PDA

View Full Version : ultimate driving song

job
Sep 2, 2003, 08:27 PM
Well, what's yours?

Personally, if I had a Porsche (or any decent car for that matter) I'd choose Fuel by Metallica as my road song of choice. You can't help but press on the gas a little more when you hear it.

Gymnut
Sep 2, 2003, 08:35 PM
I always get nuts whenever the Chili Peppers "By the Way" plays over the radio. That heavy bass rift almost always induces speeding and incessant weaving in and out of traffic. :D

Give me fuel give me fire, give me that which I desire!

job
Sep 2, 2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Gymnut
Give me fuel give me fire, give me that which I desire!

Heck yeah! :D

Also, what type of sound systems do you guys have in your cars? I don't really like the cheapo Best Buy reject systems with bass so loud you can't hear anything. I've got the stock system in my Mercedes ('87) and have my iPod attached via cassette adaptor. Nothing special, other than the abscence of commercials. :p

shecky
Sep 2, 2003, 08:40 PM
my friend just finished restoring his 1967 Porsche 912. One we figure out how to hook up the iPod to his factory original Blaupunkt we shall go for a ride. The song? "Wave of Mutilation" by The Pixies.

OutThere
Sep 2, 2003, 08:44 PM
Linkin Park- A Place For My Head, even though I don't have my license yet cuz my state has some stupid laws.:rolleyes:

Macmaniac
Sep 2, 2003, 08:50 PM
Some Matrix music always puts me in a good mood. Although I have only been driving for 4 months so I have awhile to find my favorite.

ExoticFish
Sep 2, 2003, 08:58 PM
"RPM" or "Mean Machine" by Sugar Ray

-or- "Inside" by Moby

there's a bunch more but i can't think of them right now.

Waluigi
Sep 2, 2003, 09:11 PM
80's music!! Perfect for head bobbing!

Here are my favorite driving songs:

1. Flock of Seagulls - I Ran (So Far Away)
2. Thomas Dolby - She Blinded Me With Science

--Waluigi

RandomDeadHead
Sep 2, 2003, 09:40 PM
Anything Grateful Dead

Vector
Sep 2, 2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by shecky
my friend just finished restoring his 1967 Porsche 912. One we figure out how to hook up the iPod to his factory original Blaupunkt we shall go for a ride. The song? "Wave of Mutilation" by The Pixies.

Really? Its kind of slow for a driving song at least for me. I would pick "Rock Music", "Isle de Encanta", "Planet of Sound", or "Cecilia Ann" for a Pixies driving song. Of course they are all good, maybe i should just use my pixies cd.

pivo6
Sep 2, 2003, 10:07 PM
Old school for me: Springsteen's "Born to Run". Reminds of making trips from Chicago into Wisconsin.

Daveman Deluxe
Sep 2, 2003, 10:23 PM
"Southbound" by MxPx.

Rower_CPU
Sep 2, 2003, 10:28 PM
The Road by Tenacious D. ;)

Actually, a good Sinatra tune is great for a leisurely cruise...

I'm getting a new deck installed this weekend - it'll be nice to get rid of the factory cassette deck and go direct in with my iPod now. :)

Vector
Sep 2, 2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
The Road by Tenacious D. ;)

Actually, a good Sinatra tune is great for a leisurely cruise...

I'm getting a new deck installed this weekend - it'll be nice to get rid of the factory cassette deck and go direct in with my iPod now. :)

Two good leisurely drivng songs are Sinatra's version of "You'd be so nice to come home to" and Van Morrison's "Moon Dance"

jelloshotsrule
Sep 2, 2003, 10:50 PM
it all depends on the mood and the current hot band in my mind.

like now, it'd probably be "heaven knows" or "blood red, white, and blue" by rise against

"overstand" by sense field can never hurt

nor can "different times".

the new stretch arm strong has some gems as well

Powerbook G5
Sep 2, 2003, 11:09 PM
It depends on what mood I am in, too. But I have to second Metallica. Damn, they just kick serious ass.

