Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtbarr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2007
Hey everyone
I just got a new MB, loaded Bootcamp, burned the drivers disk, put the XP disk in, then at the first windows system prompt (on the blue screen) where I'm supposed to hit either Enter, R, or F3, nothing is working--completely frozen, have to shut the machine down. Took it to the Bar and they said it's obviously not their fault/problem--have a nice day and get the hell out. OK they were nice, I'm just a bit frustrated. :mad:
I came back home and downloaded the latest firmware upgrade relating to bootcamp, but still nothing.
Any ideas? Should this work? Or do I need to get parallels and forget about BootCamp until it's out of bugs?
Last bit of pertinent info: The Windows XP is OEM/DSP software, would that make a difference?

Thanks so much for any help.

VideoFreek

Contributor
May 12, 2007
Philly
Hey everyone
The Windows XP is OEM/DSP software, would that make a difference?
I'm not sure what you mean by "DSP." OEM should work fine as long as you're talking about a "system builder" version (i.e. the one intended for small independent PC shops and DIY'ers). If your "OEM" disk is actually a recovery disk shipped with a particular brand of PC (e.g., Dell does this), you're in for trouble--it won't work.

Some other thoughts:

kingjr3 is absolutely right, you must use a SP2 install disk; you can't install a lower version and then upgrade later. If you have a lower version, you can "slipstream" the SP2 changes and burn a new install disk. Google "slipstream SP2" for instructions on how to do this.

Have you tried booting from the XP install CD, and then running the setup?

Good luck?

jtbarr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2007
I'm not sure what you mean by "DSP." OEM should work fine as long as you're talking about a "system builder" version (i.e. the one intended for small independent PC shops and DIY'ers). If your "OEM" disk is actually a recovery disk shipped with a particular brand of PC (e.g., Dell does this), you're in for trouble--it won't work.

Some other thoughts:

kingjr3 is absolutely right, you must use a SP2 install disk; you can't install a lower version and then upgrade later. If you have a lower version, you can "slipstream" the SP2 changes and burn a new install disk. Google "slipstream SP2" for instructions on how to do this.

Have you tried booting from the XP install CD, and then running the setup?

Good luck?

THANKS KINGJR & VFREAK, in response to your questions:
1 -I ordered the software from wholesalepcstuff.com. They sell deep discounted SW with the caveat that it's all either OEM or DSP. DSP being the same as OEM except it comes without a box or manual. In the package I received only disks with product key codes electronically printed on the disks so I assume I got DSP--it's not a Recovery disk.
2- I received two disks: (1) Windows XP Pro, (2) Service Pack 2 Install CD
**after I installed boot camp, then burned the drivers disk, I put in the Windows XP Pro disk. It started up with all the messages on the bottom of the blue screen involving BIOS and other, then it came to the first prompt screen... and froze. Time and time again.

So... when you fellas say that I must use a SP2 install disk, do you mean I should start with the SP2 disk and not the WXP Pro disk? Is the WXP Pro disk the "lower version" you mentioned? If so, do I need to "slipstream" the SP2 changes and burn a new install disk?

Excuse my ignorance, but hey, I'm a fairly ignorant guy!:D

VideoFreek

Contributor
May 12, 2007
Philly
THANKS KINGJR & VFREAK, in response to your questions:
1 -I ordered the software from wholesalepcstuff.com. They sell deep discounted SW with the caveat that it's all either OEM or DSP. DSP being the same as OEM except it comes without a box or manual. In the package I received only disks with product key codes electronically printed on the disks so I assume I got DSP--it's not a Recovery disk.
2- I received two disks: (1) Windows XP Pro, (2) Service Pack 2 Install CD
Aw geez. :( I think you got pirated software from these jokers. What I surmise from reading their FAQ is that they are selling bootlegged corporate editions burned on CD-R media that don't require activation, or that they've hacked the activation somehow. They warn that the product won't receive automatic updates, which means it won't pass Windows Genuine Advantage validation (i.e., it's not legally licensed). They also warn that "if you activate the software, you may be blocked." Yikes!

