PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard on October 26th at 6pm?

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Oct 15, 2007, 05:06 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Both ThinkSecret (http://notes.thinksecret.com/secretnotes/0710leopard26note.shtml) and LoopRumors (http://www.looprumors.com/article.php?leopard-launch-october-26th-confirmed,483477157) are reporting that the October 26th date for Leopard has been "confirmed" and mostly likely at a 6 p.m. launch event on that day.

There's been no confirmation that Leopard has yet gone Gold Master, but a Gold Master candidate was released internally last week. We have heard unconfirmed tidbits that the official announcement could come as early as tomorrow.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/15/mac-os-x-10-5-leopard-on-october-26th-at-6pm/)

flopticalcube
Oct 15, 2007, 05:08 PM
Multimedia was on the money there.

Blue Velvet
Oct 15, 2007, 05:08 PM
I'm on holiday then; maybe my first Apple Store queue for a new Apple product. :)

Multimedia
Oct 15, 2007, 05:09 PM
Nothing is "Confirmed" only repeating the same old rumor I started last June. :p :eek: :confused:

I have freaking ultra anxiety syndrome over this late announcement. What made PR decide to wait so long this time round? Is Steve yanking our chain?

Eidorian
Oct 15, 2007, 05:10 PM
I want to see it across Apple.com first. :p

It's a very nice rumor though. All hands at the Apple Store.

flopticalcube
Oct 15, 2007, 05:12 PM
Nothing is "Confirmed" only repeating the same old rumor I started last June. :p :eek: :confused:

Well, you're not a Demi-God for nothing. ;)

chr1s60
Oct 15, 2007, 05:13 PM
YAY for the 26th, BOOO for 6pm. I hope the 6pm thing is wrong. I didn't like the iPhone being released at 6 and I won't like this being released then either. Just release it when you open... it's just as easy. I hope we hear something official soon.

Thertel88
Oct 15, 2007, 05:13 PM
does anyone think if i get to an apple store around 7 there will be any left?

fanbrain
Oct 15, 2007, 05:15 PM
The proof is in the pudding.

TantalizedMind
Oct 15, 2007, 05:15 PM
As a 10.3.9 user..... IT BETTER BE THIS MONTH!

ps: my comment made it to page one! yay!

DMann
Oct 15, 2007, 05:16 PM

Better to get in line Friday morning than to take a chance like that.....

offwidafairies
There is always hope

tjcampbell
I'm really excited for this. Regent Street here I come!

TantalizedMind
Oct 15, 2007, 05:17 PM

mmmm, now i love the taste of proof!

DeaconGraves
Oct 15, 2007, 05:18 PM
YAY for the 26th, BOOO for 6pm. I hope the 6pm thing is wrong. I didn't like the iPhone being released at 6 and I won't like this being released then either. Just release it when you open... it's just as easy. I hope we hear something official soon.

I guess the logic is more people won't have work conflicts at 6pm then they would have at 9-10am. At least that's why I'm happy about it.

Question: (based on past releases) would this be a staggered 6pm release across the time zones or are we looking at 6 PST?

DMann
Oct 15, 2007, 05:18 PM

I have freaking ultra anxiety syndrome over this late announcement. What made PR decide to wait so long this time round? Is Steve yanking our chain?

Better to wait than to announce a release date and have it "Vistad."

Peace
Oct 15, 2007, 05:19 PM

Actually Napoleon said "The proof of the pudding is in the taste"

But hey..It's semantics :p

6PM Tuesday countdown at Apple.com eh?

taybo20
Oct 15, 2007, 05:20 PM
I would think there would be plenty of copies of Leopard at the store. Got to remember that it is MUCH easier to produce the dvds than say the iPhones. Plus the demand is more centered on people with macs than the pda/cell phone community. I would be surprised if most stores ran out...

MAW
Oct 15, 2007, 05:21 PM
this is killing me. i may have to ammend my sig!!

i hope they announce it on apple.com tommorow so i can get my blasted imac already!!!!!

DMann
Oct 15, 2007, 05:21 PM
I guess the logic is more people won't have work conflicts at 6pm then they would have at 9-10am. At least that's why I'm happy about it.

Question: (based on past releases) would this be a staggered 6pm release across the time zones or are we looking at 6 PST?

Yes, the release will occur at 6:00 PM within respective local time zones.

Multimedia
Oct 15, 2007, 05:22 PM

Question: (based on past releases) would this be a staggered 6pm release across the time zones or are we looking at 6 PST?Staggered. It's 6PM local time so east coast gets it first. If you pre-order it you'll have it delivered by Fed-Ex Ground the day before or earlier that day.

iriejedi
Oct 15, 2007, 05:22 PM
That is my 5th Wedding Anniversary. I wonder if I could justify buying myself a gift....

My new exturnal HD is all ready waiting for 10.5... I can't wait to try it out.

any one see a problem with running 10.4 as your main system while breaking in 10.5 on an external drive? I mean testing out Apps for combatibility and avoiding installing 10.5 in the machine itself until I know my key software will work. (Adobe CS1 generation software, quicken etc...)

Thanks

IJ:)

lwcoffer2
Oct 15, 2007, 05:24 PM
As a 10.3.9 user..... IT BETTER BE THIS MONTH!

ps: my comment made it to page one! yay!
As a 10.2.8 iMac Snow 500 DV SE user...STEVE better be testing the OS!

DMann
Oct 15, 2007, 05:24 PM
I would think there would be plenty of copies of Leopard at the store. Got to remember that it is MUCH easier to produce the dvds than say the iPhones. Plus the demand is more centered on people with macs than the pda/cell phone community. I would be surprised if most stores ran out...

We were just kidding about the stores running out..........

iJawn108
Oct 15, 2007, 05:25 PM
does apple normally give away cool stuff at the stores?

MLeepson
I expect an announcement tonight.

Multimedia
As a 10.2.8 iMac Snow 500 DV SE user...STEVE better be testing the OS!You realize you could have been running Tiger all this 2.5 years at more than twice the speed you experience now? Why would you keep running Jaguar when it is common knowledge Tiger runs on the same hardware radically faster?

taybo20
Oct 15, 2007, 05:26 PM
We were just kidding about the stores running out..........

I guess the joke is on me...:p

bilbo--baggins
Oct 15, 2007, 05:26 PM
Will be interesting how many people trust Time Machine from day 1. When I got my MacBook last year I knew it had this great feature of FileVault. Then I read all the Apple forums where everyone advised not to use it for risk of losing data when it becomes corrupt. A bit pointless introducign a new useful feature if you can't trust it. I really hope Time Machine can be trusted - it's one of the most significant features for me. Not sure how I'm going to backup my stuffed full 1TB hard drive though...

irun5k
Oct 15, 2007, 05:28 PM
If you get in line for this, you're going to feel like a real tool when Apple drops the price a couple months later by 33% or so. Some people will never learn.

But hey, maybe they'll have free give aways this year. Perhaps, an outdoor thermometer that reads 5 degrees too high, with Al Gore's face on it.

madmaxmedia
Oct 15, 2007, 05:29 PM
Isn't this where someone posts that the latest Leopard build is horribly bug-ridden and nowhere close to release-ready? And then some other person refutes that and says it runs perfectly, way better and more reliable than even 10.4.100?

Anyway, I hope the gold candidate is reasonably good. ;)

GeekLawyer
Oct 15, 2007, 05:29 PM
It's times like this that I'm thankful Jacksonville finally rates having an Apple store. Who cares about the stupid superbowl?! ;)

Here, kitty-kitty!

DMann
Oct 15, 2007, 05:30 PM
Will be interesting how many people trust Time Machine from day 1. When I got my MacBook last year I knew it had this great feature of FileVault. Then I read all the Apple forums where everyone advised not to use it for risk of losing data when it becomes corrupt. A bit pointless introducign a new useful feature if you can't trust it. I really hope Time Machine can be trusted - it's one of the most significant features for me. Not sure how I'm going to backup my stuffed full 1TB hard drive though...

Been using Time Machine for over a year now -- has never failed, and has restored many-a-fragmented/lost files. Seems highly reliable

madmaxmedia
Oct 15, 2007, 05:31 PM
I imagine Time Machine should be easier to check and confirm, since they are backups. For someone who normally keeps a single backup of their hard drive, I'm sure it will be fine.

Now if you currently are running tape backups with daily snapshots and all that jazz, maybe you'll wait for 10.5.1 or 10.5.2... ;)

Blue Velvet
Oct 15, 2007, 05:31 PM
It's 6PM local time so east coast gets it first.

But we'll have it in London while you're eating your lunch... or having your second coffee of the morning. ;)

DMann
Oct 15, 2007, 05:32 PM
If you get in line for this, you're going to feel like a real tool when Apple drops the price a couple months later by 33% or so. Some people will never learn.

