Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

russellelly

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2006
Glasgow, UK
Hi,

Had my Touch for a week now and absolutely love it. I'm now looking into a way of automating the download of TV shows via Bittorent, conversion via iSquint, import to iTunes and convert the status to TV Show (from the default of movie) and preferably change the name based on some keywords and the album art.

Where should I start? I know there's AppleScript, is that capable of such a thing and is there a tutorial on the web somewhere on how to get started with it?

And please lets not turn this into a discussion on whether I should be using bittorrent - I live in the UK and there's no legal ways of getting the shows I want onto my Touch (and at all in some cases).

Thanks in advance :)

... Edited to add that I'm using OSX Tiger on an Intel machine if that makes any difference.

RossoA

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2007
Horsham, UK
Hi,

Had my Touch for a week now and absolutely love it. I'm now looking into a way of automating the download of TV shows via Bittorent, conversion via iSquint, import to iTunes and convert the status to TV Show (from the default of movie) and preferably change the name based on some keywords and the album art.

Where should I start? I know there's AppleScript, is that capable of such a thing and is there a tutorial on the web somewhere on how to get started with it?

And please lets not turn this into a discussion on whether I should be using bittorrent - I live in the UK and there's no legal ways of getting the shows I want onto my Touch (and at all in some cases).

Thanks in advance :)

... Edited to add that I'm using OSX Tiger on an Intel machine if that makes any difference.

I'm sure you could make an automator run of all this, but, you'd need the file name of what you wanted converted I think...

As I've never used Automator I dont know the specs, but I'm sure it could be done.

...or just use the iTMS for your TV Shows. The legal way is what I do, buy a US gift card off eBay, set up a US account and boom! :D

desenso

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2005
I've often thought about what it would take to achieve something like this.

AppleScript would be the only way to achieve this that I know of since Visualhub/iSquint don't come with Automator actions...

I don't use bittorrent, but as far as I know there are apps that let you subscribe to feeds of your TV show releases and auto-download them, like Ted.

As for converting & moving into iTunes, I don't have a clue... hopefully someone here can come up with some solutions..

dschiller

macrumors regular
May 7, 2007
I'd be extremely interested in a method to do this, especially if it could sync the iPod after the show's been added to iTunes and then shut the computer off.

Cheers!:)
Daniel

russellelly

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2006
Glasgow, UK
I've often thought about what it would take to achieve something like this.

AppleScript would be the only way to achieve this that I know of since Visualhub/iSquint don't come with Automator actions...

I don't use bittorrent, but as far as I know there are apps that let you subscribe to feeds of your TV show releases and auto-download them, like Ted.

As for converting & moving into iTunes, I don't have a clue... hopefully someone here can come up with some solutions..

Ted's very interesting. Investigating it now.

Almost surprised there don't seem to have been any attempts to do this before. Will need to have a look into AppleScript if that's the way to do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.