PDA

View Full Version : Apple.com Pays Tribute to Al Gore's Peace Prize Win

queshy
Oct 12, 2007, 03:30 PM
Did anyone just go to apple.com? Weird....check it out.

I don't think we'll get a leopard announcement today if this is what's on the front page...

Littleodie914
Oct 12, 2007, 03:32 PM
Did anyone just go to apple.com? Weird....check it out.He just won the nobel peace prize. :)

lofight
Oct 12, 2007, 03:33 PM
it's Al Gore on the Homepage!!

AppleiMac
Oct 12, 2007, 03:33 PM

Yes it is? Why would they have that up there? Kind of dumb to have on your front page, and can alienate some customers. They should have products up there!

"We are bursting with pride"? :rolleyes:

paulyras
Oct 12, 2007, 03:34 PM

I don't think we'll get a leopard announcement today if this is what's on the front page...
Dammit Al. Give me my Leopard!

eenu
Oct 12, 2007, 03:35 PM
Yes it is? Why would they have that up there? Kind of dumb to have on your front page, and can alienate some customers. They should have products up there!

cos he just won the nobel prize and he is on their board of directors!

lofight
Oct 12, 2007, 03:36 PM
i think Steve and Al are very good friends, this site is viewed by tons of people, so... Al deserves it!!

chrisgeleven
Oct 12, 2007, 03:36 PM
Keep in mind, Al Gore is on the Apple Board of Directors. That explains why he is on their home page.

dokein
Oct 12, 2007, 03:38 PM
I love how they show Al in front of a picture of a hurricane. Because everyone knows global warming causes more, bigger, nastier hurricanes. That's why we've had so many this season and last, just like everyone predicted.

MLeepson
Oct 12, 2007, 03:38 PM
The whole Al Gore thing on the front page is prob. just a filler for an announcement image.

chrisdazzo
Oct 12, 2007, 03:39 PM

Although I personally think Al Gore is full of crap, I don't think people should be alienated by some Nobel Prize winner a company chooses to recognize on their front page. Yeah, Apple supports Gore, but that doesn't mean they're not still Apple, who has been churning out amazing products for as long as I can remember... (No rants about Al Gore, there's other threads for that!) :D

He's on the BOD? :O Whoa.

JSpence
Oct 12, 2007, 03:40 PM
It means Al's bringing the hurricane for the announcement of Leopards shipping date!!

Mac OS X Ocelot
What is up with Apple Hot News posting three articles on Al Gore and his Nobel Prize?

Peace
I love how they show Al in front of a picture of a hurricane. Because everyone knows global warming causes more, bigger, nastier hurricanes. That's why we've had so many this season and last, just like everyone predicted.

A large hurricane just happens to be a new Leopard desktop picture also.

mwxiao

AL Core is on the board of directors of Apple.

lofight
Oct 12, 2007, 03:43 PM
What is up with Apple Hot News posting three articles on Al Gore and his Nobel Prize?

actually there are seven articles, but i agree apple doing this because you must be very proud if one of your board members won a nobel prize!

Montserrat
Oct 12, 2007, 03:43 PM
Anyone mention that Al Gore is on Apple's board of directors? :D

MacRumors
Oct 12, 2007, 03:44 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Former Vice President and Apple Board member, Al Gore, won the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize (http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/10/12/nobel.gore/index.html?sr=hotnews) along with the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

Apple.com's homepage (http://www.apple.com) updated with a tribute to Al Gore:

Al has put his heart and soul, and much of his life during the past several years, into alerting and educating us all on the climate crisis. We are bursting with pride for Al and this historic recognition of his global contributions.

Al Gore joined (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2003/mar/19gore.html) Apple's Board of Directors in 2003.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/12/apple-com-tributes-al-gores-peace-prize-win/)

JSpence
Oct 12, 2007, 03:45 PM
Anyone mention that Al Gore is on Apple's board of directors? :D

Isn't Al Gore on the board of directors?

They only have 7 of 'em?

chrisgeleven
Oct 12, 2007, 03:46 PM
Plus his documentary is probably the most famous non-Apple presentation to use Keynote.

mcarnes
Oct 12, 2007, 03:49 PM
'bout time someone at apple won the noble peace prize.

queshy
Oct 12, 2007, 03:50 PM

They only got into this whole "environment" thing after they got slammed by the environmentalists...otherwise they'd never post something like this.

Sidenote:

I feel so special for having contributed to MR by being the first to post a story :D lol

/Sidenote

rosalindavenue
Oct 12, 2007, 03:52 PM
That's a classy nod by Apple. How many corporations have a Nobel Peace Prize winner on their board? It's also nice "repayment" for the very prominent use of the 17" powerbook in "An Inconvenient Truth."

sananda
Oct 12, 2007, 03:53 PM
The whole Al Gore thing on the front page is prob. just a filler for an announcement image.

of course not. a director of apple won the nobel peace prize, for heaven's sake. it's nothing to do with a product announcement. if you think that it is, you're too obsessed with apple products.

T-Mac
Oct 12, 2007, 03:55 PM

I just threw up in my mouth a little.... :eek:

...and I'm from Al's home state!

sblasl
Oct 12, 2007, 03:55 PM
That's enough to make me puke. Shareholders should boot his butt out of the boardroom.

And yes, I am serious.

Peace
Oct 12, 2007, 03:58 PM
That's enough to make me puke. Shareholders should boot his butt out of the boardroom.

And yes, I am serious.

Having problems Reading ? (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4316473&postcount=21)

plumbingandtech
Oct 12, 2007, 03:58 PM

And yes, I am serious.

No you are not. Give it a break. (See Peace's comment above.)

On topic: The keynote team must be estatic too!!!

kingnimrod
Oct 12, 2007, 04:00 PM
Wow, Al Gore joins some illustrious company as a peace prize recipient:

http://newsbusters.org/static/2007/06/2007-06-16YasserArafat.jpg

gkarris
Oct 12, 2007, 04:01 PM
Having problems Reading ? (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4316473&postcount=21)

The "Nobel Peace Prize" itself has just made a "politcal statement"...

"Bursting?"

I felt like putting this page and AT&T Wireless' homepage next to it and "spewing" on it...

Peace
Wow, Al Gore joins some illustrious company as a peace prize recipient:

http://newsbusters.org/static/2007/06/2007-06-16YasserArafat.jpg

Looks like You're (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4316473&postcount=21) having reading trouble too.

slffl
Good for Al and for Apple!!!

Porco
Oct 12, 2007, 04:02 PM
Good on Al Gore, and to Apple for congratulating him. Shame on those voting negative.

Multimedia
Oct 12, 2007, 04:02 PM
You're the best! :)

Taylor C
Oct 12, 2007, 04:03 PM
This is really cool. :)

Doctor Q
Oct 12, 2007, 04:05 PM
Will this news affect sales, or is it just a side note to Apple's business?

offwidafairies
Oct 12, 2007, 04:05 PM
I think it's fantastic that he is on the home page. It brings him and the prize and the global warming issue into the forefront of many people's minds (again) just by what apple does best - advertising. and it's for good, not evil ;)

kingnimrod
Oct 12, 2007, 04:06 PM
The whole nature of the award and the recipient is completely political. If only-buttkissing responses are allowed on this thread, I propose they move the whole thing into the political forum.

MLeepson
of course not. a director of apple won the nobel peace prize, for heaven's sake. it's nothing to do with a product announcement. if you think that it is, you're too obsessed with apple products.
I posted this when this was part of the Leopard topic, fyi. So it had to do with the topic then, but not when this is in it's own topic.

commonpeople
Yes- it's really weird of Apple to announce that one of their employees has won the fricking Nobel Peace Prize.

Apple- please be more modest in future. Next time someone in your company gets a Nobel Prize- you can just mention it in 8 point font at the bottom of some technical document. You don't have to brag about it.

paulie22
Oct 12, 2007, 04:09 PM
Youd have to be ignorant to say otherwise, so face the fire since you posted it. This guy has already won almost every award...An emmy, An oscar...its pathetic...ya he might be a smart guy but i think its hideous for him to have won an emmy and oscar...give the awards to those hard working people who are in the industry who slave 16 hour days. Ya sure he deserves an award for inventing the internet and for his acting role as spok on star trek (lol) how many awards can you give a guy...its boring...we dont care...and why post it on the front page of apple? whats next? they're gonna tell us hes an alien from the planet volcon?

