PDA

View Full Version : I converted my sister and brother-in-law

Vilacr
Apr 10, 2002, 10:23 PM
A week or so ago my sister and brother-in-law were in search of a new computer. They came to me since I am the computer geek in the family. They asked my opinion on what type of computer to buy. They asked about Dell,IBM, HP and others. Since I own a Dell I told them they were good computers but I knew a company that made better systems. I told them about Apple. I preceded to show them my powerbook,ibook and dell latitude. I sat them (computers) side by side and told them the strengths and weaknesses of all 3. They were so impressed with the ibook they ordered 2 right then and there. They received the ibooks (600mhz, 640 meg ram,20 gig harddrive,12.1 screen, dvd/cdrw combo drive) today and are very happy with their purchases. 2 more converts under apples belt.

kishba
Apr 10, 2002, 10:28 PM
wow... two converts in that short of time... good job :)

i think i've converted about 5 people but that's been over the span of a year... i keep trying though!

i think apple should offer us a "discount" or reward for converting people to the mac

macstudent
Apr 10, 2002, 10:30 PM
I know the feeling, I did exactly the same thing. I mean exactly the same thing. I own a dell too(unfortuntely), and I showed my sister and brother in law the differences. They are ordering a powermac next week.

I will be ordering my own powermac after macworld this summer. Til then I will have to live with the Dell and an old powerbook.

macstudent
Apr 10, 2002, 10:33 PM
I know that dell has a plan for converts unforunetly. If you are a dell customer and you get someone to buy a dell you can get a $100 towards a purchase via their overpriced online store. Apple should seriously do that. $100 off an ipod would be very nce:D

kishba
Apr 10, 2002, 10:46 PM
hehe... oddly enough i just got an e-mail from a friend... looks like i can mark up another convert for me! he got his sister to get an imac--thanks to my petitioning!

Vilacr
Apr 10, 2002, 10:48 PM
It would be nice to get a discount for our efforts. I talked to my sister and she loves the ibook. They have already made plans to use imovie. They are really into it. Go Apple!!!

me hate windows
Apr 10, 2002, 11:09 PM
If we all could convert 5 people, there would be tons of Mac users. I have converted 3. on of my aunts, one uncle, and one of my friends. My aunt got the cdrw iBook, uncle got a PowerBook 500, and my friend got one of the Blue Dalmation iMacs(converted him before new one came out), oh..... and my uncle ordered the 5gig iPod cause he borrowed mine so much and I got mad at him since I never could use it.:D

MacAztec
Apr 11, 2002, 12:02 AM
I have converted 4 people to the mac, but one is left in the hole....

One- My aunt who ordered a PowerBook 400MHz

Two- My Grandma who just ordered the new iMac 700MHz base model with pro speakers

Three- My friend who bought a used...Mac...Performa or PowerPC, I cant remember

Four- Some guy at Circuit City; he was staring at the mac section, but a seller took him to the newest sony vio (or some crap). So I walked over there and said, "You should get a mac"
They just looked at me, and I told the guy to come here and check this out. They had some JVC camcorder hooked up, and I made a quick movie for him on the iMac 700MHz G3. I played around with some apps, showed him itunes, and he decided to get the iMac Graphite 700MHz.

The hole...my buddy Harrison. His dad is like a PC believer, a TRUE PC believer (MHz Myth and crap like that). I showed him my grandmas new iMac, with the graphics, screen, speakers, and the whole 9 yards. He liked it, but his dad started going on about how he can get a Dell with a 80GB HD, and a 64MB Graphics card, and blah blah blah...
So I said "whats it running"
He says "what do you mean?"
I say "What Operating System"
He says "oh, windows XP"
I turn to harry and ask him about windoze. He tells his dad right there how bad he hates windoze, and how he has to reboot his computer 3 times just to get it to work, and how it crashes, and on and on and on...
Then his dad says "its too expensive"
I was like, its the same price!

As of now, I am not sure if Harrison is even going to get a new computer, because he didnt do superb on his report card. (All A's) He had all A's and one B. Hahaha, his stupid parents!

Macmaniac
Apr 11, 2002, 06:40 AM
Good job on converting people so fast. I have yet to convert anyone but i am coming close!

Geert
Apr 11, 2002, 07:10 AM
I'm constantly talking about Apple and how they are far more the superior computer over peecee.
Most of them look at me like 'what is that a mac?' answers like 'a windooz is a windooz' and then I try to explain them that windooz is just a bad copy of OS7, and that Bill Gates is evil.
They believe the second statement, but not the first.
If Apple was to give me an iMAc and an iBook I would convice people by the bunch!!!!
Here in belgium I think Apples' market share doesn't even reach 5%, it's more like 2 or 3.

But I have good vision in Apples' future.
as I stated and keep on stating, they are leader in computer market, and I will keep on spreading the word. until all of Europe has switched to the Apple platform!

There are already several friends of mine that really see the difference (by demo-ing an iMac DV+ 450, OSX.1.3 and only 128 MB RAM) they only lack the money:(
But they will convert sooner or later;)

iGav
Apr 11, 2002, 07:10 AM
I've not converted anybody.......:(

All my friends own macs already......:D

Tommy!
Apr 23, 2002, 01:43 PM
I sort of converted my dad, he bought a Sony Vaio laptop (ech! it wasnt even one of the semi-cool looking ones!) and I made him go back to an iMac.

I also sold a snow iMac to a convert... a proud day for me :)

Ensign Paris
Apr 23, 2002, 01:49 PM
Somedays I stand in PCWorld and pull people over from the PC section to the mac "shelf" and tell them what you can do (I use my PBs to help) I do this until I get chucked out of the store!

Ensign

mc68k
Apr 23, 2002, 06:39 PM
Macintosh: The Naked Truth by Scott Kelby suggests to change all the homepage/browser windows to apple.com on all the PC's in computers stores. I think he said that his MUG would go in a posse to computer stores and do this.

jelloshotsrule
Apr 23, 2002, 06:43 PM
only thing i've really done is gone into a comp usa (and a few other stores) and took the hybrid games from the pc section to the mac section where there weren't any... the apple homepage thing sounds good. or just go into stores with no macs and leave a new imac to catch people's eye.... that might get costly though. ha

sjs
Apr 23, 2002, 09:57 PM
I'm a convert. From the first time I saw a quicksilver and a 17" Studio display in CompUSA I was stunned and knew I couldn't go back to my ugly Dell...