PDA

View Full Version : Apple Officially Announces Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

MacRumors
Oct 16, 2007, 07:37 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Today Apple announced that Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) will go on sale on Friday, October 26th at 6 p.m. at Apple retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers. Apple's online store (http://store.apple.com) will start accepting pre-orders as of today.
"Leopard, the sixth major release of Mac OS X, is the best upgrade we've
ever released," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "And everyone gets the
'Ultimate' version, packed with all the new innovative features, for just
$129."

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/16/apple-officially-announces-mac-os-x-10-5-leopard/)

pasito
Oct 16, 2007, 07:38 AM
I just saw the store come back up. WOOOTTTTT

MacinDoc
Oct 16, 2007, 07:38 AM
Well, so much for the nay-sayers who claimed it wouldn't happen in October.

WRXHokie
Oct 16, 2007, 07:39 AM
Time to buy!!

zub3qin
Apple has a new OS coming out?

bananas
Mac OS X Leopard arrives October 26. Pre-order now.

here it comes!

iZaid
just saw it now at the apple US store, on the 26th there is a mac expo in london, will it be on sale then?:eek::confused:

SpaceMagic
Oct 16, 2007, 07:40 AM
Took their time :p

Cool... placing order now :)

thadoggfather
i thought they would announce it today, good stuff :D

suneohair
Goodbye student discount... $116. Wow. What is going on with Apple and the EDU discounts?

azdude
Fan*tastic*. Education price went up from $69 to $116.

*orders anyway. :/

macfan881
Well, so much for the nay-sayers who claimed it wouldn't happen in October.

and who were those? anyway glad its coming out soon cant wait :D

Warbrain
Oct 16, 2007, 07:41 AM
Education discount is lame now. I remember when it was 79 dollars, now it's 116. Only 13 off the actual price...

OllyW
£4 cheaper than Tiger!

Bargain...:)

AdeFowler
Thank goodness for that... off to pre-order a family pack.

Deej
Hurrah!!! :)

So now the debate is whether to pre-order Online, or queue to buy it from a store - which one will get me Leopard sooner??!!

DeaconGraves
Education discount is now only $116.

I kinda understood the price hike for iWork (extra program and all), but this is stupid.

croasmun
Oct 16, 2007, 07:42 AM
The EDU discount is currently listed at $116 (compared to $129); I seem to remember it being much better for previous upgrades ($79?)... wow, that will really change adoption rates for students...

Edit: just checked, the EDU price for Tiger was $69 according to this review (http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2404).

randallisation
Oct 16, 2007, 07:43 AM
YAY, Finally, just pre-ordered a Family pack for my Macs at home!

WannaGoMac
Any idea if there is a free upgrade on new Macs as of today??

In Sams World
When do you think iMacs and Macbooks will get shipped with this?

jaw04005
Oct 16, 2007, 07:44 AM
Well they took the opportunity to increase their education pricing of the O/S all the way up to $116 from $69. That's ridiculous. :mad:

stoid

I kinda understood the price hike for iWork (extra program and all), but this is stupid.

I was ready to shotgun purchase it at $69, but now to find it's unexpectedly higher (and more than that magic $100 threshold) it's going to be a lot harder for me to justify purchasing it.

JayBee
Any word on whether they'll be doing the usual "up to date" scheme for Macs bought from today till they start shipping preloaded?

TheChillPill
How nice of Apple to out a £20 ($40) premium on top for UK customers :(

koobcamuk
Nice to see it's in the UK store too. Maybe the £20 premium will mean that it fully edible. Now I have my iPhone though, I can wait as long as Apple want... toys toys toys...

Digitalclips
My Leopard family pack is ordered. Delivery with free shipping is October 26th :D

zyuzin4
disappointed in the EDU pricing as well. =\

B2O
Oct 16, 2007, 07:45 AM
Has anyone heard how far back Apple will back date free Leopard updates? ie. When was the earliest date you could buy a new machine and get this update free of charge?

cervaro
Any news on how much the upgrade will cost if you've bought a Mac recently, and if so, when that date is? (or do we assume that's today?) Asking as I bought a MacBook Pro 2 weeks ago.

WannaGoMac
Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard and its 300-plus new features and innovations are coming Oct. 26, 2007.

If you buy a qualifying Mac between October 1, 2007 and December 29, 2007, and it does not include Mac OS X Leopard, you’re eligible to get Leopard after it’s released for just $9.95 plus tax.

How to get Leopard
Click here for more information.

Still waiting, why deal with hastle of installing Leopard and paying $9.95 upgrade fee.

mwp98223

I agree, what a happened? When iLife 08 and iWork 08 came out I expected a big Education discount...it was only $8. I was excited about the new operating system, expecting to pay $69...now it is $116. What gives????

theyoda3
As a college student I'm actually disappointed. They increased the education price from $69 to $116. They keep cutting the discount. First the iPods, now this. Maybe my school will offer it for less anyways.

edit: beaten to it.

BlueRevolution
I don't know if the requirements had been officially released before, but:

Minimum System Requirements

• Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 (867MHz or faster) processor
• 512MB of physical RAM
• DVD drive for installation

I guess the iBook I just bought off eBay will be stuck at Tiger, then.

rsoerensen
Been looking forward to this...

Prices in the Danish apple store are 999 DKK = 190 dollars...
Guess it's the dollar that's low + cheaper mac prices in the US in general

suneohair
Well they took the opportunity to increase their education pricing of the O/S all the way up to $116 from $69. That's ridiculous. :mad:

Glad I went with the Student ADC :) $99 bucks and a fat hardware discount!

thies
Oct 16, 2007, 07:46 AM
:confused: Missing an annoucement for updated hardware.

cooknwitha
LAME!!!

I was expecting a far more significant announcement.

;) Just wanted to get the obligatory whinge in there.

Stang68
ugh...edu discount...jeez. I thought $79. Oh well. How many of you are going to wait to adopt Leopard until '08?

miniConvert
Hurrah! Though I get the impression that upgrading my business is going to cost an arm and a leg... best wait for a few months before doing that anyway me thinks.

Definitely want to get copies for my MBP and mini though... hmm, want to pre-order... will sleep on it I think.

But yes hurrah! Our new OS has arrived! I know Leopard has always been a certainty, but it's nice to finally be heading into the next chapter, y'know?

Pleasantly surprised by the 'early' launch, too :D

NightStorm

Maybe they realized that a lot of people were taking advantage of the education discounts who weren't really eligible. That would be my guess anyways.

Maybe someone should organize a class action lawsuit on this... ;)

fastbite
Finally!!! Let's hope they put some heavy advertising behind this one.

Marcjcd
Oct 16, 2007, 07:47 AM
Can we assume that an iPhone update could be coming that day as well?

Chaszmyr
There are two reasons that they keep reducing the student discount:
1. Non-students routinely take advantage of the discount.
2. Apple's marketshare among students has been rising rapidly

Warbrain
ugh...edu discount...jeez. I thought $79. Oh well. How many of you are going to wait to adopt Leopard until '08?

I'm sure as hell waiting until I can afford it because the education discount isn't even worth it.

cervaro
Oct 16, 2007, 07:48 AM
Still waiting, why deal with hastle of installing Leopard and paying $9.95 upgrade fee.

I'm happy because that means I can have a cheap upgrade for the MBP that I saved £300 off list in the first place, and wait to install the upgrade until I've heard how stable it is too. :)

Warbrain
Oct 16, 2007, 07:48 AM

Part of me is actually thinking that maybe they're pushing a price increase on the students because of the delay, which would drive up development costs. Students just see it more because it was so ridiculously priced originally.

suneohair
Oct 16, 2007, 07:49 AM

This is very true. Thank to the jerks for taking away our discount.. you know the people who actually need it. The people who doing it all claim it won't hurt anyone. Wrong....

Also of note, Leopard Server is ready for Oct. 26th as well!

Prof.
Oct 16, 2007, 07:50 AM
Check this out!

http://www.apple.com/macosx/

Prof. :D

Stang68
I'm sure as hell waiting until I can afford it because the education discount isn't even worth it.

actually, I meant how many are going to wait to adopt it because it is a new OS? You know, with bugs and stuff.

stoid
Apple's marketshare among students has been rising rapidly

Sounds like a music industry tactic. "Yay, we're selling millions of tracks online everyday, to celebrate our success let's jack up the price (and scare our new customers off)"

Soverc
Oct 16, 2007, 07:51 AM

suneohair
Sounds like a music industry tactic. "Yay, we're selling millions of tracks online everyday, to celebrate our success let's jack up the price (and scare our new customers off)"

Well, they wouldn't scare off new customers. Considering they probably didn't know it was so cheap before...

thadoggfather
yeah the discount (of $3) is a joke...

shoelessone
I was ready to shotgun purchase it at $69, but now to find it's unexpectedly higher (and more than that magic $100 threshold) it's going to be a lot harder for me to justify purchasing it.

