PDA

View Full Version : British Unions, the Labour Party, and Blair

Sayhey
Sep 2, 2003, 03:01 PM
The Guardian reports on the rebellion of the unions against Blair's Iraqi policy and any further support of US attempts at regime change.

The composite motion "condemns the British and US governments' unilateral decision to wage war on Iraq" and calls on the government to "work through the UN for the withdrawal without delay of coalition troops and for control of Iraq to be given to the Iraqi people".

The tough line adopted at the TUC in Brighton is likely to be echoed in Bournemouth three weeks later at Labour's conference, when former cabinet ministers Robin Cook and Clare Short will lead the charge.

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/unions/story/0,12189,1033707,00.html

Hopefully, our british brothers and sisters will lead the way in reining in Blair and Bush.

mactastic
Sep 2, 2003, 03:46 PM
With the Republicans in control of both houses here and the expiration of the special prosecutor law, there is little that will happen in this country to hold Bush accountable for the decisions leading up to war.

Prewar assumtions were at the very least wrong about several things regarding the postwar. How much will this cost the American taxpayer?

zimv20
Sep 2, 2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by mactastic
How much will this cost the American taxpayer?

over $72 billion so far.

http://www.costofwar.com/

or -- about $260 per US citizen (i used 280 million as the population). hey! that's almost that $300 i got back a couple years ago!

mactastic
Sep 2, 2003, 04:27 PM
Yeah, thats a problem. 'Cause I think that's gonna be a small part of the overall bill. We're gonna be stuck paying for the reconstruction of Iraq for the next decade or two.

The running joke about Gulf War I was that we almost made money off of it because of the coalition of donors Dubya's father managed to get together. This time I think the joke's gonna be on us.

Ugg
Sep 3, 2003, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by mactastic
The running joke about Gulf War I was that we almost made money off of it because of the coalition of donors Dubya's father managed to get together. This time I think the joke's gonna be on us.

A little diplomacy goes a long ways. Too bad none of it rubbed off on junior.