PDA

View Full Version : Standing up my powerbook

bobscliff
Oct 15, 2007, 12:12 AM
I'm trying out a new setup for my powerbook, and wanted to know if there are any reasons i shouldn't have it standing with the front up. i was thinking it might block the vent at the back of the computer or mess up the dvd drive?

FJ218700
Oct 25, 2007, 12:27 PM
the vertical DVD drive is likely fine (i.e. iMacs) but I would worry about the exhaust venting properly.

j/k/Andy
Oct 25, 2007, 12:43 PM
I use my tibook just like that, but flipped so I can use the drive. Works fine, no problems reading or burning disks.

acearchie
Oct 25, 2007, 02:43 PM
OK i tried this last week with my powerbook and conducted an experiment with the lid closed and open

Open was fine and I could perform all tasks very well

Closed was dreadful I left it overnight and the temperature (read using istat pro) was out of this world and I had to quickly shut it down before it like exploded! Ha and all I was doing was playing music with the visualizer on.

I dont know about your screen, but mine expells its warm air out the back towards the powerbook and with the extra insulation of the lid closed this completely throw it off centre.

My top tip (which is pretty simple, but not very often put into practice) is to keep as little of the laptop touching a surface as possible. Even as I type now my powerbook is tilted on a book to allow air underneath, from this I have significantly less fan usage time (saving battery and noise polution) and I can actually clarify that I get an over all cooler machine (thanks once again to iStat Pro)

Hope this helps!