PDA

View Full Version : My G5 stopped recognizing my La Cie Drives. What to do?

artvesta
Oct 13, 2007, 10:06 AM
Hello,

I will appreciate any help with my urgent issue.
My G5 2.0 suddenly stopped recognizing any Fire Wire hard drive connected to it.

When I plug a drive in, it (the HD) turnes on, but my computer doesn't seem to recognise it.

Just a few minutes ago everything worked OK. I tried to reboot as well as to shut my computer down for a while - nothing helped.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Art Vesta

Mase
Oct 13, 2007, 11:24 AM
damn this happened to me yesterday to im panicking. My La Cie harddisk is making some type of unfamiliar noise to. If anyone could help us it would be much appreciated:eek:

anyone???

jenkaterowse
Oct 25, 2008, 10:30 PM
My husband accidently threw the LaCie in the trash and it is not there to retrieve it back out. Anyone know how to find it???

iamcheerful
Oct 25, 2008, 11:35 PM
physical trash or the mac desktop trashbin?

as to the other few posts above, if it is very urgent, send the drives to drivesavers.

p.s. i prefer to get WD drives these days. you might want to explore other options as well.

tbae12
Oct 25, 2008, 11:51 PM
two years ago i had around 5 lacie HDs. i used them for mostly video projects and connected them firewire. after a couple months all but 1 had the same problem you do now. i called some IT people and they explained to me that lacies were crap and i shouldn't buy them. basically i lost all my videos that were stored in the hard drives because my macs won't recognize them. i say lost because eventually they stoped working completely.
i'm sure you could send them back to the company and maybe they'll fix or replace the HD but i don't know if you'll get watever files you have in them back

EchoElite
Oct 26, 2008, 12:03 AM
Yeah, LaCiEs are crap...
i've had like 5-6
my friends have had like 10-20
they all stop after a short while.
get a western digital external hard drive next time.
as for recovering the files on the lacie,
your'e pretty much screwed as far as i know..
Sorry that happened to you..

OrangeSVTguy
Oct 26, 2008, 12:29 AM
LaCie drives comes with Western Digital drives in them..... It's not the hard drive itself but maybe just the enclosure. ;)

Also disconnecting the drive while it's still mounted is also never a good idea. I hope you "eject" it before you remove any cables or power it off.

iamcheerful
Oct 26, 2008, 01:51 AM
not all are WD drives.

those that tend to fail more are the consumer drives. also Maxtor's name isn't exactly reliable either. Maxtor's brought up because i've come across many Maxtor drives in Lacie (and barebones) which have crapped out on their owners.