Please keep purely political discussion in the politics forum:
Existing thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=367608

This was posted as a story due to Apple posting it with such prominence on their own site. I don't want this to degenerate into a political argument thread. Those posts should be made in our Political subforum (http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47)

arn

ctsport1234
Oct 12, 2007, 04:10 PM
Awesome! Iam very happy for AL! His contributions have moved many people and changed many peoples' lives for the better, including mine. Thanks for all your hardwork and dedication Mr. Gore! :D:D:D

buffsldr
Oct 12, 2007, 04:11 PM
Arn,
I don't know how much pull you have over there at Apple, but in keeping with your warning on purely political posts, could you please move SteveJ's post off the main site into the "Fantasy Games" section of Apple's site?

In all seriousness, Kudo's to Al for busting his hump and throwing himself into his life's passion. Is it Nobel worthy? I am afraid it is. Considering that Carter and Arafat are also winners, I see no problem lumping Al in with them.

Peace,
Buffsldr

tobefirst
Is it just me, or does the site not look like a typical Apple homepage? Yes, I've seen them do non-product related things before- that is not what I'm talking about. Maybe the font is off or something, but it looks like it was cheaply done.

mikey.f
Go Al!

First I saw it, I was like, OMG did he die or what? Then I had to look up CNN news to see he got a Nobel prize :o :rolleyes:

I think it's nice of Apple to congratulate him this way. :cool:

gwangung
Oct 12, 2007, 04:13 PM
The "Nobel Peace Prize" itself has just made a "politcal statement"....

You realize how redundant this is?

Peace is a political process in general (and remember, war is a political process conducted through other means). So, any award involving "peace" is INHERENTLY political. There ain't no way around it.

What you mean is that "the Nobel Peace Prize made a political statement
I didn't like."

Arn,
I don't know how much pull you have over there at Apple, but in keeping with your warning on purely political posts, could you please move SteveJ's post off the main site into the "Fantasy Games" section of Apple's site?

In all seriousness, Kudo's to Al for busting his hump and throwing himself into his life's passion. Is it Nobel worthy? I am afraid it is. Considering that Carter and Arafat are also winners, I see no problem lumping Al in with them.

Peace,
Buffsldr

Not to mention Henry Kissinger...

ChrisA
Oct 12, 2007, 04:15 PM

Gore is on the Aplle board of Directors. He is one of Steve's bosses

sananda
Oct 12, 2007, 04:17 PM
i've never seen tribute used as verb before. am i behind the times?

Multimedia
Oct 12, 2007, 04:18 PM
Interesting file structure. The background is transparent. When you open it in Preview it has a grey background.

summitwynds
Oct 12, 2007, 04:18 PM
"Do as I say not as I do"

I have heard "from someone who has been in Al's home".... that he has a huge wine cellar (how does that get cooled?) and drives an SUV.

sananda
Oct 12, 2007, 04:21 PM
I was trying to say that that won't last long. I'm saying that you should expect to a see a Leopard thing in that spot soon.

well it didn't sound like that ... but if that's what you meant, ok.

tjanuranus
Oct 12, 2007, 04:22 PM

And yes, I am serious.

boot him for winning the Nobel peace prize? what's next, crucify someone for curing cancer? lol. People are acting like winning the Peace prize is a bad thing!!?????!

elppa
It is sad to me that some contributors seem completely oblivious of what a big deal winning a Nobel Prize actually is.

"Bursting with pride" sounds like a Steve Jobs expression, I wouldn't be surprised if he wrote the whole thing.

Doctor Q
Gore is on the Aplle board of Directors. He is one of Steve's bossesMaybe Al ordered Steve to put his photo on the home page!

ellsworth
Oct 12, 2007, 04:23 PM
If you look closely you can see Leopard coming out of the hurricane in the background ;)

Multimedia
Oct 12, 2007, 04:23 PM

I have heard "from someone who has been in Al's home".... that he has a huge wine cellar (how does that get cooled?) and drives an SUV.Maybe Al will use some of his prize money to make his lifestyle greener. :)

gkarris
Oct 12, 2007, 04:26 PM
You realize how redundant this is?

Peace is a political process in general (and remember, war is a political process conducted through other means). So, any award involving "peace" is INHERENTLY political. There ain't no way around it.

What you mean is that "the Nobel Peace Prize made a political statement
I didn't like."

Then this thread should be in the "Political Forum"...

crees!
Oct 12, 2007, 04:28 PM
To Al: It's the Sun, stupid.

summitwynds
Gore isnt quite as green as he's led the world to believe.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/editorials/2006-08-09-gore-green_x.htm

Westside guy
While I don't agree with the choice (it reminds me too much of a Futurama episode where Bender was given the Nobel Prize in Chemistry simply because they wanted to give him something, and that's the one that was handy) - as a member of Apple's Board, honoring Gore for his Nobel win makes complete sense and is perfectly appropriate IMNSHO.

imwoblin
Oct 12, 2007, 04:29 PM

I have heard "from someone who has been in Al's home".... that he has a huge wine cellar (how does that get cooled?) and drives an SUV.

Ain't it the truth. These "Environmental Celebrities" spend too much time preaching and not enough time doing. I've seen pics of Al's office with 3 30" linked cinema displays and a plasma tv. He lives in a mansion and drives a suv. He flys to all of his celebrity functions in his private jet, yet wants the common folk to cut back in our driving and polluting. Sheesh!

summitwynds
Oct 12, 2007, 04:33 PM
Gore tells consumers how to change their lives to curb their carbon-gobbling ways: Switch to compact fluorescent light bulbs, use a clothesline, drive a hybrid, use renewable energy, dramatically cut back on consumption. Better still, responsible global citizens can follow Gore's example, because, as he readily points out in his speeches, he lives a "carbon-neutral lifestyle." But if Al Gore is the world's role model for ecology, the planet is doomed.

Public records reveal that as Gore lectures Americans on excessive consumption, he and his wife Tipper live in two properties: a 10,000-square-foot, 20-room, eight-bathroom home in Nashville, and a 4,000-square-foot home in Arlington, Va. (He also has a third home in Carthage, Tenn.) For someone rallying the planet to pursue a path of extreme personal sacrifice, Gore requires little from himself. (from an article in USA Today, I posted a link to the article, but it got deleted)

TantalizedMind
Oct 12, 2007, 04:35 PM
Can I use my Education Discount on the new Apple GorePro?

MLeepson
Oct 12, 2007, 04:37 PM
well it didn't sound like that ... but if that's what you meant, ok.

Yes, because it was in the wrong context. It made sense when it was in a Leopard topic.

nagromme
Oct 12, 2007, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the topic move - beat me to it :)

(I'd suggest linking to the other thread in the original article. Right now that announcement is buried way down the thread and easily missed.)

grappler
Oct 12, 2007, 04:42 PM
They only got into this whole "environment" thing after they got slammed by the environmentalists...otherwise they'd never post something like this.

Sidenote:

I feel so special for having contributed to MR by being the first to post a story :D lol

/Sidenote

I have to think that Al's presence on the board was a vote in favor of any environmental initiatives the company might do.

I mean, could you really see him in the boardroom saying, "no, let's not do a hardware recycling program - it's too expensive"?

CJD2112
Oct 12, 2007, 04:42 PM
A large hurricane just happens to be a new Leopard desktop picture also.

Yeah, and when my friend Dave saw it as a new desktop wallpaper in Leopard he said "Is that Katrina?!" lol Could you imagine if the name said "Katrina"? Such bad taste lol

grappler
Oct 12, 2007, 04:48 PM
Yes- it's really weird of Apple to announce that one of their employees has won the fricking Nobel Peace Prize.

Apple- please be more modest in future. Next time someone in your company gets a Nobel Prize- you can just mention it in 8 point font at the bottom of some technical document. You don't have to brag about it.

Is a board member considered an employee?

I wonder what they pay him...

SiliconAddict
Oct 12, 2007, 04:48 PM
I like this picture better.
http://images.dailytech.com/nimage/6297_algore.jpg

I am your god! Kneel before Zo...I mean Al! MWAHAHAHA!

milo
Oct 12, 2007, 04:49 PM

Why? How many other corporations have even had a Nobel winner?

SiliconAddict
Oct 12, 2007, 04:52 PM

When has Apple ever worried about alienating people? :rolleyes: *coughs*1.1.1*coughs*

I can guarantee you they pissed off more people with that update then with this.

deejemon
Oct 12, 2007, 04:52 PM
Congratulations, Al.