But hey, maybe they'll have free give aways this year. Perhaps, an outdoor thermometer that reads 5 degrees too high, with Al Gore's face on it.

Great door-prize/gift for the first 105 customers............

~J~
Oct 15, 2007, 05:33 PM
Is there any way to know if your software will work with Leopard out of the box (day 1)... other than crash-testing it yourself?? I NEED Final Cut Express HD, Aperture & a few other, not-so-significant things to work...

elppa
1 week Friday!

Apple used to release Mac OS X on a Saturday and stores would open at midnight and people would queue.

6pm is more civilised. I wonder if it will be BYO, as in bring-your-own DVD to put it on.

Under two weeks is one hell of a tight turnaround from GM -> Shops, but I am sure they will move hell and high water to make it.

MistaBungle
Geese, what is with these after-work launches? I want the product at store-opening in the morning!

minik
Oct 15, 2007, 05:34 PM

Yes.... I got dog-tag during the Panther launch and scratch card during the Tiger launch.

maclincsUK
Oct 15, 2007, 05:36 PM
So does this mean if Amazon UK let me pre order, they will ship it for the 26th? So i would get it in the morning - like I did Harry Potter?

elppa
Oct 15, 2007, 05:37 PM
Great door-prize/gift for the first 105 customers............

They're giving away cuddly toy Leopards.

So I heard.

DMann
Oct 15, 2007, 05:38 PM
Is there any way to know if your software will work with Leopard out of the box (day 1)... other than crash-testing it yourself?? I NEED Final Cut Express HD, Aperture & a few other, not-so-significant things to work...

Either clean install Leopard on an external HD and run/test apps from there, or partition your HD (after backing it up) and clean install Leopard on a partition. This is a simple task for those who installed Tiger on a partition of their internal HD -- just erase and install. If you'd rather not shell out the money, you can always wait for feedback, or Torrent first/purchase soon after......

CWallace
Oct 15, 2007, 05:38 PM
Staggered. It's 6PM local time so east coast gets it first. If you pre-order it you'll have it delivered by Fed-Ex Ground the day before or earlier that day.

I was really surprised - and pleased - when FedEx Ground dropped off my 2nd Gen Nano on a Saturday, so I plan to pre-order it, as well, since $30 of my iPhone rebate is tasked to it.

ChrisA
Oct 15, 2007, 05:39 PM

Yes, if you ask you can have a plastic bag to carry home whatever you buy. It realy is "cool" too, double layer and pearl white. The best plastic bags I've seen in any mall.

CWallace
Oct 15, 2007, 05:39 PM

I also recommend you consider doing a complete backup/image of your HD to an external unit so if it all goes wrong (or you just don't like it), then you can just restore. This is my strategy, though I expect to stay with Leopard, regardless.

Multimedia
Oct 15, 2007, 05:40 PM
Geese, what is with these after-work launches? I want the product at store-opening in the morning!Pre-Order it from Apple and you will have it delivered in the morning or the day before - Thursday.

galstaph
Lets hope this pans out... I'm really anxious for this:D

DMann
Geese, what is with these after-work launches? I want the product at store-opening in the morning!

Actually, it will be re-launched at store-opening on 10/27.....

turtlebud
Oct 15, 2007, 05:41 PM
Yes.... I got dog-tag during the Panther launch and scratch card during the Tiger launch.

me too. i prefer the scratch card over the dog tags personally - at the least, you get a free itune.

psychofreak
Oct 15, 2007, 05:41 PM
Lets hope this pans out... I'm really anxious for this:D

You're not the only one...

felixkunze
Oct 15, 2007, 05:42 PM
I'm really excited for this. Regent Street here I come!

Same here.

~J~
I also recommend you consider doing a complete backup/image of your HD to an external unit so if it all goes wrong (or you just don't like it), then you can just restore. This is my strategy, though I expect to stay with Leopard, regardless.

Son of a...!! man... im gonna have to buy another HD to install this on... not like my current 6 externals are enough (almost 2TB total)... good grief...

I'll be @ the Willow Bend (Texas) store that day...!

dborja

Apple software prices don't change...

chrisdazzo
Oct 15, 2007, 05:46 PM
I'm seriously going to run up and down my dorm hallways when Leopard is announced.

All of Colorado State University is going to hear me celebrate. :p

CWallace
Oct 15, 2007, 05:47 PM
Son of a...!! man... im gonna have to buy another HD to install this on... not like my current 6 externals are enough (almost 2TB total)... good grief...

Carbon Copy Cloner does allow you to make an "image", but I am not sure it is an actual "image" composed of a single file, which would allow you to drop it on any of your existing drives.

When it came time to try Vista, I used Acronis to image my Windows XP partition and it shrunk 45GB down to a single 15GB file I could offload to an external drive. This was handy, because I wasn't too enamored of Vista (I have since come to prefer it to XP) so I booted from the Acronis CD and restored the image and I was back in business.

If CCC - or some other Mac app - offers this functionality, then that should make it easier.

lwcoffer2
Oct 15, 2007, 05:51 PM
You realize you could have been running Tiger all this 2.5 years at more than twice the speed you experience now? Why would you keep running Jaguar when it is common knowledge Tiger runs on the same hardware radically faster?
Thats the million dollar question. About two years I started using it again...I was about to upgrade the OS but I figured I would wait till Leopard...I've been also told a number of times I couldn't go Tiger (Apple Empl., other sources).

In short: I'm lazy, cheap, and misinformed :)

I think I'm still going to hold out to see what happens with the MBP in 08

darthraige
Oct 15, 2007, 05:51 PM

Well, let's just hope you are right about the MacPros too. ;)

HailToTheVictor
Oct 15, 2007, 05:53 PM
Besides those of us on this board, average users will not be in line for Leopard. I don't think there will be a problem picking up a copy on the 26th.

!¡ V ¡!
Oct 15, 2007, 05:53 PM
Announce 10.5 already, so I can place my MBP order and have it in 3 days or less. :D

!¡ V ¡!
Oct 15, 2007, 05:54 PM
Besides those of us on this board, average users will not be in line for Leopard. I don't think there will be a problem picking up a copy on the 26th.

Spaces is what I am getting all excited about. ;)

BTW
Oct 15, 2007, 05:55 PM

They're probably hoping for that same hype, but I'm just ordering a new iMac online to avoid any lines. :D

rdowns
Oct 15, 2007, 05:56 PM
Pre-Order it from Apple and you will have it delivered in the morning or the day before - Thursday.

Tell that to the iPod touch pre-orders.

tuartboy
Oct 15, 2007, 05:56 PM
What happened to 10:15?

psychofreak
Oct 15, 2007, 05:57 PM

What about the Tiger launch? If anything there was less in that for the 'average users' than in Leopard, and the launch wasn't exactly queue-less...

diehldun
i swear this launch better not entice more people to buy MBPs on 10/27 because that will the the fourth time i've gone home since school started to try and return and replace this MBP; everytime they go they've somehow sold out.

are they going to include Leopard upgrade discs into the boxes?

Peace
What happened to 10:15?

It got bypassed by 10:30

SirOmega
Oct 15, 2007, 05:59 PM
Bah! 6PM Again? I have that day off work (Nevada Day). Oh well.

dizastor
Oct 15, 2007, 05:59 PM
Better to get in line Friday morning than to take a chance like that.....

I really doubt that the OS will sell out.

It's not a coveted piece of hardware.

darthraige
Oct 15, 2007, 06:00 PM
Can "Spaces" work with two monitors? Like, have 8 Spaces, rather than 4? Actually, no one can probably answer that yet.

Genghis Khan
Oct 15, 2007, 06:01 PM
i know the iPod Touches took ages to deliver...but will Leopard take as long if i order it on the 26th...after all..it is just a disc they have to print and ship

EDIT: i've just remembered that at 6pm on the 26th (well, the australian equivalent anyway) i'll be out celebrating end of semester :P ...ah well, leopard can wait

Multimedia
Oct 15, 2007, 06:01 PM
What about the Tiger launch? If anything there was less in that for the 'average users' than in Leopard, and the launch wasn't exactly queue-less...I got to the Palo Alto store about 2pm and was first in line. Not exactly queue full either. :p

lukechip
Oct 15, 2007, 06:02 PM
But we'll have it in London while you're eating your lunch... or having your second coffee of the morning. ;)

And here in Australia, we'll have it installed and running before y'all wake up !

Multimedia
Oct 15, 2007, 06:04 PM
i know the iPod Touches took ages to deliver...but will Leopard take as long if i order it on the 26th...after all..it is just a disc they have to print and shipThis is not like the iPod Touch at all. They are excellent at getting FedEx to deliver on the day of or even the day before launch. Why wait when you can pre-order tomorrow (I hope)?