As far as system in my car, I have a Pioneer DEH-4400 head unit, dual Infinity Basslink 10" subs in back with two 200 watt amps, two Infinity Kappa 6 1/2" components in front with 1 3/4" tweaters, two 6 1/2" Infinity Reference series 2 ways in back, dynamat all around to keep vibrations down (my car is pretty old so she has quite a few loose panels that vibrate like crazy), and all my wiring is done with Monster cables. I've debated about adding an XM box, too, since my radio tuner already supports XM, but I'm not too sure if it'd be worth it or not. I end up either listening to CDs or just keeping the windows down and listening to the engine/exhaust/turbo.

3rdpath
Sep 2, 2003, 11:41 PM
i usually write music while i drive...i haven't had a sound system in my car for over 10 years. driving is the best environment for being creative..at least for me.

when i'm in the wife's car i usually keep the stereo off. but if i HAD to listen to some music it'd be:

audioslave for high speed stuff

nick drake for a more leisurely drive

Gymnut
Sep 3, 2003, 12:51 AM
In addition to Fuel, howz about "Wherever I may Roam".

DavidFDM
Sep 3, 2003, 12:54 AM
"Accidentally 4th Street (Gloria)" by Figures on the Beach

or

"Hawkmoon 269" by U2

- David

vollspacken
Sep 3, 2003, 09:27 AM
"You Can Go Your Own Way" by Fleetwood Mac

vSpacken

MorganX
Sep 3, 2003, 09:34 AM
"The Wreckoning pt. 1" by Bookmat

mactastic
Sep 3, 2003, 09:35 AM
How about some old Metallica? Maybe Damage Inc, or maybe Slayer's War Ensemble. Or anything from the South of Heaven albumn. Or some old Anthrax tunes... I'm the Law. Or some Dead Kennedys.... that stuff makes me drive to fast though, mellow is better for the commute for me!;)

TEG
Sep 3, 2003, 09:56 AM
"Faint" by Linkin Park

or "Convoy"/"Round the World with a Rubber Duck" by CW McCall. Its great because I do drive 2000-3000 miles at a time.

TEG

davy the bunny
Sep 3, 2003, 10:25 AM
"Be Quiet and Drive" by deftones

Squire
Sep 3, 2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by 3rdpath
i usually write music while i drive...i haven't had a sound system in my car for over 10 years. driving is the best environment for being creative..at least for me.

when i'm in the wife's car i usually keep the stereo off. but if i HAD to listen to some music it'd be:

audioslave for high speed stuff

nick drake for a more leisurely drive

I listen to too much music. Sometimes I feel like I'm wasting time. (It's a one-hour drive to work every day on the highway.) Sometimes I just...think.

But that's not very productive either. ;)
Audioslave is great. I also like "Full On" by Oasis. It's a good pump-up tune. I've been listening to "The Tragically Hip" recently. They're a superb Canadian band that just never broke into the US market. Usually, though, I make compilation CDs for my commute.

Squire

mactastic
Sep 3, 2003, 10:32 AM
I saw an interview with Dave Brubek, who said that he composes while he drives too... and that the structure of Take Five came from the windshield wipers on an old crappy car one rainy day.

tazo
Sep 3, 2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by TEG
"Faint" by Linkin Park

Good choice ;) I love that song....

I like techno for when I am in a car...luckily my parents don't mind :)

vollspacken
Sep 3, 2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by mactastic
How about some old Metallica? Maybe Damage Inc, or maybe Slayer's War Ensemble. Or anything from the South of Heaven albumn. Or some old Anthrax tunes... I'm the Law

dude, I used to be the biggest Slayer fan on the planet (hehe, I still get compliments from people for the oldskool Slayer t-shirts I wear from time to time [actually the only band-shirts I kept...])

they started playing some of the old music videos over here on German TV music channels on a regular basis...

vSpacken

vollspacken
Sep 3, 2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by mactastic
I saw an interview with Dave Brubek, who said that he composes while he drives too... and that the structure of Take Five came from the windshield wipers on an old crappy car one rainy day.

sorry, but Take Five was written by Paul Desmond

still a good song...

vSpacken

mactastic
Sep 3, 2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by vollspacken
sorry, but Take Five was written by Paul Desmond

still a good song...

vSpacken

Hmmm, it appears you are correct. I wonder why he would say that? It was some PBS interview I saw about him around last Xmas. Maybe he meant he worked on it in the car or something. I remember him saying that he got that time signature from the windshield wipers.... Very odd.

mactastic
Sep 3, 2003, 11:08 AM
Oh nevermind, he was talking about "The Duke". I got it confused. My bad.