Whether you agree with what he has to say or the conclusions he presents, you cannot ignore his motives and intent - to make the world better for all. Not just one country or company or even hemisphere, but worldwide. And he does so through peaceful methods such as talking and educating. And, even if he is off-base, his desire for a healthy planet is still noble (no pun intended).

He's an incredibly articulate and passionate speaker, who knows his subject matter in detail (again, whether or not you agree with his conclusions or analysis, he can talk about the topic at great length).

So, once again, congratulations Al and co.

stevesidea
Oct 12, 2007, 04:53 PM
which is what he did the presentation on.
they need to push that concept... and also give the inconvenient truth keynote file away as a download to schools!

SiliconAddict
Oct 12, 2007, 04:54 PM

In science? Quite a few I'd guess.

paulie22
Oct 12, 2007, 04:56 PM
You did mean Lizard? Yes, because it was in the wrong context. It made sense when it was in a Leopard topic.

milo
Oct 12, 2007, 04:58 PM
In science? Quite a few I'd guess.

And you'd think it was weird if the company they worked for put it on their website?

MLeepson
Oct 12, 2007, 04:58 PM
Interesting file structure. The background is transparent. When you open it in Preview it has a grey background.

I saw that too. The changed it to two images: 1 for the text and another for the image. And they're both gifs.

But before when it was one png, there was another image, that was a like a dark grey inverted arc hanging over the image?
Does that making any sense?

grappler
Oct 12, 2007, 04:59 PM
When has Apple ever worried about alienating people? :rolleyes: *coughs*1.1.1*coughs*

I can guarantee you they pissed off more people with that update then with this.

definitely.

I am still pissed about 1.1.1, and hoping they announce something about 3rd party development soon. Maybe in conjunction with leopard?

gkarris
Oct 12, 2007, 04:59 PM
Mod's note: If anyone wishes to discuss the political dimension of this story or the phenomenon of global warming, then we do have a parallel thread in the political forum (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=367608) well underway already.

Thanks

Thank you..

As far as Apple doing this - I thought it's kind of a waste...

MLeepson
Oct 12, 2007, 05:04 PM
You did mean Lizard?

I don't think so...Leopard is Apple's new operating system.

Peace
Oct 12, 2007, 05:07 PM
I think it's great that a company puts up a proud statement on it's homepage about one of it's board directors winning the Nobel Prize.

Anything other argument is mute imho.

milo
Oct 12, 2007, 05:09 PM
The award used to be for scientific breakthroughs. Then they watered it down by adding an award in economics, which is not technically a 'Nobel.'

Used to be? You need to check your facts, they've had the peace prize and one for literature since they began. Whether the award for economics is a real nobel or not is a moot point in this discussion since it's not the one Gore was awarded.

gwangung
Oct 12, 2007, 05:13 PM
Is a board member considered an employee?

I wonder what they pay him...

That's public knowledge. Check the proxy statement.

Multimedia
Oct 12, 2007, 05:13 PM
The award used to be for scientific breakthroughs. Then they watered it down by adding an award in economics, which is not technically a 'Nobel.'

Now, they are a political hack group just like the Emmy's, and 'the Academy.'

What a waste.No it has always been for a number of different things - not only scientific since 1901.

Here is the list of Peace Prize winners since 1901. (http://nobelpeaceprize.org/eng_lau_list.html)

Here is the page that links you to all the different categories. (http://nobelprize.org/)

Medicine (http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/medicine/laureates/index.html)
Physics (http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/index.html)
Chemistry (http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/chemistry/laureates/index.html)
Literature (http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/literature/laureates/index.html)
Peace (http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/index.html)
Economics (http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/economics/laureates/) - only this one's new just since 1969

dokein
Oct 12, 2007, 05:25 PM
After getting Jobs and the whole Apple board off the hook for that stock options scandal, I guess they had to say thank you somehow...

irun5k
Oct 12, 2007, 05:43 PM
Tell me.Had you won a Nobel prize would you put that fact on your homepage?

That's what Apple did with their most recognizable board director.No politics just pride.

Actually no. I have a shareware business and I never put anything on our site unless it relates directly to a product. If someone gives us an award for a great product, you can bet it will make our home page. If I get an award from the city for volunteering to coach little league, that doesn't make the web site.

My day job, however, is a major corporation and certain community related things do make it to a "PR" part of our web site. For example, when we volunteer at Christmas to send gifts to the soldiers serving overseas or help buy gifts for underprivileged children. That stuff never would make the homepage though.

thaytis
Oct 12, 2007, 05:47 PM
Its absolutely ridiculous to put that on the homepage. SELL computers, software, iPhones and iPods. Don't put a political idealogue on your homepage, even if he is on your board of directors. It will isolate some of your customers.

sushi
Oct 12, 2007, 05:49 PM
Since Al Gore is a member of Apple (Board of Directors) and he recently won the Noble Peace Prize, I think that it is entirely appropriate for Apple to post this on their home page for a few days.

Note, this has nothing to do with whether I agree or disagree with his views on the subject (which I don't for the most part). I am merely discussing what is appropriate.

And while the NPP may be political, it is still an honor to be awarded one.

So congrats to Al Gore.

Whether you agree with what he has to say or the conclusions he presents, you cannot ignore his motives and intent - to make the world better for all.
That much is true.

rockosmodurnlif
Oct 12, 2007, 05:49 PM
So what does Al Gore do on the Board of Directors anyway? Was his movie made using Macs? Has he had some role in making PC users and Mac users get along better? I mean Macs run Windows now so maybe he has.

No it has always been for a number of different things - not only scientific since 1901.

Here is the list of Peace Prize winners since 1901. (http://nobelpeaceprize.org/eng_lau_list.html)

Here is the page that links you to all the different categories. (http://nobelprize.org/)

Medicine (http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/medicine/laureates/index.html)
Physics (http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/index.html)
Chemistry (http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/chemistry/laureates/index.html)
Literature (http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/literature/laureates/index.html)
Peace (http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/index.html)
Economics (http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/economics/laureates/) - only this one's new just since 1969

Look at the past peace prize winners and look at this years. Al Gore and the IPCC may have prevented conflict, the past winners have actually resolved or brokered peace or accomplished something.

I find it interesting this wasn't a scientific award which would give the whole issue more credence.

Tell me.Had you won a Nobel prize would you put that fact on your homepage?

That's what Apple did with their most recognizable board director.No politics just pride.

Where was his front page for winning an Academy Award? How many members of Apple's Board of Directors have achieved that feat?

TurboSC
Oct 12, 2007, 05:51 PM
Al Gore is the man :) He knows what's up. And so does Steve, they make a great team :)

MacVault
Oct 12, 2007, 05:53 PM
What a shame, cuz he's so lame.
This demise, of Nobel Prize.

What a ****** joke! :mad:

doc james
Oct 12, 2007, 05:55 PM
"We are bursting with pride for Al and this historic recognition of his global contributions.

.....And one more thing, Leopard is out on the 26th":D

milo
Oct 12, 2007, 05:55 PM
And I sure as hell don't remember it being a part of Al's initiatives during his '01 run.

Guess you need to improve your memory.

Was his movie made using Macs?

Yeah. His slideshow was done using Keynote, probably the most visible use of it to date.

Multimedia
Oct 12, 2007, 05:57 PM
Why is this a negative? And why are people saying this is a bad thing for Apple? Did nobody know Al Gore was on Apple's board of directors?

Seriously, if your company had one of its employees win the freaking NOBEL PEACE PRIZE, you would place a big announcement on your home page as well.I agree. What's most disappointing is that until Apple put Al on their homepage, MacRumors thought this story belonged only in the Political Forum instead of the on the cover of MacRumors. I will never understand that editorial decision.

twoodcc
Oct 12, 2007, 06:01 PM
so does this mean no leopard announcement today?

sushi
Oct 12, 2007, 06:03 PM
Please keep purely political discussion in the politics forum:
Existing thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=367608

This was posted as a story due to Apple posting it with such prominence on their own site. I don't want this to degenerate into a political argument thread. Those posts should be made in our Political subforum (http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
It looks like many are ignoring your wish on this one.

Too much of a hot potato I guess. Or most folks don't read all the posts before posting. Probably a bit of both.

Remixen
Oct 12, 2007, 06:09 PM
Al Gore is coming here to Norway:p

NewSc2
Oct 12, 2007, 06:18 PM
Unbelievable! Welcome to MacChina!