Yep, same here, I'm pretty disapointed.

That's twice as much as I was planning on spending, (well, almost), and instead I think I'll purchase the ATH-ANC7 noise canceling headphones I've been wanting for a while.

Which is sad really, because I'd rather have Leopard, but I can't justify being an early adopter for that price. DISCLAIMER: I think it's a fair price, just not what I'm willing to pay for it at this point.

igazza
Oct 16, 2007, 07:54 AM
awesome day i had a feeling :apple:

welshy1812
Family pack pre ordered :)

£129 is a bargain in my eyes.

SPUY767
I posted this eariler under the bogus heading, "Apple Store Down, PowerBOok G5's this Tuesday."

soup4you2
here's a link to a page with a short description of all 300 new features.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/300.html

some of these i had no idea were in leopard.

metoo6000
So... this is the Leopard. Jobs mentioned "Top secret" in Leopard when he presented but seems there is NO secret functions revealed.

I don't think any major secret functions will be revealed with minor updates (.x) so I should call him liar.

I am a typical Mac fanboy but recent Apple's movement (including iPhone contract) doesn't make me feel happy... :(

jaw04005
Oct 16, 2007, 07:55 AM
It's amazing that they didn't even update the front page of Apple.com. Compared to all they hype they generated with the previous releases, Leopard's marketing campaign is non-existent.

I guess it's the "new" Apple. :apple:

Edit: Nevermind, they just updated it. I feel a little better now.

taybo20
Oct 16, 2007, 07:55 AM
mine is already pre-ordered!!!!!:D:D

Voidness
Oct 16, 2007, 07:56 AM
You underestimate the development costs of incorporating correct English spelling, like "colour" instead of "color" :p

RRK
I pre-ordered a family pack and added on another aluminum keyboard for my wife at work. :)

crzdmniac
Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard and its 300-plus new features and innovations are coming Oct. 26, 2007.

If you buy a qualifying Mac between October 1, 2007 and December 29, 2007, and it does not include Mac OS X Leopard, you’re eligible to get Leopard after it’s released for just $9.95 plus tax.

How to get Leopard

Where did you see this info? I got my mac on October 8th...

jasonpoon
Photo Booth requires an iSight camera (built-in or external), USB video class (UVC) camera, or FireWire DV camcorder; and an Intel or PowerPC G5 processor. Backdrop effects require an Intel Core Duo or faster processor. Backdrop effects when using a DV camcorder require fixed focus, exposure, and white balance.

OK, my PowerBook G4 just misses two new features. I was expecting every machine with the Leopard could get the Photo Booth...and no Backdrop effect...:(

Anyway, hope to get it on the release day

atszyman

I would agree with the first point, but the second is an even better reason to keep the student discount down under $100.

I have often advocated that for home users and students, especially for students, that OS and software vendors should offer their tools for massive discounts if not free for non-profit/educational use. If you think about it, all of those students will eventually enter the workforce and put pressure on their employers to use the tools that they are familiar with. This also goes for home users but they are harder to keep track of and keep on the non-profit use list. The cheaper the software is for students and the more students who use it and become familiar with it means more pressure on employers to adopt those tools in the future. A cheap OSX for students could pay off in years to come as people enter the workforce and push employers to adopt OSX.

twoodcc
alright! finally! they took awhile to announce, but at least they came through. now i just have to decide on whether i should pre-order or not

boss1

How to get Leopard

OK, so I take it the new mac mini I bought on Sep 29 doesn't qualify? :eek: ... I should have waited 2 days before I bought :::sigh:::

Jaybot
Oct 16, 2007, 07:58 AM
Do you HAVE to get the family pack to install on more than 1 machine? When I bought Tiger I was able to install on my tower and iBook (which I thought was very cool of apple to not hassle us about).

Do you think that would still work?

Nick012
Ooooh! £9.80 reduction! Makes paying all this money for uni REALLY worth it. Still, Leopard is gonna be awesome.
http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/9297/picture2wi4.th.png (http://img522.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture2wi4.png)

xUKHCx
Goodbye student discount... $116. Wow. What is going on with Apple and the EDU discounts?

Jhe UK EDU discount is still there, same as Leopard £58.75

bowens
I checked this site earlier and there was still speculation. I just went to the Apple store and "October 26." Looks like I was a little late though. I'll be getting a new Macbook when I start my new job at the beginning of November. Woohoo!

suneohair
Oct 16, 2007, 08:00 AM
Jhe UK EDU discount is still there, same as Leopard £58.75

There is a discount, but it used to be $69 in the US, it is now $116...

Rodimus Prime
Just wow on the edu price. It is a safe bet that pirating of Leopard are going to sky rocket.

Apple is taking adatage of students because they know students are most likely to want to be on the cutting edge so they are going after the easy money from people who can not afford it. It looks like apple is trying to phase out the edu pricing slowly. Well Apple looks like M$ is going to go back to kicking you rear in the edu world.

Spanky Deluxe
Do people in the UK get it before the US? I'm sure in the past its been 6pm local time that Apple have released products for sale. It looks like I'll be missing my Friday afternoon seminar next week! :p

It does suck about the lack of decent student discount. I guess it might be because such a disproportionate amount of their sales go to students these days that they want to make up some of the money they discount students with the amazing higher education deals.

StealthRider
Oct 16, 2007, 08:01 AM
Federal govt. price is $107 - I'm all in favor :)

SPUY767
Oct 16, 2007, 08:02 AM

I agree. Sadly, I have been one of said non-students for quite some time now. Although, my last mac I purchased while I was in school, but the school was not on apple's list of schools, so I just said that I was still attending my old school which was on the list.

Warbrain
Oct 16, 2007, 08:03 AM
Just wow on the edu price. It is a safe bet that pirating of Leopard are going to sky rocket.

Apple is taking adatage of students because they know students are most likely to want to be on the cutting edge so they are going after the easy money from people who can not afford it. It looks like apple is trying to phase out the edu pricing slowly. Well Apple looks like M$ is going to go back to kicking you rear in the edu world.

Read my mind on the pirating part. I've had the thought run through my mind. There is no way in hell that I can afford it. I'm hoping that the department I work in at my university gets a copy of it that I can use...

But yea, there is no way I can afford Leopard at 116 dollars when I already have to pay for school, books, insurance...

cervaro
Any links to the order page for those of us who've recently bought a Mac to get Leopard at the reduced price?

bgalizio
Definitely LAME on the edu price increase. Should we start e-mailing Steve?

amac4me
Oct 16, 2007, 08:04 AM
Bring it on!!! October 26 can't get here fast enought ;)

MacSA
Oct 16, 2007, 08:05 AM
Students whining about the Educational price? Don't most of them spend more than that per week on drugs and alcohol?

Grease2310
So who thinks I'll have any problem at all walking into an Apple Store after 6pm (not lining up) on the 26th and leaving with a brand new iMac w/Leopard in the box, though not pre-installed? Would I be better off (to avoid a sell out of the hardware I want) to buy the iMac at that same location a week earlier and then just use the up-to-date feature to get it sent to me in the mail for free?

The reason is I have no Apple Store around my area at all, but I'll be in the Orlando area from October 20th-28th and I'm trying to work out the best situation and timing to come home with an iMac and preferabbly Leopard but if not a garunteed free update to it. HELP!!!

Chupa Chupa
Hurrah!!! :)

So now the debate is whether to pre-order Online, or queue to buy it from a store - which one will get me Leopard sooner??!!

Apple is pretty much guaranteeing delivery on the 26th. If Leopard doesn't go on sale until 6pm @ the retail stores (don't forget the henious lines, unless that is your kinda thing...it's not mine) then ordering from Apple is the fastest way to get yours. I've ordered from Apple the past two upgrades. I got 10.3 a whole day before the official launch and 10.4 @ noon, launch day.

Warbrain

It won't make a difference. The education discounts have been becoming less and less over the last few years. When the iPods were sold to students at full price we should've known they were most likely coming to an end at some point.

