Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayRenee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
San Francisco
Hi there --
I bought an eMac with OS 10.3 (panther -- iLife '04) and got it with 100G of hard drive, and there's about 65G free right now, but I would like to add to that so I can do movie editing safely. I went to the Apple store and typed in "hard drive upgrade to eMac" and "and external hard drive." The results were lots of expensive stuff and didn't really say external HD. A few that looked remotely like what I need are referred to as ATA server upgrades, e.g.:

Apple Drive Module 80GB Serial ATA for Xserve
The Xserve features next generation hot-pluggable Serial ATA Apple Drive Modules with 80GB or 750GB drives, offering up to 2.25TB of storage in three hot-swap hard drive bays.

Price: $199.00

Does anyone know if this is what I need? Can I even add an external HD to my eMac? Seems so simple, but potentially so expensive?

Thanks for any guidance in this matter.

JayRenee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
San Francisco
Thanks cubehacker

OK, I think I'm on the right track now. Thanks for the crucial firewire preference advice - and i can add throughput to my vocab. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.