PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS X Leopard Upgrade Options

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Oct 16, 2007, 11:16 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

With today's announcement that Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard would be available on Friday, October 26th at 6 p.m., Apple also released details of the Mac OS X Leopard Up to Date (http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/) program and educational pricing.

- First, you can simply pre-order Leopard for $129 at the Apple Store (http://store.apple.com) for "free delivery on October 26th".
- If you purchased a qualifying Mac (http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/list.html) after October 1st, you can upgrade to Leopard for $9.95 (plus tax).
- Educational customers (http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/routingpage.html) have found that the pricing for Leopard is much higher than for previous versions of Mac OS X. Education pricing comes in at $116.
- Amazon has been offering Leopard for preorder (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FK88JK?tag=weeno&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=B000FK88JK&adid=1MD6ZAC88T1F7SWKZWPF&), and adds a $20 rebate for the purchase of both Mac OS X Leopard and Parallels 3.0 (http://send.onenetworkdirect.net/z/13532/CD90867/).
- Finally, Small Dog (http://www.smalldog.com/product/70005) is offering Leopard for $10 off at $119.

Note that Apple also offers Leopard Server (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/10/16leopardserver.html) and Leopard Family Pack ($199).

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/16/mac-os-x-leopard-upgrade-options/)

Toadstool
Oct 16, 2007, 11:19 AM
Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 (867MHz or faster) processor

G3 support died off faster than we thought! :rolleyes:

miketcool
Oct 16, 2007, 11:21 AM
Damn those who abused educational pricing! I would love to see a poll on how many people got the discount and didnt qualify, we all know its a lot.

mcarnes
Oct 16, 2007, 11:21 AM
I guess no more $69 for Edu. Oh well, Apple needed to fix that. Too many people took advantage of it (reselling on ebay, etc.).

etjazz
Oct 16, 2007, 11:22 AM
I ordered an iMac on september 25th, but it wasn´t delivered until october 14th .... do I qualify for an upgrade?:o

D3nZ
Oct 16, 2007, 11:23 AM
When will the computer with pre-installed Leopard be available? Now?? October 26th?? December 30th??

Le Big Mac
Oct 16, 2007, 11:23 AM
Generous up-to-date program . . . 3.5 weeks before actual release.

filmfanatic24
Oct 16, 2007, 11:24 AM
When will the computer with pre-installed Leopard be available? Now?? October 26th?? December 30th??

I'm wondering the same thing....

rmapple
Oct 16, 2007, 11:25 AM
Suck for the educational pricing! That means I'll have to go hungry longer to afford Leopard :( Wasn't Steve a poor college student too?

Does anyone know if Apple employees get like free upgrade to Leopard or a bigger discount?

minik

That made sense. Vintage and obsolete products (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304210)

I think that is great for those who just purchased new Macs. $9.95 shouldn't be an issue, right?

Educational pricing is kind of shock me since I work at a college. Even tho I will receive a free copy from the school, I still plan to wait in line on 10/26.

So Apple picked the MacBook on the main Leopard page, does that mean no facelift MacBook or updated model?

jmsait19
I ordered an iMac on september 25th, but it wasn´t delivered until october 14th .... do I qualify for an upgrade?:o

I had this same issue when Panther came out. I ordered and my computer didn't arrive until 1 day after the announcement. Unfortunately I didn't call in and see if they could comp me. So I really don't have advise to offer except call in and give it a try.

Good Luck...

superleccy
Oct 16, 2007, 11:28 AM
$129? :confused:

Then why am I being charged $147 + tax? :eek:

Oh yeah, I live in the UK. Almost forgot. :mad:

SL

D3nZ
I'm wondering the same thing....

I would like to call them (Apple) to know when, but I'm at work right now. Cause if you take the up to date program, you have to wait and get your computer first (if you order it right now) before ordering Leopard cause you need the serial number.

dr_lha
Damn those who abused educational pricing! I would love to see a poll on how many people got the discount and didnt qualify, we all know its a lot.
Really? Its not like the Edu discount version was sold in regular stores like Office "Student and Teacher" Edition was. Every time I've bought stuff with Educational discount I've had to either show my employer ID (I work for a University) or in the case of the online store, login into my University's website as a validation.

PJM
Oct 16, 2007, 11:29 AM
I bought a refurbished Macbook pro on octuber 9th (not delivered yet). Do you think I will get a leopard copy? If not, do refurbished machines qualify for Leopard up-to-date program?

dr_lha
Oct 16, 2007, 11:30 AM

SL
Don't expect Apple to keep lowering/raising prices as the dollar weakens/strengthens. IT makes sense to pick a UK price point, which is what Apple has done. A $18 premium is pretty small for the UK compared to what you usually pay (remember the US price of $129 is not including tax).

Cougarcat
Oct 16, 2007, 11:30 AM
I won't order anything from Macmall (http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail~dpno~7260697.asp) again, but they are offering Leopard for $109, less than the edu price. Shipping is free but only after a mail-in rebate.

evilspoons
Oct 16, 2007, 11:33 AM
- If you purchased a qualifying Mac (http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/list.html) after October 1st, you can upgrade to Leopard for $9.95 (plus tax).
- Educational customers (http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/routingpage.html) have found that the pricing for Leopard is much higher than for previous versions of Mac OS X. Education pricing comes in at $116.

Dammit and dammit.

My MacBook Pro shipped Sept 22nd, nine days too early for the upgrade. And I'm a university student, so $69 didn't seem too bad if I missed the $9.95 window.

Sigh. I guess it's Tiger for me for a while still. Strange how Microsoft is always knocked for Windows pricing being so bad, yet Mac OS educational only has an 11% discount now and Windows has a 200% discount (I got two copies of Vista Business Edition for free, completely legally from my department at school.)

wongulous
What the hell is up with the huge price increase? THANKS, APPLE.

</3 poor college student

daveschroeder
Education institution pricing is still $69, including for Leopard. Institutional pricing is what departmental components of universities pay for the product.

Universities can still choose to resell Leopard in their own stores for $69, since that is the institutional price. For example, Leopard will still be sold to indivuduals, including faculty, staff, and students, at the University of Wisconsin-Madison for $69.

Mrbill317
Oct 16, 2007, 11:34 AM
I just bought my macbook on August 1st , so much for upgrade program.

DeaconGraves
Oct 16, 2007, 11:35 AM
Just thought of this but people sad about the education hike could just find two friends to go in with together on a family pack (ends up being about $69 before tax).

Probably not completely what Apple has in mind for "family" but college students get pretty close :p

digitalpardoe
Oct 16, 2007, 11:35 AM
With regards to educational pricing, here in the UK we were only getting a £10 discount through the Apple Eduction Store website but when I logged on through the universities wireless network the discount available increased to £25.

rmapple
Oct 16, 2007, 11:36 AM
Just thought of this but people sad about the education hike could just find two friends to go in with together on a family pack (ends up being about $69 before tax).

Probably not completely what Apple has in mind for "family" but college students get pretty close :p

Good option, but still sucks....really suckss

filmfanatic24
Oct 16, 2007, 11:36 AM
I would like to call them (Apple) to know when, but I'm at work right now. Cause if you take the up to date program, you have to wait and get your computer first (if you order it right now) before ordering Leopard cause you need the serial number.

True, I just wanted to get it pre-loaded just for simplicity sake, but if it is going to be mid-November or December I'll just buy the iMac today and get it for $9.99 and install it myself.

jeff_siler
Oct 16, 2007, 11:37 AM
I bought a refurbished Macbook pro on octuber 9th (not delivered yet). Do you think I will get a leopard copy? If not, do refurbished machines qualify for Leopard up-to-date program?

I have the same question. I ordered a mac book pro refurbished model last night. Should I cancel and just buy a new one?

Jeff

gwangung
Oct 16, 2007, 11:37 AM
The academic pricing kinda sucks (though folks should check at their individual colleges to see if there are local discounts). But I can't bitch that much--a) it's their pricing, and b) I'm a working person....

Well, the hardware discount is still considerable...

flopticalcube
Oct 16, 2007, 11:38 AM
Dammit and dammit.

My MacBook Pro shipped Sept 22nd, nine days too early for the upgrade.

And I'm a university student, so $69 didn't seem too bad if I missed the $9.95 window.

Sigh. I guess it's Tiger for me for a while still.

Call them and ask. Some people who purchased in late August are claiming they are getting the $9.95 upgrade by calling Apple.

Probably not. Refurbs ship with the original OS they came with. You could always call them and ask.

Eidorian
Oct 16, 2007, 11:40 AM
Education institution pricing is still $69, including for Leopard. Institutional pricing is what departmental components of universities pay for the product.

Universities can still choose to resell Leopard in their own stores for $69, since that is the institutional price. For example, Leopard will still be sold to indivuduals, including faculty, staff, and students, at the University of Wisconsin-Madison for $69.Once again I can confirm this.

filmfanatic24
Oct 16, 2007, 11:41 AM
Just got off the phone with Apple Store, rep said that orders of iMacs and Laptops made on October 26th WILL ship with Leopard pre-loaded.

ILOVEMYMBP2.2g
Oct 16, 2007, 11:42 AM
If i order today, are they saying that it will be delievered to my doorstep on the 26th or will it just ship on the 26th?

D3nZ
Oct 16, 2007, 11:43 AM
True, I just wanted to get it pre-loaded just for simplicity sake, but if it is going to be mid-November or December I'll just buy the iMac today and get it for $9.99 and install it myself.

Yeah, I guess another week won't hurt if I have to wait. I might give them a call after work and see what they say cause on the specification sheet they still say it comes with Tiger so, my guess is that they will not come equiped with it right away, maybe on the 26th. Cause if you do all the steps to buy one, it never says anything about Leopard beeing in it. I am actually surprised no one has called them about that or mentionned anything about when the computers would be loaded with Leopard, well at least not any site I've been on.

D3nZ
Just got off the phone with Apple Store, rep said that orders of iMacs and Laptops made on October 26th WILL ship with Leopard pre-loaded.

Nice! Thx

DeaconGraves
If i order today, are they saying that it will be delievered to my doorstep on the 26th or will it just ship on the 26th?

From Apple: "Pre-order today and get free delivery ON October 26, 2007."

Below this is says: "Ships: Delivers ON October 26."

3D-Troll
Oct 16, 2007, 11:44 AM
(I got two copies of Vista Business Edition for free, completely legally from my department at school.)

I don't know how legal that was. Here at UofM they stress that the Business Edition is only for university owned computers. For personal machines you have to buy something else - not sure which version.

Steffen

rev.emilio
Oct 16, 2007, 11:45 AM
yeah, the educational pricing is a big disappointment... i'm not a student anymore, but any dollar helps when you're a student.

the biggest disappointment is the low-cost upgrade window - a shooddy few weeks? what happened to months?! i managed to convince my bosses to let me buy an iMac for work, and i bought it believing in Apple's track record for 2-3 months of an upgrade window. now i'll never get them to spend $129 on a software upgrade. whoops.

all my coworkers who have a vague interest in purchasing a Mac really wanted to see 10.5, too. whoops. (Apple's "whoops" that time.)

i know 10.5 is supposed to be the biggest upgrade since... well, 10.4, probably... but this is the wrong move if they're trying to keep hardware sales steady. springing changes like this will just mean that folks will be more hesitant to buy anything if there's a rumored upgrade on the horizon. Apple tries to cap leaks partially for this reason, but their own business practices will just make people tighter with their wallets.