No wait, i mean Al Gore is da bomd. Thank God he won the Prize, now all is right with the world. Thanks Jesus, only son of Al Gore!

Is that pro-Al enough to stay on the thread? Good grief mods.

None of the Nobel Peace Prize winners have solved world peace (we'd have it by now). Winners like Mother Teresa, Linus Pauling, Jimmy Carter, and others have won the peace prize by promoting ideals that the Nobel Committee had determined was worthy of their award.

People here are trying to belittle the accomplishment because of their political stances against Al Gore, which isn't constructive.

EricBrian
Oct 12, 2007, 06:36 PM
Yeah, good for Apple doing that.

And, congrats to Gore! :) Well deserved.

arn
Oct 12, 2007, 06:42 PM
I've restored the deleted posts. as clearly there's a natural direction this thread will take.

other forum rules are in effect. no direct insults. these threads tend to degenerate so keep it civil.

arn

butnotforme
Oct 12, 2007, 06:44 PM
I was really bummed when I opened up and saw Gore on the front page. I can't stand that man and his false message. It's too bad Mc had to involve such nonsense with their great product. I love Mac way too much to stop buying, but I will say that I've lost some respect for them...

elppa
Oct 12, 2007, 06:50 PM
For example, when we volunteer at Christmas to send gifts to the soldiers serving overseas or help buy gifts for underprivileged children. That stuff never would make the homepage though.

As noble as those actions are they do not equate to winning a Noble Prize. If you won a Noble Prize, you'd have it on your homepage, trust me.

I think we should amend this with.... "since 2003, or whenever it was his movie came out."

I swear, everything must have been fine with the climate before then because I never heard so much about it until now. And I sure as hell don't remember it being a part of Al's initiatives during his '01 run. Convenient...or inconvenient?

Many people knew all about the problem of climate change long before the film. That says nothing about climate change and everything about you.

cadex41
Oct 12, 2007, 06:56 PM
I love apple, and I have for years. I'm one of those people who checks the website everyday, just to see if something new is out!

But this is a little unprofessional. If Steve Jobbs wants to promote what gets him off, get a blog.

elppa
Oct 12, 2007, 07:08 PM
I love apple, and I have for years. I'm one of those people who checks the website everyday, just to see if something new is out!

But this is a little unprofessional. If Steve Jobbs wants to promote what gets him off, get a blog.

I agree, Apple should stick to what they have always done, just focussing on products:

http://www.macobserver.com/images/news/2002/20021015jimmycarter/jimmycarter.jpg

http://www.macobserver.com/images/news/2001/20010914applems/applehomepage.jpg

http://www.macobserver.com/images/news/2004/20041229appletsunami/apple.jpg

http://www.macobserver.com/images/news/2001/20011203harrison/harrisontribute.jpg

http://www.macobserver.com/images/news/2005/20051027rosaparks/applehome.jpg
(All images fromThe Mac Observer (http://www.macobserver.com/))

Apologise for the scrolling, but people have such short memories!

This won't be the first or the last time the Apple homepage looks beyond its own products to the wider world.

Peace
Oct 12, 2007, 07:11 PM
I agree, Apple should stick to what they have always done, just focussing on products:

This won't be the first or the last time the Apple homepage looks beyond its own products to the wider world.

Thank You.

barryd
Oct 12, 2007, 07:18 PM
Thanks Arn for restoring the posts. Nobody gains anything by deleting one side's opinions.

what is wrong with the people who rated the thread negative?

It's funny because I was thinking the same thing...except replace the word "negative" with "positive." Oh well, to each his own. I'm going back to bitching about Mac Pros and their Commodore 64 GPU.

arn
Oct 12, 2007, 07:23 PM
Nobody gains anything by deleting one side's opinions.

for the record. both side's opinions were being deleted. :)

arn

angelwatt
Oct 12, 2007, 07:30 PM
I think it's great that Apple shows off this accomplishment. Congrats.

On another note, I'm rather disgusted by the posts of so many on here. I use to respect the manners of people here, but apparently those days are gone.

sananda
Oct 12, 2007, 07:38 PM
Now they use Gore's bogus Nobel Peace Prize to delay Leopard.

have i missed something? al gore receiving a nobel prize has delayed leopard?

Moof1904
Oct 12, 2007, 07:43 PM

I worked for a corporation that had two Nobel Prize winners on their board.

LastZion
Oct 12, 2007, 07:45 PM

Great post, thank you!

RedTomato
Oct 12, 2007, 07:50 PM
The Nobel Prizes are the most prestigious prizes the entire human race has to offer.

Not all recipients have been saints, and probably not one has been in truth saintly.

Instituted by Alfred Nobel, the inventor of dynamite, one of the greatest killers of the 20th century, the winners of the prizes are as complex as Alfred was himself.

Environmental issues are one of the greatest global challenges facing us, and whatever the reasons behind it, it is as complex as any other issue facing us adults who no longer live in a simple, black and white world.

Al Gore, with a wealth built on oil, is spending that same fortune on trying to make the world a better place. Just as Alfred Nobel did with his money from explosives.

Like many people, I disagree or am uncertain with some elements of the environmental issues presented to me today, but the overall thrust is compelling.

I remember campaigning on environmental issues 15 years ago. At that time it was seen as pretty wild and loony to even think about it. Today, it's become one of the most mainstream issues.

Banks, bankers, stockbrokers, national governments, accountants, laws and lawmakers, supermarkets, scientists, all have shifted to a strong focus on environmental issues to an extent completely unimaginable decades ago.

It took a *lot* of people and a *lot* of work to get to here, and we have a lot further to go.

But Al Gore seems to have been one of the main people responsible for getting it through the heads of people in power that there's something they should at least pretend to take seriously, instead of dismissing it as something that only affects plants, animals, poor people, and non-voters.

rockosmodurnlif
Oct 12, 2007, 08:11 PM

http://www.macobserver.com/images/news/2002/20021015jimmycarter/jimmycarter.jpg

The only one that matters is the first one. I did not know there was precedent. I withdraw my objection. Thank you for presenting some facts in this argument.

I stand by all awards being equal though.

rockosmodurnlif
Oct 12, 2007, 08:22 PM
The Nobel Prizes are the most prestigious prizes the entire human race has to offer.

I disagree with the first sentence.

Compare: TIME Person of the Year (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TIME_Person_of_the_Year#Persons_of_the_Year) with Nobel Peace Prize Laureates (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobel_Peace_Prize#Laureates). Now you tell me which is more prestigious and why. I think neither one matters and is fodder for journalists and commentators.

quigleybc
Oct 12, 2007, 08:30 PM
Maybe Al can get the iPhone to come to Canada.....

:rolleyes:

sananda
Oct 12, 2007, 08:32 PM
Maybe Al can get the iPhone to come to Canada.....

:rolleyes:

al thinks that lowering our co2 output is achievable....but getting iphones to canada...come on...he can't perform miracles! :D

quigleybc
Oct 12, 2007, 08:33 PM
al thinks that lowering our co2 output is achievable....but getting iphones to canada...come on...he can't perform miracles! :D

sigh.....it's funny cuz it's true.....:(;)

viper002060
Oct 12, 2007, 09:14 PM
i believe that most people who tend to buy macs, tend not to be ignorant and stubborn. plus al is on the apple board of directors and he did use a powerbook in his award winning film, and i think it is only fair that they honor his hard work on their home page and let their customers know that they support the cause. brave move on apple's part, but it was the right thing to do.

Multimedia
Oct 12, 2007, 09:18 PM
Outstanding in-depth coverage of why Al deserved the Peace Prize. (http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/environment/july-dec07/nobel_10-12.html)

flyinmac
Oct 12, 2007, 09:53 PM

Yes, I'm amazed that this would be an Apple headline. I guess they had to say something to make it into an Apple headline.

Up next, a story about Hillary that strangely turns into a story about how iPods are helping her educational initiatives.

Rudy was in a crisis, and his iPhone bailed him out.

Obama almost missed the deadline to announce as a candidate, but realized at the last moment that he was standing next to an iCafe. He rushed in, and an Apple employee helped him get his form filled-out and submitted over Apple's express network with the latest MacBook. Good thing Apple was there or he'd have missed the cut-off.

Bush fumbles, but it's not his fault. He was using a PC. It locked-up, and sent the wrong command. Instead of withdrawing the troops, it sent the entire Army and National Guard.

