Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
I'm getting ready to switch but am bouncing back and forth between 1G iMac 17" and 1.6 G5. The prices are pretty close but there are pros and cons. iMac you get the 17" monitor with the unit. Course it doesn't have the new chip or the new architecture nor does it have the expandability. For almost the same price the G5 seems more suited for the future but it would mean extra money for a monitor. I'm replacing an aging windows machine.....266, yeah stop the belly laughs now you'll hurt yourself;) . The machine will be for family usage: internet, word processing (just ordered Office @ $99 from Amazon), cd burning and going with the superdrive for future DVD. Yes, the G5 may be overkill but the engineering and the new processor are just irresistable!

Your comments on the above would be welcome.

Now, assuming I go for the G5 I'll be looking for a monitor. I bought a Samsung 15" LCD for my daughter and am quite taken by it. Nicely engineered, looks good both design wise and also the display. I'm thinking about getting their 17" LCD....sorry don't have the number right now. Will any LCD be able to hook up and run with the G5? Any other suggestions for a monitor? Keep in mind that 17" is probably optimum right now and price is importand.....~ $400 probably the limit. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
personally, i recommend Apple displays to go along with the powermac... combine that with how much overkill a G5 would be, i think it's clear that an iMac would fit your needs to a T. I can't blame you for wanting the G5 tho :) Basically, if it were me, i would only get the G5 if i could also spend the money on the apple display-- if not, say hello to iMac.

:D
pnw

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
A lot of people will tell you to buy the best computer you can to protect yourself against the future.

That's a lot of bull to eat at one sitting.

The fact is that if a computer system meets your needs well now, it's unlikely that it will cease to meet your needs later just because the next better model is out.

I concur with paul. Buy the iMac.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
A 17" LCD for $400.00? I wish. Factory refurbished maybe? Buy used?

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
You should be able to hook up any LCD (or CRT) to the G5 as it has an DVI as well as an ADC connector and comes with a DVI-to-VGA-adapter. Just to make sure you can ask the support of the company you're going to buy the display from to confirm that there won't be a problem.

Alte22a

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2003
back in London
Am I right that the Apple displays are made by Samsung anyway? I think buy an expensive CRT if you cant afford an expensive LCD, but dont buy cheap LCDs.

lessthandmb

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2003
Does anyone have any experience with the dell LCD's? If you do would the 19in. lcd be a better choice then the 17in. apple studio? The monitor is for use in Digital Audio recording not gaming, if thats makes a difference.

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
Thanks for the advice so far. I understand that the iMac would probably fit the bill but all the extra bells and whistles for not that much more are swaying me toward the 1.6 G5. As to monitors I've been looking at the Planar monitors, ViewSonic, Samsung and the prices don't seem that bad for a 17" LCD with digital hook up. Still researching that one but pretty much decided on the g5. As to G5 prices, the best I've seen is at the Apple store with the edu discount. Anyone seen anything better? Thanks for the help so far keep it coming;)

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Originally posted by therevolution
I don't think they're as expensive as you think they are. Have you looked around recently? I got my 19" for $485...

I guess that would be for the buyer to beware. I've always been a firm believer in you get what you pay for.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
Dell LCDs

Originally posted by lessthandmb
Does anyone have any experience with the dell LCD's? If you do would the 19in. lcd be a better choice then the 17in. apple studio? The monitor is for use in Digital Audio recording not gaming, if thats makes a difference.

I have dual 1901FP displays and I can honestly say that they beat the pants off of any display that Apple makes.

1280x1024
600:1 contrast ratio
wonderful response time
DVI-D and VGA connections

I love these displays. I got mine for $562 each through my company, but Dell has them on sale every couple of weeks. They are well worth the money.

Hickman

macrumors12345

Suspended
Mar 1, 2003
Re: Monitor Advice?

Originally posted by zagato27
Will any LCD be able to hook up and run with the G5? Any other suggestions for a monitor? Keep in mind that 17" is probably optimum right now and price is importand.....~ $400 probably the limit. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

You shouldn't have any compatability problems if you get a monitor with a DVI interface.

I just received a 17" Hitachi CML174 display that I bought for $400 at http://www.monitorsdirect.com. I'm planning to combine it with the Dual G5 that I have on order. The Hitachi is very highly rated - the only flaw is that supposedly the color rendition is not terribly accurate when using the digital connection. I haven't had a chance to test it yet on the digital connection, but it looks pretty good on the analog connection. Anyway, you might want to consider that...unfortunately the coupon I used has since expired, so it's now $460 at monitorsdirect. Maybe you can find it for cheaper by using http://www.froogle.com.

railthinner

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
more than $400 dollars....... but I got a Viewsonic VX900 and I like it a lot. It was $650 for a 19", with DVI and little speakers.