Yateball
Oct 16, 2007, 08:06 AM
Students whining about the Educational price? Don't most of them spend more than that per week on drugs and alcohol?

Anyone else think that's incredibly stereotypical???
Wow

Warbrain

Thanks for stereotyping us. I'll let you know I'm clean and sober all the time.

DeaconGraves
Do you HAVE to get the family pack to install on more than 1 machine? When I bought Tiger I was able to install on my tower and iBook (which I thought was very cool of apple to not hassle us about).

Do you think that would still work?

Yes, Apple probably will still not hassle you.

Of course, actions like this is probably why the education discounts are getting reduced, so thanks a lot.

betoranaldi
for everyone interested in the up to date program...

http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

scunky
leopard 300+ new features
see them all here http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/300.html

sananda

i should think they do if they are making the most of their student days.

stuartmingay
Oct 16, 2007, 08:08 AM
Very nice!

Have I missed this in Leopard or is this a surprise?

lamina
Oct 16, 2007, 08:08 AM
I couldn't tell if there was an edu discount or not... looks like $10 off in Canada. Still pre-ordered. Hopefully delivered on time.

Mysticneonglow
Oct 16, 2007, 08:09 AM
Preordered with delivery on the 26th :D!!!

Spanky Deluxe
Oct 16, 2007, 08:11 AM

Haha! Too true! I don't know what its like in the states but over here £75.20 isn't all that much for most students. I don't think the price hike will stop many students who were planning on buying a copy from doing so. Students either 1) don't care to upgrade because it never crossed their mind, 2) would pirate it anyway, 3) realise that the £25 odd quid more than they were expecting to pay isn't that much and buy anyway.

Put me in number three.

lem144
Oct 16, 2007, 08:11 AM
Loaded up boot camp - love my $2600 iMac. Now I have to spend MORE $$$ or boot camp wont work? WTF? Apple's site says boot camp will be disabled on Tiger when Leopard is released. The Apple store folks did not tell me Boot Camp would expire, when I clearly told them I would be installing Windows with Boot Camp. Does anything think I have recourse?

cooknwitha
Oct 16, 2007, 08:12 AM
Oh wah wah wah from the students.

Yes, it sucks when you don't have much money and EDU discounts are important with Pro Software and Hardware because you often need it. This is a new OS. It's not a necessity. It's new bells and whistles.

Warbrain
Haha! Too true! I don't know what its like in the states but over here £75.20 isn't all that much for most students. I don't think the price hike will stop many students who were planning on buying a copy from doing so. Students either 1) don't care to upgrade because it never crossed their mind, 2) would pirate it anyway, 3) realise that the £25 odd quid more than they were expecting to pay isn't that much and buy anyway.

Put me in number three.

Considering that the price of Leopard is about half of what I would spend on books, it's bogus.

Chupa Chupa
So who thinks I'll have any problem at all walking into an Apple Store after 6pm (not lining up) on the 26th and leaving with a brand new iMac w/Leopard in the box, though not pre-installed? Would I be better off (to avoid a sell out of the hardware I want) to buy the iMac at that same location a week earlier and then just use the up-to-date feature to get it sent to me in the mail for free?

The reason is I have no Apple Store around my area at all, but I'll be in the Orlando area from October 20th-28th and I'm trying to work out the best situation and timing to come home with an iMac and preferabbly Leopard but if not a garunteed free update to it. HELP!!!

AT 6 there will be a line. Based on the iPhone line, it will go fast though. I'd say if you came in around 8pm you'd be more likely to just walk in. I don't think Apple is going to sell out of Macs.

Another idea...go to the Apple store on the 26th, say around. Noon. Tell them you don't want to buy your comptuer in a crowed store. Ask if you buy the computer now (noon on the 26th) if you can come back at 7 and just pick up Leopard (that is assuming Apple is going to offer instant copies to Mac buyers on the 26th. They have before, but then again they also offered 10.4 for to EDU for $79.

Father Jack
Oct 16, 2007, 08:13 AM
That's my copy ordered .. Happy days ..:)

Taylor C
Woooooooot! I can't wait!

bytethese
$116 with teh EDU discount? I guess I'm not buying Leopard anytime soon. For $69-$79 it was a lock for me. Makes no sense, I might as well wait and put $113 towards a new MBP sometime next yr. Sheesh. :P

Warbrain
Oct 16, 2007, 08:14 AM

Yes, it sucks when you don't have much money and EDU discounts are important with Pro Software and Hardware because you often need it. This is a new OS. It's not a necessity. It's new bells and whistles.

And that's what I decided. I looked through the new features...it's not really all that great. I don't need Leopard RIGHT now. Sure, I'll go to the Apple store on the 26th as there'll most likely be some contest to win a new computer and I'll take my shot, but psh, I'll be just as happy in Tiger as I already am.

rented mule
Oct 16, 2007, 08:14 AM

VAT...for ****'s sakes...even I know your stupid VAT is included and taxes in the US aren't. I shouldn't even know this considering I don't care about europe in general. :P

Shadow
Oct 16, 2007, 08:15 AM
I just happen to be in London at MacLive! Expo the day after it is released. No pre-order for me!

anothermacaddic
Does this mean boot camp is out of beta?

DeaconGraves

Put me in number three.

I agree its not that much, its just stinks for those of us who budgeted for the typical discount and now have to throw a bit more money down (ie, now I have to spend more than my iPhone rebate).

Loaded up boot camp - love my $2600 iMac. Now I have to spend MORE $$$ or boot camp wont work? WTF? Apple's site says boot camp will be disabled on Tiger when Leopard is released. The Apple store folks did not tell me Boot Camp would expire, when I clearly told them I would be installing Windows with Boot Camp. Does anything think I have recourse?

Boot Camp has always been in beta and there are disclaimers on the download page everywhere:

Warning: Boot Camp Beta is preview software licensed for use on a trial basis for a limited time. Do not use Boot Camp Beta in a commercial operating environment or with important data. You should back up all of your data before installing this software and regularly back up data while using the software. Your rights to use Boot Camp Beta are subject to acceptance of the terms of the software license agreement that accompanies the software.

Important: Apple does not provide technical phone support for using Boot Camp Beta, burning the Macintosh Drivers CD, or installing Microsoft Windows. Support is available on Apple's website. Fee-based support agreements are not available for Boot Camp Beta.

La Porta
Oct 16, 2007, 08:16 AM

None. Boot Camp was clearly labeled as beta software that would be packaged in release form with 10.5. You've got nothing on them.

DoFoT9
woooohhhhoooooooo!!!!!!!!!

when will it come out in Aust :( ???

FJ218700

tiger boot camp was a beta. It should still work, but will not be supported with software updates.

Dagless
Oct 16, 2007, 08:17 AM
10 days away... Good stuff!

I'm liking October now. New series of Spooks tonight and Metroid Prime 3 is out in just under 2 weeks or so. :D

H0M3R
According to the technical specifications page for Leopard, Front Row requires a Mac with built-in IR and an Apple Remote. Does this mean that Front Row will not work with the Mac Pro?

sunfast
Hooray! Screen sharing in iChat is a reality.

Eidorian
Leopard is going to see a lot less student and staff purchases at that price.

Grease2310
AT 6 there will be a line. Based on the iPhone line, it will go fast though. I'd say if you came in around 8pm you'd be more likely to just walk in. I don't think Apple is going to sell out of Macs.

Another idea...go to the Apple store on the 26th, say around. Noon. Tell them you don't want to buy your comptuer in a crowed store. Ask if you buy the computer now (noon on the 26th) if you can come back at 7 and just pick up Leopard (that is assuming Apple is going to offer instant copies to Mac buyers on the 26th. They have before, but then again they also offered 10.4 for to EDU for $79.

Makes sense. I'm now teetering on the edge. On the one hand it sounds like buying the iMac itself on the first day I'm in Orlando and just ordering the up-to-date immediately via the hotel's internet would have it show up at my door by the time I get home. On the other hand it also seems like it might be a lot of fun to go down to the Apple Store on the 26th. My only fear is that if I wait till then I won't get my mac and I won't be in town to grab one when they restock.