One moment etched in my memory is the afternoon when Dave told me how he got the idea for "The Duke," his famous tune honoring Ellington. I'd been itching to ask because "The Duke," with its intricate twelve-tonal harmonies as rich as a rainbow, has long been one of my favorite jazz tunes. It's a beautiful and elegant evocation of the sophistication of Ellington. And it's vintage Brubeck.

The inspiration, Dave said matter-of-factly, came while he was driving his son Chris to a nursery school on a rainy day.

"You know I'm sorry but when I drive a car, I don't hear that," I confessed. "I don't know what's wrong with me, but I don't hear that. What is it that you hear when you drive a car that gets that kind of intricate thing going?"

"Just think of windshield wipers," Dave answered, his right arm ticking back and forth like a metronome. He fingered the first few bars on the keyboard. "It's gotta be in tempo. See, sometimes something will kick a tempo off to you - and you're moving and you're thinking of an idea." Link (http://www.pbs.org/brubeck/documentary/producersNotebook.htm)

tazo
Sep 3, 2003, 11:11 AM
wait a second....

I thought Dave Brubeck wrote Take Five? No? I know he performed it....

edit

from-
http://www.jazzmusicnet.com/Time_Out_B000002AGN.html

The sets most noted track, "Take Five", is also a remarkable piece.

Saxophonist Paul Desmond (who also wrote it) gives a crystal clear enunciation of the probing melody as it floats over Brubecks driving downbeat chords.

Bassist Eugene Wright and drummer Joe Morello simply sparkle during their solo spots here.

My mistake
:o :p

Foxer
Sep 3, 2003, 11:26 AM
"The Bends" by Radiohead for daytime, "I Want You (She's so Heavy)" by the Beatles for night driving.

Stike
Sep 3, 2003, 11:35 AM
"Asche zu Asche" by Rammstein

"The Great Commandment" by Atrocity

and some stuff by Megadeth :p :D

sketchy
Sep 3, 2003, 12:17 PM
Trance ------
Suburban Train - DJ Tiesto
We'll See - PPK

Electro/EBM------
Rubicvon - VNV Nation
Furious Angles - Rob Dougan

these are my favorites.. Suburban train really gets me moving.. Trance makes me drive fast... corners are fun...

Dave

frescies
Sep 3, 2003, 12:30 PM
no one has mentioned Led Zeppelin.

How????

G4scott
Sep 3, 2003, 12:44 PM
Road rage mode: "Ready to Die" by Andrew W.K.

Fast, highway mode: "DJ Tiesto, live @ eneregy 2000", or "C Sharp" by The Quest.

It's been a while since I've actually driven anywhere, but when I'm going fast, I like to have a fast song, with a strong beat...

zagato27
Sep 3, 2003, 01:59 PM
WHAT! No one has mentioned George Thorogood ?????

"Bad to the Bone" or "Hot Rod Lincoln"

The best.

stoid
Sep 3, 2003, 02:15 PM
After a long day, nothing is better than cruising in the SUV with the sun roof down chillin' to Dido or Enya.

Dont Hurt Me
Sep 3, 2003, 02:34 PM
after Sammy hagars I cant drive 55 ( jimmy carter go home) a lil REM.

jayscheuerle
Sep 3, 2003, 02:41 PM
Sunny day, gently winding road: "Boys of Summer" - Don Henley or "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" - Tears for Fears.

Long-haul through straight snowy stretches: "Snowbound" - Donald Fagan

Mac til death
Sep 3, 2003, 03:54 PM
For you late night drivers on a long road trip....

"Fell in Love at 22" by: Starflyer59

pseudobrit
Sep 3, 2003, 04:31 PM
There's one song that, when it plays on my iPod, I must drive fast. Alice Deejay's Got to Get Away.

It's something I cannot help. Hell, just the other week I was zipping through a 40 MPH construction zone (no work being done; I'd just come from the opposite direction) where the little "YOUR SPEED IS __" laser signs are and it said "80." :o

Engel by Rammstein is a close second.