- emilio

Eidorian
Oct 16, 2007, 11:46 AM
Just got off the phone with Apple Store, rep said that orders of iMacs and Laptops made on October 26th WILL ship with Leopard pre-loaded.This should be easy.

The last shipment to the store will be the pre-imaged machines with Leopard.

the biggest disappointment is the low-cost upgrade window - a shooddy few weeks? what happened to months?! i managed to convince my bosses to let me buy an iMac for work, and i bought it believing in Apple's track record for 2-3 months of an upgrade window. now i'll never get them to spend $129 on a software upgrade. whoops.Who told you months? At best I've seen two weeks being tossed around.

ILOVEMYMBP2.2g
so you still didnt answer my question, does that mean delivered or delivers on the 26th, which one?

msharp

Universities can still choose to resell Leopard in their own stores for $69, since that is the institutional price. For example, Leopard will still be sold to indivuduals, including faculty, staff, and students, at the University of Wisconsin-Madison for $69.

That's good news.... at least I can try get it from our university apple store at $69 :-)

Mac OS X Ocelot
Oct 16, 2007, 11:47 AM

Nice. Family Packs are for up to 5 people though, so you could get a bunch of friends to put in 40 each.

netdog
Oct 16, 2007, 11:48 AM

My guess is G4 and G5 will be gone with 10.6

Doctor Q
Oct 16, 2007, 11:50 AM
I wish they'd stock the Family Pack in the retail stores on "opening night" but they haven't in the past, at the stores I've checked.

Mac OS X Ocelot
Oct 16, 2007, 11:50 AM

That's everyone else's guess I think. At least for G4. G5 still has bite I think since it's 64 bit, but they might want to phase out ppcs.

Half Glass
Oct 16, 2007, 11:53 AM
Once again I can confirm this.

I see what Eidorian is saying...this explains why I was able to get Aperture and DVDSP at lower than edu prices by shopping at the bookstore.

Anyway, for the doubters, see below! (from Duke's institutional page)

AGAIN, this is under institutional purchases, it is up to the University to set the price.

--HG

mich8261

Does the educational license permit loading on more than one machine (Mac Office and Adobe PS allow loading onto 3 machines)?

Dr. P
I just ordered my copy on my (British) Universities network and it was £58 (approx $116), does this mean we finally have parity between US and UK prices?

tripwire
Oct 16, 2007, 11:54 AM

SL

Stop whining ;-)
It's 154 USD here in euroland (ex VAT)
What REALLY pisses me off is that Apple did reduce prices in Canada.
Which proves all the b*llsh*t from Apple about 'higher cost of doing business in Europe' is just that, b*llsh*t.

christf10
Oct 16, 2007, 11:55 AM
My question about this is, Does Leopard ship on the 26th or will it be at my house on the 26th?

I went on the apple store site and got to the delivery options. It said that free delivery would take 5 business days. There was no option for same day delivery. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Eidorian
Oct 16, 2007, 11:57 AM
I see what Eidorian is saying...this explains why I was able to get Aperture and DVDSP at lower than edu prices by shopping at the bookstore.

Anyway, for the doubters, see below! (from Duke's institutional page)

AGAIN, this is under institutional purchases, it is up to the University to set the price.

--HGHere's from my institutional page.

Did you have to navigate into software? The main page only displays Macs and iPods still.

Naimfan
Oct 16, 2007, 11:57 AM
Wow--looks like the military discount may be better than the student one!

StuPidQPid
Oct 16, 2007, 12:01 PM

Yes, I checked our store and it's the same here.
Of course the big problem with this is that - correct me if I'm wrong - you have to install it on a university owned machine.

hob
Oct 16, 2007, 12:03 PM
In the UK, Leopard is £84. Choosing education discount makes it 74.50.

IF YOU ARE A UNIVERSITY STUDENT

Click on "Education Store" and choose "Apple Store for Higher Education". This is only accessible from computers on-campus (they can tell with IP addresses).

And you will get it for about £55

I assume this is the same in the States.

DeaconGraves
Oct 16, 2007, 12:03 PM
My question about this is, Does Leopard ship on the 26th or will it be at my house on the 26th?

I went on the apple store site and got to the delivery options. It said that free delivery would take 5 business days. There was no option for same day delivery. Anyone have thoughts on this?

This has been answered about 30 times in the past two days. Delivery "on" the 26th means exactly what it says.

People who pre-ordered tiger received their copies even before the retail stores were selling it.

blehpunk
Oct 16, 2007, 12:07 PM
this education pricing kinda stinks. but since my partner and i need to put it on both of our macbook pros and our imac, i need at least 3 licenses (yes, we are both college students). Why is there never any education discount on Family packs? My university is super tiny, and the store barely carries books, let alone software. Luckily the man who owns Smalldog is on the university's board so i think we get extra discounts from there.

christf10
Oct 16, 2007, 12:11 PM
This has been answered about 30 times in the past two days. Delivery "on" the 26th means exactly what it says.

People who pre-ordered tiger received their copies even before the retail stores were selling it.

I had just called the apple store I was told differently. I am confused now. Anyway based on past experiences has any had trouble going into an apple store on release day and getting a copy?

damienvfx
Oct 16, 2007, 12:12 PM
I'm really sorry that not all of you will not be getting the reduced rate for Leopard. But, honestly, you all knew Leopard was coming out in October, so I don't feel too bad for you.

On to my question: Will it be faster to purchase Leopard at a retail store, or to purchase it online and have it shipped to me?

Peace
Oct 16, 2007, 12:14 PM
I'm really sorry that not all of you will not be getting the reduced rate for Leopard. But, honestly, you all knew Leopard was coming out in October, so I don't feel too bad for you.

On to my question: Will it be faster to purchase Leopard at a retail store, or to purchase it online and have it shipped to me?

It's been my experience ordering from the online store gets delivered on the release date and sometimes a day before.

pale9
Oct 16, 2007, 12:16 PM
after all, we have waited a looooong time for leopard.

ObsidianIce
Oct 16, 2007, 12:18 PM
yeah, the educational pricing is a big

the biggest disappointment is the low-cost upgrade window - a shooddy few weeks? what happened to months?! i managed to convince my bosses to let me buy an iMac for work, and i bought it believing in Apple's track record for 2-3 months of an upgrade window. now i'll never get them to spend $129 on a software upgrade. whoops.

- emilio

The last few OS Releases have not had months worth of low cost upgrade windows...I believe the "up to date" date started from the actual day the OS was announced.

hob
Oct 16, 2007, 12:18 PM

Interesting.

U.S Store:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2040/1589871428_c01a197823.jpg?v=0

U.K Store:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2302/1588984893_33883190ce.jpg?v=0

DaBrain
Oct 16, 2007, 12:19 PM

That's pretty good, so what are all of you crying over?

:eek:

mklos
Oct 16, 2007, 12:20 PM

HUH? What makes you think you would ever begin to get a discount? Maybe Apple should just give everyone who bought a Mac since Tiger was released a small discount.

hob
Oct 16, 2007, 12:21 PM
this education pricing kinda stinks. but since my partner and i need to put it on both of our macbook pros and our imac, i need at least 3 licenses (yes, we are both college students). Why is there never any education discount on Family packs? My university is super tiny, and the store barely carries books, let alone software. Luckily the man who owns Smalldog is on the university's board so i think we get extra discounts from there.

Please see my above post (no. 52). Although I realise there's still not discounts on Family Packs. That sucks.

cobravap
Oct 16, 2007, 12:22 PM
Here is what happened to my college's webstore: (University of Illinois - Urbana/Champaign)

Apple Distribution Policy Changes

Monday October 8, 2007 4:58 AM

Apple recently modified their distribution policy for educational institutions. Due to this change, WebStore will no longer be able to distribute Tiger, iLife, iWork, QuickTime Pro, or the Apple Maintenance Program (AMP) to students.

WebStore will still maintain any current AMP subscriptions and, when new versions of Apple products are released, will notify current subscribers in the AMP program with download/media purchase information.

We apologize for this reduction in service and hope to be able to offer Apple products to students again in the future.

Please direct any questions to webstore@uiuc.edu.

Their AMP program was $65 which i should have bought now, but i figured it was only $4 more if i waited to buy it from apple. But now looks like i lost out and have to buy at $119.

iPhil
Oct 16, 2007, 12:22 PM
From Apple: "Pre-order today and get free delivery ON October 26, 2007."

Below this is says: "Ships: Delivers ON October 26."

It all depends on your location if you get leopard on 10/26/07.. like me i'm like 2.5 hours away from Apple west warehouse.. If you don't get the leopard box in your hands on 10/26/07 by mail then best bet is the retail store ..

All orders will ship on 10/26/07 .. retail apple stores will get them first the resellers locations will start to get them little bit after 10/26/07....,..

Doctor Q
Oct 16, 2007, 12:24 PM
We can pay $129 now, and then after Apple drops the Leopard price by $200 they'll send us $100 rebates. :)

kwfl
i am from UK and i bought a qualifying mac, however i see that only people in the US get the 10Bucks legit leopard

anyone knows about uk, i cant find anything on the website.

cparker
Posted this in the first Leopard thread, probably better fitting here:

You may still be able to get the old $69 educational discount price for Leopard, but you *need* to call your local Apple educational sales representative. I just did, and got it pre-ordered for $69. The woman I spoke with didn't even know about the $116 pricing for individual students and educators.

In speaking with my Apple rep, I told her I wouldn't mind the price increase so much...if the *retail* price had also jumped up $47. Then I would understand. This is just a $13 savings over retail...big deal. You can get a better price break buying it retail from MacMall.com for $109 and free shipping right now.

From my perspective, it just sounded like students and educators were taking somewhat of a hit, regardless of how "great" 10.5 is supposed to be. Let's face it: every OS upgrade has had a lot of time and expense put into it. Again, I wouldn't mind the $116 price tag, if the regular retail price had increased by the same rate proportionally. But it didn't, and that's what didn't sit right with me. Or, just come out and say "no more educator discounts" and be honest about it from the get go.

Anyway, if you're an educator or a student, call your Apple Education rep directly and express your feelings about this. You may just get Leopard for $69 after all. Or just go to MacMall and save yourself some bucks there!

ObsidianIce
Suck for the educational pricing!

Does anyone know if Apple employees get like free upgrade to Leopard or a bigger discount?

Yes they do

mklos
Oct 16, 2007, 12:25 PM

SL

Cry me a freaking river!

Dammit and dammit.

My MacBook Pro shipped Sept 22nd, nine days too early for the upgrade. And I'm a university student, so $69 didn't seem too bad if I missed the $9.95 window.

Sigh. I guess it's Tiger for me for a while still. Strange how Microsoft is always knocked for Windows pricing being so bad, yet Mac OS educational only has an 11% discount now and Windows has a 200% discount (I got two copies of Vista Business Edition for free, completely legally from my department at school.)

Maybe if Apple sold OS X for $300 like Microsoft did with Vista (the version that compares to OS X), they could afford to sell it at a 200% discount.

tripwire
Oct 16, 2007, 12:32 PM
Interesting.