TheSpecialist
Oct 16, 2007, 08:18 AM
When will the Safari 3 Beta for Windows lose it Beta tag?

decimortis
Glad to see that Leopard is also 129 for Canadians now. :)

Chupa Chupa

Yeah but the whole point of EDU discounts is not because students are poor. Even tenured professors with 6 digit salaries qualify for the EDU discount. The idea behind EDU discounts is to give people in EDU an incentive to buy Mac and then evangelize to the outside world. I understand why Apple go rid of the iPod discounts, but tightening up on Apple s/w makes no sense. Even M$ has a better deal on Win for students. I think the EDU price for Leopard show a bit of hubris on Apple's part. You can get Leopard for less just buying retail from an Apple reseller like MacMall.

Vidd
If I get an iMac now and want Leopard later, do I just pay the shipping or is there some sort of rebate program?

WildPalms
Who wants cheese with their whine?:p Student price is cheap. I guess there is no pleasing some folks.

xUKHCx
Oct 16, 2007, 08:19 AM

Put me in number three.

But the HE price is £58.75 exactly the same as Tiger was.

MacBoobsPro
$129 in US.

$173 in UK.

Apple is beginning to piss me off big time.

thefunkymunky
Home page updated.

garethh
Ooooh! £9.80 reduction! Makes paying all this money for uni REALLY worth it. Still, Leopard is gonna be awesome.
http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/9297/picture2wi4.th.png (http://img522.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture2wi4.png)

As a university student I ordered it at the Higher Education store where the price is £58.75.

Rodimus Prime
Oct 16, 2007, 08:21 AM

What the hell. That is not your typical studented. Most of us do not spent much on alcohol or drugs. Heck I can not afford it right now. I am cutting corners just trying to get by much less pay for anything else. As for drugs lets see I spend about 50 cents a day on some prescriptions drugs I need to take on a daily bases.

M$ is still doing real student discounts. Heck M$ works with the schools to get very nice deals for the students. For example students can get most of M$ software though there campus for dirt cheap and/or download it from the school for free.

Compared that with apple. Oh wait apple does not do that. Apple does not do that.
Read my mind on the pirating part. I've had the thought run through my mind. There is no way in hell that I can afford it. I'm hoping that the department I work in at my university gets a copy of it that I can use...

But yea, there is no way I can afford Leopard at 116 dollars when I already have to pay for school, books, insurance...

Yeah I expect this OS release of apple to have a true pirating problem. I believe apple is going to have a very noticeable lost to pirating. Heck I would not be surprised to see future releases of OSX to have anti-pirating activation crap in them because of increase in pirated versions of leopard that will be out there.

DeaconGraves
Okay, I'm done with my whining about the edu discount.

The more imporatnt question is where can I find a countdown widget? :cool:

Warbrain
You may not get it the day it comes out, but MacMall sure as hell beats the EDU discount.

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=7260697&Redir=1&description=Apple-Mac%20OS%20X%20v10.5%20Leopard%20-%20Single%20User-Operating%20Systems

Chupa Chupa
If I get an iMac now and want Leopard later, do I just pay the shipping or is there some sort of rebate program?

Apple should be announcing the "Up-To-Date" program details soon. Typically the upgrade copy is free + $20 shipping and handling.

FJ218700
I don't know if the requirements had been officially released before, but:

Minimum System Requirements

• Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 (867MHz or faster) processor
• 512MB of physical RAM
• DVD drive for installation

I guess the iBook I just bought off eBay will be stuck at Tiger, then.

install via T-mode (firewire) from another mac with the right specs

hob
As a university student I ordered it at the Higher Education store where the price is £58.75.

Right, there's one reason for me to go to Uni then.

That makes loads of sense. To get on the HE store you have to be on an HE network! I guess I'll cancel my really expensive student discount order then!

Cheers for telling us about this, I was hoping for somewhere around £55!

IndyGopher
Oct 16, 2007, 08:22 AM

Recourse? Are you serious? For what? You ran a program that repartitioned your hard drive, and didn't even read the info that popped up on the screen?

xUKHCx
Makes for some good reading http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/300.html

bravedeer
This is criminal of Apple to do. If their reasoning is that non-students were abusing their policy, they can only blame their policy which required no ID when ordering online...

I'm going to the Apple store on Friday with my student id. If they don't sell me a copy for $69, then I'll just borrow a copy from someone.

DoFoT9

any1 kno if there is an australian education discount version>????<

hankolerd

i'm guessing if you get an iMac now, you will be buying leopard later. But I would call Apple to find out for sure. If you are ordering an iMac and it's going to take a couple weeks to ship you could ask if it will come with Leopard pre-installed. But I don't see Apple running a rebate to people who knew if they waited 10 days they would get leopard for sure.

I think I am going to wait until it is released and get the student developer connection package, and so I can get a discount next time I get a new computer, plus I will save $30.:apple:

Evangelion
Oct 16, 2007, 08:23 AM
Loaded up boot camp - love my $2600 iMac. Now I have to spend MORE $$$ or boot camp wont work? WTF?

Um, Apple made it quite clear that Boot Camp is a beta-preview of a Leopard-feature.

The Apple store folks did not tell me Boot Camp would expire, when I clearly told them I would be installing Windows with Boot Camp.

So? Maybe they assumed that you actually knew the software you were going to install on your computer?

Does anything think I have recourse?

Yes: Buy Leopard.

nickd87
woooohhhhoooooooo!!!!!!!!!

when will it come out in Aust :( ???

Umm.. it's available for pre-order now from the Aus Apple store. GO GET IT!

VoodooDaddy
Whats with all the moaning and groaning over the EDU discount? Yes, I was a poor college student at one time, but if I could afford $70-80 for this I certainly could come up with another $40.

On a different note, this will be my first OS upgrade with Mac. Whenever I upgraded in Windows I didnt dare just install over the top. I always did a clean install. Whats the recommended way to do with OSX? Will over the top we just as good as a clean install since OSX doesnt get corrupt and bog down like Windows?

shoelessone

I try, but sometimes work/study gets in the way :(

Veljo
Pre-ordered from the Australian store, says delivers on October 26th. Areas outside of major metropolitan and regional areas will incur an extra 2 day wait...hope I don't fall in that category:eek:

xUKHCx
Okay, I'm done with my whining about the edu discount.

The more imporatnt question is where can I find a countdown widget? :cool:

Most countdown widget lets you set a finish time. I actually set one up about 3 days ago.

cooknwitha

If you buy a qualifying Mac between October 1, 2007 and December 29, 2007, and it does not include Mac OS X Leopard, you’re eligible to get Leopard after it’s released for just A$ 12.95 plus tax.

For those still wondering, this info is available on the store pages for Macs.

ksimm
If you buy a qualifying Mac between October 1, 2007 and December 29, 2007, and it does not include Mac OS X Leopard, you're eligible to get Leopard after it's released for just £5.95.

How to get Leopard

Nice £5.95 for Leopard it is then. :)

Stella
Oct 16, 2007, 08:24 AM
I'm impressed Apple!

Canadian price is also $129. Apple are recognizing the parity of the CA Dollar!

DoFoT9
Recourse? Are you serious? For what? You ran a program that repartitioned your hard drive, and didn't even read the info that popped up on the screen?

hahaha yea like ANYEONE ever reads that whole pile of stuff..

anyway i heard that you have until the end of 08 until it expires???

bytethese

Yes, but only when he drops it from $116 to $79. Then we can all complain and that's when Steve will give us $25 gift cards. :)

junker
Oct 16, 2007, 08:25 AM
The 300 feature page - http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/300.html - is a great read! I recommend it to all - there are some features that are very interesting and useful!

That said, I'll personally wait until the bugs are ironed out a bit - but it is very exciting... though I'm a bit annoyed that some minor features are not compatible with my Dual 2.3 G5 with 4.5 GB of RAM ... unbelievable that it wouldn't handle all things thrown at it.

Chupa Chupa
Oct 16, 2007, 08:25 AM

When you d/l'd Boot Camp the disclaimer clearly noted it was a beta version and that it would expire. Your best recourse would be to take a reading course and learn not to believe everything a store clerk tells you. If a store clerk really knew his stuff he'd be working for Apple in Cupertino, not in the mall.

virus1
Oct 16, 2007, 08:26 AM
Great, but where is the GM on the developers seeding page? Has it even gone GM yet?

northernmunky
Oct 16, 2007, 08:26 AM
VAT...for ****'s sakes...even I know your stupid VAT is included and taxes in the US aren't. I shouldn't even know this considering I don't care about europe in general. :P

I'm in Taiwan and its only NT$ 4,390 (£66) here and they don't add tax at the end.
Its £85 in UK.

cervaro
Oct 16, 2007, 08:27 AM
Nice £5.95 for Leopard it is then. :)

Is there a link for that somewhere? Couldn't see anything on the Apple UK site.