DeaconGraves
Can "Spaces" work with two monitors? Like, have 8 Spaces, rather than 4? Actually, no one can probably answer that yet.

Judging from the Apple website, it looks like there's support for at least 6.

lukechip

Yes, someone can (and very well too I think):

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/10/11/road_to_mac_os_x_leopard_spaces.html

Multimedia
Oct 15, 2007, 06:06 PM
And here in Australia, we'll have it installed and running before y'all wake up !Damn you International Date Line!!! :eek:

Yes, someone can (and very well too I think):

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/10/11/road_to_mac_os_x_leopard_spaces.htmlYou can have 16 even 32 spaces. It's not just 4.

lukechip
Oct 15, 2007, 06:07 PM
Damn you International Date Line!!! :eek:

The knife cuts both ways though...

Here it is already 9 am Tuesday, and since Apple is now rumoured to be announcing on Tuesday, I WANT MY ANNOUNCEMENT !!!!!

Damn you International Date Line indeed !

wavelayer
Oct 15, 2007, 06:07 PM
Does anyone know if most programs that run on Tiger will be able to be run on Leopard or are we going to have to wait for updates from most software manufacturers? It's the main reason I wouldn't purchase it right away.

Peace
Oct 15, 2007, 06:08 PM
The knife cuts both ways though...

Here it is already 9 am Tuesday, and since Apple is now rumoured to be announcing on Tuesday, I WANT MY ANNOUNCEMENT !!!!!

Damn you International Date Line indeed !

That is precisely why it goes on sale 6PM Cupertino time.

breal8406
Oct 15, 2007, 06:09 PM
I'm not really waiting in any line BUT....with regards to waiting in line for Leopard. I wonder if people line up at the store at 1 Infinite Loop? I go to school near there so that's probably where I'll go. Seems less likley to be busy.

Genghis Khan
Oct 15, 2007, 06:09 PM
This is not like the iPod Touch at all. They are excellent at getting FedEx to deliver on the day of or even the day before launch. Why wait when you can pre-order tomorrow (I hope)?

i hope as well...but do you think steve will want to announce it himself? or just let apple.com do the work?

And here in Australia, we'll have it installed and running before y'all wake up !

the international dateline makes no difference to delivery times...if they're shipped from china, then we'll get it first by 12 hours or so...but that's only if we can preorder:p

also i suspect...if apple let the first copies go at 6pm on the 26th, australia certainly won't see any until probably the iPhone:p

Multimedia
Oct 15, 2007, 06:10 PM
Does anyone know if most programs that run on Tiger will be able to be run on Leopard or are we going to have to wait for updates from most software manufacturers? It's the main reason I wouldn't purchase it right away.Almost everything will run perfectly. Most publishers have already given you updates that have been tested with pre-releases of Leopard. Many even tell you the new version is Leopard compatible. We're still running the same version of Microsoft Office 2004 as well as the first MS Office for X that runs on 10.1, Jaguar and Panther and Tiger. Guess what? Those same versions will run on Leopard as well.

OllyW
Oct 15, 2007, 06:11 PM
What about the Tiger launch? If anything there was less in that for the 'average users' than in Leopard, and the launch wasn't exactly queue-less...

Tiger launch day was also the grand opening of the Bullring store in Birmingham (http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/bullring/gallery/grandopening.html). Now that was a big queue :eek:

Not that it bothered me, I was right at the head of the queue :)

pknz
Oct 15, 2007, 06:12 PM
Well, let's just hope you are right about the MacPros too. ;)

Yeah he's been dead wrong there.

Chupa Chupa
Oct 15, 2007, 06:12 PM
1 week Friday!

Apple used to release Mac OS X on a Saturday and stores would open at midnight and people would queue.

6pm is more civilised. I wonder if it will be BYO, as in bring-your-own DVD to put it on.

Under two weeks is one hell of a tight turnaround from GM -> Shops, but I am sure they will move hell and high water to make it.

That was pre-Apple Store era. Since the Apple Stores have opened OS X has always been released on a Friday @ 6pm. The stores are always jammed packed and I avoid like nothing else. I bought 10.2 @ MicroCenter. No line or wait at all. I pre-ordered 10.3 and 10.4 and Apple upgraded ground shipping to 2Day and got them hours before the store launch. That is def. the way to go I think. Unless you are just dying for key tags.

displaced
Oct 15, 2007, 06:13 PM
Right... Plan formulating...

Leave work 5.30... no, sod that, leave work at 5pm...

Zoom to the train station... 5.15pm

Train to Charing Cross... 5.40pm

Tube to Piccadilly Circus... 5.55pm (bah! make that Oxford Circus... tho' I think I can run faster than the Tube at times - the TFL journey planner's suggesting ominous 'Scheduled Maintenance Works'...)

Leg it to the Regent Street Apple Store... 6pm!

That's the plan, Stan.

[edit: might see some familiar MR faces up there, crowd-density permitting!]

Peace
Oct 15, 2007, 06:13 PM
On major O/S releases like Leopard Apple will ship it overnight FedEx regardless of the method you choose on check-out at the Apple store.

And I can almost guarantee you 3 large duplication factories have been stamping this since last Saturday.

JSpence
Oct 15, 2007, 06:17 PM
I'm seriously going to run up and down my dorm hallways when Leopard is announced.

All of Colorado State University is going to hear me celebrate. :p

Funny. I know for a fact that the University of Central Florida will hear me run around when it's announced as well.

crossifixio
Oct 15, 2007, 06:18 PM
Oh please god let it be and I promise I will be your humble servant till 10.6 is released :D :apple:

chris200x9
Oct 15, 2007, 06:19 PM
ok here is my question....could I just give my student I.D to my dad and have him pick it up for me at six and get a discount, or do I personally need to go?

Multimedia
Oct 15, 2007, 06:21 PM
That was pre-Apple Store era. Since the Apple Stores have opened OS X has always been released on a Friday @ 6pm. The stores are always jammed packed and I avoid like nothing else. I bought 10.2 @ MicroCenter. No line or wait at all. I pre-ordered 10.3 and 10.4 and Apple upgraded ground shipping to 2Day and got them hours before the store launch. That is def. the way to go I think. Unless you are just dying for key tags.I take delivery Friday Morning, install and drive the 44 miles to the Palo Alto store in time to be first in line early Friday afternoon. I go for the party not to buy anything. Plus I can learn how to use it from all the others in line who also already have it installed. It's Palo Alto tradition. Then Steve shows up to say hi to all the employees and the TV crews.

psychofreak
Oct 15, 2007, 06:22 PM
Right... Plan formulating...

Leave work 5.30... no, sod that, leave work at 5pm...

Zoom to the train station... 5.15pm

Train to Charing Cross... 5.40pm

Tube to Piccadilly Circus... 5.55pm

Leg it to the Regent Street Apple Store... 6pm!

That's the plan, Stan.

[edit: might see some familiar MR faces up there, crowd-density permitting!]
I'll leave at 4, be in a train by 4.10, at Green Park at 4.25, at Oxford circus at 4.30, and at Regent Street's store by 4.35 :)

My trusty 3G iPod should keep me through the queue, and hopefully I'll get a friend or two to come along with me...

Multimedia
Oct 15, 2007, 06:24 PM
ok here is my question....could I just give my student I.D to my dad and have him pick it up for me at six and get a discount, or do I personally need to go?Pre-Order Educational Rate at the online store. I am in education. So I do that. Just go to the Ed Store and order. It will be delivered early Friday by FedEx overnight even though you ask for free ground.

Education discounts are unavailable in apple retail stores.

ghall
Oct 15, 2007, 06:25 PM
We will get an official announcement tomorrow. I am almost completely sure. :)

pknz
Oct 15, 2007, 06:26 PM
Pre-Order Educational Rate at the online store. That's what I do. You don't need an ID. Just go to the Ed Store and order. It will be delivered early Friday by FedEx overnight even though you ask for free ground.

You are in education I assume?

Multimedia
Oct 15, 2007, 06:27 PM
You are in education I assume?Yes. Federal Express alerts all their employees this is going to happen next Thursday-Friday. They build up a queue of packages at the local level all over the world and when the time comes they load up the trucks from that built up local inventory of packages and deliver on time the 26th and in some cases the 25th.

Wayfarer
Oct 15, 2007, 06:27 PM
Ironically, I had a dream last night that I was using Leopard.