Any other day when I'm just cruising along the twisty country roads, Zeppelin usually does the trick.

rhpenguin
Sep 3, 2003, 05:00 PM
Golden Earing - Radar Love

frescies
Sep 3, 2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by stoid
After a long day, nothing is better than cruising in the SUV with the sun roof down chillin' to Dido or Enya.

but i wont say it...... I wont say it......

OMG YOU....

Nope... wont say it..... Someone will be thinking the same thing....

rt_brained
Sep 3, 2003, 06:21 PM
If I'm between Barstow and Las Vegas: Sammy Hagar - "I Can't Drive 55"

If I'm cruising up through Big Sur: Pat Metheny - "New Chautauqua"

Dont Hurt Me
Sep 3, 2003, 06:33 PM
im a lil old but 55 sucked... the speed that as,,,it took forever to go anywhere. now sammy's song thats another matter.

mactastic
Sep 3, 2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by frescies
but i wont say it...... I wont say it......

OMG YOU....

Nope... wont say it..... Someone will be thinking the same thing....

I'm with ya... I wasn't gonna say anything either!

job
Sep 3, 2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by davy the bunny

heh. how could i forget the deftones.

i still think fuel is a better driving song though. ;)

rhpenguin
Sep 3, 2003, 08:53 PM
Also, Finch - What is it to burn and The Used - Blue and Yellow

Also as much Blue Rodeo as you can find.

shadowfax
Sep 3, 2003, 09:25 PM
anyone for "Airbag" by Radiohead?

"In a faaaaaaast german car,
i'm amazed that i survived;
an airbag saved my life."

:D just kidding. "Myxomatosis" by them is a pretty intense, in your face tune that works well for me when i am driving.

i think metallica has to be, hands down, the best stuff for fast, intense driving, in any car, really, or maybe a truck. stay away from it in a minivan though. "Enter Sandman," i think, is a great one for the road. i also like "Turn the Page"--their version, anyway.

Dros
Sep 4, 2003, 12:55 AM
For quiet moods- "Windfall" by Son Volt. The whole album was written while Farrar drove up and down the Mississippi.

More late night - "Gigantic" by the Pixies off the 'Surfer Rosa' album.

Both songs have an insistent circular structure that burrows in while you are keeping an eye and half brain on the road.

Doctor Q
Sep 4, 2003, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by rhpenguin
Golden Earing - Radar Love Before posting, I dutifully read all the previous posts. Sure enough, the one and only correct answer was posted by rhpenguin. Radar Love!No more speed, I'm almost there
Gotta keep cool now, Gotta take care
Last car to pass, Here I go
And the line of cars goes down real slowThat last line is clearly about traffic in Los Angeles. It takes all my concentration to avoid tapping my foot on the accelerator in time to the beat and hitting the car in front of me!

shadowfax
Sep 4, 2003, 01:21 AM
Oh, i missed that one. that is a good song! metallica still takes the cake though, on volume.

what about Sammy Hagar's "I can't drive 55"?One foot on the brake and one on the gas, hey!
Well, there's too much traffic, I can't pass, no!
So I tried my best illegal move
Well, baby, black and white come and touched my groove again!
Gonna write me up a 125
Post my face wanted dead or alive
Take my license, all that jive
I can't drive 55! Oh No!
Uh!

So I signed my name on number 24, hey!
Yeah the judge said, "Boy, just one more
We're gonna throw your ass in the city joint"
Looked me in the eye, said, "You get my point?"
I said Yea!, Oh yea!
Write me up a 125
I can't drive 55!

Oh, yea!

I can't drive 55!
I can't drive 55!
I can't drive 55!
I can't drive 55!
Uh!

(Solo)

When I drive that slow, you know it's hard to steer.
And I can't get get my car out of second gear.
What used to take two hours now takes all day. Huh!
It took me 16 hours to get to L.A.
Gonna write me up a 125
I can't drive 55!

No, no no,
I can't drive...
(I can't drive 55!)
I can't drive...
(I can't drive 55!)
I can't drive 55!

LethalWolfe
Sep 4, 2003, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by Doctor Q
Before posting, I dutifully read all the previous posts. Sure enough, the one and only correct answer was posted by rhpenguin. Radar Love!That last line is clearly about traffic in Los Angeles. It takes all my concentration to avoid tapping my foot on the accelerator in time to the beat and hitting the car in front of me!

