Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emikshe

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2007
Austin, TX
Hey, I'm a new macrumors forum member but like many other new members a long time reader/searcher of the site.
My question to you is - do you think a nearly-perfect condition iPod 15GB (3rd gen) is a collector's item? I am debating keeping it to see if it ever gains value, or just selling it (I think I can probably get almost $100) to help finance my recent iPhone purchase.
It is fully working of course, and cosmetically nearly perfect (including the mirrored back). Thanks for your opinions!

EDIT: I would make a poll if I knew how!

Attachments

• DSCF0817.JPG
    DSCF0817.JPG
    601.6 KB · Views: 182
  • DSCF0815.JPG
    DSCF0815.JPG
    603.7 KB · Views: 202

Eric Lewis

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2007
CANADA? eh?
Hey, I'm a new macrumors forum member but like many other new members a long time reader/searcher of the site.
My question to you is - do you think a nearly-perfect condition iPod 15GB (3rd gen) is a collector's item? I am debating keeping it to see if it ever gains value, or just selling it (I think I can probably get almost $100) to help finance my recent iPhone purchase.
It is fully working of course, and cosmetically nearly perfect (including the mirrored back). Thanks for your opinions!

no it wont ever bee

emikshe

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2007
Austin, TX
Nope, sorry. Maybe if it was a sealed in-box 5GB 1G...

Yeah, that's sorta what I was thinking. Besides, to really have any shot at being valuable I'd have to keep it for a long, long, long time (any guesses as to how long?? I think 10+ years). And even then, it's not sealed or anything.

Hoopdy

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
You dreaming if you think that you'll get $100 for a 15gb. I have a battered up 20gb Photo, do you think I could get $150 since yours doesn't even have color?

taficke

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2007

Who would really want one tho?

emikshe

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2007
Austin, TX
Who would really want one tho?

Want what? the 15gb iPod or the iPhone? If you meant iPod, you have a good point, no I wouldn't want one, so why would anyone else in 10 years??

If you mean the iPhone, then yes I do want it, and as I said in the post ("recent") have already bought it - I just am keeping it 1.0.2 :D

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
Wow - my 3G's case has gotten so beat up I'd just about forgotten how pretty the iPod itself was (despite the monochrome screen). I've never been reconciled to the cheaper-looking casing on the video 5G's.

But time to move on, so roll on the 3G nano and ipod touch. :D

mogema

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2004
Firewire booting ability?

Indeed, with the introduction of the 4G iPods, they moved to a USB interface. The 3G has always been the prettiest design in my opinion - I loved the combination of the bluish-white backlight and the red-backlit buttons.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Indeed, with the introduction of the 4G iPods, they moved to a USB interface. The 3G has always been the prettiest design in my opinion - I loved the combination of the bluish-white backlight and the red-backlit buttons.

The 4G iPods were still Firewire.

emikshe

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2007
Austin, TX

I agree! That's why I bought it in the first place! I've always preferred the look of the 3g over almost any other "classic" design iPod. Now that the iPhone/iTouch have come along though, I have a new favorite design :)

themanfromvlad

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2006
Montreal
I bought a Pioneer AVIC-D3 last month (GPS Navigation LCD with complete iPod integration) and I'm using my old 3G 15 GB with it. It stays put in the glove box and does a wonderful job.

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
I think it's definitely worth at least $100. I'd buy it for that price. People sell those for £100 here.

emikshe

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2007
Austin, TX
Okay, well for any future readers searching and wondering what their 3g 15gb iPod is worth, mine (see photos in first post) sold for $100 on Craigslist as of 10.14.07 which included the ipod, a case, firewire/ac adapter, and a usb cable. Hope this helps someone out!

This topic can pretty much be done now, I don't need any more advice, thanks to those that commented!!

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

With anything modern (less than forty years old), "nearly perfect" doesn't cut it. If you have an unopened box, kept in the dark forever to avoid any yellowing of the paper, then it _might_ become a collector's item, but it's unlikely, because there are so many of them.

shrewsburywolf

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2007

I have to agree with this, I had a 20GB 3G, and upgraded it to 80GB 5.5G and the only gripe that I have with it is the buttons do not light up.

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
You dreaming if you think that you'll get $100 for a 15gb. I have a battered up 20gb Photo, do you think I could get $150 since yours doesn't even have color?

No, you're wrong. They can get $100 for that easily.

EDIT: Which I see he has.

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
Like the others who have said, you'll definitely get more than $100 for it - I bought a 20GB 3G which needed a bit of TLC on the back to get it up to mirrored quality, and bought it for £90 plus p&p. Good examples are getting hard to find, and there will always be people who want to get one either as a collectors item, or the fact that the 3G iPod will always hold a special place in their heart for its pure white front, touch sensitive controls and a button configuration different to any other iPod made.
I use either my 80GB classic or shuffle for everyday use (soon to be augmented with the iPhone) but the 3G sits in a dock connected to my stereo system for use. I <3 my 3G-er.
But I say keep it - it looks mint and should only increase in value.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.