U.S Store:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2040/1589871428_c01a197823.jpg?v=0

U.K Store:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2302/1588984893_33883190ce.jpg?v=0

Yup,
guess people in europe who order it will be lucky if it arrives a week from the 26th.
Then again, with Apple slim margins in Europe you can't really expect them to send it via express shipping

Half Glass
Oct 16, 2007, 12:33 PM
Here's from my institutional page.

Did you have to navigate into software? The main page only displays Macs and iPods still.

Yes, under software

Eidorian
Oct 16, 2007, 12:34 PM
Yes, under softwareLooks like the institutional page hasn't been completely updated then.

oceanmonster
Oct 16, 2007, 12:34 PM
I guess then i am going to wait and see what happens at my university bookstore. I noticed that i payed 71 dollars educational for iwork on apple.com and they had i work for 40 in the bookstore. Hopefully my bookstore will have it for 69.00 a few days after it is released.

crees!
Oct 16, 2007, 12:36 PM
$107 for my employee discount \m/ And pre-ordered!

WolfJLupus
Oct 16, 2007, 12:37 PM
Yeah, 3.5 weeks to qualify for a 10$ upgrade is kind of pissing me off. I waited quite a while to get the top of line laptop so I'd get a relatively free upgrade of the OS.

I emailed Stevey boy my discontent, not that it will likely make much difference but then again that's how the iPhones customers got thier refund from what I understand.

:mad:

thenetstud
Oct 16, 2007, 12:39 PM
I just bought a MacBook on the 8th from FutureShop (im in Canada).

I went ahead and paid the $9.95 to have Leopard shipped to me.

I went for the free shipping and it says Ships by: October 26th & Allow 8 business days after shipping date.

rmapple
Oct 16, 2007, 12:43 PM
Yes they do

That's what I thought but how do u know for sure? Any sources? Thanks

$107 for my employee discount \m/ And pre-ordered!

Apple employee?

stcanard
Oct 16, 2007, 12:44 PM
Wow, I was getting all ready to complain about Apple cheating the Canadian users by overpricing the software based on our exchange rate.

Imagine my surprise to discover its priced at $129 CDN!

Way to go Apple! You're being fairer than our own retailers.

slimsakus
Oct 16, 2007, 12:45 PM
I am new to the world of Apple, but I have an iMac and a mac mini in the other room. Can I buy one copy and put it on both? I mean, I am not a family, I am me and me alone. Or is it just simply, I must by a copy for each of my computers period? I figure some of you might know from you Tiger upgrading days.

Thanks.

MacinDoc
Dammit and dammit.

That's not an educational discount, it's a teacher/student pack that your school purchased. They allow for multiple installs, similar to Apple's Family Pack.

Speaking of the Family Pack, I'm disappointed about how many ppl are advocating misusing this in order to fraudulently get 10.5 cheaper. The EULA and the info posted on the web for the Family Pack specifically state that it allows for up to 5 installations on computers owned by members of a single family living in the same residence. It does not apply to friends, co-workers or schoolmates. If this is abused in the same way as Edu pricing was, then we will likely see a substantial increase in the price of the Family Pack in the future.

goodcow

Or you could just buy one copy and let everyone bootleg it.

The $69 low price point made it worth a purchase. At $113, more people are apt to just steal it outright instead, if for no other reason, the huge price jump being seen as a slap in the face.

They cut iPods discounts outright, then lowered the iWork/iLife discount to a pathetic $9, and now this.

Come on Steve, you have enough damn money.

goodcow
Oct 16, 2007, 12:46 PM
I am new to the world of Apple, but I have an iMac and a mac mini in the other room. Can I buy one copy and put it on both? I mean, I am not a family, I am me and me alone. Or is it just simply, I must by a copy for each of my computers period? I figure some of you might know from you Tiger upgrading days.

Thanks.

Legally, you need to buy a family pack.

Technically, no, there's zero copy protection on OSX. No keys or activation or any of that nonsense.

matthewjhawkins
Oct 16, 2007, 12:48 PM
People are saying that they are getting the upgrade discount if you bought your laptop in late august? I bought mine on August 31st, and i have contacted apple and they say that the cutoff date is october 1st as stated. who is reporting this and do you have any suggestions on how to qualify?

also those who are saying they contacted their apple store rep for educational discounts, how did you find that number? is it a person at your university? Also more dtails and clarification on that one!

matt

mwxiao
Oct 16, 2007, 12:49 PM
If this is abused in the same way as Edu pricing was, then we will likely see a substantial increase in the price of the Family Pack in the future.

Are you kidding?

Increase price of Family Pack -> even less people buy Family Pack -> Apple uses CD key in Mac OS

matthewjhawkins
Call them and ask. Some people who purchased in late August are claiming they are getting the $9.95 upgrade by calling Apple.

Probably not. Refurbs ship with the original OS they came with. You could always call them and ask.

who is claimign this is true??

twoodcc
awesome! can't wait for leopard. :apple:

bankshot
Oct 16, 2007, 12:53 PM
the biggest disappointment is the low-cost upgrade window - a shooddy few weeks? what happened to months?!

Months only existed in the unrealistic hopes and dreams of some consumers. In fact, this is easily the most generous up-to-date program Apple's ever offered on a release of Mac OS X (10.1 wasn't quite the same thing). I expected to see lots of positive votes because of that, but I guess nobody ever remembers how small the window typically is. If they'd followed past precedent, the window would have started today, not two weeks ago.

i managed to convince my bosses to let me buy an iMac for work, and i bought it believing in Apple's track record for 2-3 months of an upgrade window. now i'll never get them to spend $129 on a software upgrade. whoops.

Sorry to hear it. Every time I see this question come up, I try to correct people (many seem to "remember" that it's always 30 days or something, yet it's never been that; even this one, the most generous ever, is something like 25 days). Always do thorough research before buying if there's an issue like this that will make or break the purchase. It sucks to feel like you were burned after the fact because you didn't have all the information (I've been there).

It's too bad about the educational pricing, and I guess that's why there's so many negatives on this story. I wonder what the real rationale is. Is it to curb abuse, or is it because Apple realized that the price difference doesn't usually make or break the purchase decision, so they can get more profit this way?

I've noticed that the edu discount has either shrunk or gone away on a lot of items in the last year. It's pretty much gone now on most non-computer items: iPhone, iPods, AppleTV, etc. Too bad, but I guess I can't complain. I've been able to take advantage of it for years because my wife works and teaches at a community college, but I can't say we ever really needed it, as we weren't hurting for money like starving students. But at least we never abused it like letting friends/family who didn't qualify use it, or even reselling on eBay! :eek:

techmonkey
Oct 16, 2007, 12:53 PM
Being fairly new to Mac (bought mine in June), how does the license go when installing a new OS ? I usually get upgrade disc which cost cheaper for my Windows machines. They require a previous version disc when installing. As everyone knows, WinXP started the activation thing. How does OSX works? Is it cheaper for an upgrade from Tiger? Does OSX have a license key?

Quillz
Oct 16, 2007, 12:54 PM

Thanks.
There is nothing to stop you technically from installing Leopard on as many Macs as you want, but legally, you can only install one copy of Leopard on one Mac. If you want to install it on more than one (again, legally, not technically) you need to buy the $199 Family Pack.

Rod76
Oct 16, 2007, 12:55 PM
The academic discount really disappointed me, but I’m hopelessly hooked and pre ordered straight away.

iJawn108
Oct 16, 2007, 12:57 PM
looks like i might pick it up now if it is indeed $69

anansei
Oct 16, 2007, 12:57 PM
I just got an email from apple regarding purchasing Leopard for much cheaper with my edu discount. I logged onto Harvard's apple store to find leopard for sale at edu price for 69 dollars so it is possible in the last few minutes things have changed

BillyBobBongo
Oct 16, 2007, 12:59 PM
i am from UK and i bought a qualifying mac, however i see that only people in the US get the 10Bucks legit leopard

anyone knows about uk, i cant find anything on the website.

The standard Mac OS Up-To-Date upgrade package is available to all customers who purchased a qualifying new Mac system from Apple or an Apple Authorised Reseller on or after October 1st, 2007, for a shipping and handling fee of £5.95 (inc VAT).

slimsakus
Oct 16, 2007, 01:01 PM
There is nothing to stop you technically from installing Leopard on as many Macs as you want, but legally, you can only install one copy of Leopard on one Mac. If you want to install it on more than one (again, legally, not technically) you need to buy the $199 Family Pack.

I appreciate your comments. Honestly, I am not trying to rip Apple off or anything, but like I said, I am new and not sure how it all works. I would gladly by another copy if this is the case or get the family pack. Only sucks cause I am a graduate student and they don't offer a family pack for that. So do I pay 199? or 119 x 2? Maybe I can go on campus and get it for 69 x 2. That is probably my best route. Need to see if UH is going to sell it.

arkitect
Oct 16, 2007, 01:02 PM
http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/list.html

I am wondering why Mac Pro 2.0's are left out… :confused::confused:

Mac Pro Mac Pro
MA356LL/A Z0D8 Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon/1GB 667MHz
MB052LL/A Two 3.0GHzDual-Core Intel Xeon/2GB 667MHz

MacinDoc
Oct 16, 2007, 01:05 PM
Wow, I was getting all ready to complain about Apple cheating the Canadian users by overpricing the software based on our exchange rate.

Imagine my surprise to discover its priced at $129 CDN!

Way to go Apple! You're being fairer than our own retailers.
Based on recent pricing, I was expecting it to come in at par, and pleased to see that it did.

And why are ppl whining about not getting a free upgrade on machines that they bought with 10.4? Were their Macs not advertised to come with 10.4? Were they promised 10.5? Was it even known at the time when 10.5 would ship?

Cuffer
Oct 16, 2007, 01:10 PM
I'm a student at Simon Fraser University here in Vancouver and the edu price is $115. Any Canadian students seeing the old discounted prices??

kwfl
Oct 16, 2007, 01:12 PM
The standard Mac OS Up-To-Date upgrade package is available to all customers who purchased a qualifying new Mac system from Apple or an Apple Authorised Reseller on or after October 1st, 2007, for a shipping and handling fee of £5.95 (inc VAT).

thanks mate,
i was able to find $9.95 in the apple US but cant find the £5.95 in the apple UK

anyway, my iMac will arrive tomorrow or after tomorrow, will pay the £5.95 as soon as i get the serial number.
thanks

techmonkey
Oct 16, 2007, 01:15 PM
I just got an email from apple regarding purchasing Leopard for much cheaper with my edu discount. I logged onto Harvard's apple store to find leopard for sale at edu price for 69 dollars so it is possible in the last few minutes things have changed

Are you talking about Harvards official EDU store, or Apples EDU store (under Harvard) ?

BillyBobBongo
Oct 16, 2007, 01:17 PM
thanks mate,
i was able to find $9.95 in the apple US but cant find the £5.95 in the apple UK

anyway, my iMac will arrive tomorrow or after tomorrow, will pay the £5.95 as soon as i get the serial number.
thanks

Happy to help out. I let my Mum use my MacBook a while back and she really thought it was easy to use. She ended up going out and getting a Mac Mini since you thought it was 'Cool and Cute'. She wouldn't wait for Leopard so I was looking into upgrade costs anyway! :D

stcanard
Oct 16, 2007, 01:26 PM
who is claimign this is true??