I agree it's Radar Love. I was driving cross country a few years ago and after about 10hrs behind the wheel I was startin' to drift off and I started lookin' for a place to sack out for the night. Radar Love started playing on the radio and it was like someone popped in a fresh battery. I dropped the windows, gunned it and down the deserted highways I zippd for another 2 hrs. Somethin' 'bout that song is magical.

Lethal

mrjamin
Sep 4, 2003, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by davy the bunny

i'm glad someone mentioned deftones! I'd definately agree with you on that one. I'd also say either Around the Fur, Bored or Pink Maggit are some of the best driving songs

Bengt77
Sep 4, 2003, 05:28 AM
...(and I don't even have my driver's license - yet) just has to be anything by Placebo. (And I don't mean the song anything, but just any song.)

The Lost Highway soundtrack does some magic too, by the way. Anyone here who has it? It just has to be one of the best soundtracks ever brought out, with David Bowie, Lou Reed, Rammstein, Marylin Manson, Angelo Badalamenti (the guy who's written the scores to almost all of David Lynch's films), Smashing Pumpkins. It's just crazy.

Radar Love is pretty cool too, though. Funny to see a Dutch band mentioned here.

:)

Squire
Sep 4, 2003, 08:25 AM
First, I must remind you that your response must be in the form of a question.

Answer: Sammy Hagar drove this exotic sports car in the video for "I can't Drive 55."

<start music...cut to commercial.>

Squire

scem0
Sep 4, 2003, 08:26 AM
What is that song that goes

'When I drive my car I staaaaaaaay in my laaaaaaaane,

[[[[2 minutes later]]]]

Drivers are rude,
such attitude,
when I show my piece,
complaints cease,
somehow I
something something something
you stupid goddamn dumb**** ****************!'

:D I love that song :D

Its bad habit by the offspring, now that I think about it :).

scem0

rhpenguin
Sep 4, 2003, 07:18 PM
Offsprings whole cd Smash was a friggin great cd. From start to end its one of those cds that you can just listen to with no skipping.

King Cobra
Sep 4, 2003, 07:41 PM
Queens Of The Stone Age - Go With The Flow (you may want to skip the very last part of the song...)

Foo Fighters - Low (sort of)

Dredg - Same Ol' Road (hard rock, if you never heard it before and want to, you'll be surprised)

Enigma - The Sadness
Tranquil, soft melody, soft voices
For those who have never played an Enigma song and like music between the ranges of [insert one extreme here] and [insert opposite extreme here], give this song just one listen in full.

SumDumGuy
Sep 4, 2003, 08:10 PM
For just drivin' and chillin' you can't beat "Above" by Mad Season...just throw in the CD and let the whole thing play. Look it up, that CD rules the earth.

For playing loud and tailgating the jerk in front of me who is only going 30 in a 70 mph zone, I toss in some Sepultura "Roots", Mudvayne, or anything else that gets you just downright pissed.

RobVanDam
Sep 4, 2003, 08:15 PM
Anything with a good beat is a good driving song IMO.

Although, I always have Ludacris's Word Of Mouf CD in my visor in case I'm stuck behind some moron on a two lane road.

Durandal7
Sep 4, 2003, 08:39 PM
The score that plays during the lobby shootout in the Matrix.

rhpenguin
Sep 4, 2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Durandal7
The score that plays during the lobby shootout in the Matrix.

Propeller Heads - Spybreak

Durandal7
Sep 4, 2003, 08:49 PM
Propeller Heads - Spybreak
That's the one, I couldn't remember the name.

That song will get you going :D

Doctor Q
Sep 4, 2003, 10:20 PM
It's fun to drive while listening to Born to be Wild by Steppenwolf. The song I'm in Love With my Car by Queen is pretty funny, but not really a good driving song.

job
Sep 4, 2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by RobVanDam
Although, I always have Ludacris's Word Of Mouf CD in my visor in case I'm stuck behind some moron on a two lane road.

I can think of one certain song from that album which comes to mind....

'move b....' ;)

Squire
Sep 4, 2003, 11:06 PM
Offsprings whole cd Smash was a friggin great cd. From start to end its one of those cds that you can just listen to with no skipping.