The iCal icon read the following date... (without being open :eek:) October 26!! ;)

mrkramer
Oct 15, 2007, 06:29 PM
Do Apple stores only get it first? I won't be able to make it down to the Apple store at that time, but I could make it to a Fry's if they would have it then.

janey
Oct 15, 2007, 06:31 PM
Pre-Order Educational Rate at the online store. That's what I do. You don't need an ID. Just go to the Ed Store and order. It will be delivered early Friday by FedEx overnight even though you ask for free ground.

The more helpful answer is that education discounts are unavailable in apple retail stores.

Multimedia
Oct 15, 2007, 06:32 PM
Do Apple stores only get it first? I won't be able to make it down to the Apple store at that time, but I could make it to a Fry's if they would have it then.And why would you not pre-order it with free delivery Friday morning? :eek::confused:

GeekLawyer
Oct 15, 2007, 06:32 PM
The more helpful answer is that education discounts are unavailable in apple retail stores.

Huh? Is that software only? I've gotten hardware with ed discount at Apple retail...

Multimedia
Oct 15, 2007, 06:34 PM
but I want a rumored cuddley leopard......It's my first OS upgrade and I kinda wanna have the leopard as a keepsake......kinda hokey I know but yea....:cool:I see your point now. Can you get to a store? Call and ask this week if your Dad can show your ID to get your copy at the educational price.

mrkramer
Oct 15, 2007, 06:34 PM
Huh? Is that software only? I've gotten hardware with ed discount at Apple retail...

yes it is software only, they will give hardware discounts in the store.

queshy
Oct 15, 2007, 06:35 PM
*bows down to Multimedia*

janey
Oct 15, 2007, 06:36 PM

That would be mis-information. They are.

Software education discounts have never been available in apple retail stores. Feel free to call them up and ask.

On the flip side, they are available for hardware.

kresh

6PM Tuesday countdown at Apple.com eh?

Wow, I can't believe Napoleon said that wrong. Silly Frenchman, he should have known the proof is in the pudding. :eek:

GeekLawyer
yes it is software only, they will give hardware discounts in the store.

Wow. You learn something new everyday. That makes absolutely no sense though.

Doesn't affect me, I haven't been a student for a while. But still...

zioxide
Oct 15, 2007, 06:37 PM
To clarify, education discounts are only available on hardware at Apple Retail Stores. The only place to get the edu discount on software is the online store.

Multimedia: I really hope you're a teacher/professor/etc and not just using the education discount because they don't check... If not, that's not cool. Don't try to abuse the system: it's just going to end up ****ing over the real students (like myself) who need the discount because they're poor. If you can afford 6 monitors and 2 mac pros, you can afford the extra 50 bucks for leopard. (or pay for ADC to get the discount)

diehldun
Oct 15, 2007, 06:39 PM
Quite frankly, I don't see the surprise. If anything, I'm expecting a lot of people to be abusing the system. At least I know many (I'm a student myself) who aren't and make a point of telling others to do the same.

I did remember hearing someone at the Apple Store telling me about this (edu discount not applicable to software). I think you have to order online? Regardless, I hope they'll bundle Leopard upgrade discs in the boxes by Saturday morning.

mrkramer
Oct 15, 2007, 06:39 PM
That makes absolutely no sense though.

I think that their reasoning is that the hardware you get is exactally the same as anyone else gets without the discount, but most of the software has a different EULA that restricts commercial work, so they want to send that to you.

psychofreak
Oct 15, 2007, 06:40 PM
To clarify, education discounts are only available on hardware at Apple Retail Stores. The only place to get the edu discount on software is the online store.
Then maybe I won't go to the launch...

janey
Oct 15, 2007, 06:42 PM
(or pay for ADC to get the discount)
On a sidenote, I don't think there's an ADC discount for Leopard. However, ADC paid memberships include the latest OS (and in some cases, seeds). Soo there ya go :)

twoodcc
Oct 15, 2007, 06:42 PM
alright. now all we need is this displayed on apple's website tomorrow

The Flashing Fi
Oct 15, 2007, 06:43 PM
At my school, they sell all of the Apple software at the school store with the educational discount.

Also, does this mean that on the 26th is when I can buy a laptop and get the free upgrade to Mac OS X Leopard? When can I buy a MBP and get the free upgrade to Leopard?

RichP
Oct 15, 2007, 06:44 PM
*bows down to Multimedia*

For what? Saying apple would release 10.5 on the last friday of october? It would have been impressive if he said it was to be released on the 19th and it was released on the 19th.

And, in concert with others, I hope the EDU discount is not being abused around here. I'm no longer a student, Ill pay retail like everyone else.

tilman
Oct 15, 2007, 06:45 PM
I guess the joke is on me...:p

Not really. I bought the last iLife '08 Family pack at the Santa Clara Valley Fair store on the day it came out, and they had already run out of the single-user license.

janey
Oct 15, 2007, 06:46 PM
At my school, they sell all of the Apple software at the school store with the educational discount.

Also, does this mean that on the 26th is when I can buy a laptop and get the free upgrade to Mac OS X Leopard? When can I buy a MBP and get the free upgrade to Leopard?

I'm not sure if it will be free, but you should have some upgrade path to Leopard..if not free, at a small cost.

As for the software edu discount, I was talking about apple retail, not campus stores. You can get the discounts from your school or online, just not in person at one of the various apple stores.

mrweirdo
Oct 15, 2007, 06:46 PM
this whole edu discount thing Is confusing as hell when it comes to the retail stores.

Personally I have asked our local Apple store 3 times about edu discounts just for the hell of it and got a different answer every time. Also asked at the genius bar once and not one of them knew if they offered edu discounts on hardware.

looks like I'll be ordering online..that reminds me I need to get my student id updated from summer to fall :P

taybo20
Oct 15, 2007, 06:47 PM
I didn't even think about the education discount. I'm glad I'm still a student. Hopefully there is a discount that I can take advantage of.

Freg3000
Oct 15, 2007, 06:47 PM
Yes. Federal Express alerts all their employees this is going to happen next Thursday-Friday. They build up a queue of packages at the local level all over the world and when the time comes they load up the trucks from that built up local inventory of packages and deliver on time the 26th and in some cases the 25th.

It all sounds well and good, until it doesn't work. I ordered Tiger the day it was announced, yet it was not delivered until the following Monday. And I live on Long Island, New York, not deep in the mountains somewhere.

I have been hating FedEx ever since. UPS ++.

NoOneButMe
Oct 15, 2007, 06:49 PM
I see your point now. Can you get to a store? Call and ask this week if your Dad can show your ID to get your copy at the educational price.
When i went to the Apple store to buy my MacBook Pro, i had to show my College ID, and they scanned it into some machine. So, uh, yeah. Show your College ID. Or schedule + something else to show you're accepted (If you're a student) If you're a teacher/staff, there's other ways to show you do what you do.

I have a valid current educational ID. What do you mean? Just because I'm thinking of joining ADC doesn't mean I'm not going to buy a copy this week.
I've not see you ever say you're in college / a teacher / work at a school. So by that i mean "I'm under the impression that, given the 2 quad core mac's in your sig, you do something with them professionally" and dont just drool over them.

If you had looked at his next post you would have seen that he is in education.
Wait? I'm supposed to be able to predict future posts before they're made when posting my own post? Some requirement to be able to post on MR - being psychic.

thebassoonist
Oct 15, 2007, 06:49 PM

I'm going to make a date out of it! :)

mrweirdo
Oct 15, 2007, 06:51 PM
I have been hating FedEx ever since. UPS ++.

eh around here in the suburbs of sacramento ups is horrible. Sometimes they dont even bother to show up at when a package is supposed to be delivered according to the tracking or if they do its at 11pm at night. I guess its up to how lucky you are at any given moment lol

queshy
Oct 15, 2007, 06:51 PM
For what? Saying apple would release 10.5 on the last friday of october? It would have been impressive if he said it was to be released on the 19th and it was released on the 19th.

And, in concert with others, I hope the EDU discount is not being abused around here. I'm no longer a student, Ill pay retail like everyone else.

He also got the time right! That's impressive. Don't be jealous :)

taybo20
Oct 15, 2007, 06:52 PM
Just for clarification, this is direct from the Apple Education Online Store:

The above purchases can be made either online, through an Apple Retail Store, or through your Apple Authorized Campus Store. Total product quantities remain the same regardless of where your purchase is made. The Apple Software purchases above are only available through the online Apple Store for Education or through your Apple Authorized Campus Store.

limecat
Oct 15, 2007, 06:53 PM
You are in education I assume?

Yes. Federal Express alerts all their employees this is going to happen next Thursday-Friday. They build up a queue of packages at the local level all over the world and when the time comes they load up the trucks from that built up local inventory of packages and deliver on time the 26th and in some cases the 25th.