You see, it's all Apple, all the time. Everything that happens in this world is an Apple commercial :D

Merser
Oct 12, 2007, 10:15 PM
Although I personally think Al Gore is full of crap, I don't think people should be alienated by some Nobel Prize winner a company chooses to recognize on their front page. Yeah, Apple supports Gore, but that doesn't mean they're not still Apple, who has been churning out amazing products for as long as I can remember... (No rants about Al Gore, there's other threads for that!) :D

He's on the BOD? :O Whoa.

I agree wholehearteldy. Although I do not support Al Gore nor his theories on "man-made" climate change. I have trouble buying into anything that is not allowed to be questioned... "the consensus is in... the discussion is over..." "Oh that scientist over there that disagrees with our findings... he's just a denier.." (ie see the above thread... "Any fool that believes otherwise is completely disconnected from reality and the scientists actually in the field.")

Well anyway, thats all for a different day and different thread on a different site....

I see nothing wrong with Apple wanting to acknowledge the hard work and efforts of one of their board members. If he wasnt on the board, then I would probably feel a bit otherwise.

law guy
Oct 12, 2007, 10:22 PM
That's a lovely gesture Apple. Congratulations to Al.

khunsanook
Oct 12, 2007, 10:30 PM
I'm all for Al getting the congrats he definitely deserves, but I'm still a bit confused...

This year's Nobel Prize winning physicists, France's Albert Fert and Germany's Peter Gruenberg, pioneered "giant magnetoresistence" which is at the heart of today's magnetic hard drive technology. Their Nobel work accounts for the guts of nearly everything Apple makes, and they haven't received even a blip on Apple's Hot News or homepage. Seems Apple owes a lot more appreciation to those guys than good ol' Al.

FWIW

BKKbill
Oct 12, 2007, 10:53 PM
khunsanook Maybe it's because he is on Apples board of Directors. Gore, said he planned to donate his share of the prize money (about USD 1.8 million) to the Alliance for Climate Protection. That's not small change for an individual.

GavinTing
Oct 12, 2007, 11:26 PM
Al gore works for apple??

blipper
Oct 12, 2007, 11:28 PM
As a Mac owner and Apple shareholder, let me just say how happy I am that Apple chose to recognize Al Gore's achievement on its home page today.

Amdahl
Oct 12, 2007, 11:34 PM
Used to be? You need to check your facts, they've had the peace prize and one for literature since they began. Whether the award for economics is a real nobel or not is a moot point in this discussion since it's not the one Gore was awarded.

It's not a moot point. It demonstrates a long track record of perverting the original meaning that Nobel had for the awards.

Amdahl
Oct 12, 2007, 11:36 PM

That's the one that isn't a Nobel. He didn't believe Political Economy (the original name of the field) was a real science, and he was right.

petch
Oct 12, 2007, 11:43 PM
have i missed something? al gore receiving a nobel prize has delayed leopard?

Follow along...if the countdown to Leopard is delayed on the Apple website for a few days so that big Al can glorified, we must wait to order our Macs for those same few days....

so no...although Leopard won't necessarily be delayed by this....the announcement may in fact be.

There...is that better?

Azadre
Oct 12, 2007, 11:54 PM
I am impressed that Apple can now claim to have had a Nobel Peace Laureate on their staff.

Is there a reason why so many of the posters are quick to bash Al Gore? The yeomen and most posters here are not sure what a scientific journal is. It's easier to believe the Elephant (Anti-Environment Lobby) with the billions of dollars if the truth is obscured. For every anti-Gore comment, find me a peer reviewed article about the subject that for which Gore is being ridiculed.

flyinmac
Oct 13, 2007, 12:02 AM
I am impressed that Apple can now claim to have had a Nobel Peace Laureate on their staff.

So, to me, the big question is:

When is Apple going to release the solar iPod?

Let's stop using electricity to charge these things. Let's stop worrying about battery life.

Instead, let's just use the light around us to power the little nano and shuffle.

I've had lots of solar powered devices over the years. And, surely with what some of them did, the nano and shuffle should be able to do the same. Even if it means storing power in a battery for immediate draw. But, there is enough power in the light to charge those small batteries.

And, if the solar panel kept charging as power was being consumed (which is how many of the devices I've had worked), then battery life could be extended significantly.

belair
Oct 13, 2007, 12:14 AM
Stop bashing Al Gore for whatever political reasons you may have.
This is not only about Al, the democrat, its about a panel of 2500 scientists an huge working groups that have combined their efforts to raise awarness on a global scale.

In Europe we have been driving fuel efficient cars for a decade, our governements make us recycle on a daily basis. It is practically impossible for me today to put a plastic bottle in my trash. It is all about changing the way the largest number of us think.

Apple could push their research to minimize the impact of their products on the environment. I am shure that Al Gore will allow that to happen in the future.

me_94501
Oct 13, 2007, 12:26 AM
On the front page right now, negative votes are slightly outweighing positives.

I know that not everyone agrees with his politics, but for crying out loud, he just won one of the most prestigious awards on Earth. I can't think of a reason for Apple to not honor him in some way, considering the fact that he's on the company's Board of Directors.

I'm sorry. I don't get it.

BKKbill
Oct 13, 2007, 12:33 AM
Just to clarify a few things the Nobel peace prize it’s given out by the Norwegian Nobel committee they decided that Al Gore and the Intergovernmental panel on climate change for their efforts to build up and disseminate greater knowledge about man-made climate change, and to lay the foundations for the measures that are needed to counteract such change. Gore plans to donate his share of the prize money (USD 1.8 million) to the Alliance for Climate Protection.
Alfred Nobel was born in Stockholm, Sweden in 1833. In 1866 he discovers dynamite, he was wealthy by the time of his death in 1896.
In Alfred Nobel's Will, he stated that his money, all nine million of it, would be invested into a steady fund and the interest would be given out for the prize. Nowadays, donations are added to the prize money. When there is no prize given the money is allocated back into the main fund.

Since 1901 when the prize money was 150,000 the amount has increased by 6667% to today's amount of 10 million. Most of the money given to the prize winners usually is used to pay back loans for the research. With research today the cost of paying back loans for all the research could cost much more than 10 million.
There is a good read at http://bostonreview.net/BR26.5/campbell.html if anyone is interested.
Sorry for the long post sometimes some people just get too flippant about others good deeds.

eric55lv
Oct 13, 2007, 12:33 AM
any ways al gore is on the broad of directers of apple and steve jobs is a friend of al gore

Lesser Evets
Oct 13, 2007, 12:39 AM
Why hasn't algore invented the cardboard computer for apple?

Imagine how much he can save the world! Recycling computers, bio degradable computers....enough saving to create another world. I'm pleased the Nobel prize went to the world's first super hero, saving this world from utter comic book chaos and destruction (ie- 2º heat over the next century killing billions through higher crop production, lower disease, and more wildlife).

Praise be for modern sanity!

Uragon
Oct 13, 2007, 01:42 AM
Plus his documentary is probably the most famous non-Apple presentation to use Keynote.

LOL, I think you are quite right.....but did he really use the keynote?

Spritey
Oct 13, 2007, 01:43 AM
WTF is he doing on the page? This just doesn't make sense. :confused:

He's saving Apple's image after Greenpeace and other environmental groups put them on their banned list. (Granted, :apple: has improved some since then)

LOL, I think you are quite right.....but did he really use the keynote?

Yes, if you actually watch his documentary, you can see him editing his presentation on a MBP

JesterJJZ
Oct 13, 2007, 02:53 AM
What an ugly page layout...very un-apple...:confused:

Dalriada
Oct 13, 2007, 05:16 AM
Wow so many immature comments on this thread. I am really saddened by the childish comments & the negative votes for a Nobel Prize winner getting some publicity on Apple's page. Kudos to Steve & Apple. At least some realize the importance of protecting our dear planet. End of rant.

:apple:Dal

tog22
Oct 13, 2007, 07:39 AM
What is wrong with all you people venting spleen at Al Gore? Leave aside the childish contrarianism and scientific ignorance of it; it's also incredibly ungracious. Someone from (I presume) your county just won the Nobel Peace Prize; you should be glad. The worst you can think of him is that he is honestly misled (along with the majority of the scientific community working on this issue, who of course are nothing compared with your towering intellects and handful of factoids), and trying to help avoid a threat which isn't there. Does that deserve all this hate?

conanwar
Oct 13, 2007, 08:19 AM
You know. I was thinking of getting an Ipod Touch. But seeing Al Gore on the website just ticked me off. I'm not buying anything thats apple anymore. I'm going to stop buying music from iTunes.