That should be a new thread. I was JUST thinking the same thing.

I listened to "Under the Table and Dreaming," by the Dave Matthews Band. Same deal- straight through. Oh, except for "JimiThing." I played that one twice. It's a good driving song, too.

Here are five that just came to my head:

Full On (Oasis)
Monkey Wrench (Foo Fighters)
Even Flow (Pearl Jam)
Outshined (Soundgarden)
Hash Pipe (Weezer)

Squire

applemacdude
Jun 24, 2004, 11:50 PM
"Asche Zu Azche" -Rammstein
'Sonne" -Rammstein
"Kokain" -Rammstein
"Exhibit 13 - Mandelbrot, No. 4 (Hidden Track)" -Blue Man Group

alxths
Jun 25, 2004, 02:04 AM
i think a distinction needs to be made between mellow driving songs and REAL driving songs!

As for the latter, a Deftones tune that ususally seems fitting whle i drive is 'engine no. 9,' at least i think that's what it's called.. haven't listened to that cd in awhile.

Paranoid, by black sabbath is another great one... a long with too many zeppelin tunes to name ;)

kettle
Jun 25, 2004, 03:37 AM
... up to and especially the Black Album.

Try Accelerated Evolution by the Devin Townsend Band.

or anything by Devin Townsend (http://www.hevydevy.com/dt_discography.html) or Strapping Young Lad.

Nermal
Jun 25, 2004, 04:45 AM
*ahem*

"Road Rage" by Catatonia

:p :p :eek:

fingers
Jun 25, 2004, 04:55 AM
"Highway to Hell" by AC/DC (The whole album is great for driving.)
"The Rover" by Led Zep (Physical Graffitti)
"Just in Case" by Jaheim - the Dubaholics remix
"MasterBlaster" by Stevie Wonder (great summer driving tune)
Early Police or Sting - "Fields of Gold", "Fragile", "Roxanne"
"Babylon" by David Gray
"One" by U2
Anything by Bob Marley or Eek -A- Mouse
"Free Bird" - "Sweet Home Alabama" - Lynrd Skynrd
I listen to a lot of audio books too - HH Dalai Lama - "Stages of meditation" or Eckhart Tolle's "The Power of Now"
"The Chain" by Fleetwood Mac - for UK F1 fans ;-)

fingers
Jun 25, 2004, 04:58 AM
*ahem*

"Road Rage" by Catatonia

:p :p :eek:

Yeah - Top Tune :)

edesignuk
Jun 25, 2004, 05:21 AM
"Motorhead - Ace of Spades"
There's just something about it that when it's on it makes you drive aggressively and fast! :D

"Cardigans - Loosing My Favourite Game" :cool:

Nermal
Jun 25, 2004, 05:31 AM
"Cardigans - Loosing My Favourite Game" :cool:

I have a sudden urge to listen to that now :eek:. For some reason I'm currently listening to Shakira :confused:

jimsowden
Jun 25, 2004, 07:40 AM
How about "Song 2" or "Crazy beat" by Blur or Fatboyslim's remix of "Magic Carpet Ride" or "Ballroom BLitz" by Sweet.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 25, 2004, 07:45 AM
it all depends on the mood and the current hot band in my mind.

exactly - although right now I'm thinking Sanctuary by the Call would be great :D

Ask me tomorrow and it will be different...

D

Squire
Jun 25, 2004, 07:51 AM
"Baby, Cool Your Jets" by the Jet Set Satellites. Good tune. That reminds me, anything off the JET album. "Local God" by Everclear is good for the road, too.

Squire

bella
Jun 25, 2004, 08:04 AM
How about "Song 2" or "Crazy beat" by Blur or Fatboyslim's remix of "Magic Carpet Ride" or "Ballroom BLitz" by Sweet.

I have to completely agree with all of these! Really though it depends on my mood. What ever I end up listening to is played really really loud!

MattG
Jun 25, 2004, 08:31 AM
Good thread :)

"War" by Joe Satriani

question fear
Jun 25, 2004, 09:21 AM
red light runner, from the old, obscure, but good excuse 17.
also, "the getaway" by ten foot pole.
best song ever for racing down the highway 3-4 hours into a trip.

bella
Jun 25, 2004, 09:25 AM
Ok I was wrong I came across the ultimate driving song - can't believe I forgot about it..... While all the other songs before mentioned I think this is the best....