Am I out of the loop of some secret Macrumors code or does anyone else not see an answer in there?

Lyra
Oct 15, 2007, 06:53 PM
For once this delay and über-hype has called me to not really care about the release at all...

I'm not saying I won't buy the OS and be excited when I install it, but now and when I have to pay for it, open it and put it into my macs... well I'm not really exited at all...

But when the Splash screen appears, the mesmerizing feeling will either be so overwhelming that I'll start getting exciting and then it'll slowly sink in... making me appreciate it and hope that the bugs left in it won't be too bad.

Other than that, I've had too many disappointments with the MacBook Pro, iPod Touch and other Apple Products this year.. so... if this can dazzle me?

That's going to be a groovy day for me... that's all I can hope for...

10 days and well see how the people will react...

I for one... Am still waiting for my 'working' iPod Touch, see I really loved that little thing... too bad it was retarded.

nvbrit
Oct 15, 2007, 06:54 PM
I know there has been a lot of concern about how they could get it to GM and then to retail in such a short time but has anyone considered that Apple could be feeding a whole bunch of mis-information to throw people off, and right now the DVDs could be in a pressing plant being prepared and packaged all ready for release well before the 26th!

janey
Oct 15, 2007, 06:55 PM
I know there has been a lot of concern about how they could go from GM to retail in such a short time but has anyone considered that Apple could be feeding a whole bunch of mis-information to throw people off, and right now the DVDs could be in a pressing plant being prepared and packaged all ready for release well before the 26th!

GM to retail in a short time? Err...it doesn't take forever to press, package and ship a bunch of DVDs. In fact that is the very idea of GM..being ready to be sent off to go through all that to get it out to customers.

RichP
Oct 15, 2007, 06:56 PM
He also got the time right! That's impressive. Don't be jealous :)

Yeah, the same time Tiger was released: 6PM EST. :rolleyes:

Loudwater
I really hope they release the new MacBook on the same day, or at least announce a release date. I've been waiting for Leopard for my new MacBook. I'll be so pissed if the new MB is available a couple of weeks after I purchase mine.
Maybe I shall just wait into one or two weeks in November... it's just been too long... :(

cuestakid
where can college students get pre-orders with educational pricing? Or is this not possible and I need to just till it comes out and go and get it?

nvbrit
Oct 15, 2007, 06:57 PM
GM to retail in a short time? Err...it doesn't take forever to press, package and ship a bunch of DVDs. In fact that is the very idea of GM..being ready to be sent off to go through all that to get it out to customers.

I edited my post, I meant get it to GM and then to retail in such a short time... my point was that maybe it already is at GM and is on it's way to being pressed

janey
Oct 15, 2007, 06:58 PM
where can college students get pre-orders with educational pricing? Or is this not possible and I need to just till it comes out and go and get it?
http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/routingpage.html

Lyra
Oct 15, 2007, 06:58 PM
I know there has been a lot of concern about how they could go from GM to retail in such a short time but has anyone considered that Apple could be feeding a whole bunch of mis-information to throw people off, and right now the DVDs could be in a pressing plant being prepared and packaged all ready for release well before the 26th!

Not this time...

Otherwise the misinformation would have been the biggest in the history of misinformation at Apple when they postponed Leopard back in April to October...

Nope...

People at Apple right now are burning the midnight oil and families are very tense and the mood at Apple these days aren't as happy as they once were...

They just ran out of time...

They'll fix it with an update to 10.5.1 within a month

queshy
Oct 15, 2007, 06:59 PM
Yeah, the same time Tiger was released: 6PM EST. :rolleyes:

With all the rumors surrounding different release dates, you wouldn't agree multimedia was spot on?

Peace
Oct 15, 2007, 06:59 PM
I edited my post, I meant get it to GM and then to retail in such a short time... my point was that maybe it already is at GM and is on it's way to being pressed

Welcome to MacRumors btw :)

You do read other discussions here right? ;)

nvbrit
Oct 15, 2007, 07:01 PM
Welcome to MacRumors btw :)

You do read other discussions here right? ;)

Thanks, yes I've read some of the other discussions, and have been reading for a while before I decided to join so I could add my two pennys worth!

RossoA
Oct 15, 2007, 07:02 PM
Will there really be a huge queue at Regent's store?

I hate that being my nearest Apple Store - it's such a trek and it's bound to be the most popular.

nvbrit
Oct 15, 2007, 07:02 PM
With all the rumors surrounding different release dates, you wouldn't agree multimedia was spot on?

maybe we are all spot on :eek:

nvbrit
Oct 15, 2007, 07:06 PM
I have to say.... I have been a PC user (meaing Windows PC) since the early 80s and until recently have been an avid Microsoft fan. I switched to a Mac very recently, the end of July this year having never used a Mac in my life. I am incredibly impressed with Mac's and blown away with OS X and it just occurred to me that I was NEVER this excited about any new OS release from Microsoft!!

Mac OS X Ocelot
Oct 15, 2007, 07:07 PM

Preorder it. That way it comes to your house the day of release.

ogee
Oct 15, 2007, 07:13 PM

I doubt it. I expect he said something in French :p

nvbrit
Oct 15, 2007, 07:13 PM
Preorder it. That way it comes to your house the day of release.

Pre-order it the day after it's released, that way you'll be sure to have it the day it's released!

michaelsviews
Oct 15, 2007, 07:17 PM
Pre-order it the day after it's released, that way you'll be sure to have it the day it's released!

My local apple store said 2 weeks ago when I went in a iPhone issue to come back on the 26th, of the month at 6 and after and pick up the new OS.

n-abounds
Oct 15, 2007, 07:18 PM
I am incredibly impressed with Mac's and blown away with OS X and it just occurred to me that I was NEVER this excited about any new OS release from Microsoft!!

Welcome to the RDF.
:D

hmmfe
Oct 15, 2007, 07:19 PM

I'm not sure what Napoleon said or did not say, but the phrase "The proof of the pudding is in the eating" dates back to at least the 17th century (i.e. well before Napoleon) in Le Lutrin. Some think that the phase was in use in the 1400's but there in not firm proof (no pun intended).

Veri
Oct 15, 2007, 07:22 PM
There are some posts higher up suggesting that paying education price for OS X requires you to use it for educational purposes. I see no evidence of this, merely that you have to be a student/teacher to be eligible to pay those prices. The aim, as I saw it, was to provide a lower bar to entry to the Apple platform for up-and-coming earners, and to encourage its adoption in education, not to apply an artificial restriction in exchange for lower price.

Otherwise, I'd have to pay full price just because I write the occasional e-mail concerning money-making activity, and my entire OS install would become unlicensed upon graduation.

Can anyone correct me?

(Not that this is really a legal issue, except where extra terms provided after exchange of consideration are considered legally binding, or where I have missed some smallprint provided to me before sale. But it's interesting to know what Apple would prefer.)

BornAgainMac
Oct 15, 2007, 07:22 PM
I expect long lines in many malls for it and outside going around the block for other stores and people asking "What is this line for?". I love it. This will be good for Apple compared to the almost non-existent lines for Microsoft Vista. It will make the Wii and Xbox 360 lines pale in comparsion.

Mac OS X Ocelot
Oct 15, 2007, 07:23 PM
I'm not sure what Napoleon said or did not say, but the phrase "The proof of the pudding is in the eating" dates back to at least the 17th century (i.e. well before Napoleon) in Le Lutrin. Some think that the phase was in use in the 1400's but there in not firm proof (no pun intended).

Try 1300!

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-pro1.htm

Peace
Oct 15, 2007, 07:27 PM

Try 1300!

I give!!

It's still semantics though :p

La preuve du boudin est dans le goût

hmmfe
Oct 15, 2007, 07:27 PM
Try 1300!

Yeah, but again there is not firm proof. The reference to Cervantes is also not proven as the original text does not include the work pudding and seems to be added in a later English translation of Don Quixote

nvbrit
Oct 15, 2007, 07:31 PM
Yeah, but again there is not firm proof. The reference to Cervantes is also not proven as the original text does not include the work pudding and seems to be added in a later English translation of Don Quixote

maybe to find some firm proof we must look in the pudding.............

HLdan

You gotta get in the fun, it's party time at 6PM. That's why Apple releases their good stuff at night.

p0intblank
I can't believe it is finally almost here. I remember watching the WWDC keynote and thinking "October is so far away!" :p

pooryou
Oct 15, 2007, 07:33 PM
I will buy Leopard when they release a computer preinstalled with it that is worth buying, like new desktop Macs.

flopticalcube
Oct 15, 2007, 07:39 PM
You gotta get in the fun, it's party time at 6PM. That's why Apple releases their good stuff at night.

Don't forget to bring some pudding...as proof.