Warbrain
Whats with all the moaning and groaning over the EDU discount? Yes, I was a poor college student at one time, but if I could afford $70-80 for this I certainly could come up with another $40.

On a different note, this will be my first OS upgrade with Mac. Whenever I upgraded in Windows I didnt dare just install over the top. I always did a clean install. Whats the recommended way to do with OSX? Will over the top we just as good as a clean install since OSX doesnt get corrupt and bog down like Windows?

40 dollars can be make or break for the vast majority of college students.

J'aime
So in the apple store online the 17" MBP has a 7-10 day shipping delay. Do you think if i ordered it like today or tomorrow it would come with Leopard pre-installed?

blackcrayon
Oct 16, 2007, 08:28 AM
Check out the Bonjour description on http://www.apple.com/macosx/technology/

"Bonjour

Holisticly provide access to ethical communities vis-a-vis client-focused."

WTH? :)

netdog
I'm going down to Regent Street to get mine on Friday.

haiggy
Woot! The Canadian Store is selling it for $129 CAN, same as the US store... and the EDU discount is $115... $1 cheaper than the US edu discount. Awesome :p

I assume they hiked the edu prices because so many people just said they were a student and robbed Apple of some cash

GodzPeepz
Just bought the family pack!
Even with the Edu discount, I have two macs to pay for; it would of been around $250.00 for two licenses, BUT when you buy the family pack I saved $35.00. (around $215.00).

Oh well.

CAN"T WAIT :)

xenotaku
Oct 16, 2007, 08:29 AM
What is the grace period for buying a new mac and getting a free upgrade? I bought my MacBook Pro 1 month ago. Any chance?

tpth
This is criminal of Apple to do. If their reasoning is that non-students were abusing their policy, they can only blame their policy which required no ID when ordering online...

I'm going to the Apple store on Friday with my student id. If they don't sell me a copy for $69, then I'll just borrow a copy from someone.

I love it. For God's sake, how is it "criminal" to not offer a discount that the company is not obliged to offer in the first place? Any student who can afford to spend $1000+ on a Mac is hardly doing it tough - and Tiger works just fine anyway... :rolleyes:

Philsy

How to get Leopard

What is the definition of a 'qualifying Mac' ?

stompy
I'm in Orlando and just ordering the up-to-date immediately via the hotel's internet would have it show up at my door by the time I get home.

Apple should be announcing the "Up-To-Date" program details soon. Typically the upgrade copy is free + $20 shipping and handling.

Check the Leopard up-to-date details page (http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/). (Looks like Grease already did :-)

From that page: "Customers who purchase a qualifying new Macintosh computer on or after October 1, 2007 that does have not Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard included can upgrade to Leopard."

Edit: Oops, didn't see those last few posts. On Apple's up-to-date page, "Qualifying mac" links to a list of product numbers.

rsoerensen
Oct 16, 2007, 08:30 AM

Hahaha guess you're right, the 25% danish VAT would make the price go up to 162 dollars.. So I guess VAT is half the explanation for the 190 dollar danish price point, and the other half is your low dollar..

Sorry, I didn't know that you don't have any equivalent to VAT, guess i shouldn't neither, considering I don't about usa in general - except of course for all the nasty trends that hits us 5-10 years later (Fox for instance). Leopard, however, is not one of them ;-)

Warbrain
Oct 16, 2007, 08:31 AM
Just bought the family pack!
Even with the Edu discount, I have two macs to pay for; it would of been around $250.00 for two licenses, BUT when you buy the family pack I saved $35.00. (around $215.00).

Oh well.

CAN"T WAIT :)

Or you just blew your money away because Apple has NEVER worried about multiple installations of the OS from one disc.

CashGap
Oct 16, 2007, 08:31 AM
So I guess the summary student response is:

1. Because you gave me a big discount on Tiger, you OWE ME a big discount on Leopard. Hmmm.

2. At $70 I'll buy it, at $116 I'll steal it. Hmmm.

3. Microsoft has to practically give their software away to get students to use it, so Apple should too. Hmmm.

4. Math majors think $129 - $116 = $3. Hmmm.

5. English majors think Apple is taking adatage of them. Hmmm.

6. Pre-law majors think they have recourse if Apple sticks to the terms in the Boot Camp beta license. Hmmm.

Rodimus Prime
Oct 16, 2007, 08:32 AM

very true. 40 buck is a week worth of groceries for me. I might and I mean MIGHT of been able to afford it at the $70-80 range and yes that would of been pushing it but increase that 40-50 bucks and it is beyond what I can afford to spend on it. So it will be some time before I get my hands on Leopard.

NightStorm
Oct 16, 2007, 08:33 AM
The standard these days seems to be to launch a frivolous class action lawsuit. Good luck!

Philsy
Hahaha guess you're right, the 25% danish VAT would make the price go up to 162 dollars.. So I guess VAT is half the explanation for the 190 dollar danish price point, and the other half is your low dollar..

Sorry, I didn't know that you don't have any equivalent to VAT, guess i shouldn't neither, considering I don't about usa in general - except of course for all the nasty trends that hits us 5-10 years later (Fox for instance). Leopard, however, is not one of them ;-)

The USA does have sales tax but, for some bizarre reason, it's added at the point of sale. I think it varies from state to state, too.

JackSYi
$17 off is better than nothing. I'm sure Apple deserves every penny of it.

Vidd
Oct 16, 2007, 08:34 AM
i'm guessing if you get an iMac now, you will be buying leopard later. But I would call Apple to find out for sure. If you are ordering an iMac and it's going to take a couple weeks to ship you could ask if it will come with Leopard pre-installed. But I don't see Apple running a rebate to people who knew if they waited 10 days they would get leopard for sure.

Apple have run a similar program before, AFAIK, where if you ordered a computer after they announced the update, that you could upgrade at a lower cost.

tmoney468
Oct 16, 2007, 08:34 AM
I have a quick question, does anyone know if/when Apple Student Developers will get Leopard? I was just wondering if anyone had experience with this from past OS releases, and if I won't get it I should pre-order it soon. Thanks!

RqThrottle
Oct 16, 2007, 08:35 AM
Pre-ordered it with EPP discount.

My Safari was definitely faster after I finished the checkout process.

VoodooDaddy
Oct 16, 2007, 08:35 AM

Give me a break. If $40 is a "make or break" extra cost then you shouldnt be spending $70-80 in the first place.

Its just annoying that everything Apple does anymore with pricing sets off a massive amount of whining.

very true. 40 buck is a week worth of groceries for me. I might and I mean MIGHT of been able to afford it at the $70-80 range and yes that would of been pushing it but increase that 40-50 bucks and it is beyond what I can afford to spend on it. So it will be some time before I get my hands on Leopard.

see above.

tivoli2
Oct 16, 2007, 08:36 AM

That'll show 'em, mate. Brilliant.:rolleyes: I for one am offended that :apple: did not personally notify me of the release with a free advance copy as I've been a loyal user since 1987. Simply rude and I probably will never smile at any Apple Store employee again.

NightStorm

Hahaha... thank you so much for this post. It really made me laugh this morning at my desk. If you think this is a criminal act that Apple has committed, you really should turn on CNN or read the newspaper.

jaw04005
It would be nice if the "freezing fix" for those of us with the 24" ALU iMacs is Leopard. Haha, in my dreams!

Warbrain
The USA does have sales tax but, for some bizarre reason, it's added at the point of sale. I think it varies from state to state, too.

Varies from state to state, county to county, town to town.

morespce54
It's dargn about time! ;)

RichP
Oct 16, 2007, 08:37 AM
Certain individuals abuse the EDU discount. Those who take one continuing ed class, who are not really students, etc. use the discount when they really should not. (Heck, we had persons yesterday post "you don't even need an ID") I am not surprised Apple reduced the EDU discount on Leopard.

That being said, I am looking forward to the update next week!

NightStorm
Oct 16, 2007, 08:37 AM
The same thing happened with the iPhone update, and people did it anyways and complained when their phone broke. People don't like to read dialog boxes on their screen anymore I guess...

azdude
Oct 16, 2007, 08:38 AM
I have a quick question, does anyone know if/when Apple Student Developers will get Leopard? I was just wondering if anyone had experience with this from past OS releases, and if I won't get it I should pre-order it soon. Thanks!