Breath by Telepopmusik off the Genic World album

WICKED song! Definately increases speed, provides a nice ssmooth rythym for lane weaving and gaining time :p

MongoTheGeek
Jun 25, 2004, 09:52 AM
How about "Truck Driving Song" by Weird Al...
"Convoy" by ...
"Ride of the Valykyries" by Wagner

musicpyrite
Jun 25, 2004, 11:02 AM
Stupify - Disturbed
The Only - Static-X
Superstar - Saliva

:cool:

rock6079
Jun 25, 2004, 12:47 PM
Anything Grateful Dead

amen

oh and anything Phish

ziwi
Jun 25, 2004, 02:46 PM
Breed by Nirvana

parrothead
Jun 25, 2004, 03:32 PM
Well, living on a small island, I don't get to do much good driving. :( I know you should all feel sorry for me that I live in Hawaii.

Anyway depending on my mood:

Low Rider - War
Down By the River - Indigo Girls (Actually just about everything on the same album, 12:00 Curfews)
The entire album, Fruitcakes - Jimmy Buffett
Actually just about anything from the old pirate, what can I say, I am a parrothead thru and thru! :D

FoxyKaye
Jun 25, 2004, 04:07 PM
Depends on mood and traffic conditions, but here's a few:

Stuck in traffic: Hotel California - Eagles (think about it, "you can check out any time you want, but you can never leave")
Cruising along: Just about anything by Jimi Hendrix
Highway (over 55): All the Rob Dougan stuff from the Matrix soundtracks, the Moby DJ mixes are also good here too - sometimes when I'm listening to this stuff I'll look down at the speedometer and be approaching 85 without realizing it. :eek:

I also have songs for the commute via public transit (BART, MUNI, AC Transit - all SF Bay Area), which somewhat depend on my mood and how many people are trying to jam into the bus or train with me:

Good mood/little crowding: My 2 Gigs of '80s music on my iPod, or a choice ambient selection
Bad mood/lots of people and crowding: This is the New ***** - Marilyn Manson

mac_gal
Jun 25, 2004, 04:54 PM
I'd have to go with "One Headlight" by the Wallflowers.

Come on drive a little, nothing is forever ...

Nermal
Jun 25, 2004, 06:37 PM
How about "Truck Driving Song" by Weird Al

*shudders*

For the uninitiated: "I'm driving a truck with my high heels on" :eek:

Pismo
Jun 25, 2004, 07:47 PM
"Bubblehouse" by Medeski, Martin, and Wood.

Doctor Q
Jun 25, 2004, 07:50 PM
I found an oldie that qualifies: Speedball Tucker by Jim Croce. Look at the great lyrics (http://www.twin-music.com/lyrics_file/jimcroce/life/speed.html): :D

One day I looked into my rear view mirror
And a-comin' up from behind
There was a Georgia State policeman
And a hundred dollar fine
Well he looked me in the eye as he was writin' me up
And said, 'Driver, you been flyin'
And ninety-five is the route you were on
It was not the speed limit sign

rhpenguin
Jun 29, 2004, 11:10 PM
The ultimate driving song is Golden Earring - Radar Love, or Led Zeppelin - Misty Mountain Hop..

trebblekicked
Jun 30, 2004, 01:51 AM
right now, "speak for me" by cat power. maybe my favorite of all time was a little-known pavement b-side called "false skorpion".

armchainmstenw
Jun 30, 2004, 02:21 AM
How about "Song 2"

I concur. Too bad I'm about a week away from driving.

iChan
Jun 30, 2004, 08:38 AM
I'd have to go with "One Headlight" by the Wallflowers.

Come on drive a little, nothing is forever ...

agreed, man, what a soulful voice... i love all of wallflowers stuff... sleepwalker is great too!

mr_mac
Jun 30, 2004, 08:39 AM
How about Judas Priest with Turbo Lover?

