PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone care about those .15% pvc elements?

jeffh83
Oct 16, 2007, 09:54 AM
Does anyone care about those .15% pvc elements?
http://www.pollsb.com/polls/poll/2927/greenpeace-finds-toxic-materials-in-the-iphone

atarin
Oct 17, 2007, 12:58 PM
No, I can honestly say I really don't care. If you read the Greenpeace stuff floating around out there, unless you eat the earbuds, *and* you are a child, it's probably not gonna hurt you! Don't let your kids eat your earbuds. Problem solved! People really need to let go of their tight hugs around the trees and get lives. There is no way to be 100% green and have any technology at all. If it bothers people that much, they need to join an Amish community and shun technology altogether. Apple goes farther to be green than most companies, so cut them some slack already. By the way, what a sleezy site to link to. Why didn't you just start a poll here?

notjustjay
Oct 17, 2007, 01:25 PM
PVC?

As in the stuff my drainage pipes are made of? Shower curtains? Siding? Credit cards? Raincoats?

I got tons at home already, what's another .15%?

julianps
Oct 17, 2007, 01:40 PM
Does anyone care about those .15% pvc elements?
http://www.pollsb.com/polls/poll/2927/greenpeace-finds-toxic-materials-in-the-iphone

As someone who's addicted to eating mobile-phone chemical-exempted headphone cable I think it's a disgrace that "poisoned" :apple: is putting my unborn child at risk.

The "point" in point-one-five is exactly my point.

One the other hand, when I get to the bottom of this story Apple's only guilty of using an allowed substance, at permitted levels in exempted products that certain competitors have removed from "some" of their product lines.

Must have been a quiet week at Greenpeace (or the story that Apple shares might hit $199 got their trustees all excited and they felt the need to prime their PR pump?).

bbarnhart
Oct 17, 2007, 02:02 PM
It's not just Apple putting toxic chemicals into product, but the real problem is not eating the .15% toxic earbuds, it's .15% toxic earbuds that get thrown in the trash times 100 million.

It's toxic material in a landfill we don't need. And again, Apple isn't the only company with this problem or similar problem and there isn't necessarily a good solution.

notjustjay
Oct 17, 2007, 03:27 PM
It's toxic material in a landfill we don't need. And again, Apple isn't the only company with this problem or similar problem and there isn't necessarily a good solution.

Right, I understand the problem with PVC. I just think it's silly to go after Apple for 0.15% PVC in earbuds, a tiny fraction, when you can walk into the plumbing aisle of Home Depot and find several tons worth sitting in pallets ready to be sold, not to mention the many pounds worth of the stuff you probably already have in your house in the form of all those things I mentioned above. Again I say, what's another .15%?

kuebby
Oct 17, 2007, 03:47 PM
Uh oh, if Greenpeace says it it must be true (and important and relevant).