Multimedia
Oct 15, 2007, 07:39 PM
I will buy Leopard when they release a computer preinstalled with it that is worth buying, like new desktop Macs.When you buy a Mac next Weekend they give you a free retail copy of Leopard.

saxman
Oct 15, 2007, 07:40 PM
Ready to order edu pricing online tomorrow or Wednesday hopefully

timswim78
Oct 15, 2007, 07:43 PM
When you buy a Mac next Weekend they give you a free retail copy of Leopard.

Interesting. Did Apple offer the same promotion with Tiger?

twoodcc
Oct 15, 2007, 07:46 PM

yeah i think they did

RichP
Oct 15, 2007, 07:46 PM

If you buy a machine in the period of time after the announcement, but before it is released, you get a "free" copy of Leopard (although sometimes they charge you a handling fee).

twoodcc
Oct 15, 2007, 07:47 PM
If you buy a machine in the period of time after the announcement, but before it is released, you get a "free" copy of Leopard (although sometimes they charge you a handling fee).

that is correct. and yes they do charge for shipping, or they did before

darthraige
Oct 15, 2007, 07:50 PM
Hopefully, its already pre-installed on the new update MacPros that will arrive with it. (Yea, that's right, I am assuming new MacPros will be released too. Probably won't happen either. :confused:)

twoodcc
Oct 15, 2007, 07:56 PM
Hopefully, its already pre-installed on the new update MacPros that will arrive with it. (Yea, that's right, I am assuming new MacPros will be released too. Probably won't happen either. :confused:)

well they are clearly due for it

thadoggfather
Oct 15, 2007, 07:57 PM
When you buy a Mac next Weekend they give you a free retail copy of Leopard.

would they do this at an apple retail store too? or just applestore online?

DeaconGraves
Oct 15, 2007, 08:03 PM
There are some posts higher up suggesting that paying education price for OS X requires you to use it for educational purposes. I see no evidence of this, merely that you have to be a student/teacher to be eligible to pay those prices. The aim, as I saw it, was to provide a lower bar to entry to the Apple platform for up-and-coming earners, and to encourage its adoption in education, not to apply an artificial restriction in exchange for lower price.

Otherwise, I'd have to pay full price just because I write the occasional e-mail concerning money-making activity, and my entire OS install would become unlicensed upon graduation.

Can anyone correct me?

(Not that this is really a legal issue, except where extra terms provided after exchange of consideration are considered legally binding, or where I have missed some smallprint provided to me before sale. But it's interesting to know what Apple would prefer.)

I think you're reading into "edcational purposes" too much. As far as I know you won't lose your license upon graduation.

Don't have actually any proof except that I had to sign some waivers when I bought some Microsoft software (Office and Vista) through my school. I believe the only way I'd lose the license would be if I let school with graduating. Otherwise, the license becomes a standard one upon graduation.

I would assume that Apple's education policy is not much different (or probalby less seeing as that they charge less for their software and don't drastically reduce the price as much as Microsoft does for edu purposes).

vassillios
Oct 15, 2007, 08:05 PM

Final Cut works, Aperture works, Logic works, CS3 works......

Multimedia
Oct 15, 2007, 08:07 PM
would they do this at an apple retail store too? or just applestore online?At the brick & mortar stores. You get the new Leopard retail box and everything.

thadoggfather
Oct 15, 2007, 08:11 PM
awesome. so from 26th 6pm onward, if you get a new machine and it doesnt come with leopard, they give it to you for free (no questions asked), correct?

Multimedia
Oct 15, 2007, 08:12 PM
awesome. so from 26th 6pm onward, if you get a new machine and it doesnt come with leopard, they give it to you for free (no questions asked), correct?You are correct Sir Dog Dad. :p
2640 Hennepin Avenue South Minneapolis, MN 55408 | tel: 612-374-8000 (http://www.firsttech.com/)

Thertel88
Oct 15, 2007, 08:13 PM
if i order thursday night when will i get it? or order of friday morning?

twoodcc
Oct 15, 2007, 08:15 PM
awesome. so from 26th 6pm onward, if you get a new machine and it doesnt come with leopard, they give it to you for free (no questions asked), correct?

you are correct.

thadoggfather
Oct 15, 2007, 08:16 PM
how long do you think it will be until machines come loaded with leopard?

queshy
Oct 15, 2007, 08:18 PM
I think new Macs will be released on the day leopard comes out...perhaps just some speed bumps- nothing too drastic as it would steal the spotlight (no pun intended...) from leopard. We'll have to wait and see though...

psychofreak
Oct 15, 2007, 08:18 PM
how long do you think it will be until machines come loaded with leopard?

The day its released...

Martin C
Oct 15, 2007, 08:19 PM
I'm trying to figure out what time I should arrive at the 5th Avenue NYC store so that I don't find a huge line there. I think a big line is inevitable as that store is always crowded anyways. Oh well.

thadoggfather
Oct 15, 2007, 08:21 PM
The day its released...

Really? brick and mortar stores will be stocked with new computers that already have it loaded on there?

Multimedia
Oct 15, 2007, 08:23 PM
I'm trying to figure out what time I should arrive at the 5th Avenue NYC store so that I don't find a huge line there. I think a big line is inevitable as that store is always crowded anyways. Oh well.I think the queue should be gone by 9-10PM.

twoodcc
Oct 15, 2007, 08:24 PM
I'm trying to figure out what time I should arrive at the 5th Avenue NYC store so that I don't find a huge line there. I think a big line is inevitable as that store is always crowded anyways. Oh well.

yeah there will be a line there. good luck

Really? brick and mortar stores will be stocked with new computers that already have it loaded on there?

they might. they will still have boxes with tiger too though, but will give you a leopard disk with it

Multimedia
Oct 15, 2007, 08:25 PM
Really? brick and mortar stores will be stocked with new computers that already have it loaded on there?NO. They give you a copy of the retail box on the first few days. Online orders get a drop in install DVD but not the box. Then once all the Tiger installs are sold that way, they move on to the pre-installed versions which may take a few weeks to evolve into.

Loudwater
Oct 15, 2007, 08:25 PM
I think new Macs will be released on the day leopard comes out...perhaps just some speed bumps- nothing too drastic as it would steal the spotlight (no pun intended...) from leopard. We'll have to wait and see though...

I really hope so... for my new MacBook. Don't want to buy a "new" one and the "newer" one (upgrade) comes out only a few weeks later. Is there a period I can return MB for full refund (or just for an exchange for the upgraded machine)? lol

twoodcc
Oct 15, 2007, 08:26 PM
I really hope so... for my new MacBook. Don't want to buy a "new" one and the "newer" one (upgrade) comes out only a few weeks later. Is there a period I can return MB for full refund (or just for an exchange for the upgraded machine)? lol

you have 14 days to return it, but there's a restocking fee

psychofreak
Oct 15, 2007, 08:26 PM
Is there a period I can return MB for full refund (or just for an exchange for the upgraded machine)? lol

If you give it back in 14 days, you have to pay a 10% restocking fee, but thats all :)

thadoggfather
Oct 15, 2007, 08:27 PM
here's my dilemma. i had a white macbook that died out of warranty in september and had to get a new laptop immediately for school. i ended up getting a black macbook, but now i dont really take my laptop many places besides my desk and around my building, so i've been thinking about giving the black macbook to my father and getting a 15" mbp... and if i got 15" mbp, i'd get it on or after 26th so i get leopard with it for free...

gotta think about this one. either way, i'll probably have leopard in my little hands after its released.

twoodcc
Oct 15, 2007, 08:28 PM
here's my dilemma. i had a white macbook that died out of warranty in september and had to get a new laptop immediately for school. i ended up getting a black macbook, but now i dont really take my laptop many places besides my desk and around my building, so i've been thinking about giving the black macbook to my father and getting a 15" mbp... and if i got 15" mbp, i'd get it on or after 26th so i get leopard with it for free...

gotta think about this one. either way, i'll probably have leopard in my little hands after its released.

not a bad plan :)

Chupa Chupa
Oct 15, 2007, 08:29 PM

If history is any guide, no. That will take a week or two. I remember with 10.4 if you bought the CPU during the release weekend @ the AppleStore you got a free retail copy w/ purchase. After that you'd get a "upgrade" copy in a plain white envelope if 10.4 wasn't already packed into the CPU box. If you bought a an Apple Reseller you had to order via the "up-to-date" program.

thadoggfather
Oct 15, 2007, 08:34 PM
in the past, have they sold out of latest version of OS X when it's first released?

twoodcc
Oct 15, 2007, 08:35 PM
in the past, have they sold out of latest version of OS X when it's first released?

i'm not sure, but i doubt it

Loudwater
Oct 15, 2007, 08:36 PM
you have 14 days to return it, but there's a restocking fee

If you give it back in 14 days, you have to pay a 10% restocking fee, but thats all :)

Thanks, guys! Guess I'll wait, at least, into the first week of November to see what happens... 10% is still big money for a poor student. :S

Multimedia
Oct 15, 2007, 08:36 PM
in the past, have they sold out of latest version of OS X when it's first released?No.

twoodcc
Oct 15, 2007, 08:38 PM
Thanks, guys! Guess I'll wait, at least, into the first week of November to see what happens... 10% is still big money for a poor student. :S

yeah, waiting would be the smart thing to do.