OllyW
Oct 13, 2007, 08:34 AM
You know. I was thinking of getting an Ipod Touch. But seeing Al Gore on the website just ticked me off. I'm not buying anything thats apple anymore. I'm going to stop buying music from iTunes.

You'll have to get rid of any Apple stuff you've bought since 2003 (http://www.apple.com/pr/bios/gore.html), as he's been on the Apple website all that time :D

conanwar
Oct 13, 2007, 08:42 AM
There are so many scientists out there that deserver's the nobel peace prize over Al Gore. It's just not fair to them when someone who does not know the science around it and just presents the data without really understanding it and gets an award. There were errors in the movie Al presented. All that says is he didn't know the true science.

What a joke. I feel sorry for the scientist who work hard bringing out the truth only to be slapped back with this award which basically means you are not GOOD ENOUGH.

They should rename this award from "Nobel Peace Prize" to "Politician Who Steal Scientists Research Prize And Take All The Credit"

I think they should revamp on how this award is given out and how one is selected.

I just want to let apple know YOU SCREWED UP.

Maybe you can make it up by putting real scientists on your website who worked day and night that helped create your wonderful products which I feel tastes tainted.

OllyW
Oct 13, 2007, 08:42 AM
Ok, I still don't see the connection between Apple and algore. Did he formally work with Apple or does Apple just love him because he invented the internet? :D

He's a current member of the Apple Board of Directors (http://www.apple.com/pr/bios/bod.html)

.Andy
Oct 13, 2007, 08:43 AM
There are so many scientists out there that deserver's the nobel peace prize over Al Gore. It's just not fair to them when someone who does not know the science around it and just presents the data without really understanding it and gets an award. There were errors in the movie Al presented. All that says is he didn't know the true science.

What a joke. I feel sorry for the scientist who work hard bringing out the truth only to be slapped back with this award which basically means you are not GOOD ENOUGH.

They should rename this award from "Nobel Peace Prize" to "Politician Who Steal Scientists Research Prize And Take All The Credit"
Good heavens have you paid attention at all? Go back and read the first page. Al Gore is joint winner with the IPCC. He won for his contribution for his work raising awareness to climate change issues. Not for being a scientist.

Multimedia
Oct 13, 2007, 08:45 AM
Ok, I still don't see the connection between Apple and algore. Did he formally work with Apple or does Apple just love him because he invented the internet? :DAl Gore's (http://www.apple.com/pr/bios/gore.html) been a member of Apple's Board of Directors since 2003 (http://www.apple.com/pr/bios/bod.html).

tog22
Oct 13, 2007, 08:46 AM

I think they should revamp on how this award to given out and how one is selected.

I just want to let apple know YOU SCREWED UP.

Maybe you can make it up by putting real scientists on your website who worked day and night that helped create your wonderful products which I feel tastes tainted.

The award was shared with the scientists of the IPCC. But remember, this was not a science prize.

javaGuru
Oct 13, 2007, 08:47 AM
He's been a member of Apple's Board of Directors since 2003.

Ok, I wasn't aware of this. Thanks for the info.

tog22
Oct 13, 2007, 08:48 AM
Also, to all those claiming Al Gore said he invented the internet, you might want to learn about that before spouting off on it. Actually, take that as a general piece of advice.

javaGuru
Oct 13, 2007, 08:50 AM
Also, to all those claiming Al Gore said he invented the internet, you might want to learn about that before spouting off on it. Actually, take that as a general piece of advice.

Please do enlighten us to the facts surrounding what algore said.

quote from algore:
I took the initiative in creating the Internet.

He stated this on CNN's "late edition" with Wolf Blitzer March 9th 1999. Transcript can be found here (http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1999/03/09/president.2000/transcript.gore/).

.Andy
Oct 13, 2007, 08:51 AM
Please do enlighten us to the facts surrounding what algore said.
http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

javaGuru
Oct 13, 2007, 09:00 AM
Check this web site, it's quite good for looking things up ;)

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=al+gore+invented+the+internet&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

wow, you are right. Google is a good website for looking things up and I already did find his actual statement on CNN where he stated he took the initiative in creating the internet. (http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1999/03/09/president.2000/transcript.gore/) Unless Gore took this initiative in 1959 when ARPANET was created (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet#Creation)for the military I don't think he can really take any credit for the invention of the internet. Oh yeah, I also found that fact on Google.

Multimedia
Oct 13, 2007, 09:02 AM

Maybe you can make it up by putting real scientists on your website who worked day and night that helped create your wonderful products which I feel tastes tainted.According to the scientists interviewed last night on the PBS News Hour (http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/environment/july-dec07/nobel_10-12.html), they are delighted he shared the award with them. So looks like you may have misunderstood why he won it - not for being a scientist but for helping communicate their findings to the lay public so well.The award was shared with the scientists of the IPCC. But remember, this was not a science prize.

pavelbure
Oct 13, 2007, 09:17 AM
great, they honor a "environmentalist" , the same one with huge mansions and flies all over the place on his own private jet spewing carbon footprints all over the place and idiots actually follow this clown.

Fortimir
Oct 13, 2007, 09:29 AM
As it's been said before:

Personally, I believe Al Gore is a hack. But, good for him that he won a Nobel Peace Prize (whether I believe he deserves one or not)... BUT no company in their right mind should put this as THE front page feature on their site. Does it deserve a place on the site? Of course, but that's why there is a news/press release section on most corporate sites. Throw a blurb on the front page that links to the full article, sure.

I know he's on the board and all that jazz, but HONESTLY, it screams "Yep, you bet we've always catered to an extremely liberal crowd, and this is what a typical Mac user wants to see!" Because what do I think of when I think of a stereotypical Mac user? I think of a whiny leftist college kid who thinks they have all the answers and doesn't shut up about their Mac and how awesome it is to save the planet, while drinking their Starbucks... and this is just for them.

FJ218700
Oct 13, 2007, 09:39 AM
Here Al Gore is being rewarded for what - spreading LIES all over the world. What he talked about as far as global warming is nothing but LIES. He has NO evidences to support what he has been spreading. Even his MOVIE is nothing but LIES. As far as Apple having him as board member, hey that is Steve's Choice. But you know what, if Steve gets the right kind of people on the board, I bet Apple can go a lot further in their business. Apple should give credit to the REAL people that made Apple for what it is. Not Al Gore.

perhaps try reading some scientific journals. I've over 100 issues of the journal Science stacked neatly on the floor of my office that I would gladly send you.

wongulous
Oct 13, 2007, 09:41 AM
It's amazing that this gets like 800 pos/neg votes and more than 400 comments, of all of the posts on MR's front page.

MikeTheC
Oct 13, 2007, 09:45 AM
Apple shouldn't get involved in politics. It's a very unwise move for any company to make, since it by definition polarizes their present -- as well as their future -- customer base, essentially instantly alienating them.

I've known for years, of course, that Algore was on Apple's BoD. However, if Apple's going to start being a part of that man's agenda, they may well sour me on wanting to do business with them, since I have no use for the man.

And this whole thing isn't about winners of the NPP any more, it's all nothing more than politics, which is disgusting because the NPP didn't used to be for "politics". How ugly things have become indeed!

Also, why in the he** did this story make Page One news?

phillipjfry
Good for him. I never won an award for anything in my life. So he must feel really warm and fuzzy right now :)
That and don't u also win like 1 million$ too?

...whats next? they're gonna tell us hes an alien from the planet volcon?...

That's on Page 2 rumors :p

If you lived here in US you would know our politicians. They say one thing and do something else. They are the most self-centered people on earth. And thats why I said that was a load of crap.

Outside of the US, politicians are the most honest, law-abiding, beings walking the earth? :p

Fortimir
You accidentally didn't read the thread or haven't been paying attention. Al Gore is on the board of directors of Apple and has been so since 2003. You can bet your bottom dollar any commercial entity that has a Nobel Award Winner will be shouting it from the rafters. It's not just jazz it's a massive boon for the company.

...I know he's on the board [of directors] and all that jazz...

And sorry I only read the first 4 of 16 pages since it got a little boring to read. I'm sure most companies would put a 250x200 image MAX on the front page linking to the press section... NOT 1034x487.

AND their "HotNews" ticker.... has only two stories... BOTH about this.

mstrmac
Oct 13, 2007, 09:53 AM
It does not surprise me that they have Gore plastered on Apple's site.
Liberals have always misunderstood the results of their own actions.
Gore is a polarizing figure, the BOD have not the best interest of the shareholders in mind. It has been historically true.:apple:

TitoC
Oct 13, 2007, 10:01 AM
Also, unless Gore helped initiate the creation of ARPANET which was invented in 1959 I don't think he can take credit for this.

