Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MmmPancakes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Austin, TX
What is the likelihood of the next Apple updates not only bricking the Touch, but also putting it in a state that is beyond repair?

Can the Touch always be factory restored?

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
You could look at it like this. Think about the Video iPod (though completely different OSes, it gets my point across) Remember the Linux community for that? And if you ever screwed up anything, all you had to do was a HARD RESET IE a restore to fix anything gone wrong, you would have to do that when you updated through Apple Update too. So chances are pretty darn slim.

If there ever was an update, don't go with it right away! If you are afraid that itunes will search for updates, use it only when your internet connection is not active or disable itunes from connecting at all, or just use it on an offline computer.

Another method is if the update goes by and there are some good features on it, and either you wait for a crack to come out or you like the features better, restore your ipod and then update. The iPhone is a different story as it has the whole sim card issue and the fact that it doesn't work when you don't have a service plan for it.

So for the short answer, the chances are slim, I dare-say 1 out of 100,000.

kevbo1983

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2007
Yea, I agree. You're not going to brick your iTouch.

The only iPhones that were bricked were the ones that were UNLOCKED (completely different than the jailbreak). Nothing happened to the iPhones that used jailbreak and updated to 1.1.1 and nothing will happen to the iTouchs.

MmmPancakes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Austin, TX
These are great responses. My fear is that I'll either hose the process of jailbreaking the Touch, or Apple will do it for me with an update, leaving me with the proverbial paperweight.

I'd be relieved to know that no matter what I do, or what happens, the device can be restored to a factory state.

db2431

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
These are great responses. My fear is that I'll either hose the process of jailbreaking the Touch, or Apple will do it for me with an update, leaving me with the proverbial paperweight.

I'd be relieved to know that no matter what I do, or what happens, the device can be restored to a factory state.

Ive yet to hear of anyone bricking their touch from jailbreaking, all have been able to restore from what ive seen.

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
I guess my opinion is much better than I thought. Just make sure you are at your computer where you sync your ipod. You will lose everything on your ipod so make sure you know what you are doing! It just saves time and frustration. You know what... I'm gonna log into my Windows partition and try the hack out myself. The only thing keeping me from doing so is the fact that I don't have any apps (someone PM me please! ;))

Good luck!

MmmPancakes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Austin, TX
I guess my opinion is much better than I thought. Just make sure you are at your computer where you sync your ipod. You will lose everything on your ipod so make sure you know what you are doing! It just saves time and frustration. You know what... I'm gonna log into my Windows partition and try the hack out myself. The only thing keeping me from doing so is the fact that I don't have any apps (someone PM me please! ;))

Good luck!

Good luck! Be sure to report back when you're done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.