Thought I'd add some advice: If you have a great computer with a bad monitor it can make you feel like you just wasted a lot of money, cause no matter how fast and capable that machine is you're still looking at crap or lacking much needed screen real estate for that really cool stuff you want to do. Shell out a bit more for a good large monitor, or get an imac.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Thanks for the advice so far. I understand that the iMac would probably fit the bill but all the extra bells and whistles for not that much more are swaying me toward the 1.6 G5. As to monitors I've been looking at the Planar monitors, ViewSonic, Samsung and the prices don't seem that bad for a 17" LCD with digital hook up. Still researching that one but pretty much decided on the g5. As to G5 prices, the best I've seen is at the Apple store with the edu discount. Anyone seen anything better? Thanks for the help so far keep it coming;)

I would hesitate a little before buying a rev.A product from Apple. Sometimes the first go-round has some significant bugs. The iMac is definetly a safer bet here. Or just hold off a few more months to see what the major complaints about the G5 turn out to be.

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
Originally posted by mactastic
I would hesitate a little before buying a rev.A product from Apple. Sometimes the first go-round has some significant bugs. The iMac is definetly a safer bet here. Or just hold off a few more months to see what the major complaints about the G5 turn out to be.

Ok, good point. I've heard some talk regarding revA products. I will consider that. I keep thinking that the iMac has been passed by....not that it is bad but it has the Motorolla chip and isn't Apple switching completely to IBM chips? Another thought, we don't buy new computers every 3 yrs like some do. The next computer will probably have to last 5 to 6 yrs so I'm thinking that the newest tech might be best (G5)? Still mulling this one over.

Monitors, thanks everyone. Yes, I have looked at Monitors Direct. Fact is I bought my son's 15" Planar LCD from them. Been happy with it so far, no dead pixels. They have a ViewSonic VP171B 17" (.264, 1280x1024, 500:1 contrast, 260 brightness and 16ms response time $528) that doesn't look bad. NEC 1760NX (.264, 450:1 contrast, 260 brightness, 16ms response time $489). Both of these are Analog & Digital. Think they also have a Planar with similar specs but it had integrated speakers which I don't really want but who knows. Thanks also for the tip on Dell. I'll take a look.

Still in search mode on all this but MAC it is. I'm not going back to WINDOZE!

macrumors12345

Suspended
Mar 1, 2003
Monitors, thanks everyone. Yes, I have looked at Monitors Direct. Fact is I bought my son's 15" Planar LCD from them. Been happy with it so far, no dead pixels.

Just a followup - I tested my new Hitachi CML174 yesterday using the DVI connection on my roommate's Powerbook G4, and I have to say that I am pretty impressed. I didn't have any problems with the colors - maybe you would notice something if you are a graphic designer, but for the rest of us it works just fine. Also, it is incredibly bright - so much so that even though I turned down the brightness, my iBook screen seemed rather dull and yellowish when I went back to using it (and the iBook has one of the brightest screens I've seen on a laptop). It also has industry leading pixel response times, though I didn't test that.

Overall, it seems like a much nicer display than the Dell Ultrasharp 1800FP's that we have in our computer lab. But maybe those just look bad because they are running Windows XP...it's hard to tell.

macrumors12345

Suspended
Mar 1, 2003
The next computer will probably have to last 5 to 6 yrs so I'm thinking that the newest tech might be best (G5)? Still mulling this one over.

Yes, definitely go with the G5. The iMac is outdated...it's barely even half the speed of the G5. If you are worried about it being "Rev A", just wait a couple months and see what users are saying. Personally, I think the Rev A phobia is a little overblown. There weren't any major problems with the first PowerMac G4's - that didn't happen until the Mirror Drive Door G4 towers (which sounded like jet turbines). Likewise, there were no problems with the original Beige PowerMac G3. Having used the G5 at the Apple Store, I can say that it appears very quiet and well built...we'll see with time.

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
Still talking monitors here. I've been searching and have seen some good reviews of the Planar PX171M: 17"; 260 bright; 400:1 contrast, analog & DVI-D; and 16ms response. Price doesn't look to bad from Monitors Direct $529. Anyone have any experience with this one? Also looked at the Dell 1901 but it's a bit pricey. Good specs though. If I remember correctly it does have the digital connection but compatibility wise it just lists PC, no Mac? The Dell 1800 looked good too but I believe it didn't have the response time the Planar had and I think it was .29 with the Planar .264 pixel pitch. Anyone have any experience with Philips/LG/Viewsonic????

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.