Since you are into looking up facts, try this one on for size.
(And the last quote is from Leonard Kleinrock, one of the creators of ARPANET):

Campbell-Kelly and Aspray note in Chapter 12 of their 1996 text, Computer: A History of the Information Machine, that up until the early 1990s public usage of the Internet was limited. They continue to state that the "problem of giving ordinary Americans network access had exercised Senator Al Gore since the late 1970s" leading him to develop legislation which would alleviate this problem. Gore thus began to craft the High Performance Computing and Communication Act of 1991 (commonly referred to as "The Gore Bill") after hearing the 1988 report Toward a National Research Network submitted to Congress by a group chaired by UCLA professor of computer science, Leonard Kleinrock, one of the central creators of the ARPANET (the ARPANET, first deployed by Kleinrock and others in 1969, is the predecessor of the Internet).

Indeed, Kleinrock would later credit both Gore and "The Gore Bill" as a critical moment in Internet history:

"A second development occurred around this time, namely, then-Senator Al Gore, a strong and knowledgeable proponent of the Internet, promoted legislation that resulted in President George Bush signing the High Performance Computing and Communication Act of 1991. This Act allocated $600 million for high performance computing and for the creation of the National Research and Education Network [13–14]. The NREN brought together industry, academia and government in a joint effort to accelerate the development and deployment of gigabit/sec networking."

However you want to state it, he DID: initiate, get the ball rolling, bring to the forefront, . . . however you want to state it . . . the elements of what we know as the "Internet" today possible by that bill and bringing resources and funding.

.Andy
Oct 13, 2007, 10:20 AM
They guy is a total opportunist and a hypocrite.
A total opportunist and hypocrite that has done so much good promoting awareness for environmental issues and climate change that he's been awarded a Noble Peace Prize.

.Andy
Oct 13, 2007, 10:33 AM
You're just proving my point. He's found a bunch in need of a spokesman and he stepped in.
No. Your point is a fallacy that somehow because you think he's a hypocrite that you can immediately dismiss all his work as irrelevant. Being a spokesperson and a figurehead and communicating complex issues to the public is exceedingly difficult. He's done this extraordinarily well and has been awarded the Nobel Prize because of this. It doesn't matter in your opinion what you perceive his his motivations to be.

edit: spelling.

conanwar
Oct 13, 2007, 10:48 AM
"Nor did Al Gore knew what he was approving when passing this legislation." - evidence?

(The rest of your comment seems rather irrelevant.)

This is how politicians think of the internet "series of tubes".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Series_of_tubes

law guy
Oct 13, 2007, 10:52 AM
You're just proving my point. He's found a bunch in need of a spokesman and he stepped in. I don't remember him doing a damn thing about the environment while he was in office.

Al started holding hearings on environmental issues as soon as he joined congress in Congress in 1976 after his return from Vietnam and spending some time in law school. One of his early witnesses was one of his professors from Harvard who had been tracking the increase of CO2 in the atmosphere for several years.

Al's book "Earth in the Balance" was first published in 1992. Here's an Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Earth-Balance-Ecology-Human-Spirit/dp/1594866376/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-7998212-9563110?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192289584&sr=8-1

I'm guessing a lot of folks on the board haven't seen Al's film which captures a power point that he'd been giving for years. Pick it up at Bestbuy, etc. And it's probably available for check out for free at your local library. If you don't have a library card, now is great time to get one!

Peer-reviewed science publications don't show a debate about global warming. However, media stories are often a different matter. http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/306/5702/1686

Here's a NOAA paleoclimatology link that is interesting and CO2 atmospheric concentration graph for the last 1,000 years, from the same NOAA link. http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/paleo/globalwarming/what.html The CO2 levels stay between 260 to 280 for the first 900 years and then pick up around the industrial revolution's inception and then take off in the 20th century.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/paleo/globalwarming/images/co2-v2.gif

There has been an interesting politcal component too it in some quarters, which has been unfortunate. If someone says something in that climate and you're on the other side of them on some issue, they must be incorrect. Thankfully, that's being healed in a way that hopefully takes us back to the days when the environment was Nixon's issue. Newt is out there speaking about global warming and what can be done to address it too. Perhaps he's working on a powerpoint presentation.

Sherman Homan
Oct 13, 2007, 11:14 AM
More idiots, more garbage, more rhetoric, more uninformed sheep.
Here is an "uninformed sheep":
Baaaa! Baaaaa!

http://www.smh.com.au/news/environment/gore-gets-a-cold-shoulder/2007/10/13/1191696238792.html

law guy
Oct 13, 2007, 11:17 AM
Here is an "uninformed sheep":
Baaaa! Baaaaa!

http://www.smh.com.au/news/environment/gore-gets-a-cold-shoulder/2007/10/13/1191696238792.html

And we'll be awaiting his peer-reviewed article.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4319894&postcount=446

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/paleo/globalwarming/images/co2-v2.gif

swagi
Oct 13, 2007, 12:15 PM
Umm, you're kidding right? Really??? She won for her humanitarian work. I'm not doubting Al won the award but the committee has lost sight of the point of a PEACE prize. Spreading word about man made climate change has absolutely nothing to do with Peace. It's like MVP awards - they now go to the best guy on the best team - not actually the Most Valuable Player in the league...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_Theresa

Actually the amount of hatred end envy that spreads in this whole thread convinced me:

After first reading the news, I thought to myself "What the heck has Al Gore done, to make him earn this price?". Now seeing all deniers creeping out their holes I can honestly say, Al, you earned it. If only one more stupid energy waster gets his head turned and starts leading a better, more environmental-friendly life, then the decision made sense.

And people arguing, that global warming has nothing to do with peace, here comes some reality check for you. The next wars on Planet Earth (if not inflicted by some pseudo-dictatoric regime led by the religious rights - be it Islamic or WASP) will be for Fresh Water!

Guess what will happen, when famine drops on Third World countries, when whole areas turn into desert. What will happen, when the sea leavel rises? Tovalu's highest point is 3m above sea level. So what, if their state just drowns? Aren't these reasons for war?

I for one waste a lot of electricity. I know it. But I have a contract, and my electricity is completely derived from renewable energy. That's my little piece I contribute (And yes, I pay more for it). What is yours?

flyinmac
Oct 13, 2007, 12:16 PM
When is Al Gore going to increase the battery life on my Mac? C'mon Al!

Actually, that was determined several posts back. We were enlightened to discover that Apple is simply waiting for Gore's permission.

ariza910
Oct 13, 2007, 12:27 PM
this isn't the first time Apple puts up a tribute to someone on their home page. I can remember George Harrison and Rosa Parks getting honored.

Take it easy people Apple didn't give out the noble peace prize, they just put up a web page.

nemaslov
Oct 13, 2007, 01:01 PM

I would not want to even KNOW the "customer" that this would alieeate!

Fast Shadow
Oct 13, 2007, 01:06 PM
I'm all for Al getting the congrats he definitely deserves, but I'm still a bit confused...

This year's Nobel Prize winning physicists, France's Albert Fert and Germany's Peter Gruenberg, pioneered "giant magnetoresistence" which is at the heart of today's magnetic hard drive technology. Their Nobel work accounts for the guts of nearly everything Apple makes, and they haven't received even a blip on Apple's Hot News or homepage. Seems Apple owes a lot more appreciation to those guys than good ol' Al.

FWIW

That will happen right after the tribute to Xerox PARC goes up, thanking them for all of their hard work and ideas that Steve Jobs and co. stole without credit or reimbursement.

Spritey
Oct 13, 2007, 01:18 PM
Yep, and now there is Al Gore, the man who won the Nobel Prize for Narrating a Movie!

He didn't just narrate a movie, he has made sure to put a very important cause on the agenda. Before you bash it any more, at least read WHY he was awarded it: http://nobelpeaceprize.org/eng_lau_announce2007.html and you'll see it's not for narrating a movie.

Plus, it's not like Al Gore won the award alone, it's divided between him and the International Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)

Spritey
Oct 13, 2007, 01:20 PM
I would not want to even KNOW the "customer" that this would alieeate!

Agreed. Let's alienate all the customers who don't care about the environment

Again, it not GORE THE DEMOCRAT who won the award, but GORE THE ENVIRONMENTALIST!!!

