Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
I've been out of school sick with a cold the past 48 hours, so I decided to give World of Warcraft a whirl just to see what all the fuss is about it. The only MMORPG I've ever played before this was Runescape, so I thought I knew what I was getting into. All I can say is the abbreviated title of the game: 'WoW'. I have never played such a graphically beautiful game in my life. I've been playing for hours and I've only explored a mere fraction of the world.

Anyway, I'm a bit stuck. I've figured out how to walk around and fight and stuff, but I don't really know what to do. How to I get money to upgrade my equipment and such? How do I become more powerful? (I'm getting killed by friggin' wolves)

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
You might refer to this:

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/basics/firstfewlevels.html

Just keep at quests. Most of the quests will send you to the next area for questing. What race are you and what level?

I'm guessing you're probably a human or tauren... although I guess you could be a dwarf or gnome...

If you're a human head to Goldshire and try to do all the quests there. They will eventually branch out and send you to new places. If you're Tauren... gah I can't remember the name of the Tauren city between Thunderbluff and the starting area. But it's north of the starting area. Dwarves and gnomes should head to Kharanos around the level you're probably out then they start to head eastward from there.

Read the quests and you'll be well on your way.

colocolo

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2002
Santiago, Chile
You really have been playing for hours and only achieved level 2?
Im not looking down on you, but you hit level 2 just by walking around :)

You can usually hit level 3 by killing a few mobs around in 5-10 minutes.

Remember to go train every even level by the way.

pscoble

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2006
Petaluma
Yeah if you're lvl 2 I wouldn't stray from the starting area too much. You'll make money by completing quests. Oh yeah and by the way the horde is alot better then the Allies.

flopticalcube "Oblivion has much better graphics. WoW is actually getting a little old now."

First Oblivion isn't a MMORPG and second it doesn't run on the mac OS. (although it is still a fun game. However cannot be compared to WoW)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Your best bet will be to stick to the starting town until you have finished all the quests there. They're all nice and simple and will get you levelled up pretty quickly. The outside world is a lot more dangerous so finish off the first town and you should be level 4 or 5 by the time you start exploring :)

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
okay so I'm level 3 now and I'm totally kicking some level 5 ass but only if I take em on one at a time.

One other thing. My sword disapeared.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
okay so I'm level 3 now and I'm totally kicking some level 5 ass but only if I take em on one at a time.

One other thing. My sword disapeared.

Make sure you follow your quests in the starting area. After a day, you should be level 10-12 already at least. Your sword probably disappeared if you died a lot. All of your equipment suffers durability hits every time you die.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
There will be a weaponsmith in the starting town who will repair all your equipment, and then your sword will exist again :)

liquidthunder

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2006
I've been out of school sick with a cold the past 48 hours, so I decided to give World of Warcraft a whirl just to see what all the fuss is about it. The only MMORPG I've ever played before this was Runescape, so I thought I knew what I was getting into. All I can say is the abbreviated title of the game: 'WoW'. I have never played such a graphically beautiful game in my life. I've been playing for hours and I've only explored a mere fraction of the world.

Anyway, I'm a bit stuck. I've figured out how to walk around and fight and stuff, but I don't really know what to do. How to I get money to upgrade my equipment and such? How do I become more powerful? (I'm getting killed by friggin' wolves)

Make sure you loot off all your kills. Simply click the wildebeasts after you kill them. Not sure if you figured this out or not. Definitely do all the quests in the first area. These quests are really designed to introduce you to how to play the game. Also, Horde > Alliance.

Welcome To WoW!

See you in Trollbane!

Gewaltig 68 BE Warlock

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Thanks for the help everybody! I just have a quick question: how do I subscribe? Do I have to buy the retail box or can I just upgrade my trial account to a full account?

pscoble

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2006
Petaluma
In my estimation... most of the complete n00bs that I encountered were Alliance.

Same experience here it's a shame..but not really because horde are pretty friggin' awesome ;). Also when you first start playing you don't lvl fast at all unfortunately so don't worry about take your time I know I did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.