PDA

View Full Version : ALAC, iPod Classic & Battery Life

Exodemia
Oct 13, 2007, 03:57 PM
Hi

I'm considering getting a 80GB iPod Classic to put all my ALAC music on (once I've got Leopard and ripped all the CDs to my MacBook. Anyway I have a couple of questions. Will the battery life be significantly reduced with the decoding of ALAC files and how many songs do you think I will get roughly on an 80GB iPod classic considering that the average bitrate will probably be between 900-1000kb/s?

Exodemia
Oct 13, 2007, 07:35 PM
Can someone please reply to my questions? The answers are important as they will determine whether I go ahead with the purchase, get a 160GB iPod Classic or get neither. Thanks.

poke4christ
Oct 13, 2007, 07:40 PM
Hi

I'm considering getting a 80GB iPod Classic to put all my ALAC music on (once I've got Leopard and ripped all the CDs to my MacBook. Anyway I have a couple of questions. Will the battery life be significantly reduced with the decoding of ALAC files and how many songs do you think I will get roughly on an 80GB iPod classic considering that the average bitrate will probably be between 900-1000kb/s?

To answer the how many songs question, wouldn't it be easier to do yourself? Just encode like 5 songs or something as if you are about to put them on there and then check the file size. They you can just do some simple math. Anyway, I have no clue what you are talking about for the most part so that's it for me.

Fuchal
Oct 13, 2007, 09:36 PM
If the decoding/playback efficiency of ALAC has not improved over the 5G ipods, you are probably looking at about 10-14 hours of battery life on the 80gb and 14-18 hours of battery life on the 160. IMO quite good for playing back lossless files.

Exodemia
Oct 14, 2007, 03:58 AM
Wow that's alright. The way some guy was speaking I thought it was only a few hours! And how about my question on capacity?

Jaunty
Oct 14, 2007, 04:54 AM
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ipod/calculator/

Bobioden
Oct 14, 2007, 01:03 PM
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ipod/calculator/

Handy little calculator. Thanks for the link.

Exodemia
Oct 14, 2007, 01:50 PM
Thanks for that! I was looking for something like that. So approx. 3000 songs in ALAC for the 80GB, a bit touch and go really as I don't know how many songs I've actually got. I'm wondering if 160GB might be the safer option.

Fuchal
Oct 15, 2007, 10:33 AM
If you are dealing exclusively in ALAC, I think the 160gb is definitely the better option - more space for future expansion of your music library and better battery life, both things that ALAC makes appear tiny.

Exodemia
Oct 15, 2007, 04:44 PM
Ok. I just won an auction on eBay for a 160GB iPod Classic in Silver brand new for 195. Is this good?