It certainly happened with me on the Jaguar -> Panther upgrade, even though I was a month outside cutoff

Think about it -- Apple doesn't have the all the POS receipts in all the resellers -- they don't know if a system was bought Sept 30th or Oct 1st.. They go by serial numbers, what this really means is "We will offer the $9.95 upgrade on serial number batches that go far enough back that we can guarantee any system bought after Oct 1st is eligible. There are no guarantees for those before Oct 1st".

So before complaining, plug your serial number into the eligibility system and see what happens.

Omni Geno
Oct 16, 2007, 01:31 PM
Posted this in the first Leopard thread, probably better fitting here:

You may still be able to get the old $69 educational discount price for Leopard, but you *need* to call your local Apple educational sales representative. I just did, and got it pre-ordered for $69. The woman I spoke with didn't even know about the $116 pricing for individual students and educators.

How can I find out how to contact my local Apple educational sales rep? I just checked the Apple Store online and looked at my UCLA "Institutional" version of the site and it's still at $116. The UCLA Store's own website has not been updated yet and still has Tiger up on their price listing.

dr_lha
Oct 16, 2007, 01:38 PM
I don't know how legal that was. Here at UofM they stress that the Business Edition is only for university owned computers. For personal machines you have to buy something else - not sure which version.

Steffen
My employers (a Big Ten University) have an agreement with Microsoft that they can sell employees a "Work at home" version of Vista Business for $10, the only requirement is that you can't use it if you stop working for them, you can install it on a home computer no problem. I'm tempted to order it actually!

Bill Gates
Oct 16, 2007, 01:39 PM
It certainly happened with me on the Jaguar -> Panther upgrade, even though I was a month outside cutoff

Think about it -- Apple doesn't have the all the POS receipts in all the resellers -- they don't know if a system was bought Sept 30th or Oct 1st.. They go by serial numbers, what this really means is "We will offer the $9.95 upgrade on serial number batches that go far enough back that we can guarantee any system bought after Oct 1st is eligible. There are no guarantees for those before Oct 1st".

So before complaining, plug your serial number into the eligibility system and see what happens.
Worked for me with my late-September-bought iMac. :)

MarvinMartian
Oct 16, 2007, 01:41 PM
I won't order anything from Macmall (http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail~dpno~7260697.asp) again, but they are offering Leopard for $109, less than the edu price. Shipping is free but only after a mail-in rebate.

I became a Win=>Mac switcher after the MacBook update a few months ago.

I bought from MacMall because of all the rebates, even though I *HATE* mail-in rebates. In the end, I was reminded why.. Even though MacMall sent me all the applicable rebate coupons and info via e-mail from *their* sales associate, they refused to honor half of them. According to the mailed-out canned response, they "couldn't identify" the offer. Sheesh!!

As a result, I will *never* order from MacMall/PCMall/OnSale ever again. If it isn't a good price *without* having to factor in a mail-in rebate, fuggedaboudit..

Companies count on around thirty percent of folks who are eligible actually getting around to sending in the rebate coupons. Then they deny about ten percent of those submitted for chicken-s#$% reasons, which means that they didn't actually have to sell many at the "advertised sale price" yet they escape being accused of bait-and-switch. Neat, huh?

Moral of the story? Forget MacMall/PCMall/OnSale. Forget mail-in rebates. Find a good, straight, up-front deal and run with it.

ianimate3d
Oct 16, 2007, 01:43 PM
I see on Apple's site they state this as a requirement:

"DVD Player requires a 1.6GHz processor or faster for improved de-interlacing."

Please don't tell me that upgrading to Leopard is going to lock anyone with less than a 1.6GHz processor out of playing a DVD like they were able to do just fine in Tiger.

I admit that the statement above could be taken either way, they could be saying that only for improved de-interlacing you need a 1.6GHz proc, I really hope this is the case, and not that you need a 1.6GHz proc and the reason is for improved de-interlacing.

FrenchKheldar
Oct 16, 2007, 01:45 PM
For what it's worth, I just exchanged a couple of emails with someone from the Georgia Tech bookstore and even though the Georgia Tech Online Apple Store still says $116, they will have copies available on the 26th for $69 ! So I guess no excuse for not pre-ordering now :) Time to clean up Tiger and backup everything just in case ! And prepare a drive for TimeMachine ! Woot !

dr_lha
Oct 16, 2007, 01:46 PM
Being fairly new to Mac (bought mine in June), how does the license go when installing a new OS ? I usually get upgrade disc which cost cheaper for my Windows machines. They require a previous version disc when installing. As everyone knows, WinXP started the activation thing. How does OSX works? Is it cheaper for an upgrade from Tiger? Does OSX have a license key?
There is no upgrade disk for cheap, unless you bought a computer with Tiger on it this month.

Think of it this way: the box version of Leopard is the same as a Windows "Upgrade" because you can only install it on a machine that already has Mac OS X on it. This is because all Macs come with OS X already, so any new OS bought essentially is an "upgrade". So if you start thinking of it in terms of an upgrade being $129, and there not being a retail "full license" version, you'll be a lot less unhappy about paying $129. After all how much does MS charge for a full version of its OS? $500?

BTW: There is no license key.

mountainbiker
Oct 16, 2007, 01:47 PM
Why can't it be legally purchased and electronically downloaded?

Consultant
Oct 16, 2007, 01:48 PM
Or you could just buy one copy and let everyone bootleg it.

The $69 low price point made it worth a purchase. At $113, more people are apt to just steal it outright instead, if for no other reason, the huge price jump being seen as a slap in the face.

They cut iPods discounts outright, then lowered the iWork/iLife discount to a pathetic $9, and now this.

Come on Steve, you have enough damn money.

If you have a job with minimum wage, that difference is 1 day of work. If you have any job better than that, then it's insignificant. If you really 'need' something, then go buy it, if not, wait and save up.

Steve makes $1 per year (yes one dollar) salary.

By the way, goodcow, please move out of your moma's basement and get a job.

Consultant
Oct 16, 2007, 01:50 PM
I see on Apple's site they state this as a requirement:

"DVD Player requires a 1.6GHz processor or faster for improved de-interlacing."

Please don't tell me that upgrading to Leopard is going to lock anyone with less than a 1.6GHz processor out of playing a DVD like they were able to do just fine in Tiger.

I admit that the statement above could be taken either way, they could be saying that only for improved de-interlacing you need a 1.6GHz proc, I really hope this is the case, and not that you need a 1.6GHz proc and the reason is for improved de-interlacing.

You can use VLC player. Works even on slower machines.

Consultant
Oct 16, 2007, 01:52 PM

Mac OSX is one retail price for the home, home Premium, business, and premium version of $129. Most people will go for the premium OSX. (Actually there is only one version, the full install version that does not require previous disk(s) or previous installed OS, Apple hasn't sold an OS upgrade disk for a long time).

Of course, like everything, you can shop around for reduced prices. But for those people who think their ability to get a small discount will make a big difference on their purchasing, get out of your moma's basement and get a job.

techmonkey
Oct 16, 2007, 01:59 PM
There is no upgrade disk for cheap, unless you bought a computer with Tiger on it this month.

Think of it this way: the box version of Leopard is the same as a Windows "Upgrade" because you can only install it on a machine that already has Mac OS X on it. This is because all Macs come with OS X already, so any new OS bought essentially is an "upgrade". So if you start thinking of it in terms of an upgrade being $129, and there not being a retail "full license" version, you'll be a lot less unhappy about paying $129. After all how much does MS charge for a full version of its OS? $500?

BTW: There is no license key.

I would rather not do an upgrade. I usually format/reinstall. Will I be able to do this with Leopard?

dr_lha
Oct 16, 2007, 02:00 PM
Why can't it be legally purchased and electronically downloaded?
Generally OS are only useful when on optical media like a DVD, so you'll need to burn it onto a DVD anyway.

Also I'll bet Apple find it cheaper and logistically easier to mail out boxes than to provide huge amounts of bandwidth needed to have everyone downloading a 6Gb ISO image from their site on launch day.

dr_lha
Oct 16, 2007, 02:00 PM
I would rather not do an upgrade. I usually format/reinstall. Will I be able to do this with Leopard?
The Leopard install DVD that comes in the boxed version can be used to both "upgrade" and to do a clean install.

psychofreak
Oct 16, 2007, 02:01 PM
The Leopard install DVD that comes in the boxed version can be used to both "upgrade" and to do a clean install.

I'm definitely going for the clean install...I need to reinstall Tiger anyways, so I may as well wait ten days :)

ianimate3d
Oct 16, 2007, 02:02 PM
You can use VLC player. Works even on slower machines.

Sure, I realize that, but I really hope Apple hasn't locked people with a G4 out of using something as basic as the DVD player. I really hope the requirement is only for improved de-interlacing and if you have a G4, then you just will not see this improvement.

joefa88
Oct 16, 2007, 02:03 PM
Just went to my school's online bookstore, San Francisco State U, and they have preorders for $79 with pricing subject to change...hopefully means lower.
http://sfsubookstore.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/2_22/products_id/585005

etaylor3971
Oct 16, 2007, 02:04 PM
My $9.95 upgrade "ships by October 26th" according to my order placed today...

sqrussi
i have a question a have a macbook get it on october 11, but not on apple store, can i get the update of leopard?

crees!
Apple employee?

No.

crees!
Oct 16, 2007, 02:09 PM
G4 is a good guess depending on how long till the next release. If it's 2 years then my guess would be yes. G5, I think will stick through 10.6 and possibly see 10.7 when it is dropped.

jbstew32
Oct 16, 2007, 02:09 PM
Mac OSX is one retail price for the home, home Premium, business, and premium version of $129. Most people will go for the premium OSX. (Actually there is only one version, the full install version that does not require previous disk(s) or previous installed OS, Apple hasn't sold an OS upgrade disk for a long time).

Of course, like everything, you can shop around for reduced prices. But for those people who think their ability to get a small discount will make a big difference on their purchasing, get out of your moma's basement and get a job.

the trouble is that I do live on my own and do have a job, but all of that money goes straight to my school, the bookstore, and the landlord. Apple education discounts are a joke. What's it down to now? $13 off Leopard, $8 off iLife/iWork, $0 off iPods, $50 off iMacs, $100 off MB/MBP/MP?

It wouldn't matter much if Apple just got rid of the discount completely at this point, imo. (with the exception of being able to buy cheaper from your school, instead of direct from Apple)

riverfreak
Oct 16, 2007, 02:11 PM
Stop whining ;-)
It's 154 USD here in euroland (ex VAT)
What REALLY pisses me off is that Apple did reduce prices in Canada.
Which proves all the b*llsh*t from Apple about 'higher cost of doing business in Europe' is just that, b*llsh*t.

Companies rarely actually adjust prices to reflect fluctuating currency values. Even historically, consumer prices often lag behind inflation. There are a number of factors, including that it confuses costumers, cost of preparing / adjusting marketing materials, etc.

GuardBoy98
Oct 16, 2007, 02:13 PM
Dammit and dammit.

That is not a Microsoft edu discount, that is a special deal that your college pays for ... part of the technology fee you pay every year, which pays for more than two copies of Windows. =)

TurboSC
Oct 16, 2007, 02:14 PM
rejoice! now all I need to do is get an apple computer... I'm still holding out for the new MBPs...

cervaro
Oct 16, 2007, 02:15 PM
Just managed to place my order for the grand sum of £5.95 via the Apple UK store. Wouldn't do an online only order as the link on the up-to-date page gave a 404 error!