That song makes me smash the gas!!

hehehe

Mrmac

krimson
Jun 30, 2004, 09:21 AM
on a wide open road... the mashing of gears, belts, intake whistle, exhaust roar, etc.. is good enough :)

ThomasJefferson
Jun 30, 2004, 09:44 AM
Born to be Wild - Steppenwolf

Davito
Jul 14, 2004, 08:32 AM
Born to be Wild - Steppenwolf
Either that or "Speed King" - Deep Purple

superninjagoat
Jul 14, 2004, 08:49 AM
James McMurthy's "Choctaw Bingo"

It's a song about taking a road trip to a family reuntion and talking smack about your relatives on the way. Good driving music.

... with lyrics. :D

Strap them kids in
Give em a lil bit of vodka
in a cherry coke
were goin to oklahoma
to the family reunion
for the first time in years
its up at uncle slatons
cuz hes gettin on in years
no longer travels but hes
still pretty spry
hes not much on talk
and hes too mean to die
and they'll be comin down
from kansas and west arkansas
it'll be one big old party
like you've never saw

uncle slaton's got his texan pride
back in the thickets with his asian bride
hes got an airstream trailer and a
holstein cow
still makes whiskey cuz he still knows how
plays that chocktaw bingo every friday night
you know he had to leave texas but he won't say why
he owns a quarter section up by lake ufalla
caught a great big ol bluecat on a driftin jugline
sells his hardwood timber to the chippin mill
cooks that crystal meth cuz his shine don't sell
he cooks that crystal meth cuz his shine don't sell
you know he likes that money, he don't mind the smell

my cousin roscoe, slaton's oldest boy
from his second marraige up in illinois
hes raised in east st louis by his
mammas people where they do things different
thought he'd come on down
hes goin to dallas texas in a semi truck
caught from that big mcdonalds
you know that one thats built up on that
big old bridge across the will rogers turnpike
took the big cabin exit stopped and bought a carton of cigarrets
at that indian smoke shop with the big neon smoke rings
and the cherokee nations hittin the skogee late that night
somebody ran the stoplight at the shawnee bypass
roscoe tried to miss him but he didn't quite

bob and mae come up from
some little town way down by
lake taxoma where he coaches football
they were two-A champions for two years running
but he says they wont be this year
not they wont be this year
and he stopped off in tuska at the pop knife and gun place
bought a sks rifle and a couple full cases of that steel core ammo
with the beardam primers from some east bloc nation
that no longer needs em
and a desert eagle thats one great big old pistol
i mean fifty caliber made by bad-ass ebers
and some surplus tracers for that old BAR
of slatons as soon as it gets dark
were gonna have us a time

ruth-anne and lynn come from baxter springs
thats one hell-raisin town way down in
southeastern kansas
got a biger bar next to the lingerie store
thats got rollin stones lips up there in
bright pink neon
and they're right downtown where everyone can see em
and they burn all night
you know they burn all night
they burn all night

Uncle slaton's got his texan pride
back in the thickets with his asian bride
hes got a corner pasture and an acre lots
he sells them owner financed strictly to them
its got no kind of credit
cause he knows they're slackers
and they'll miss that payment
and he'll take it back
plays that choctaw bingo
every friday night
he drinks his johnny walker
at that club 69
were gonna strap those kinds in
give em a lil bit of vinadryll

IIvan
Jul 14, 2004, 09:12 AM
twilight zone or radar love by golden earring, chili peppers are great for cruising

metallica fans- hows about seek and destroy

gwuMACaddict
Jul 14, 2004, 10:06 AM
can't go wrong with:

magic carpet ride
bohemian rhapsody
highway to hell

:D

rickvanr
Jul 14, 2004, 10:20 AM
"At The Stars - Better Than Ezra" - for cruising, especially at night.
-AND-
"In Years To Come - Thrice"
-OR-
"See You In The Shallows - Thrice" - for when you are in a hurry

CubaTBird
Jul 14, 2004, 03:56 PM
David Benoits "Drive Time"

Nuff' Said

ejb190
Jul 14, 2004, 05:10 PM
In my car right now is the album "Audio" by Blue Man Group.

Just something about heavy percussion and a lack of lyrics to get in the way!

themadchemist
Jul 14, 2004, 07:03 PM

Good song. I personally like Debaser and Bone Machine more.

dogbyte_13
Jul 15, 2004, 11:31 AM
Left Behind by SlipKnot :D