PDA

View Full Version : Cracked TiBook case - what glue to repair?

tpth
Oct 10, 2007, 09:55 PM
In a perfect illustration of why the MagSafe adapter is a Very Good Idea, I tripped over the power cord of my TiBook last night and sent it crashing to the floor. Thankfully, I didn't break a hinge, and everything *seems* to be working OK, but there's a big old crack in the top casing - not the titanium sheet that contains the trackpad etc, but the painted strip that goes around the outside.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice as to how to go about fixing this, and specifically, what type of glue to use. Will plain old two-part epoxy do the trick? Advice much appreciated - don't want to end up causing more damage...

gr8tfly
Oct 10, 2007, 10:09 PM
Zap Poly is a special CA glue made for composites. If you have a hobby store around, they might carry it. http://zap.supergluecorp.com/pt22.html Tower Hobbies (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCX65&P=7) also carries it.

edit: Zap-a-dap-a-Goo might be easier to find at a brick & mortar store and would work well. It's just a bit harder to work with, but sticks to anything.

Previously, I've used 5-min epoxy and a strip of fiberglass (from some pre-cured sheet - like poster-board thickness). I think it's still holding (it was a friends machine). But, to do this required some major disassembly to get to the inside edges.

You could carefully work some epoxy into the crack and hold it while it cures (clean off the excess with alcohol before it cures on the outside).

edit: I still recommend disassembly, but it depends on your skill level. Getting to the top case is not easy on that one. If you go with just applying the glue from the outside, use a pin or paperclip to apply the glue. Don't try and apply it from the tube (epoxy would need to be applied that way anyhow, as you have to pre-mix it).

tpth
Oct 10, 2007, 10:33 PM
Hey, many thanks for the detailed advice. I should have mentioned that I'm living in India at the moment, so hobby stores are kinda thin on the ground :)

Hmmm yeah I don't really fancy disassembling everything - I was looking at the disassembly manual on powerbookmedic.com last night and you're right, it looks awfully complicated. I think I'll do what you suggest - work some glue into the crack and hold it together. Fingers crossed...

gr8tfly
Oct 10, 2007, 10:57 PM
Just a thought: If necessary, you can thin the epoxy with rubbing alcohol (use 90%). If the crack is difficult to spread enough to work the epoxy in at its normal consistency, thinning might help (not enough to be runny, though - you don't want it going into places it shouldn't be).

Good luck with the repair.

Reminds me - one of these days I have to fix my wife's TiBook. I bought a new top case, so it'll need major surgery. I've done it a few times in the past though, repairing hinges, swapping displays, and fixing cracks (on different machines, fortunately). Still, it's pretty tedious.

tpth
Oct 11, 2007, 02:15 AM
Cheers. Must say I admire your confidence - I used to happily pull apart PCs when I was younger, but dismantling my precious Powerbook is kinda different :)