Will still wait a few weeks before doing the upgrade as I want to see how things settle once Leopard is released, software updates, etc.

tripwire
Oct 16, 2007, 02:18 PM
Companies rarely actually adjust prices to reflect fluctuating currency values. Even historically, consumer prices often lag behind inflation. There are a number of factors, including that it confuses costumers, cost of preparing / adjusting marketing materials, etc.

Nonsense.
If the value of the euro dropped 20% against the us dollar instead of gaining 20% Apple would update their prices in a heartbeat.

diamond.g
Oct 16, 2007, 02:21 PM
So the only way I can keep iLife on my Mac is to do an upgrade? I am not prepared to get iLife 08 (yet), and am using my iPhone rebates to get the fam version of leopard. I would like to do a clean install, but just need to know if there is a way for me to do so and not need 10.4 installed first.

Madmic23
Oct 16, 2007, 02:29 PM
Wow! This is the first price decrease I've seen since the Canadian dollar hit parity with the US dollar. I can't believe we're actually getting something for the same price!
Odd that all of the Macs are still $100 to $200 more here, but it's a step in the right direction.

mklos
Oct 16, 2007, 02:34 PM
So the only way I can keep iLife on my Mac is to do an upgrade? I am not prepared to get iLife 08 (yet), and am using my iPhone rebates to get the fam version of leopard. I would like to do a clean install, but just need to know if there is a way for me to do so and not need 10.4 installed first.

You should be able to reinstall iLife and any other apps that shipped with your Mac from your restore DVDs. The restore DVD has an option to reinstall JUST the apps that came with your Mac.

Aftershock
Oct 16, 2007, 02:36 PM
I live in Central America but will be in the US next week. I just purchased 2 Mac minis on Oct 10 thru Amazon.com which I will be picking up on my trip. I was wondering if I take the invoice and the serial numbers to a retail store on the 26th, can I get the Leopard update for $9.99 plus tax?

jstad
Oct 16, 2007, 02:42 PM
Apple Store (under University of Iowa) is still $115. Waiting for that sexy price drop! :D

e12a
Oct 16, 2007, 02:42 PM
lame. I'm on my university network and it still shows 116. :mad:

maybe i should check from the bookstore or ask the guys there. We have our own "Custom Apple Store". we should get it!

...but then our computer store website is down.. what gives?

bronksy
Oct 16, 2007, 02:44 PM
Hi all.
Forgive my ignorance, but if i do a clean install of leopard, how does it know what machine I am using. From what i see, the install disks that come with my laptops/imacs/mac pro all have a different 'disk 1' and the same 'disk 2' I assume on disk 1 is all the hardware specific things.. and disk 2 is generic.

Am i thinking too 'windows' and that the install is intelligent to know what the machine is, and then install the relevant applications/shortcuts/keyboards etc?

Is it better to do a clean install rather than an upgrade? Or am i thinking too 'windows' again?

Cheers!

uvex
Oct 16, 2007, 02:46 PM
Just sign up for an Apple Student Developer membership and get Leopard for $99.

Nuks
Oct 16, 2007, 02:47 PM
What are the legalities regarding the sharing of a family pack? my family has 5 macs, but there are two in our house, 2 in Halifax, and another in L.A. Is that still considered "family," or do they all have to be in the same house... on the same network or something.... If it's illegal, how would they catch it? Would it only be found out when you get your mac serviced or something?

Thanks

grappler
Oct 16, 2007, 02:48 PM
I don't get it - Why preorder?

It's not like they're going to run short on downloadable copies. They're going to make plenty of bandwidth available so that anyone who wants to can have a pleasant experience while paying $129 for their software, the minute they release it.

Or are they going to give preorders first crack at the downloads? In that case I'd guess that ordering now would move you up by an hour, tops.

grappler
Oct 16, 2007, 02:51 PM
<quote>Update: According to the comments, Educational institution pricing is still $69, so individual universities may resell Leopard to students/faculty for this discounted price.</quote>

Wonder how much longer I'll have to wait to find it in my campus bookstore...

bluppy2
Oct 16, 2007, 02:52 PM
Does anyone know if current ADC Student members get Leopard with a discount/for free? If I remember correctly, this was the case when they released Tiger...

Squeak825
Oct 16, 2007, 02:53 PM

It's not like they're going to run short on downloadable copies. They're going to make plenty of bandwidth available so that anyone who wants to can have a pleasant experience while paying $129 for their software, the minute they release it.

Or are they going to give preorders first crack at the downloads? In that case I'd guess that ordering now would move you up by an hour, tops.

um, because they don't offer it in a downloadable version? :confused:

You have to buy the boxed version with the DVD

Squeak825
Oct 16, 2007, 02:57 PM
What are the legalities regarding the sharing of a family pack? my family has 5 macs, but there are two in our house, 2 in Halifax, and another in L.A. Is that still considered "family," or do they all have to be in the same house... on the same network or something.... If it's illegal, how would they catch it? Would it only be found out when you get your mac serviced or something?

Thanks

Family Pack Software License Agreement allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on up to a maximum of five (5) Apple-labeled computers at a time as long as those computers are located in the same household and used by persons who occupy that same household. By "household" we mean a person or persons who share the same housing unit such as a home, apartment, mobile home or condominium, but shall also extend to student members who are primary residents of that household but residing at a separate on-campus location.

Can they catch you? No.

pknz
Oct 16, 2007, 03:01 PM
Currently trying to find where I can purchase Leopard in NZ with an education discount, NZ prices non edu are 199 and with edu discount 199.

sebrkln
Oct 16, 2007, 03:05 PM
If you have a job with minimum wage, that difference is 1 day of work. If you have any job better than that, then it's insignificant. If you really 'need' something, then go buy it, if not, wait and save up.

That's cute, since in Pennsylvania at minimum wage you'd have to work about 20 hours to afford Leopard. I suppose that's your conception of an ideal minimum wage worker, anyway.

At any rate, the student pricing for Leopard is a disappointment.

charlestrippy
Oct 16, 2007, 03:10 PM
so to the people who said they got the $9.99 upgrade for computers they purchased in late august/september...

how did you get it? im calling and they dont seem to know what im referring too -is there something specific?
it sucks too 'cuz my bill was over $4,000 (macpro) so im kind of bummed that they wouldn't make an exception for such a large purchase?..

any advice how to make it happen?

!¡ V ¡!
Oct 16, 2007, 03:13 PM

G4 support will die off with OS 10.6, then again if you need all the future wonderful features the tech specs of a 2004-05 G4 will be dated in its own respect. :)

G5 will still be along for the ride till OS 10.7, Rest easy G5 users. :)

flopticalcube
Oct 16, 2007, 03:13 PM
Wow! This is the first price decrease I've seen since the Canadian dollar hit parity with the US dollar. I can't believe we're actually getting something for the same price!
Odd that all of the Macs are still $100 to $200 more here, but it's a step in the right direction.

iLife and iWork are also parity as are the family packs.

MacLovin611
Oct 16, 2007, 03:17 PM
Quote from my school's Computer store:

Apple Mac OS X version 10.5 Leopard -- $69.00 Reserve yours now!

Just wanted to confirm for everyone who might have been worrying about the Educational pricing that the educational institutional pricing is still the same. You might have to wait a few more days for them to receive it, but I doubt it. Our school's computer store got the new iMacs, iPods, and iWork/iLife in stock the same day as the other Apple Stores did. The Educational discount is completely different from the Educational Institutional pricing. How that makes sense is beyond me, but I don't really care as long as I get my copy of Leopard for 69 + tax :p

Wayne s
Oct 16, 2007, 03:18 PM
Just managed to place my order for the grand sum of £5.95 via the Apple UK store. Wouldn't do an online only order as the link on the up-to-date page gave a 404 error!

Will still wait a few weeks before doing the upgrade as I want to see how things settle once Leopard is released, software updates, etc.

I have been trying to find some info on the uk apple site all day and can not find the upgrad option. Where the hell is it........:eek::eek::eek:

mklos
Oct 16, 2007, 03:18 PM
Hi all.
Forgive my ignorance, but if i do a clean install of leopard, how does it know what machine I am using. From what i see, the install disks that come with my laptops/imacs/mac pro all have a different 'disk 1' and the same 'disk 2' I assume on disk 1 is all the hardware specific things.. and disk 2 is generic.

Am i thinking too 'windows' and that the install is intelligent to know what the machine is, and then install the relevant applications/shortcuts/keyboards etc?

Is it better to do a clean install rather than an upgrade? Or am i thinking too 'windows' again?

Cheers!

It doesn't know nor does it care. If you need to reinstall the applications that came with your Mac, then you can use the restore DVD for that Mac to restore JUST the apps.

Sometimes it is best to do a clean install. It really depends on how long you've been using the Mac IMO. I always do a clean install. Then you know nothing is going to go wrong as a result of something like a conflict with a file or folder. You will find that one it does ship the majority of people who will have issues here will say they did an Upgrade. You can most likely get away with doing what called an Archieve and Install. This will make a new system folder, but keep you applications, documents, pictures, music, bookmarks, emails, etc intact. As always backup BEFORE you try any of these methods.

You're probably going to get 10 different answers to this question. All are based off their experience which may or may not apply to you. Everyone's Mac is different. So their situation may not apply to yours and visa versa.

!¡ V ¡!
Oct 16, 2007, 03:22 PM
I guess no more $69 for Edu. Oh well, Apple needed to fix that. Too many people took advantage of it (reselling on ebay, etc.).

In the past Apple used to ask for a Student Number, not anymore. Too bad for those who actually are student such as myself.

I believe your order has to be made on Oct 1, and not the delivery date.

Usually 2 weeks after it has been announced, so expect to pick up with OS 10.5 pre-installed on 26 Oct. Once an OS is announced that means Apple usually includes the extra disk into the present boxes and installs it on any Mac leaving its factories after the announced date. Supplies in stores vary depending on stock and supply.

SL

I know the feeling the U.K. and Europe feels, as the US dollar is tumbling us Canadians are getting ripped off by paying more for software and hardware. Though not by much.

iVoid
Oct 16, 2007, 03:23 PM
My $9.95 upgrade "ships by October 26th" according to my order placed today...

My order says "DELIVERS ON OCTOBER 26TH"

So it seems they will be shipping it out before hand to arrive on the 26th. I guess I know what I'm doing that weekend. :)

iVoid
Oct 16, 2007, 03:24 PM
i have a question a have a macbook get it on october 11, but not on apple store, can i get the update of leopard?

Yes, you should be able to get the $10 upgrade.

aussie_geek
Oct 16, 2007, 03:25 PM
Pre ordered. :D:D

Should I risk installing it on my dual 867. I know it is within spec but will it run like a slug??

aussie_geek

!¡ V ¡!
Oct 16, 2007, 03:29 PM
Dammit and dammit.

Unless you failed to recognize that Microsoft is acquiring a larger profit from Vista then Apple is with OS 10.5. By your definition Microsoft is ripping their customers off by having a larger profit margin.

What the hell is up with the huge price increase? THANKS, APPLE.

</3 poor college student

I am a student and I also work, and I am still paying more for OS 10.5 as I reside in Canada. Still thinks its worth every penny. :)

An option that I took and do not regret it. :)

I have the same question. I ordered a mac book pro refurbished model last night. Should I cancel and just buy a new one?

