Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tennismanclay

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2007
US-Texas
Why does Apple release products on Tuesdays, why do the rumors mostly say Apple is expected to release whatever next Tuesday. Why is Tuesday so important? One of my friends noticed this and asked me and well, i didnt know. I know Leopard isnt going not be released on a tuesday but like the macbook updates and imac updates and a lot of media events are always on Tuesdays, why?

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I believe it has to do with the fact that Mondays are usually quite busy in news terms, and Tuesdays are amongst the slowest of all news days in the week. This increases the odds that Apple's latest move will be announced via the news media-the equivalent of free advertising for Apple.

Again, this is just what I suspect is the reason. The answer could be something as simple as "because that's the way it's always been."

PS: Tuesday also happens to be the day movies and albums are released on DVD/CD. Perhaps similar logic is at work in those industries:confused:

byakuya

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
I think it's just cheap marketing...
I mean now everyone knows apple updates or releases stuff on Tuesdays...the store goes down for whatever reason (maintenance even) and thousands if not millions of apple sites, blogs and forums react and start guessing....
now that's good, effective and most importantly cheap marketing for you.

byakuya

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Isn't it because everything in retail gets released on a Tuesday in the US? CDs, DVDs, etc.?
I don't know about everything, but you are most certainly correct about the things you listed. Also, a Monday release means a Sunday setup. A Sunday setup, in turn, means overtime for salaried employees. A Tuesday release leaves four work days to sell product without the added expense of overtime.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I don't know about everything, but you are most certainly correct about the things you listed. Also, a Monday release means a Sunday setup. A Sunday setup, in turn, means overtime for salaried employees. A Tuesday release leaves four work days to sell product without the added expense of overtime.

add another reason is if you look at grocery stories and other stories you will noticed they always change there sales and ads on tuesday. Shipments do not get delievered to the store on Sundays which means that they would have to be delevered to the store on saturday at the latest but chances are friday would be the day. Backstock is expensive to store and it takes up a lot of room. Plus you do not want to change you adds for a weekend.

Tuesday comes down to shipments. Shipments are delievered on Monday which means it done on Tuesday. Why pay an arm and a leg for shipping.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
They usually update on Tuesday because inventory reports are usually done on the Monday before.

jon

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Because statistically less people come to work on Mondays.

Ok I'm kidding but it sounds good to me.

kymac

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2006
portland
mondays wouldnt work.. and anything released after tuesday wouldnt have as good of a chance of getting into most of the stores by that weekend.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Weekends are out...probably due to "getting the message across to everyone that something is released" being difficult (people are away, not as much media attention, etc). So assume it has to happen during the week.

People usually get paid on fridays, so releasing something on thursday wouldn't be smart, right?

They don't release anything on monday because everyone hates mondays - most people go back to work then.

Tuesday gives people a chance to buy after getting paid, and after monday.

Just my $0.02

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs

I think you're onto something although I doubt it has much to do with overtime and more to do with how busy the store is. Most retail places will sooner hire more part time help than pay an existing employee overtime since it's 1.5x the pay vs 1x the pay (or less if the full time employee has been there a long time) and no benefits to the part timer.

Weekends are the prime time shopping and the busiest time to visit any store. Sundays are even worse with the release of the Sunday ads and crowds trying to get the early deal. Mondays are probably one of the least busy days since the weekend is over and most consumers are back at their 9-5 jobs so getting retail employees something to do is easier if new stuff comes out "tomorrow."

jstad

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2007
I think its a combo of MisterMe's theory and then the addition of Tuesdays is a standard in the industry for most games, movies and music. People have come to expect a product to be released (in stores) on a tuesday. So if your like me, when someone tells me X thing comes out this week, I naturally assume it is a Tuesday release. This may be only true since I am a avid gamer and notice these trends :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.