See the difference??!

chas0001
Oct 13, 2007, 01:30 PM
I think that its an absolute insult that he won. It goes to prove what money can buy you.

America is one of the most polluting countries in the world. They are also responsible for causing pollution in other countries by utilising cheap manufacturing processes. Hey, why pollute 'our' country when we can get others to pollute theirs.

What on earth has he done to repair this damage!

Devil's Refugee
Oct 13, 2007, 01:33 PM
I can't be bothered reading 20 pages of comments, so apologies if it's already been said but....

Congrats to Al Gore. Perhaps things would be different if he'd won years back and the shape of things in this future wouldn't be so precarious or focused on winning some pointless war. But then, if he'd won, he wouldn't have had the time to make such an impact with Inconvenient Truth. Has anyone invented a machine to cross into alternate realities and view the world without Bush yet ?

From the UK, sick of living in Bush's back pocket. Cheers Blair :mad:

chrisdazzo
Oct 13, 2007, 01:33 PM
*quietly* Apple changed the picture of Gore on the frontpage.

conanwar
Oct 13, 2007, 01:55 PM
*quietly* Apple changed the picture of Gore on the frontpage.

The name of the file is gorepeaceprize_hero4. How interesting. Apple thinks he is a HERO. All I see in this picture is a wannabe scientist.

http://images.apple.com/home/2007/images/gorepeaceprize_hero4_20071013.jpg

Spritey
Oct 13, 2007, 01:57 PM
I think that its an absolute insult that he won. It goes to prove what money can buy you.
------
What on earth has he done to repair this damage!

Please explain: how did money buy him this award?

What he has done to repair the damage?

Uhm let me think.... used his powers to really put global warming on the agenda together with the IPCC?

Or as the Nobel committee puts it:
" Al Gore has for a long time been one of the world’s leading environmentalist politicians. He became aware at an early stage of the climatic challenges the world is facing. His strong commitment, reflected in political activity, lectures, films and books, has strengthened the struggle against climate change. He is probably the single individual who has done most to create greater worldwide understanding of the measures that need to be adopted."

cowbellallen
Oct 13, 2007, 02:00 PM
I must have not paid attention when Al Gore got his degree in Climatology.

Eidorian
Oct 13, 2007, 02:00 PM
The name of the file is gorepeaceprize_hero4. How interesting. Apple thinks he is a HERO. All I see in this picture is a wannabe scientist.You know Apple does use the word "hero" when naming their images, right?

chrisdazzo
Oct 13, 2007, 02:03 PM
You know Apple does use the word "hero" when naming their images, right?

Haha! True, and actually, I'm thinking "hero" means (when Apple uses it) the "main" picture for what's being presented. Ok, back to Gore and "global warming".

Eidorian
Oct 13, 2007, 02:04 PM
Haha! True, and actually, I'm thinking "hero" means (when Apple uses it) the "main" picture for what's being presented. Ok, back to Gore and "global warming".Quite true. Apple PR is fond of their iMac Hero shots.

dusanv
Oct 13, 2007, 02:05 PM
The name of the file is gorepeaceprize_hero4. How interesting. Apple thinks he is a HERO. All I see in this picture is a wannabe scientist.

If Apple were to get out of religion and into computers, they'd do a lot better.

conanwar
Oct 13, 2007, 02:07 PM
You know Apple does use the word "hero" when naming their images, right?

Oops Mistake on my part. Thank you for correcting me.

Prof.
Oct 13, 2007, 02:07 PM
I'm so happy for Al Gore! He worked so hard for the last 30 year on educating us about the environment that he deserves it more than anyone. :D

AL GORE FOR PRESIDENT!

Prof. :D

Eidorian
Oct 13, 2007, 02:10 PM
Oops Mistake on my part. Thank you for correcting me.No worries.

Here are two (http://images.apple.com/pr/products/images/ref_07imac_hero.jpg) examples (http://www.apple.com/pr/products/imac/07imac_hero_agreement.html).

rjwill246
Oct 13, 2007, 02:18 PM
The new pic of Al Gore that Apple has posted is much nicer to him...

Spritey
Oct 13, 2007, 02:21 PM

Maybe it's from here

http://www.apple.com/science/profiles/andrill/

Gassy-Geek
Oct 13, 2007, 02:51 PM
I miss the iPhone complainers

sblasl
Oct 13, 2007, 04:05 PM
Looks like big Al is looking into his crystal ball.:rolleyes:

http://images.apple.com/home/2007/images/gorepeaceprize_hero4_20071013.jpg

MacFly123
Oct 13, 2007, 04:36 PM
Um..... I like talking about Macs, iPods, and iPhone more :D

jackc
Oct 13, 2007, 04:42 PM
I think Apple is talking about AI (artificial intelligence), not Al. It's a new feature in Leopard.

Naimfan
Oct 13, 2007, 04:43 PM
I'm surprised that a company honoring a member of its board for an extraordinary award is worthy of debate......

None Such
Oct 13, 2007, 04:47 PM
I think Apple is talking about AI (artificial intelligence), not Al. It's a new feature in Leopard.

same thing. :)

queshy
Oct 13, 2007, 06:19 PM
When are they gonna update the apple site already....bring on leopard! Enough al gore for now...

javaGuru
Oct 13, 2007, 06:31 PM
When are they gonna update the apple site already....bring on leopard! Enough al gore for now...

I agree with this. I'm getting tired of Gore myself. I'm getting anxious about leopard also.

Naimfan
Oct 13, 2007, 06:52 PM
And why did Al Gore win the nobel peace prize? For scaring the world into believing in something that doesn't exist?

Have you read the Nobel Prize announcement? If not, here is a link: http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/2007/

That's why.

getburl
Oct 13, 2007, 06:55 PM
Years ago when Gore joined the Apple board, I was thoroughly disappointed. I almost stopped using, recommending, and buying Apple products. I did not understand why a company would have someone who is so blatantly anti-capitalist on the board of a corporation. They placed this person who stands for the antithesis to what makes the company possible in the position to help decide the company's fate. Now, he puts his 'heart' into a message that causes daily bickering and infighting everywhere people discuss the ideas he is promoting and for this he wins a peace prize? All his message has achieved is getting more people to relinquish their freedom and force others to do the same. This road is a path to rebellion and violence. It is a power struggle and nothing more. I am terribly disappointed in Apple. I expect this kind of thing from organizations that promote self sacrifice, but not from an innovative company like Apple. As other members here have mentioned, this posting on Apple's front page might alienate current and future customers and I am one of those alienated customers. Ubuntu is looking mighty nice right about now.

Elijahg
Oct 13, 2007, 07:58 PM
:eek:the picture has changed on the homepage from the hurricane to a black and white one. Perhaps too many spotted that it was from Leopard...

jsw
Oct 13, 2007, 08:20 PM
I'm going to close this for a bit to let things calm down. I've moved the many, many, many political comments to this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=368411). I realize it was closed, cleaned up, and reopened before. Members should try to remember that news threads in particular are monitored - to the extent that our volunteer staff can do so - to ensure they stay on topic and relatively calm. This one has gone way off the deep end. Whether or not you believe in global warming, this thread is not the thread to discuss the science, lack thereof, grandstanding, lack thereof, political motivations, lack thereof, etc. of the topic.

Al Gore won a Nobel Prize. He's an Apple board member. They put him on the home page. It's OK to discuss whether or not he should be on the home page, but global warming's details are not particularly germane to this news thread, and, even more, no one will convince anyone who differs of the truth of their beliefs on this, so it will just end up with people shouting back and forth across the fence, as many of the previous pages show clearly.

jsw
Oct 13, 2007, 11:07 PM
Update: unless another moderator or administrator alters the decision, this thread is closed permanently. Clearly, there is no way to make this a non-political non-global warming thread, and it's probably unreasonable to assume it could ever have been anything but one.

I moved most posts to the political forum. I didn't do much with the first few pages because, mainly, I got tired of editing this. I didn't even bother with the banning and post deletion that should probably have accompanied many of the moved posts.

There were people with 30+ posts in this thread, and a few with posts nowhere but this thread. Most of those posts were of the political forums type. If you want to post in the PRSI forum (http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47), find a way to meet the minimum post count by contributing elsewhere on the site.

I left some posts here, and while it's debatable as to whether a given post should have stayed or been moved (or deleted), it was just too time consuming to ponder the relative merits of each post extensively. And again, for the most part, the first 100 or so were just left because I ran out of time.