Jeff

Refurbished products also qualify for the Up-to-date (UTD) offer, I called to confirm. You would be better off installing it on your own. :)

dr_lha
Oct 16, 2007, 03:32 PM
My order says "DELIVERS ON OCTOBER 26TH"

So it seems they will be shipping it out before hand to arrive on the 26th. I guess I know what I'm doing that weekend. :)
What kind of shipping did you go for? I just ordered the Up-to-date disk and Apple are saying "Ships by: OCTOBER 26TH". I went for the free shipping because its for a work machine and my IT guy probably won't let me install it for at least 6 months anyway! :D

!¡ V ¡!
Oct 16, 2007, 03:35 PM
It doesn't know nor does it care. If you need to reinstall the applications that came with your Mac, then you can use the restore DVD for that Mac to restore JUST the apps.

Actually I didi this to experiment to see what would happen, I took an iMac OS 10.4 install disk and placed it into the PowerBook G4, it did a hardware scan and did not install.

The included OS install disks do not have all the :apple: hardware files, it only has the one for the product you bought it for.

There is a hack and you have google to assist you in your experiments. :)

weezer160
Oct 16, 2007, 03:35 PM
Even if you were to purchase three education licenses, it would be more expensive than to buy three regular copies at 129. A family pack would make each copy, ironically, around 66 dollars. I wouldn't be complaining about that. If you both pitch in, 33 dollars per person per machine.

!¡ V ¡!
Oct 16, 2007, 03:44 PM
rejoice! now all I need to do is get an apple computer... I'm still holding out for the new MBPs...

I thought about holding out for a January '08 MBP release, however I decided not to as with the Intel switch the technology is coming fast and hard. By the time you feel that there is something you want, Intel releases information about another chip with X,Y,Z new features and improvements and before you know it you are holding off for that chip. And the cycle continues. I decide on the GPU factor and the present GPU fits me well. :)

Nonsense.
If the value of the euro dropped 20% against the us dollar instead of gaining 20% Apple would update their prices in a heartbeat.

Inquired about the currency rate, and the answer was that the pricing is not based solely on currency rates. However an average of the exchange rate over a period of time. Usually 6 months or more.

The price parity is usually for software only, hardware will not see any change unless the average of the CAD is calculated more than the USD over a span of 6-12 months. I feel the pain. :(

I live in Central America but will be in the US next week. I just purchased 2 Mac minis on Oct 10 thru Amazon.com which I will be picking up on my trip. I was wondering if I take the invoice and the serial numbers to a retail store on the 26th, can I get the Leopard update for $9.99 plus tax?

You cannot pick the Up-To-Date (UTD) DVD from the store. I inquired and the answer was that if you go to the store you will have to pay the asking price for retail (unless you are a student). Hope that helps.

mklos
Oct 16, 2007, 03:47 PM
Actually I didi this to experiment to see what would happen, I took an iMac OS 10.4 install disk and placed it into the PowerBook G4, it did a hardware scan and did not install.

The included OS install disks do not have all the :apple: hardware files, it only has the one for the product you bought it for.

There is a hack and you have google to assist you in your experiments. :)

I was talking about the Leopard Installer DVD, not the restore DVD(s) that came with your Mac. Yes, I know that is true, but its not always true. :D

looking4anotebo
Oct 16, 2007, 03:55 PM
What really agitates me is not only the higher education pricing, but it would have been nice for Apple to include a larger window for recent purchasers to upgrade for a small cost.

Microsoft gave out Vista upgrades for free, or a few bucks, for any new windows computer bought, and I think it lasted about 4 months.

Wayne s
Oct 16, 2007, 04:01 PM
I have been trying to find some info on the uk apple site all day and can not find the upgrad option. Where the hell is it........:eek::eek::eek:

Found it on Apple uk, http://www.apple.com/uk/macosx/uptodate/.

Not working as yet but spoke to Apple on the phone, only announced the release of Leopard today so give them time to update the site.

!¡ V ¡!
Oct 16, 2007, 04:02 PM
I was talking about the Leopard Installer DVD, not the restore DVD(s) that came with your Mac. Yes, I know that is true, but its not always true. :D

When I bought my :apple: products, I get 2-3 DVDs, Mac OS install disc 1 and Restore on disc 2 and the third is Dev Tools.

Using only disc 1 it still would not install as the label clearly says iMac OS X install disc.

Same with the PowerBook, however if you have a retail OS X disc included in the box then that is a different story.

I the reason it scans the hardware is to check if the hardware complies i.e. FW to install OS 10.4

I received a drop in OS 10.4 install disc and it worked on both the iMac and PowerBook. I had licenses for both 10.4 and 10.3, and it only an experiment and what I had mentioned previously still hold true. :)

!¡ V ¡!
Oct 16, 2007, 04:05 PM
What really agitates me is not only the higher education pricing, but it would have been nice for Apple to include a larger window for recent purchasers to upgrade for a small cost.

Microsoft gave out Vista upgrades for free, or a few bucks, for any new windows computer bought, and I think it lasted about 4 months.

Vista was released Nov 2006 OEM and retail Jan 2007.

The situation with Apple is nothing new, people have gone through this when 10.4 and 10.3 was released. Apple already said it would release 10.5 in October and including that it was from 1 Oct, I was surprised as Apple usually says since the day it announces an official release date and onwards.

stoneage
Oct 16, 2007, 04:07 PM
Generous up-to-date program . . . 3.5 weeks before actual release.
Huh? I hope your kidding. I think a 60-90 policy would be more appropriate. I got my new MacBook on the 17th of Sept, so I'm screwed.
it would have been nice for Apple to include a larger window for recent purchasers to upgrade for a small cost.
I agree with you. What a ripoff.

I called Apple (408.974.2042) and asked for Customer Relations and lodged a formal complaint about the narrow window for the OS upgrade. The lady took my info, serial # and phone number and said they take complaints seriously. Wait and see. Call them and see what happens.

paola105
Oct 16, 2007, 04:14 PM
Dang it. No more edu. discounts.
I'll have to wait till December to buy it.

!¡ V ¡!
Oct 16, 2007, 04:15 PM

Rip-off is not having the option of an anti-glare screen on the macbook and only available on the macbook pro.

I love both the mb and mbp, however the glossy screen on the consumer products are making me sick. Will not be touching any glossy screens, the reflection is horrible and distracting.

People thinking otherwise are trying or have convinced themselves to buying junk. Strange how LCD TV do not have glossy screens though some have glossy boarders.

tripwire
Oct 16, 2007, 04:23 PM
Inquired about the currency rate, and the answer was that the pricing is not based solely on currency rates. However an average of the exchange rate over a period of time. Usually 6 months or more.

That's just b*llsh*t.
The US dollar has dropped more than 15% the past 1.5 years against the euro, but for Apple it's still 1 USD=1 euro.

MacLovin611
Oct 16, 2007, 04:24 PM
I really wish people would stop freaking about the educational discounts. Everyone that I've talked to at different universities have checked their respective school bookstores and everyone has the pricing at $69. It's only through Apple's Educational Stores is it at 116. If you were planning on getting it at $69, you were probably going to buy it through your school anyhow. If you were planning on buying the OS through Apple's online stores, then I don't know why you were expecting much of a discount.

bronksy
Oct 16, 2007, 04:43 PM
so it's still best to do a clean install i guess..
If i get the uptodate disk, is it a full disk, I mean do i have to load my OEM OS disks into the system, then use the disk i get sent from Apple with the uptodate thing?

vassillios
Oct 16, 2007, 04:45 PM
so you still didnt answer my question, does that mean delivered or delivers on the 26th, which one?

your question WAS answered, read a little more carefully.

vassillios
Oct 16, 2007, 04:47 PM

how could this have been answered in the past 2 days when it was only announced TODAY??

RobMccormack
Oct 16, 2007, 04:47 PM

Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard and its 300-plus new features and innovations are coming Oct. 26, 2007.

If you buy a qualifying Mac between October 1, 2007 and December 29, 2007, and it does not include Mac OS X Leopard, you're eligible to get Leopard after it's released for just £5.95.

So I Guess When I Order My iMac On Novemeber 1st It Wont Have Leopard Pre-Installed :(

D3nZ
Oct 16, 2007, 04:53 PM
"Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard and its 300-plus new features and innovations are coming Oct. 26, 2007.

If you buy a qualifying Mac between October 1, 2007 and December 29, 2007, and it does not include Mac OS X Leopard, you're eligible to get Leopard after it's released for just £5.95."

I called them myself and the girl told me it all depended on what they had in stock right now at the headquarters. They cannot be 100% sure if they will send it with the newly bought computers as of today. But like some have said earlyer, they will be shipping computers with Leopard starting the 26th for sure.

offwidafairies
Oct 16, 2007, 04:53 PM

thank you :)
i hope this is the same in australia
im so excited im almost wetting my pants :p

ravenvii
Oct 16, 2007, 04:56 PM
Yup, pre-ordered, with edu discount (as puny as that might be) and iPhone $100 store credit applied.

Came in a little more than $25.

hellboy87
Oct 16, 2007, 05:06 PM
Hey what happens to iLife 08 after you install the leopard???
Dont tell me we have to pay something :mad:

psychofreak
Oct 16, 2007, 05:07 PM

Nope, you get to keep it :)

QuarterSwede
Oct 16, 2007, 05:07 PM
Huh? I hope your kidding. I think a 60-90 policy would be more appropriate. I got my new MacBook on the 17th of Sept, so I'm screwed.

Yeah, my wife got her MacBook on the 20th of Sept so she isn't entitled but lucky for her my father and I were already getting the family pack so she is getting a copy too all for less than the price of a single license (splitting it).

People thinking otherwise are trying or have convinced themselves to buying junk. Strange how LCD TV do not have glossy screens though some have glossy boarders.
Please. I have a PB which is matte and my wife has a MacBook which is glossy. I like the glossy screen better even though I prefer my PB for everything else hardware wise.

Get over yourself. Some people actually do like glossy better. Now I'd prefer it if Apple would use 8-bit LCD's in their notebooks instead of 6-bit but that isn't going to happen in the for seeable future.

jbstew32
Oct 16, 2007, 05:09 PM

you have to reinstall iLife. It's on the install disc that came with your Mac, or on the iLife disc if you bought it as a separate upgrade

at least that's my understanding

oh and I love the glossy screen. I've never been in any situation where it irritated me

RHutch
Oct 16, 2007, 05:13 PM

Why would 60-90 days be more appropriate? Did you not know that the MacBook you were buying on September 17 came with Tiger and no Leopard? Did you not know that Leopard was not coming out until sometime in October? If you wanted to get Leopard for free or cheap, you could have just waited until it was available.

You say 60-90 days would be fair. Someone else might say 6 months. Where does it end?

When did the sense of entitlement to things in this country become so prevalent?

robby818
Oct 16, 2007, 05:15 PM
Leopard is $109 shipped from Amazon right now. Better than the edu price from Apple. Use the link at the bottom of the page to support MacRumors.:)

vassillios
Oct 16, 2007, 05:15 PM

let's see...I can spend an extra hour driving out of my way after work...then wait in line, then battle traffic for 2 hours to get home.....

ooorrrrr I can go straight home where I will have a copy waiting for me...even better, I may get it on the 25th instead....

gee, why would I pre-order??

vassillios
Oct 16, 2007, 05:17 PM
Why would 60-90 days be more appropriate? Did you not know that the MacBook you were buying on September 17 came with Tiger and no Leopard? Did you not know that Leopard was not coming out until sometime in October? If you wanted to get Leopard for free or cheap, you could have just waited until it was available.

