Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Okay, where I work there is a "free, pubic" wireless network. I can access it with my PB G4, and it will show two or three bars of connection. But, I'm informed that my computer is not connected to the internet and when I check the Network control panel I'm it shows that my PB has a self assigned IP address. Meanwhile, someone with a Windows laptop sitting right next to me can connect without issue.

Does anyone have any idea why I'm seeing this behavior?

Many thanks!

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Probably because Windows waits far longer for a DHCP response than OSX does. Not sure how to get round it off the top of my head though.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Huh. I didn't know that. It does fit, though. Sometimes it does work just fine. So I guess it's just a matter of an issue when the DHCP server is slow.

Anyone else have any thoughts about how I can deal with this issue, as I don't have access to the server side of things?

Parsec

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2007
N53 E004
It might be that you normally connect to a network that requires a manually entered IP address.

Press the :apple: in the top left corner of the screen. Go to 'Network' and where it says 'show' select 'Airport' if it doesn't already say so. Then make sure where it says 'Configure IPv4' Using DHCP is selected. But be careful if it is manually entered. You may not be able to connect to the normal network anymore. U should start using 'locations'. Then you can set different settings for multiple locations. 'Location' is normally set to automatic. You can make a new location like 'Hotspot'. While Hotspot is selected, make your Airport use DHCP. You can alter between locations in the :apple: menu.

Let me know if it helped.

Later, Parsec

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Thanks, but no. Every network I login to uses DHCP. I rarely use manually configured IP.

Interestingly, I got my PB to connect for a while, then it went belly up. This is a common occurrence. Indeed, I can sometimes get my computer to successfully login to the network here by turning Airport on and off repeatedly. It's highly unreliable and definitely irritating. Hence my call for help....

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Here's something I found.

If you choose Go to Folder.... in the Finder's Go menu and type in

/System/Library/Coreservices

there's a program in there named Network Diagnostics. If the tip I found it correct, that app uses a longer DHCP timeout when connecting, which might make things a lot more reliable. If it does you could create a shortcut to the program on your desktop for when you're travelling.

Could you try that and post how it goes?

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Well, network diagnostics tells me that I need to restart my router. As I'm not the one with control over that, unfortunately that doesn't help.

Thanks for the tip, though. I'll keep it in mind for future reference.

The strange thing is that the behavior is the same as what I've seen when a router is on the fritz, and I always assumed that it was just a matter of an inexpensive wireless router that was a bit flakey. But this theory was blown away when I saw a Windows laptop successfully log in when I was seeing this behavior. Hrmph.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.