...
If I could speak to you about my options that would be a massive help!
If you let me know when you would be working and what number to reach you on I could give you a call...?
email me: futurama@mac.com

Many Thanks

ojwk
Oct 31, 2007, 06:48 PM
At the risk of you lot laughing at me..

I phoned O2 about a month ago when the iPhone UK announcement was made with regard to me upgrading to it and if any discounts could be made. I am overdue for an upgrade and have been for the last 6 months.

I get through to a customer service adviser who informs me that the O2 system is down. Fair enough I think to myself, the O2 system is always down, whenever I call. Unfortunately this means Barbara (customer rep.) cannot access my account which is a BIG problem and will be revealed why later.

I ask about upgrading to the iPhone in November and Barbara informs me that "If I get the 35 a month tariff I won't have to pay for the handset." Possibly the best news I could have got at the moment I was completely ecstatic!

Two weeks later I being to get paranoid about the whole thing. What if something goes wrong and I can't get my free iPhone and I'm forced to pay 269 despite being a loyal customer for the past 5 years? I phone up O2 again to reassure myself that everything will go according to plan.

CSR: Welcome to O2 customer service! Can I take some account details please?
Me: Yeah sure.
CSR: Phone number
Me: <phone number>
CSR: Account number
Me: <account number>
CSR: Secret question and answer
Me: OK what's the question?
CSR: I'm not allowed to tell you the question, that is a required piece of information
Me: How am I supposed to know the answer to a question that I don't know?
CSR: I'm sorry but you have to both ask and answer the question.
Me: I set the question 5 years ago, how am I supposed to remember the answer to a question that I don't know!?
CSR: I cannot ask you the question.
Me: ..
Me: Can you put me through to your complaints department please?

Complaint dept.: Hello! Can I take down some account information please?
Me: .. *hangs up*

After spending a few days trying to remember the question and answer I try and fail, then try again and succeed! I tell the CSR that I called a few weeks ago and someone told me that I could have the iPhone for free if I switched to the 35 a month plan.

CSR: I'm sorry the last recorded conversation you had was back in February. I'm afraid that you will have to pay 269 if you want to get the iPhone.
Me: But.. but... but... NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Needless to say I was really angry, O2 has given me a lot of grief in the past like overcharging me 180 and failing to give back the money. O2 really has had me over a barrel for the past 5 years and I want something back! I've been really stupid to stick with them but the iPhone means I'm stuck with them for a further 18 months at least.

So it turns out I have to have 'notes' added to my account. Something that other MacRumor users seem to have done. Should I keep on phoning them and ask them to add the notes to my account until somebody falters and actually does so?

I noticed that roblawton is a O2 customer adviser, any advise you would give to me in terms of securing a free iPhone with the 35 contract?

DavoMrMac
Nov 11, 2007, 11:42 AM

This is my current Deal 500mins, 500txt, 100kb Data. Before Discount is 30
I get 1/2 price discount of 15 and a 5 loyalty Discount, and i get the unused mins roll over to the following month.

So total monthly bill is 10 per month.

I discussed the iphone and told them it was too expensive. not interested, unless my current deal could be applied to the iphone tarrif. he said he didn't think it could. but did say he could give me my current deal on a 12month contract. i said ok but i wanted a new phone, he offered me a N95 for 30.

So i have taken the N95 and added the Data Bolt-on for 5

I'm going to sell the N95 on Ebay (current going rate of 200-250), buy an iphone, get it unlocked. and use my current deal, 500 mins, 500 txt, unlimited data, 15 per month :D

Phil G

If you are already with O2 you don't need to unlock. Sell the N95, buy an iPhone, hack to activate it, put your existing sim in.