You say 60-90 days would be fair. Someone else might say 6 months. Where does it end?

When did the sense of entitlement to things in this country become so prevalent?

yeah, I mean, I bought my G5 in july '05 with tiger...I SHOULD be getting Leopard for $9.95 right??? :rolleyes:

RHutch
Oct 16, 2007, 05:17 PM
That's cute, since in Pennsylvania at minimum wage you'd have to work about 20 hours to afford Leopard. I suppose that's your conception of an ideal minimum wage worker, anyway.

At any rate, the student pricing for Leopard is a disappointment.

Perhaps you did not read the post that you quoted carefully enough. The original post referred to having to work one day at minimum wage to cover the difference, that is between the new education pricing and the old education pricing, which works out to be about $45 or so, which is about one day's work at minimum wage. The post was not referring to how long one would have to work to afford Leopard.

QuarterSwede
Oct 16, 2007, 05:18 PM
When parents stopped teaching and more importantly disciplining their kids and when people started teaching relativism. But that's an entire topic on it's own ... or even a few topics.

nyfinest32
Oct 16, 2007, 05:32 PM
hey guys,

just bought my first mac yesterday and im loving it so far.

i tried to sign up on the up-to-date page for leopard and its saying my serial # cannot be found. i then spoke to someone thro live chat on the apple site and she told me everyones serial is comming up not found because we cant sign up until the 26th which i know is bs. so i called apple instead and the guy confirmed that we can sign up now but my serial # is still comming up invaild and he told me it might be due to the site being flooded and told me to try again 2morrow but this doesnt seem right. anyone have any ideas? :confused::confused:

jcshas
Oct 16, 2007, 05:56 PM
w00t! I bought a MacBook Pro on 10/1 so I just made the cut-off date! Leopard for $10!!! Thanks, Apple!

SeVeN
Oct 16, 2007, 06:01 PM
no G3 support meaning you can install it on a G3? or you just wont get updates...?

Eidorian
Oct 16, 2007, 06:03 PM
no G3 support meaning you can install it on a G3? or you just wont get updates...?The installer will prevent you from installing it on a Mac with a G3 processor.

mrweirdo
Oct 16, 2007, 06:06 PM
Leopard is $109 shipped from Amazon right now. Better than the edu price from Apple. Use the link at the bottom of the page to support MacRumors.:)

I'm very tempted to go that route myself plus no local sales tax as well unlike the edu discount option through apple. However I'm concerned about the ship date being the 26th and amazon having a history of long shipping delays with new apple products. If that happens hear instead of waiting like a month to get it I'd rather pay a little more. Bah now I'm indecisive about were to order my copy :P

diamond.g
Oct 16, 2007, 06:12 PM
You should be able to reinstall iLife and any other apps that shipped with your Mac from your restore DVDs. The restore DVD has an option to reinstall JUST the apps that came with your Mac.

Thank you. I ordered Leopard, but may wait till 10.5.1 to install it.

iVoid
Oct 16, 2007, 06:14 PM
What kind of shipping did you go for? I just ordered the Up-to-date disk and Apple are saying "Ships by: OCTOBER 26TH". I went for the free shipping because its for a work machine and my IT guy probably won't let me install it for at least 6 months anyway! :D

I ordered the regular package.

Maybe the up-to-date packages aren't being sent out to be delivered on the 26th.

reckless_0001
Oct 16, 2007, 06:20 PM
I ordered the regular package.

Maybe the up-to-date packages aren't being sent out to be delivered on the 26th.

I think what they mean't was..

Free shipping or expedited?

badlydrawnboy
Oct 16, 2007, 06:31 PM
I just called the Education department at Apple (800.800.APPL) and the rep I talked to had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned the $69 price. He said it's $119 for students, end of story. I go to a very small graduate school (acupuncture) and no one there knows anything about it either. How do I get the student ($69) price?

Half Glass
Oct 16, 2007, 06:34 PM
In the past Apple used to ask for a Student Number, not anymore. Too bad for those who actually are student such as myself.

Man, I never realized how many students were on this site until they all started bitching about the difference in $69 vs $116. Yeah it is an increase, but that's the price...take it or leave it. Or eat more raman noodles for a few weeks.

Anyway, I was going to comment that blah blah blah, not everyone who qualifies for an education discount is a student. :D So don't make us all sound bad. Edu pricing is a d-e-a-l.

The wife works for a university, she is not a teacher but she has university ID. The software savings is a huge benefit, but more when we are talking about FCP academic vs retail than a $50 spread.

Half Glass
Oct 16, 2007, 06:37 PM
I just called the Education department at Apple (800.800.APPL) and the rep I talked to had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned the $69 price. He said it's $119 for students, end of story. I go to a very small graduate school (acupuncture) and no one there knows anything about it either. How do I get the student ($69) price?

Did you even read the summary of this thread on the main MacRumors page? The $69 is the INSTITUTIONAL price. It is the university that then would charge you either $69 or $116 at their store.

Otherwise the edu price is $116.

mrweirdo
Oct 16, 2007, 06:40 PM
I go to a very small graduate school (acupuncture) and no one there knows anything about it either. How do I get the student ($69) price?

Supposedly its $69 at some of the large universities like havard, berkley, etc. So It sounds like your out of luck as am I going to a community college. Only the prestigious schools seem to get the discount :(

brop52
Oct 16, 2007, 06:59 PM
Supposedly its $69 at some of the large universities like havard, berkley, etc. So It sounds like your out of luck as am I going to a community college. Only the prestigious schools seem to get the discount :(

Your school has to have a software store and also carry the Mac OS in order to buy it from them. My new school only has microsoft OS and my old school didn't have a software store.

arkmannj
Oct 16, 2007, 07:07 PM
for the folks worried about getting OSX installed on more than one machine, if you have more than one mac get the family pack, it's still a decent deal, and cheaper than even one license of windows.

You don't save that much $$ by only buying one license and putting it on multiple machines, but you do make it a higher risk that future releases will have some crazy key, or activation that we all hate so much.

LaMerVipere
Oct 16, 2007, 07:14 PM
$116?

I fail to see how Leopard is more significant an upgrade than Tiger was. And the Education discount brought that down to $69 which seemed far more reasonable.

First apple eliminated Education discounts on iPods, then made the savings for everything but the most expensive items in their store almost insignificant, and now they barely give a discount on the OS. They might as well not even offer one!

Talk about lame.

arkmannj
Oct 16, 2007, 07:21 PM
Will Leopard server be released at the same date/time
and are the price points the same as Tigers ?

powerbook911
Oct 16, 2007, 07:31 PM
If you're not worried about getting it on time, Amazon pricing is much better than even Apple EDU.

However, I want mine guaranteed on the 26th or even a day early (like with Tiger), so I'm going with apple direct.

mklos
Oct 16, 2007, 07:31 PM
Get over yourself. Some people actually do like glossy better. Now I'd prefer it if Apple would use 8-bit LCD's in their notebooks instead of 6-bit but that isn't going to happen in the for seeable future.

Agreed! I have a 15" MBP with a glossy screen and I love it. I think it looks soooo much better than a regular matte screen.

mklos
Oct 16, 2007, 07:32 PM
Will Leopard server be released at the same date/time
and are the price points the same as Tigers ?

Yes it will be released side by side.

$499-10 user license
$999-Unlimited user license

If you're not worried about getting it on time, Amazon pricing is much better than even Apple EDU.

However, I want mine guaranteed on the 26th or even a day early (like with Tiger), so I'm going with apple direct.

Yeah, I opted to order through Apple for the same reason and also so I could use my $100 iPhone credit. Amazon.com sometimes takes their sweet time shipping items.

psychofreak
Oct 16, 2007, 07:35 PM
Yes it will be released side by side.

$499-10 user license
$999-Unlimited user license

Before today I never realized server software was so expensive, especially considering Apple pays so little attention to their server hardware...

reckless_0001
Oct 16, 2007, 07:40 PM
Before today I never realized server software was so expensive, especially considering Apple pays so little attention to their server hardware...

FYI

Current MS Windows server software offering... (This doesn't include additional pricing costs, example: Terminal Licensing, etc...)

Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition
$999
Available in 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Includes 5 CALs (User or Device, chosen after purchase)

Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition
$1,199
Available in 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Includes 10 CALs (User or Device, chosen after purchase)

Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition
$3,999
Available in 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Includes 25 CALs (User or Device, chosen after purchase)

Windows Server 2003 R2 Datacenter Edition
$2,999
Available in 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

Windows Server 2003 Web Edition, 32-bit version
$399 Open NL
Web Server product, no CALs required. Windows Server 2003 Web Edition, is not available in all channels. Open NL estimated price is $399. Contact your local System Builder, OEM, or reseller for actual prices or for more information on how to purchase.

chimerical
Oct 16, 2007, 07:51 PM

I wonder how long it will be until Amazon begins bundling their notebooks with Leopard.

Valibus@gmail.c
Oct 16, 2007, 08:12 PM
hey guys,

just bought my first mac yesterday and im loving it so far.

i tried to sign up on the up-to-date page for leopard and its saying my serial # cannot be found. i then spoke to someone thro live chat on the apple site and she told me everyones serial is comming up not found because we cant sign up until the 26th which i know is bs. so i called apple instead and the guy confirmed that we can sign up now but my serial # is still comming up invaild and he told me it might be due to the site being flooded and told me to try again 2morrow but this doesnt seem right. anyone have any ideas? :confused::confused:

Having the same issue. I get a message saying that my serial cannot be processed online and I have to use the mail-in/fax order form instead. :(

evilspoons
Oct 16, 2007, 08:22 PM

Steffen

I'm part of a MSDN Academic Alliance subscription. The license basically says it's mine as long as I want - even when I'm no longer a student, as long as I do not use the copy for commercial purposes. There are no other Vista editions up for offer. This is only available to students in my specific department, Electrical and Computer Engineering. I think the Computing Science department has a similar offer, but I wouldn't know.

Using this same method I also have two legal copies of Windows XP Professional, Visio Professional 2007 (notably, not the rest of Office 2007), Expression Studio, and I can get Visual Studio if I so desire.

The only real "downside" to this is the software is only available as a digital download, no hard copies. I can, however, burn a trial version DVD and then just type in the CD key that the online system gives me.

/dev/toaster
Oct 16, 2007, 08:38 PM
Agreed! I have a 15" MBP with a glossy screen and I love it. I think it looks soooo much better than a regular matte screen.

Unless you use it in a brightly lit place area, then you want to stick forks in your eyes.

Personally, I can't stand glossy screens. I hate them so much that if it was forced on me by Apple, I might consider using a Hackintosh instead.

laidbackliam
Oct 16, 2007, 09:08 PM
University of Illinois, Chicago is selling it for 69$. 75.20$ after taxes.

This makes the 4th apple product that I'm rushing in to buy. Macbook Pro (ordered on day one). iWork (got it at student prices the day after it was announced), got the iPhone the day after the price dropped and now just ordered Leopard.