Martin C
Oct 15, 2007, 08:38 PM
I think the queue should be gone by 9-10PM.
Surely they will have remaining copies at that point, correct?

yeah there will be a line there. good luck

Thanks, I hope I don't have to wait too long.

twoodcc
Oct 15, 2007, 08:39 PM
Surely they will have remaining copies at that point, correct?

Thanks, I hope I don't have to wait too long.

yeah, go in there at 10pm

psychofreak
Oct 15, 2007, 08:40 PM
People are forgetting that Apple's marketshare has increased hugely when they guess what the queues will be like based on Tiger's launch...

Multimedia
Oct 15, 2007, 08:40 PM
Surely they will have remaining copies at that point, correct?Yeah. They'll have plenty. Have fun.

twoodcc
Oct 15, 2007, 08:41 PM
People are forgetting that Apple's marketshare has increased hugely when they guess what the queues will be like based on Tiger's launch...

i agree. there will be tons of people trying to get it

thadoggfather
Oct 15, 2007, 08:42 PM
in the past, has it been easy to register os x with more than one machine?

Taylor C
Oct 15, 2007, 08:43 PM
I'm planning to get there early and get in line. Yes, that's right. I'm getting in line. For an operating system launch.
:apple:

DeaconGraves
Oct 15, 2007, 08:43 PM

But some of that added marketshare came from windows users who saw the Vista early adoption fiasco.

Not that Leopard will be anything like that, but hopefully it'll scare enough people off to get my copy. :D

Martin C
Oct 15, 2007, 08:44 PM
Thanks for your help guys. I'll hop down the circular staircase to fetch my copy of Leopard at 10 PM.

mangoman
Oct 15, 2007, 08:45 PM
Here's one Demi-God that's not gonna play Early Adopter. Hard enough trying to walk around in here and not slip on all the tears when the iPhone prices dropped. :rolleyes:

DeaconGraves
Oct 15, 2007, 08:45 PM
Here's one Demi-God that's not gonna play Early Adopter. Hard enough trying to walk around in here and not slip on all the tears when the iPhone prices dropped. :rolleyes:

I thought Apple didn't reduce software prices...

twoodcc
Oct 15, 2007, 08:46 PM
in the past, has it been easy to register os x with more than one machine?

are you getting the family pack?

Thanks for your help guys. I'll hop down the circular staircase to fetch my copy of Leopard at 10 PM.

yep. :) have fun and good luck ;)

lukechip
Oct 15, 2007, 08:47 PM

From the Tiger Press Release (and same type of words in Panther, Jaguar):

The standard Mac OS Up-To-Date upgrade package is available to all customers who purchase a qualifying new Mac system from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller on or after April 12 for a shipping and handling fee of $9.95 (US).

stovetop
Oct 15, 2007, 08:47 PM

Accually they are. I have bought apple software and an iMac 24" there just recently. I've bought applecare and a mighty mouse also. Maybe it's different by you but I know I've done it.

Martin C
Oct 15, 2007, 08:49 PM
I thought Apple didn't reduce software prices...
I think that they reduced the price of Aperture a while back.

twoodcc
Oct 15, 2007, 08:50 PM
Accually they are. I have bought apple software and an iMac 24" there just recently. I've bought applecare and a mighty mouse also. Maybe it's different by you but I know I've done it.

yes you do get the edu discount at the retail apple store

psychofreak
Oct 15, 2007, 08:50 PM
I think that they reduced the price of Aperture a while back.

And Logic more recently...

Bigsam411
Oct 15, 2007, 08:51 PM
I work in the computer dept at one of the Best Buys that carries Apple (Novi MI) and we should be getting them in the day its released according to our Apple rep. If it is indeed being released on the 26th then I wil be there. I wonder if we will even get very busy at all for the launch especially since we have an apple store 10-20 minutes away.

This should be ten times more interesting than the windows vista launch which flopped (I still get customers who wont buy vista computers)

Lets just hope I can use leopard to convert more windows users than I already have.:apple::apple::apple:

twoodcc
Oct 15, 2007, 08:54 PM
I work in the computer dept at one of the Best Buys that carries Apple (Novi MI) and we should be getting them in the day its released according to our Apple rep. If it is indeed being released on the 26th then I wil be there. I wonder if we will even get very busy at all for the launch especially since we have an apple store 10-20 minutes away.

This should be ten times more interesting than the windows vista launch which flopped (I still get customers who wont buy vista computers)

Lets just hope I can use leopard to convert more windows users than I already have.:apple::apple::apple:

i can't imagine there would be a ton of people at Best Buy for an apple party....but you never know

Martin C
Oct 15, 2007, 09:00 PM

Seeing as Best Buy doesn't sell many Apple items, all of the people up to date on the Mac world will go to the Apple store.

twoodcc
Oct 15, 2007, 09:02 PM
Seeing as Best Buy doesn't sell many Apple items, all of the people up to date on the Mac world will go to the Apple store.

i agree. they'll probably go to the apple store

Grease2310
Oct 15, 2007, 09:03 PM
Alright so I have a few questions new here be gentle, I'm going to be in the Orlando area on the 26th but I come from Canada, keep that in mind while answering these questions please:

1. What do I need to get an Edu Discount in store? My student ID? Will a Canadian one work?

2. If I were to walk into the Apple store (either Orlando location) after 6pm on the 26th and buy an iMac would it come with Leopard or would I have to buy it seperately on the spot?

3. Which Orlando location is likely to be less busy Millenia or Florida Mall?

Thanks in advance for the help guys, can't wait to replace my aging original model G4 Mac Mini.

Bigsam411
Oct 15, 2007, 09:04 PM
i can't imagine there would be a ton of people at Best Buy for an apple party....but you never know

Yeah but my area is full of Apple users, and my store is on one of the top two busiest intersections in the state. Now assuming we have generated enough buzz around the Apple Shop within a shop (It seems as though we have) we should at least get a fairly big queue going around 6 that night. Time will only tell.

twoodcc
Oct 15, 2007, 09:05 PM
Alright so I have a few questions new here be gentle, I'm going to be in the Orlando area on the 26th but I come from Canada, keep that in mind while answering these questions please:

1. What do I need to get an Edu Discount in store? My student ID? Will a Canadian one work?

2. If I were to walk into the Apple store (either Orlando location) after 6pm on the 26th and buy an iMac would it come with Leopard or would I have to buy it seperately on the spot?

Thanks in advance for the help guys, can't wait to replace my aging original model G4 Mac Mini.

1. you should just need your student ID, but i'm not sure

2. you would get leopard for free, but not in the box with the computer. in other words, they give you a leopard box for free with the computer

Yeah but my area is full of Apple users, and my store is on one of the top two busiest intersections in the state. Now assuming we have generated enough buzz around the Apple Shop within a shop (It seems as though we have) we should at least get a fairly big queue going around 6 that night. Time will only tell.

well then, maybe you will have a ton of people.

Grease2310
Oct 15, 2007, 09:08 PM
1. you should just need your student ID, but i'm not sure

2. you would get leopard for free, but not in the box with the computer. in other words, they give you a leopard box for free with the computer

Thanks thats exactly what I wanted to know. If I can't get my Edu discount who cares, it'd just be a nice bonus. My birthday is on the 23rd so the iMac and subsequently Leopard is my b-day gift to myself.

If anyone has used the Edu discount in store do they run your student ID through some sort of computer? If not I suspect my Canadian one should be fine.

queshy
Oct 15, 2007, 09:10 PM

Alright I know the answer for #1...apple doesn't give edu discounts on software in their stores, it's online only. I found out when I tried to go and purchase iLife in the apple retail store.

twoodcc
Thanks thats exactly what I wanted to know. If I can't get my Edu discount who cares, it'd just be a nice bonus. My birthday is on the 23rd so the iMac and subsequently Leopard is my b-day gift to myself.