If? From what I understand, then yes - it will come in a monthly mailing.

When? No clue. I don't have experience with this either. I ordered my primary copy retail, and will use the developer copy on my wife's machine when it comes.

ogee
Oct 16, 2007, 08:39 AM
Dont you just love Students!

they order a top of the line MacBook Pro or Mac Pro for a couple of thousand then complain a that a major OS upgrade costs 40 more than last time. Tell you what... sell your Mac and downgrade to a cheaper version that has leopard preinstalled, then you can go and get your groceries as well.

:D

Nerdowl
Oct 16, 2007, 08:40 AM
Ah Finally!

*logs into Apple UK Education store*

£75.20 ?

Time to pre-order methinks :D

Let me guess - UK is more expensive than US yet again is it? :rolleyes: ;)

rsoerensen
Oct 16, 2007, 08:40 AM

Allright, so how does Apple make sure that all customers that buys leopard in the US, only pays 129$? Are their revenue lower in some states due to state-independent sales taxes?

That would be somehow equivalent to other products here in Denmark, cars for instance, where we pay about +200% in taxes - that has previously caused the companies to lower their prices on some cars so the difference wouldn't be to big...

ronipe
Oct 16, 2007, 08:41 AM
hi, noob here. this may be a bit off, but just wondering, would there be an update to the macbook pro along with leopard's release? i'm really looking forward to get my first-ever mac in 10 days, been thinking bout making the switch for quite a while. just waited for leopard.. or if not by leopard's release, by early november?

mrfrosty
When you d/l'd Boot Camp the disclaimer clearly noted it was a beta version and that it would expire. Your best recourse would be to take a reading course and learn not to believe everything a store clerk tells you. If a store clerk really knew his stuff he'd be working for Apple in Cupertino, not in the mall.

Be careful with that argument, i once said something very similar and was heavily chastised as some people appaaaareeeennnntlllyy just love working in retail....

NightStorm
I'm sorry, but I don't really buy this. If you can afford the $70 to buy Tiger, you can afford the additional $40 to buy Leopard. I went through undergrad working full time while a full time student to afford the things that I needed/wanted. It worked for me.

And, while I don't know anyone else on the forums, there are more than a few college students that don't blink at $40 bar tabs, yet would complain at something like this...

SiliconAddict
New icons! WOO HOO! :rolleyes: Seriously they are probably counting the icons as a "feature".

Luap
You student types are so unbelievably tight! Stop moaning! I realise you would rather spend your grants and loans on alcohol & tickets to see "My chemical Romance" or whoever is hip this week. But damn.. You are studying to make a good living. You are going to use OS X much like the rest of us, so you should pay for it much like the rest of us. Be grateful you get any discount at all!

NOTE, Not to be taken too seriously

crossifixio
Oct 16, 2007, 08:42 AM
Yeeeeeeeesssssssssssss it is finally out :D :D :D
So let me get this straight I want to go and buy it from the store (UK regent street) but if I am a student I wont get any discount. I really want to buy it from the store and join in the party :(

lloydh
Oct 16, 2007, 08:43 AM
Right now I have two macs so am contemplating the Family pack...

Are there any disadvantages? How does it keep track of how many macs you have it installed on? I always like the fact that OS X didn't have any license cr@p!

So does the family pack get the thumbs up or - ahem, should my macs learn to share? ;)

Oh and 'shipping by 26th of October' presumably that doesn't mean arriving on the 26th? :(

Neverland
Oct 16, 2007, 08:43 AM
Funny thing about the 1 Oct date as grace period to become Leopard...
I've purchased my Macbook on 28th Sept and it hasn't shipped yet ... Apple lost it somewhere between Shanghai and Netherlands (i'm from germany).

So i don't get Leopard if i don't send the packet back to apple to purchase a new one (which will took another month i predict to ship me a Macbook).

What do you think about new Macbooks?
Only things I'm worring about is core animation and 64-bit memory adressing. I'm only gaming 1% of my computer usage, so it doesn't matter to me if it's 950 or 3100; i've also red in many magazines the difference is nearly small between those cards and both are not comparable to any Ati/Nvidia GPU's.

Besides that - what do you think? If Apple offers me Leopard for free because of its shipment ******** i should send it back anyway to wait for new macbooks? I'm really thinking a lot if it would matter to me if there is SR or Napa in it - Is there even a big speed distance between 2,2 SR and 2,16 Napa ??

jaw04005
Oct 16, 2007, 08:44 AM
Whatever. I bought the EDU version anyways. I was somewhat surprised as Jaguar, Panther and Tiger were all $69. That was aggressive pricing especially for an operating system. Considering it's nowhere near the retail, upgrade price of a Vista, it's still a good buy.

whenpaulsparks
Oct 16, 2007, 08:44 AM
the lack of educational discount sucks, but since i graduated with my bachelor's this spring and i'm planning on buying the family pack anyways, i'm not as upset as some of you guys, but i did enjoy purchasing panther and tiger at my school computer store for $69 on their respective release dates. standing in line for those launches was fun! :apple:

rbroady
Oct 16, 2007, 08:45 AM
will the family pack work if its past around through myself and four friends?

$40 leopard would be very nice

CashGap
Oct 16, 2007, 08:46 AM
In the US, there is no national sales tax.

States, counties and towns can set sales tax rates, and vary them by product.

A seller, such as Apple, is responsible for knowing and collecting sales tax for any jurisdiction in which they have a point of operation. For Apple, that's probably all fifty states. But for someone like MacMall, located in one state, they don't have to collect in the other 49.

At the end of a reporting period, Apple runs a report by state, county and city showing their sales in those areas and calculated sales tax. They then remit the sales tax collected to those entities.

MacRumors member A might pay $129 + $10 Florida + $1 Miami tax.
MacRumors member B might pay $129 + $8 Georgia + $.50 Atlanta tax
MacRumors member C might pay $129 + $11 New York + $2 New York City tax.

In all cases, Apple's revenue is $129. They merely collect the sales tax on behalf of the state/city/county and remit it to them.

FYI (Dramatically oversimplified).

3D-Troll
There seem to be different prices for different educational stores. Leopard is $69 here.

Steffen

glennyboiwpg
OMG I placed my preorder

... it says "Ships by: Delivery on oct 26th 2007"... For both the free and expensive shipping.

Does that mean that they will ship it on the 26th or it will show up on my door on the 26th?

sananda
Oct 16, 2007, 08:48 AM
Dont you just love Students!

they order a top of the line MacBook Pro or Mac Pro for a couple of thousand then complain a that a major OS upgrade costs 40 more than last time. Tell you what... sell your Mac and downgrade to a cheaper version that has leopard preinstalled, then you can go and get your groceries as well.

:D

yup! i'm usually surprised that students seem to be able to afford macbook pros when most likely a macbook would be more than sufficient. and now i'm further surprised that some are now saying that $40 makes all the difference.

Rodimus Prime
Give me a break. If $40 is a "make or break" extra cost then you shouldnt be spending $70-80 in the first place.

Its just annoying that everything Apple does anymore with pricing sets off a massive amount of whining.

see above.

wow some one missed what I wrote. I stated I might of been able to afford it and budget for it at 70-80 but that extra 40 puts it over the top and is a deal breaker for me and does put it well out of the range I can afford.

I am sorry you do not understand what it is to struggle and get by.

Also you do not understand that apple just pretty much took away EDU discount with a 50% increase in price. They should and deserver the whining they get for it. Apple is no longer really doing edu pricing any more. Apple is handing the edu world over to M$ on a silver plater because M$ is still very willing to work with schools and students.

mrpither
cheers that the day is finally here.

jeers to apple for shafting the students and (more so) the teachers. bs on people taking advantage of this - just make people provide actual proof to get their edu copy. this is all about keeping that stock price climbing, which seems to be job one for apple these days.

thanks to all of you now entering the pay beta phase of leopard. please try and get all the kinks worked out by .1 if you can. .2 at the latest please. thanks again!

dbwie
When iLife 08 came out, it was (if I recall) $71 for edu price online, compared to $79 retail. However, at my local campus computer store, I picked it up for $39. Thus, for students, I suggest that you check your campus computer store after Leopard comes out, and you may be able to get it for around $79. This is one way to limit the abuse of EDU discount, by making you purchase it on campus (and showing your ID).

And for those of you whining about price whining, try living on a graduate student stipend someday (or worse, on loans).