Apple, congrats, you figured out that I'm very loyal to brands. Damn you.

Squire
Oct 16, 2007, 09:15 PM

Thank you. Best post of the week. :D (Makes sense, actually.)

-Squire

valypan
Oct 16, 2007, 09:31 PM
I am from Europe and it's really interesting to read how some of you guys can get Leopard for the old edu price, but apparently only if your uni supports and resells Mac os X? That is totally ridiculous as this discrimates students going to large schools vs students going to local/smaller schools. How is this even remotely fair? And what about some of you who called Apple directly and got the price dropped? How did that work exactly? Any info appreciated

bigmc6000
Oct 16, 2007, 09:45 PM
Does anybody know if I can get the new 10.5 background image? I really wanna put it on my Windows PC at work - hehe :)

iVoid
Oct 16, 2007, 09:56 PM
I think what they mean't was..

Free shipping or expedited?

Free shipping.

fyrmedic
Oct 16, 2007, 10:15 PM
I have not read all the posts but so far NO family pack listed on the mac web site....what gives. I have two computers I need to install on:mad:

ts63
Oct 16, 2007, 10:19 PM
I just purchased an iMac on Oct 15 from an Apple store - where am I suppose to go to get the upgrade for the $9.95?

Thanks!

chubad
Oct 16, 2007, 10:22 PM
I have not read all the posts but so far NO family pack listed on the mac web site....what gives. I have two computers I need to install on:mad:

Click on the Apple Store. Click on the Leopard Box. Select Family Pack. :rolleyes:

fyrmedic
Oct 16, 2007, 10:37 PM
Click on the Apple Store. Click on the Leopard Box. Select Family Pack. :rolleyes:
wierd. I did a search for family pack nothing. I clicked on the promotional e-mail they sent me, no family pack. I looked under apple software...no family pack.....I did what you said to do...and there it is:eek:

SkyBell
Oct 16, 2007, 10:40 PM
Pre ordered. :D:D

Should I risk installing it on my dual 867. I know it is within spec but will it run like a slug??

aussie_geek

It should do it. It may be a tad slow, but nowhere near like trying to run Vista on a brand new PC. :D

kuebby
Oct 16, 2007, 11:18 PM
$116?

I fail to see how Leopard is more significant an upgrade than Tiger was. And the Education discount brought that down to $69 which seemed far more reasonable.

First apple eliminated Education discounts on iPods, then made the savings for everything but the most expensive items in their store almost insignificant, and now they barely give a discount on the OS. They might as well not even offer one!

Talk about lame.

I still expect actual school bookstores to have it for $69. I know my bookstore has iWork and iLife '08 for $39 each, even though they're more from Apple (edu).

La Porta
Oct 16, 2007, 11:28 PM
Ok, so can someone direct me to this $9.95 upgrade pricing, cause I just purchased a MacBook Pro for my GF today, and I want to get in on this :)

megfilmworks
Oct 16, 2007, 11:46 PM
wierd. I did a search for family pack nothing. I clicked on the promotional e-mail they sent me, no family pack. I looked under apple software...no family pack.....I did what you said to do...and there it is:eek:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=F6B20F11&fnode=home&nplm=MB021Z/A

TimelessWind88
Oct 16, 2007, 11:47 PM

I'm pretty sure Apple doesn't charge your credit card until your Mac ships, so check the shipping date. Since you ordered the iMac in late September, I'd say you have a good chance of the offer.

Maxime
Oct 16, 2007, 11:48 PM
Stupid question:

I bought my Mac Mini at 00h17 EST on October 1st. In my order is says 09h17 PST September 30th.

Will I get the free update?

lol

ChrisA
Oct 17, 2007, 12:02 AM
Looks like I can save a bit more than students can. Check it out Apple's definition of "government employee" is very generous and includes even some contractors.

Also I noticed there is no student discount on the Family Pack but the government price on Family Pack is something like $169.

baummer
Oct 17, 2007, 02:06 AM

Ok, so can someone direct me to this $9.95 upgrade pricing, cause I just purchased a MacBook Pro for my GF today, and I want to get in on this :)

http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate

baummer
Oct 17, 2007, 02:07 AM
Stupid question:

I bought my Mac Mini at 00h17 EST on October 1st. In my order is says 09h17 PST September 30th.

Will I get the free update?

lol

It's not "free". You'd qualify for the Up-to-Date program at $9.95 + tax. See here: http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate

ATG
Oct 17, 2007, 04:37 AM
Don't expect Apple to keep lowering/raising prices as the dollar weakens/strengthens. IT makes sense to pick a UK price point, which is what Apple has done. A $18 premium is pretty small for the UK compared to what you usually pay (remember the US price of $129 is not including tax).
It's got nothing to do with the dollar rate (although it makes it better, thanks dollar). We have always paid more than the US. I just wish apple would stop screwing us, because they can, and give us the same price as everybody else in the US. OK, so $18 isn't much, but there's no reason for it, why not just have it at £65?

gnasher729
Oct 17, 2007, 04:59 AM

SL

If you live in the UK, then I find it highly unlikely that you were charged $147 plus tax. Could you post a copy of any UK invoice that you have that actually charges you US dollars? I don't think so.

gnasher729
Oct 17, 2007, 05:01 AM

You had your MacBook for two months and you hopefully used and enjoyed it in that time. That's worth something, isn't it?

balahir
Oct 17, 2007, 05:07 AM
You had your MacBook for two months and you hopefully used and enjoyed it in that time. That's worth something, isn't it?

Correct. What if you (Mrbill317) bought it on July 1? Or June 1? Or May 1? As somebody noted earlier: Do your home work. It was a while ago that Apple mentioned October as release month.

Squire
Oct 17, 2007, 05:09 AM

Anyone wondering whether or not they would get the up-to-date discount should do what this person says. It's that easy. Apple has a batch of serial numbers it has flagged as eligible for the program.

To be honest, I can't remember when exactly I got my MacBook-- last week of September, I think. (I don't have the recipt on me right now.) But I did as stcanard suggested and my copy is on its way.

-Squire

gnasher729
Oct 17, 2007, 05:13 AM
Nonsense.

Actually, in the past Apple has been very much prepared for a situation like this. Apple usually buys lots of hedges against currency fluctuations. Around 2000, Apple's financial statements always included considerable profits from these currency hedges. So if the Euro goes down, Apple makes money from currency hedge funds and can afford to keep Euro prices the same. If the Euro goes up, Apple makes money by getting more dollars, even though you pay the same number of Euros.

gnasher729
Oct 17, 2007, 05:17 AM
I am from Europe and it's really interesting to read how some of you guys can get Leopard for the old edu price, but apparently only if your uni supports and resells Mac os X? That is totally ridiculous as this discrimates students going to large schools vs students going to local/smaller schools. How is this even remotely fair? And what about some of you who called Apple directly and got the price dropped? How did that work exactly? Any info appreciated

Some universities have a deal with Apple. They buy lots of licenses and therefore get a good price. They then pass on that good price to their students.

jamwin
Oct 17, 2007, 06:08 AM
Dammit and dammit.

My MacBook Pro shipped Sept 22nd, nine days too early for the upgrade.

I got my iMac 24" in September and I was under the impression that I would qualify for a reduced cost upgrade ... I think that is really crappy to charge me $129 less than a month after I bought it.

It seems like Apple is back on top, so they don't care so much about the customers anymore...once you bought, thanks and see ya...

jamwin
Oct 17, 2007, 06:11 AM

It is, but that is beside the point. I think it would be a lot more reasonable to upgrade people who bought within 2 months of the release.

warp
Oct 17, 2007, 06:13 AM
just a couple of questions cause i think im a lil bit confused.

i) If I buy a MBP with the educational discount (before the 26th) will I be able to upgrade in Leopard using the offer?

ii) If I buy a MBP with the educational discount (after the 26th)will Leopard included in the box?

I live in Uk if this matters.

thanks,
mike

D3nZ
Oct 17, 2007, 06:38 AM
just a couple of questions cause i think im a lil bit confused.

i) If I buy a MBP with the educational discount (before the 26th) will I be able to upgrade in Leopard using the offer?

ii) If I buy a MBP with the educational discount (after the 26th)will Leopard included in the box?

I live in Uk if this matters.

thanks,
mike

Like it's been said before, I) they can not for sure tell you if you might get Leopard if you order your computer right now, it depends on what the stock is right now at the warehouse, they have to get the old stock before putting the new one in if it's a regular MBP you might get an old version without Leopard, if you costumize it, you might get Leopard in it but nothing is certain before the 26th. II) If you buy a MBP on or after the 26th you will get Leopard, if not pre-installed you will get it in the box.

I personally want to buy a MBP also (with educational discount) but I am going to wait on the 26th to order it. I might have it a couple of days after the other ones, but I will have Leopard for sure (from what the Apple Rep told me on the phone)

warp
Oct 17, 2007, 06:44 AM
thanks D3nZ

i think i'll also wait for the 26th (or a bit later)...

btw, any rumors for a hardware update in the near future (say before Jan '08)?

I wouldn't like to get the MBP now and see a hardware update in a month or two later.. (just like anyone else i guess)

thnaks
m

tokuma128
Oct 17, 2007, 07:27 AM
hey guys. It's about leopard, but do you think parallels desktop will have any problem running on it? I have it installed (v3.0) on my macbook with windows and linux, and i really don't feel like messing it up by upgrading to leopard...any information on that? Thanks before hand:)

D3nZ
Oct 17, 2007, 07:55 AM
thanks D3nZ

i think i'll also wait for the 26th (or a bit later)...

btw, any rumors for a hardware update in the near future (say before Jan '08)?

I wouldn't like to get the MBP now and see a hardware update in a month or two later.. (just like anyone else i guess)

thnaks
m

There have been rumors on maybe an upgrade to the new intel chips but I think that upgrade as been thought to come out in the first quarter of 2008, so I would not be surprised of a MBP upgrade in the upcomming month. Personally I think maybe in february you could see a new chip bump nothing more, although you never know what uncle Stevie might pull out of his bag of tricks (new design?!?).

burnhamish
Oct 17, 2007, 08:28 AM
I purchased my MBP on 9/16 and it shipped 9/26. My S/N still qualified me for the $9.95 upgrade to Leopard. Apparently, the qualification system is "working" now ...

mozmac
Oct 17, 2007, 08:51 AM

G3! Man....upgrade your computer already. Of course Leopard wasn't going to support it.

Abominable
Oct 17, 2007, 09:01 AM
I bought my computer back in september but somehow still got the 9.95 upgrade fee? W/e im happy :D

ferrous
Oct 17, 2007, 09:02 AM
Alright, my college is in the apple store education section... the price online is $116, but to get the $69 price do I need to go the the school's store?

Abominable
Oct 17, 2007, 09:13 AM
Alright, my college is in the apple store education section... the price online is $116, but to get the $69 price do I need to go the the school's store?

I searched all over the american website and couldn't find the 69 fee. In canada, all the education prices are 115, dollar cheaper than the american:D

agentkow
Oct 17, 2007, 09:18 AM
I'm a student at Simon Fraser University here in Vancouver and the edu price is $115. Any Canadian students seeing the old discounted prices??

Same through the Apple Education store over here for Kwantlen students, but I bet you will get it cheaper in your actual SFU Microstore because they could get the $69 price.