Windows is to my knowledge never distributed with the product key printed on the disk. See http://www.microsoft.com/howtotell for examples of legitimate OEM packaging. Most important is that any legitimate OEM version should come with a COA--see the site referenced above for examples.

My advice would be to get a legitimate retail or OEM version from a reputable dealer (Newegg or similar). Don't mess with this crap, for all you know they've included some viruses or trojans on the disk. At the very least, you won't be able to apply updates, and you won't be very happy. Sorry to deliver the bad news.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
It does sound incredibly dodgy. Post a photo of your CDs if you want us to take a closer look: I work with volume licences etc. so I know what a lot of the "rare" CDs look like and can assist with determining their authenticity.

Regardless, even if they are legitimate, you can't install from your CDs. There is a single CD that contains XP with SP2 already installed. It's possible to create one from an older CD plus a separate copy of SP2, but it's not terribly easy and it should be a non-issue with a licensed copy.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
For it to be a legitimate OEM or retail CD it needs to have a complex hologram design on it. Except for ones from HP, Dell etc... they can make their own disks even with the "XP only" clean installers since they modify/replace Microsoft's Help and Support with links to their own support centers, Microsoft is slightly lenient with companies that produce Millions of computers running Windows. Any of the OEM discs from a computer manufacturer or small system builders, like the OEM from newegg, are licensed for one computer only they can not be transferred.

If you payed by credit card, I would open a dispute and send the discs to Microsoft's piracy program, any legitimate copy of Windows can be activated and updated, though sometimes Windows Genuine Advantage screws up and you have to call support. You can get a legitimate OEM copy of XP Home SP2 through newegg.com for $90 and Pro for $140. By the way Vista is about the same prices; Home Basic $95, Home Premium $112, Business $140 and Ultimate $170. Oh, on the SP2 discs when you see SP2A, SP2B etc... the higher the letter just means it has more recent security patches and other updates installed, that were made between the release of SP2 and that revision letter.

As far as slipstreaming goes I think you need a PC running windows to do this. Unless there is a third party app for Mac OS X to do this with. Because slipstreaming in Windows requires running the Service Pack 2 .exe file.

jtbarr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2007
For it to be a legitimate OEM or retail CD it needs to have a complex hologram design on it. Except for ones from HP, Dell etc... they can make their own disks even with the "XP only" clean installers since they modify/replace Microsoft's Help and Support with links to their own support centers, Microsoft is slightly lenient with companies that produce Millions of computers running Windows. Any of the OEM discs from a computer manufacturer or small system builders, like the OEM from newegg, are licensed for one computer only they can not be transferred.

If you payed by credit card, I would open a dispute and send the discs to Microsoft's piracy program, any legitimate copy of Windows can be activated and updated, though sometimes Windows Genuine Advantage screws up and you have to call support. You can get a legitimate OEM copy of XP Home SP2 through newegg.com for $90 and Pro for $140. By the way Vista is about the same prices; Home Basic $95, Home Premium $112, Business $140 and Ultimate $170. Oh, on the SP2 discs when you see SP2A, SP2B etc... the higher the letter just means it has more recent security patches and other updates installed, that were made between the release of SP2 and that revision letter.

As far as slipstreaming goes I think you need a PC running windows to do this. Unless there is a third party app for Mac OS X to do this with. Because slipstreaming in Windows requires running the Service Pack 2 .exe file.

WOW.... thanx so much 4 all your wisdom, guys, and if I understand you correctly--reading between the lines, you're all basically suggesting I firebomb the offices of the company who sold the software?! NO?

But seriously, thanks... I have already filed a claim with the credit card company. I'm not saavy in the area of web site creation but if anyone wants to do a good deed maybe a page could be created devoted to alerting the public that the above-mentioned company is a scam.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice. I'm off to purchase a legit copy of Windows.

John

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Even OEM software will have a certificate of authenticity attached to the package, and that's where the key is printed. If you didn't get that certificate, you got pirated software, hence the "deep discount".

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Hey, I had the same problem with no keyboard response at the blue screen when in bootcamp. It took me 3 tries and it finally recognised my keyboard. So make sure you have SP2 first for sure, before returning it. Then keep on trying until it recognises your keyboard. I had to try it 3 times with my MBP C2D 2.33.

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.