Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UrsaMajor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
My uncle gave me a set 35mm Olympus cam SLR with zuiko lenses. I haven't ever purchases an SLR but I'm well aware that lenses can cost more than the body and you're locked in to a brand with them. Can I reuse these lenses or is it best to sell them and start new? I've bought Olympus Camedia and sub compacts in the past and like the their features so a DSLR would be nice to try.

I'm just a hobbyist who wants to tinker with Digital SLR so it's not a big deal one way or another. Thanks in advance.

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I don't think you would be able to use the lenses with DSLR's. I could be wrong though, but my old Olympus lenses control the aperture/shutter speed from the lens rather from within the camera. I'd imagine this would play a pretty important factor on how the lenses work.

BanjoBanker

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2006
Mt Brook, AL
shutter

I don't think you would be able to use the lenses with DSLR's. I could be wrong though, but my old Olympus lenses control the aperture/shutter speed from the lens rather from within the camera. I'd imagine this would play a pretty important factor on how the lenses work.

The shutter was not controlled through the lens. The shutter control ring was on the lens mount, separate from the lens, just close by. I still have mu OM-2 and use it occaisionally. They were great cameras.

Butthead

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006

The shutter was not controlled through the lens. The shutter control ring was on the lens mount, separate from the lens, just close by. I still have mu OM-2 and use it occaisionally. They were great cameras.

As would be the case for all older lens, and current lenses where shutter speed control has nothing to do with the lens. (sans leaf shutter on some...Hasselblad maybe?), you'd just use them a manual controlled lens, like old Nikons or Canons, like most of the manual controlled PC (shift & tilt lenses...excepting the newer manual Nikkor 85mm T/S macro that has TTL metering contacts to display aperture). But you'd have to have the same type of bayonet mount as the Olympus does now on their current dSLR lenses, that I do not know about :(.

I still have mu OM-2 and use it occaisionally. They were great cameras.
Me too, and they still ARE great cameras, now if they'd only make an OM sized version Full Frame Oly dSLR...that would be insanely great revisted (see my sig :) ).

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
You can use your old lenses on Olympus dslrs (disregard the title and scroll to the bottom), but I don't think the lenses will be very useful: you have a crop factor of 2 (a 50 mm normal lens will turn into a 100 mm-equivalent) and no AF. Just start fresh. Olympus does make some nice, small dslrs.

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
With this:

http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/E-1_dslr_8263.htm

You will be able to connect your old OM lenses to a modern Olympus DSLR body. You will be restricted to manual focus and exposure. I did my photography degree and started my working life using OM cameras and lenses. In my opinion they are some of the sharpest lenses (next to Leica lenses) that I have ever used - I was using mainly prime glass.

Why not get an Olympus DSLR body cheap off eBay, get hold of the adaptor ring and see how you get on. In time you are free to buy the new Olympus lenses when funds permit, or should you choose to go down the Canon/Nikon route, then you will not have laid out too much cash. The current Olympus cameras are great (IMO) - they continue the tradition of high quality, compact SLRs that the OM range started about 35 years ago.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
My uncle gave me a set 35mm Olympus cam SLR with zuiko lenses. I haven't ever purchases an SLR but ..

So you want to buy a DSLR for what $500? So you can save the price of a $4 roll of film? Realistically most comsumers don't ever shoot enough film to make digital "pay".

I'd say take advantage of your free camera. Shoot some film then scan the film and you are digital from that point on. Do this for at least a few months. The system you haver now is one of the est ones made and is capable of better image quality them a current model DSLR.

You may want a DSLR later but keep the film based SLR. You will not get much if you try and sell it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.