Zadillo
Oct 16, 2007, 08:49 AM
For students, you might want to check with your local campus computer store. I've already read a few reports from people who say they talked with their local campus store and they'll be selling Leopard for $69 anyway. Might be able to get a better deal that way.

Switched2aMac
Oct 16, 2007, 08:49 AM
Anyone know where to locate the government discount on apple.com? It used to be underneath the Student Discount and I can't find it.

October 26th is going to feel like an eternity....Can't wait:eek:

Switched2aMac

starman0147
Oct 16, 2007, 08:50 AM
Dammit! After all that time the site being down I was really hoping to see a new Macbook, had there been I would have been ordering mine right this second!
I suspect there won’t be an update till November after the back to school offer has finished.
Still glad Leopard is finally here!:D

"Add a new Mac to your Mac".:confused:

vadim.iablokov
Oct 16, 2007, 08:50 AM
I'm a student in Alberta, Canada and I didn't even notice the 40$ extra price tag. I'm just thrilled that it ain't 400$ like some other operating systems and that I finally have an automatic back up utility for all my work. I'll just have to skip a few meals this week to make up for it, which is an exaggeration but it'd definitely be worth it!

*edit*
just pre-ordered it now.. so does this mean I will get it delivered on the 26th like it says on the receipt... or will it be shipped out on the 26th (I chose standard shipping)?

jackc
Oct 16, 2007, 08:51 AM
wow some one missed what I wrote. I stated I might of been able to afford it and budget for it at 70-80 but that extra 40 puts it over the top and is a deal breaker for me and does put it well out of the range I can afford.

I am sorry you do not understand what it is to struggle and get by.

Also you do not understand that apple just pretty much took away EDU discount with a 50% increase in price. They should and deserver the whining they get for it. Apple is no longer really doing edu pricing any more. Apple is handing the edu world over to M$ on a silver plater because M$ is still very willing to work with schools and students.

If the $40 puts it well out of range, you should not be considering buying a new OS when Tiger works fine. Buy some food.

rented mule

I'm canadian...so I don't care if you don't care about USA. :) And by this new revelation, my dollar isn't low, it hasn't changed much...but it's gained strength vs the US dollar which means I can finally get Leopard for 129 dollars instead of 149 or 169 dollars as it so happened to cost back in the days. :D

Denmark *is* getting screwed....no doubt about that. But the UK isn't.

jaw04005
How does it keep track of how many macs you have it installed on? I always like the fact that OS X didn't have any license cr@p!

At least with Tiger, the Family Pack was not any different than the regular, retail version. It just included an updated license agreement that allows you to install the O/S on up to 5 machines.

Oh and 'shipping by 26th of October' presumably that doesn't mean arriving on the 26th? :(

Shipping by and delivery by are completely different. Make sure your invoice says delivery by Oct. 26. Otherwise, you won't get it on release day. Apple typically only offers this for a limited time (usually just a few days after the pre-order announcement). With Leopard's limited pre-release window, I wouldn't be surprised if they quit offering deliver on release date within the next 48 hours.

rsoerensen
In the US, there is no national sales tax.

States, counties and towns can set sales tax rates, and vary them by product.

A seller, such as Apple, is responsible for knowing and collecting sales tax for any jurisdiction in which they have a point of operation. For Apple, that's probably all fifty states. But for someone like MacMall, located in one state, they don't have to collect in the other 49.

At the end of a reporting period, Apple runs a report by state, county and city showing their sales in those areas and calculated sales tax. They then remit the sales tax collected to those entities.

MacRumors member A might pay $129 + $10 Florida + $1 Miami tax.
MacRumors member B might pay $129 + $8 Georgia + $.50 Atlanta tax
MacRumors member C might pay $129 + $11 New York + $2 New York City tax.

In all cases, Apple's revenue is $129. They merely collect the sales tax on behalf of the state/city/county and remit it to them.

FYI (Dramatically oversimplified).

Allright, that explains things.. In other words, if i bought leopard in florida, i would have to pay 140$ at the counter...

Good to learn some economics from a leopard announcement ;-)

Rodimus Prime
OMG I placed my preorder

... it says "Ships by: Delivery on oct 26th 2007"... For both the free and expensive shipping.

Does that mean that they will ship it on the 26th or it will show up on my door on the 26th?

They will ship it out a few days before hand. They do what called drop shipping and tell them to deliver it on 26th. It could sit at you local post office or UPS place for days but they can not and will not deliver it until the 26th.

On the last Harry potter book that is how BN did it for me. They delivered it on the release date. It was shipped several days before hand and was at the post office 2 days before I got it.

zimtheinvader
Oct 16, 2007, 08:52 AM
will this be available as a free download to ADC student members?

eenu
Oct 16, 2007, 08:53 AM
Or you just blew your money away because Apple has NEVER worried about multiple installations of the OS from one disc.

In the past your correct but you know that Leopard is the same? No you don't.

All indications would be that it will be the same, however, i took an hour or so to mull over whether i get a single license disc for my 2 macs or buy a 5 user license for £129. I spent the extra £60 and got the extra 4 licenses to be on the safe side. Not only that, i feel apple software is worth paying for.

sananda
Oct 16, 2007, 08:53 AM
I stated I might of been able to afford it and budget for it at 70-80 but that extra 40 puts it over the top and is a deal breaker for me and does put it well out of the range I can afford.

i think that instead of thinking about buying leopard, you should instead buy some books on the basic english you need to write essays and be taken seriously. might have. not might of.

Multimedia
Oct 16, 2007, 08:55 AM
Finally on the cover. 10 Days 11 Hours 4 Minutes and 30 seconds

Zadillo
Oct 16, 2007, 08:55 AM

I remember reading that ADC Student members got access to Tiger a few months after it came out, so maybe something like that. Apple might not do the same thing now though.

Phil A.
Oct 16, 2007, 08:56 AM

Installing on two computers from a single license is piracy - you may as well advocate torrenting it. Just because Apple may not stop you doesn't make it right

tpth
Oct 16, 2007, 08:56 AM
When iLife 08 came out, it was (if I recall) $71 for edu price online, compared to $79 retail. However, at my local campus computer store, I picked it up for $39. Thus, for students, I suggest that you check your campus computer store after Leopard comes out, and you may be able to get it for around $79. This is one way to limit the abuse of EDU discount, by making you purchase it on campus (and showing your ID).

And for those of you whining about price whining, try living on a graduate student stipend someday (or worse, on loans).
Done it. It truly sucks. But then, I couldn't afford a Mac back then (or a computer, for that matter). It mystifies me how students who *can* afford a MacBook (let alone a MacBook Pro) are complaining about paying the same for the new OS as everyone else. It's not like it's a compulsory purchase anyway.

Eduardo1971
Oct 16, 2007, 08:57 AM
Umm, so what was the "secret" that Jobs spoke of when making the initial OS 10.5 announcement. All, but dropped?

Multimedia
Oct 16, 2007, 08:57 AM
They will ship it out a few days before hand. They do what called drop shipping and tell them to deliver it on 26th. It could sit at you local post office or UPS place for days but they can not and will not deliver it until the 26th.

On the last Harry potter book that is how BN did it for me. They delivered it on the release date. It was shipped several days before hand and was at the post office 2 days before I got it.Yes but you may be able to prearrange with FedEx to pick it up at the depot instead of having to wait for the truck. ;)

vadim.iablokov
Oct 16, 2007, 08:58 AM
Ohhh maybe I pre-ordered too soon without looking at this forum board. I canceled my order and will check with my campus store first to see if they will offer a better price, thanks guys!

xBerserker
Oct 16, 2007, 08:59 AM
Pre-ordered and waiting! :)

Thataboy
Oct 16, 2007, 09:00 AM
I am reading the 300 features....

Hot Corner for Sleep Display
Get more use out of those hot corners. In addition to launching Exposé or starting a screen saver, you can now use hot corners to put your display to sleep.

SLEEP DISPLAY! PRAISE THE SWEET BABY JESUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zadillo
Oct 16, 2007, 09:00 AM
Umm, so what was the "secret" that Jobs spoke of when making the initial OS 10.5 announcement. All, but dropped?

I'm pretty sure that was just a reference to the "secret" features that Apple wasn't ready to show off at the time when Leopard was first unveiled.

I think things like the new Finder (with Coverflow, the new Quick Look stuff, etc.) were not initially shown.

