Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

confucious42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
I was wondering how much these things are worth, because I saw one at a friends house, and I've never seen one before. I thought it was very interesting, and I was wondering what was the deal on these things?

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Almost nothing.

That's an odd assertion. Beige G3s can still sell for around $100, first-gen iMacs the same. The AiO Beige was an oddity, only sold to the education market. So based solely on its specs, it might only be worth $100, because it's more rare, it would probably garner more from a collector.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
That's an odd assertion. Beige G3s can still sell for around $100, first-gen iMacs the same. The AiO Beige was an oddity, only sold to the education market. So based solely on its specs, it might only be worth $100, because it's more rare, it would probably garner more from a collector.

I'm a collector. I have over 80 vintage Macs ranging from SEs to G3s. I wouldn't pay anything close to $100 for an AIO, and I can't think of anybody that would.

A recent posting on the LEM Swaplist (the haven for Mac collectors) offers 135 G3 AIOs for free.

They're not terribly great, and really big and heavy and cost a ton to ship anywhere, especially given since G3 desktops, which are more powerful, often cost less to buy and ship than a G3 AIO costs just to ship. An iMac is such a better value.

Oh yeah, and the average first generation iMac isn't going to sell for $100 either. I bought five for $50 once, and they show up on LEM Swap all the time for pretty cheap.

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
Yea, most people just throw them out cause they are to much to ship ( close to 60lbs) i got the 2 i own for free for getting 6 others working. and eventualy there is going to be few of them left.

I guess you can say that they are the Mac that everyone will forget. and cause of this reason it will be forced into rarity, alto not to most collectors perspective

it isnt as fast as the B&W cause the system bus is 33mhz slower, takes 256mb less max ram then a B&W, and lacks a 66mhz PCI slot, but the way mine is i cant complain, cause it served me well and it still continues to serve me well. its got 10.4.10 on it and running great ( minus a few things). i still use it as a TV ( with the help from my cable box) and i also run my xbox, dreamcast and other game systems thru it. and it serves as a jukebox ( cause it hooks to my home stereo).

i am one of the few that actual likes the G3 AIO.

mactarkus

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2003
Florida
A fellow collector!

We're going to feature the G3 AIO on our podcast this week (http://www.retromaccast.com). I was wondering if you listen to our show since you seem to be in the target audience.

Cheers,

James

I'm a collector. I have over 80 vintage Macs ranging from SEs to G3s. I wouldn't pay anything close to $100 for an AIO, and I can't think of anybody that would.

A recent posting on the LEM Swaplist (the haven for Mac collectors) offers 135 G3 AIOs for free.

They're not terribly great, and really big and heavy and cost a ton to ship anywhere, especially given since G3 desktops, which are more powerful, often cost less to buy and ship than a G3 AIO costs just to ship. An iMac is such a better value.

Oh yeah, and the average first generation iMac isn't going to sell for $100 either. I bought five for $50 once, and they show up on LEM Swap all the time for pretty cheap.

confucious42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
I really like the podcast, it is very informative. I listened to the new one, and some of the older ones.

d_and_n5000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
I was wondering how much these things are worth, because I saw one at a friends house, and I've never seen one before. I thought it was very interesting, and I was wondering what was the deal on these things?

I can't imagine too terribly much.Maybe around, ehh, 75-100USD? But they get props for being somewhat mildly rare(education only), but cost a buttload to ship anywhere.

But they're tanks, I gotta give Apple credit for that. Nine years, and they're just now starting to die at my school. And they'll run 10.2 without too many troubles, they are G3, after all. But I wouldn't get one unless you are a collector, or you can get one for free or something. They just aren't worth it otherwise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.