PDA

View Full Version : iMAC as replacement for G5 Quad

jlanuez
Oct 11, 2007, 11:07 AM
We just sold our G5 Quad and 20" ACD for $2300 and are considering the iMac as a replacement.

Here were the specs on the G5:
PowerMac G5 Quad, 2.5 GHz
-4GB RAM
-500GB 7200 RPM HD
-16x SuperDrive
-NVIDIA 6600 256 sdram
-Built-in Airport Extreme & Bluetooth
-Apple Pro Keyboard
-Apple USB Mighty Mouse
-AppleCare through: January 24th 2009

What we did not like about the G5 Quad was:
1) Slower than expected, especially the graphics card.
2) Noise of fans
3) Heat

My questions are:
-Do we need the 2.8GHz "Extreme" version?
-Do we need 4GB RAM?

We use Aperture, and Photoshop.
Thank you.

davC2D20
Oct 11, 2007, 12:53 PM
At work we have 3 macs, one is just like the one you have, and i bought an used imac c2d 2.16 1gb ram and did some test with after effects cs3 and FCS2, guess what? the imac is a litle bit faster!!

David Campos

GraphicOutput
Oct 11, 2007, 01:00 PM
First, in regards to your comparison of the G5 vs the iMac:
- I really can't say much about the Quad, but the new iMacs, in my experiences at least, outdoes my friend's Dual 2.0GHz G5.

- I have the 20" model, so I suppose it could differ from the 24", but this thing is dead silent. Only time you hear anything (and it is a very slight "whir") is when you load a CD or DVD into it.

- I had been running 3D accelerated games on my iMac for a couple of hours last night, and it got noticeably warm on the upper left side, but it wasn't anything to worry about, really.

And now to answer your questions:
Barefeats ran some benchmarks and compared the 2.8GHz iMac to the 2.4GHz model, and while there is a difference between the two, I'm not entirely sure it's worth the $400 upgrade... http://www.barefeats.com/imacal4.html

4GB of RAM would be extremely nice for photography work. However, Apple charges WAY too much for their RAM. My advice is to get it with 2GB, then buy a 2GB module from a third party seller to bump it up to 4GB. The price difference is huge (you're looking at $700 versus an average of $250).

Hope this helps.

Feverish Flux
Oct 11, 2007, 01:04 PM
4GB of RAM would be extremely nice for photography work. However, Apple charges WAY too much for their RAM. My advice is to get it with 2GB, then buy a 2GB module from a third party seller to bump it up to 4GB. The price difference is huge (you're looking at $700 versus an average of $250).

Hope this helps.

Problem is, if you order the machine with 2GB, it comes with 2X1GB chips.

If you go the 4GB route, just order it with the stock 1GB RAM and get the 4GB of RAM elsewhere. 2X2GB kits are running around $200 these days.

Cheers

jlanuez
Oct 11, 2007, 02:47 PM
...just order it with the stock 1GB RAM and get the 4GB of RAM elsewhere. 2X2GB kits are running around $200 these days.
Cheers

Where is the best place to buy the 2x2GB RAM for this iMac.
I'm mostly concerned with QUALITY, cost second. Can I buy the same RAM that Apple installs?

Feverish Flux
Oct 11, 2007, 02:50 PM
Where is the best place to buy the 2x2GB RAM for this iMac.
I'm mostly concerned with QUALITY, cost second. Can I buy the same RAM that Apple installs?

www.macsales.com or www.datamemorysystems.com

The RAM brand tends to change from time to time in the Macs - usually Hynix or Samsung, though.

jlanuez
Oct 11, 2007, 04:19 PM
www.macsales.com or www.datamemorysystems.com

The RAM brand tends to change from time to time in the Macs - usually Hynix or Samsung, though.

WOW! This was a great suggestion and may save me $600! :D
Thanks MacRumors!!!

I have never ordered a new computer without ordering all the RAM I needed right from the manufacturer at the time of ordering.
This may be the first time!:)