I think perhaps this got hyped up into people thinking there were some amazing secrets or something (and that's probably Jobs', as the implication was that the unseen stuff was so mind-blowing that they couldn't show it yet).

philoye
Oct 16, 2007, 09:01 AM
Boo hoo, Leopard isn't as cheap as Tiger for students! Oh no, cry me a freakin' river.

Guess what? DON'T BUY IT. You think it is too expensive? Vote with your wallet and don't buy it.

I was in university once too. I was poor then, as well. I actually sold my meal plan (long story) and exchanged it for my first Mac, an LC475. Life sucks.

Apple doesn't owe you a thing. Nor do you owe Apple anything. Decide if Leopard is worth it to you at the price they are selling. Buy if it is, don't buy if it isn't.

But, colour me sceptical that a bunch of people hanging out on MacRumors.com don't actually want it and would let $40 sway you. Either you'll buy it or steal it. Whether Apple sells Leopard at $129, $113, or $79 won't change that (much).

clevin

? I won't buy an OS with no compelling reason for more than $80 (as a student).
Boo hoo, Leopard isn't as cheap as Tiger for students! Oh no, cry me a freakin' river.

Guess what? DON'T BUY IT. You think it is too expensive? Vote with your wallet and don't buy it.
indeed. vote with your wallet, I voted against SJ's total freaking control of iPT by returning it. I wouldn't hesitate to vote against an update OS which costs $129 and show no compelling reason for me.

xUKHCx
I am reading the 300 features....

Hot Corner for Sleep Display
Get more use out of those hot corners. In addition to launching Exposé or starting a screen saver, you can now use hot corners to put your display to sleep.

SLEEP DISPLAY! PRAISE THE SWEET BABY JESUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a widget that will do this for you, its good to see it included though.

WannaGoMac
Oct 16, 2007, 09:02 AM
Where did you see this info? I got my mac on October 8th...

Go to buy a new mac. At the corner is an update info link.

also here:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

brguitarist
That's a good question, where are the "secret features" Steve was taking about? Do you think they'll be announce throughout next week? (Something like a couple of the iPhone features were announced).

I guess Zadillo has a point...

lofight
None. Boot Camp was clearly labeled as beta software that would be packaged in release form with 10.5. You've got nothing on them.

yeah, so was dashcode, i got copy of that and it's really great and easy, it's really a nice feature!

it's stupid about the EDU, but here in Belgium there is no EDU not even 3 dollar, but i can buy it without VAT :p

darthraige
Oct 16, 2007, 09:03 AM
I officially bow down to Apple.

Now where's the new MacPro?

MattG
Oct 16, 2007, 09:04 AM
Forget that...I'll wait on this one. They should've just pulled the EDU discount altogether; to offer it with a mere $13 off is just insulting.

Rodimus Prime
Oct 16, 2007, 09:05 AM
? I won't buy an OS with no compelling reason for more than $80 (as a student).

it is more we where expecting it to be around the same price as it been in the past. I had budgeted to for around a $80 edu price. It was a very safe assumption since apple always done it in the past.

But Apple blind sided students with increasing the price by over 50% that is why students are up in arms about it. It screws over a lot of careful budgeting that took the cost of the OS into account.

Now do people understand why students are complaining. It a very unexpected price jump that no one saw coming. It is a nice slap in the face apple is giving students. They are taking money from people who can not afford it.

sjsutton
Oct 16, 2007, 09:05 AM
Just placed my order for the "free" upgrade (9.95 shipping). I purchased my 24" iMac on 10/6. Can't wait!!!

CashGap
Oct 16, 2007, 09:07 AM
"Its just annoying that everything Apple does anymore with pricing sets off a massive amount of whining."

Well, yeah. Apple lowered the price on a product, so of course everyone was outraged. And now Apple is raising the price on a product, so of course everyone is outraged.

blybug
Leopard is going to see a lot less student and staff purchases at that price.
Even though it's money "already" spent, I'm happy with the way this has come full circle for me...

http://bly.cc/images/LeopardOrder.jpg

VaDor
So they regret the Grass background being the oficial background.

eheheh nice I like the space one :)

BTW
Oct 16, 2007, 09:08 AM
Time to buy!!

Oh YES! :D

But I'm not waiting in a long line at an Apple store. I'll wait in the virtual one at the Apple online store. :apple:

Mac OS X Ocelot
Oct 16, 2007, 09:08 AM
it is more we where expecting it to be around the same price as it been in the past. I had budgeted to for around a $80 edu price. It was a very safe assumption since apple always done it in the past.

But Apple blind sided students with increasing the price by over 50% that is why students are up in arms about it. It screws over a lot of careful budgeting that took the cost of the OS into account.

Now do people understand why students are complaining. It a very unexpected price jump that no one saw coming. It is a nice slap in the face apple is giving students. They are taking money from people who can not afford it.

I know Apple doesn't have to offer the discount, but still I'm a little pissed. A little earlier of a warning would have been nice. I think Apple read all of the posts here yesterday about people using the discount when they don't qualify. Good job, MacRumorers!

(I'm so joking about that last part. Still pissed though)

big duck
Oct 16, 2007, 09:09 AM
If I order a mac today can I order it with Leopard? When is the soonest that I can? I want it with Leopard, with my free iPod (student offer until end of october) and I want it as soon as possible, on the 26th if possible.

How do I do this, when can I order?

CashGap
"They are taking money from people who can not afford it."

Er... only if those people who can't afford it click "Checkout" on the web store, fully aware of the price.

Seriously, these students will one day look back at their sense of entitlement and laugh. It's a stage for most.

illitrate23
I'm going down to Regent Street to get mine on Friday.
i shall see you there then :-)

i declared earlier that i'd have to leave the office early at 5pm on the dot next friday. no one made much of a reaction but one person asked me why. so i said it was so i could get to Regents St quickly to get in line for the OS and the whole desk looked at like i had two heads. don't know why

nownot
Oct 16, 2007, 09:10 AM
truthfully i was alright with paying 70$ for a os. but im not ok with paying 100+ so me personally will be bootlegging. for everyone that thanks apple is still a god company, that there so great just think about two things. quality of service hardware and customer has went down the drain in the past years, and prices have went up. still a good company but not as good as they once were.

Spanky Deluxe
But the HE price is £58.75 exactly the same as Tiger was.

No way!! Sweeeeeeet! All the better. I believe Apple honour the HE price in store too which is nice. Still I've got to think about either getting the HE price or the family pack.

zioxide

I'm not going to, BECAUSE I CAN'T AFFORD IT.

I was in university once too. I was poor then, as well. I actually sold my meal plan (long story) and exchanged it for my first Mac, an LC475. Life sucks.

Well that's great. I wish I could get rid of my meal plan (since I only use like half of it because the food sucks balls, but we're ****ing required to have it. $1500 a semester.

Apple doesn't owe you a thing. Nor do you owe Apple anything. Decide if Leopard is worth it to you at the price they are selling. Buy if it is, don't buy if it isn't.

I went and bought this expensive ****ing apple computer partially because they usually are good to students, but now they're pretty much saying "**** you".

But, colour me sceptical that a bunch of people hanging out on MacRumors.com don't actually want it and would let $40 sway you. Either you'll buy it or steal it. Whether Apple sells Leopard at $129, $113, or $79 won't change that (much).

$40 is a lot of money to someone who has little income and lots of expenses ($500+ in books a semester, spending money for food).

MrLubeMan
I am getting the new iMac after the 26th. We also have a G4 powerbook that does not meet the minimum requirements for Leopard. Does anyone see any compatibility issues? These will be on the same network.

sblasl
To all all Education Discount Whiners:

Apple has announced that they will continue to sell the new release of Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard) for the foreseeable future.

If at this time you find yourself not able to afford the current Education Pricing, Apple suggest that you be patient and SAVE UP TO BUY IT AT A LATER DATE WHEN YOU CAN AFFORD IT!

ph0rk
Oct 16, 2007, 09:11 AM
$116 for students? lame!

Tomaz
Oct 16, 2007, 09:12 AM
There is a discount, but it used to be $69 in the US, it is now $116...

That's another new feature, so it's 300+2 ! Wooohoooooo

VoodooDaddy
Oct 16, 2007, 09:12 AM

No, I dont understand. This will be my last post about this because its stupid to expect us to believe you can afford $80 (what you claim you budgeted) but you cant afford another $36.

If an extra $36 if a deal breaker because you just absolutely cannot afford another penny, then as I said, YOU SHOULDNT BE SPENDING THE INITAL $80 TO BEGIN WITH.