If anyone has used the Edu discount in store do they run your student ID through some sort of computer? If not I suspect my Canadian one should be fine.

they dont really run your student ID, or at least they didn't for me

Bigsam411

As I have seen with the release of iLife 08 Apple just opens the box of the all the computers, slips the disc in and reseals the box with apple certified tape. That is done until the Computers ship with the os in the box or is preinstalled.

twoodcc
Oct 15, 2007, 09:11 PM
Alright I know the answer for #1...apple doesn't give edu discounts on software in their stores, it's online only. I found out when I tried to go and purchase iLife in the apple retail store.

i got 10% off in my store

Grease2310
Oct 15, 2007, 09:13 PM

Hardware... iMac

they dont really run your student ID, or at least they didn't for me

yay, so it should work a-ok.

Last question do all Apple Stores traditionally stay open till midnight launch night like Infinate Loop suggests?

twoodcc
Oct 15, 2007, 09:15 PM
As I have seen with the release of iLife 08 Apple just opens the box of the all the computers, slips the disc in and reseals the box with apple certified tape. That is done until the Computers ship with the os in the box or is preinstalled.

thanks for the info. i didn't know that

Hardware... iMac

yay, so it should work a-ok.

Last question do all Apple Stores traditionally stay open till midnight launch night like Infinate Loop suggests?

i'm not sure. i hope so though

Grease2310
Oct 15, 2007, 09:18 PM
i'm not sure. i hope so though

Me too I have dinner plans at 6:15 that night, hoping to get out of them, but if not hoping to get to the Apple Store right after and still have a chance at grabbing an iMac with Leopard, anyone think it's possible without getting out of dinner??

phillipjfry
Oct 15, 2007, 09:18 PM
I hope to see some peeps at my local keystone crossing store. Maybe we could hook up and gush over stuff together? :confused:

Pre-Order it from Apple and you will have it delivered in the morning or the day before - Thursday.

How do you preorder Leopard? Or do I have to wait till they actually announce it, and from the website it will let you preorder??

Peace
Oct 15, 2007, 09:20 PM
Normally when Apple announces the new O/S on their homepage you can click on a pre-order link.

Multimedia
Oct 15, 2007, 09:21 PM
How do you preorder Leopard? Or do I have to wait till they actually announce it, and from the website it will let you preorder??That's right.

irun5k
Oct 15, 2007, 09:23 PM
How do you preorder Leopard? Or do I have to wait till they actually announce it, and from the website it will let you preorder??

You can pre-order from Amazon right now, or after it is announced you can order from the Apple online store as you suspected.

I think I did an Amazon pre-order on Tiger and if I recall, they also shipped it early to arrive on the release day. Which makes sense, they are a huge online retailer. Wouldn't be at all surprised if they're the second biggest seller of Leopard.

Amdahl
Oct 15, 2007, 09:26 PM
That is my 5th Wedding Anniversary. I wonder if I could justify buying myself a gift....

My new exturnal HD is all ready waiting for 10.5... I can't wait to try it out.

any one see a problem with running 10.4 as your main system while breaking in 10.5 on an external drive? I mean testing out Apps for combatibility and avoiding installing 10.5 in the machine itself until I know my key software will work. (Adobe CS1 generation software, quicken etc...)

Thanks

IJ:)

You might have problem with dueling Spotlight versions each time you reboot. Disable it in one OS or the other.

thadoggfather
Oct 15, 2007, 09:31 PM
what happens if you try to use os x with more than one computer on a single license? i assume all mac computers come with disks for single license.

is there anything to prevent this? or is it just frowned upon?

Spikeanator6982
Oct 15, 2007, 09:33 PM
I personally..think/hope that a keynote is annouced tommorow for next tuesday and leopard and new mac pros are released next tuesday. :)

appleguy
Oct 15, 2007, 09:33 PM

And we will have it here in New Zealand the same time London is waking up

psychofreak
Oct 15, 2007, 09:34 PM
is there anything to prevent this? or is it just frowned upon?

It is against the EULA, but at least with Tiger there are no physical restrictions...you're just hurting a company that is selling you an OS at a great price...

iAlan
Oct 15, 2007, 09:41 PM
It's 6PM local time so east coast gets it first.

And Tokyo will have it while London is having their second coffee of the morning and the US are all sleeping snugly dreaming of kitties...

thadoggfather
Oct 15, 2007, 09:42 PM
It is against the EULA, but at least with Tiger there are no physical restrictions...you're just hurting a company that is selling you an OS at a great price...

I was just curious. Always gotten my OS's legitimately (mac ones at least..)

Vista, hah. Pay for it, joke. Keep it on my Dell box, even more of a joke.

mklos
Oct 15, 2007, 09:45 PM

Can anyone correct me?

The educational version isn't any different from the copy you can pick up in an Apple Retail Store. Its the same exact thing, just at a discounted price. You do not have to use it for educational purposes. Apple just rewards you for either being in education as a administrator, staff, or faculty member, or as a student progressing your education.

Its yours and yours forever. It never expires, even when you leave the educational institution for whatever reason. Like, I said, its the same exact copy as if you went to an Apple Retail Store and paid full price. There's no special license or anything. Apple isn't Microsoft!

In all honesty, Apple really never checks if you really are in education, or at least I've never been asked and when I was in College, they were never asked if I was a student and I used the discount all the time. Except in an Apple Retail Store, I've never heard or seen them check. Maybe they've changed their ways since I was in College (2003 Graduate). I wouldn't encourage anyone to abuse this in any way. Its just not fair to Apple. They don't have to give anyone a discount if they really don't want to. I was just stating what I've seen and heard in the past.

nvbrit
Oct 15, 2007, 10:23 PM

Is a consumer user, not a business user, really going to pay for a multi license version of ANY OS to install on say their own laptop and desktop at home? I believe the answer would be in the vast majority of cases.... no!

xFU3Lx
Oct 15, 2007, 10:31 PM
I'll for damn sure be there. I won a 15" Powerbook at the Tiger release:cool:

jackc
Oct 15, 2007, 10:36 PM
Where the fook is the countdown?

JSpence
Oct 15, 2007, 10:36 PM

3. Dude, I'm in O-Town too. I'm over at UCF and for every launch ( Halo 3, etc..) I go to Millenia. It's faster from 408 and I-4 than going to Florida mall, and less tolls ( I used to work at Florida Mall ).

dornoforpyros
Oct 15, 2007, 10:37 PM
am I the only one who's skeptical of them getting DVD's pressed, boxes printed/packaged and shipped out in less than 9 business days? Granted I can't remember how soon tiger shipped after being declared GM, but still, this seems rather fast.

nvbrit
Oct 15, 2007, 10:37 PM
Where the fook is the countdown?

its not tomorrow yet

jazzsingh
Oct 15, 2007, 10:41 PM
You can preorder a copy on amazon.com, and they are offering $20 off through 10/31/07 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FK88JK/104-5879186-2121535?ie=UTF8&tag=endorseblog-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=1789&creativeASIN=B000FK88JK>)

NightStorm
Oct 15, 2007, 10:44 PM
am I the only one who's skeptical of them getting DVD's pressed, boxes printed/packaged and shipped out in less than 9 business days? Granted I can't remember how soon tiger shipped after being declared GM, but still, this seems rather fast.
I'd wager they have the boxes printed and ready to go, just waiting to drop the DVD in before shipping. At least I hope so... :)

jackc
Oct 15, 2007, 10:44 PM
You can preorder a copy on amazon.com, and they are offering $20 off through 10/31/07 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FK88JK/104-5879186-2121535?ie=UTF8&tag=endorseblog-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=1789&creativeASIN=B000FK88JK>)

Isn't that if you buy Parallels with it?

Peace
Oct 15, 2007, 10:47 PM

That's only if you order Parallels along with Leopard.

seashellz2
Oct 15, 2007, 10:53 PM
Fat chance-its a given that retail outlets NEED to get product at least a day or 2 before street date, for various reasons.

GM to duplicators (who are probably up to their asses pressing Movie & Music DVDs/CDs for the Holidays.

So, 10.5 in stores in just 9 days from GM-ASSUMING there even is one.

dunno

LMO
Oct 15, 2007, 10:54 PM
That's only if you buy Parallels at the same time. Onsale.com (http://www.onsale.com/shop/detail~dpno~7260697~descr~Apple-Mac+OS+X+v10.5+Leopard+-+Single+User.aspx) has a $20 rebate on just Leopard, although feedback for onsale.com isn't that good.

Grease2310
Oct 15, 2007, 10:57 PM
3. Dude, I'm in O-Town too. I'm over at UCF and for every launch ( Halo 3, etc..) I go to Millenia. It's faster from 408 and I-4 than going to Florida mall, and less tolls ( I used to work at Florida Mall ).

You going opening night? If so I'll try and see you there, not knowing anyone from the area (just going on vacation) I never thought I'd say I might meet up with someone at the launch.