PDA

View Full Version : St. Louis, MO

zflauaus
Oct 16, 2007, 09:52 PM
This will be the thread dealing with the West County :apple: Store and the St. Louis Galleria :apple: mini Store.

I'm actually teetering on whether I should get it immediately. Hmm... Half of a Christmas present perhaps? :D

Go :apple:!

kingtj
Oct 17, 2007, 04:30 PM
I'm undecided, still, on whether or not I'll be at a retail store.

The thing is, my g/f is in college right now, and she may be able to buy Leopard much cheaper through their bookstore than what we can get it for in the store. (Only big remaining question is, will university bookstores actually get Leopard in stock for a Friday evening release - or are they going to lag behind everyone else?)

We already have dinner plans for Sat. night near the Galleria though - so if she comes up empty-handed on Leopard on Friday, maybe I'll end up grabbing a copy at the Galleria store on Sat. evening. Dunno....

This will be the thread dealing with the West County :apple: Store and the St. Louis Galleria :apple: mini Store.

I'm actually teetering on whether I should get it immediately. Hmm... Half of a Christmas present perhaps? :D

Go :apple:!

geerlingguy
Oct 17, 2007, 05:14 PM
I will definitely be there as soon as I can get away from dinner at my school! I'll be bringing about 10 converts to the Mac faithful as well ;-)

Jerry Spoon
Oct 17, 2007, 06:15 PM
I'm undecided, still, on whether or not I'll be at a retail store.

The thing is, my g/f is in college right now, and she may be able to buy Leopard much cheaper through their bookstore than what we can get it for in the store. (Only big remaining question is, will university bookstores actually get Leopard in stock for a Friday evening release - or are they going to lag behind everyone else?)

I was wondering the same thing. I am taking a class through umsl right now and I think I'll be stopping by their book store before the 26th and see if they are going to be carrying leopard. If they are, I'll probably get it from them regardless of when they get it. I think that's about $60 cheaper. I can wait a couple of days for that.

biggsjm
Oct 17, 2007, 06:42 PM
Galleria is too small!

As for how I am getting Leopard, I pre-ordered it. I had the $100 rebate from the iPhone and for 30 bucks I picked up the upgrade. Only thing I wish was that I could have ordered it on Amazon WITH my $100 rebate which would have made it $9.

Now if I can somehow speed up time so that it can come tomorrow.

I'll be at West County waiting for my T-Shirt!

kingtj
Oct 17, 2007, 07:16 PM
I just talked with my girlfriend. She goes to SIUE and confirmed that their bookstore is going to be selling Leopard for the discounted $69 or $79 price (not sure which one, exactly) - BUT they don't expect to have it for a few days after the 26th.

For that kind of savings, it is tempting to wait ... but on the flip-side, half the fun of these things is getting together with a bunch of fellow Mac-users and being able to bring it home as soon as it's out. If the plan is getting a big group together at West County Apple Store ... I'll see if we can be there. At least she can get the $16 or whatever off for being a student, at the store, I guess.

I will definitely be there as soon as I can get away from dinner at my school! I'll be bringing about 10 converts to the Mac faithful as well ;-)

calvy
Oct 17, 2007, 10:34 PM
I preordered and am hoping to have it before 6pm. But I'd be at the West County store probably if I needed to. I agree, the Galleria store is too small.

geerlingguy
Oct 18, 2007, 11:11 PM
If the plan is getting a big group together at West County Apple Store ... I'll see if we can be there. At least she can get the $16 or whatever off for being a student, at the store, I guess.

I don't think you can use the student discount at the store for software, but only for hardware... you might want to call beforehand. I plan on bringing 9 others, so we can buy two family packs and share the licenses (we're all in the same dorm, so it's legal according to the license terms). That makes it $40 per person!

I'll definitely be going to the West County store. The Galleria's only good for quick purchases and only during the morning. In the evening, it seems to be a hangout for those who wish to check their email.

skibob1027
Oct 18, 2007, 11:26 PM
What time is everyone meeting up at West County? Any idea when would be the best time to show up if I want to get a t-shirt will be?

giantm
Oct 19, 2007, 08:41 AM
Now if I can somehow speed up time so that it can come tomorrow.

Unfortunately,you need Time Machine to get Leopard, but you need Leopard to get Time Machine. For some reason it seems like making an awesome video should be involved. If you're smart, you'll get Leopard, then travel through time and give yourself a copy early, but then you probably would have done that already and would have had Leopard for a while now. Of course that might cause all the people in your photos to start fading. I've gone cross eyed...

Deefuzz
Oct 19, 2007, 09:03 AM
I waited at West County for Tiger and never got any freebies :(

I'll be there, but I am undecided as to which store to wait at, but I definitely have to have a shirt. I got a shirt from the Galleria opening so I want one from this as well to go with my collection :)

I'll probably hit the West County mall as there is better chance to get a shirt since it is a bigger store and all. Still unsure of what time to show up.

hsotnicaM
Oct 19, 2007, 09:28 AM
I just talked with my girlfriend. She goes to SIUE and confirmed that their bookstore is going to be selling Leopard for the discounted $69 or $79 price (not sure which one, exactly) - BUT they don't expect to have it for a few days after the 26th.

I must have missed something...how is it $69 or $79?

geerlingguy
Oct 20, 2007, 05:44 PM
I waited at West County for Tiger and never got any freebies :(

If you plead with one of the employees a little later (after the rush is finished), he or she might give you a T-shirt (they usually keep some in the back...). That's how I got my Tiger Tee around 11:45 p.m.

I plan on arriving around 7:30 or 8:00, in order to get there, buy Leopard, and get out, then install it (maybe I'll bring my MBP with me so I can install it on the road!... maybe not, though; too much a risk of bumps on the road and the hard drive messing up).

zflauaus
Oct 21, 2007, 02:11 AM
Just an update. I think I'll be at West County Saturday (yes, the day after Leopard is released) but then my parents will be with me and they said that for my Christmas present they're going to buy a Mac mini. Come on, Apple! Don't kill it yet!

brandon1040
Oct 26, 2007, 04:07 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2313/1763724393_e339a4fd9a.jpg?v=1193431031

yg17
Oct 26, 2007, 05:09 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2313/1763724393_e339a4fd9a.jpg?v=1193431031

Well that sure does look familiar. I think I've probably been to that place a million times by now :D

kdern
Oct 26, 2007, 05:34 PM
5:32 PM - there are about 40 of us in line. Not too bad.

One mother and teenage daughter just walked by and asked me what we were waiting for. I told her, and she looked at my macbook and said "Is the software for that thing?" I said yes. Turns out she bought a macbook for her daughter yesterday and no one told her about this... I told her about the $10 update cost for recent buyers. Funny.

yg17
Oct 26, 2007, 07:03 PM
5:32 PM - there are about 40 of us in line. Not too bad.

One mother and teenage daughter just walked by and asked me what we were waiting for. I told her, and she looked at my macbook and said "Is the software for that thing?" I said yes. Turns out she bought a macbook for her daughter yesterday and no one told her about this... I told her about the $10 update cost for recent buyers. Funny.

How in the hell are they going to fit 40 people into the Galleria store? :p I went there once over the summer, since at the time, I was working right down the street on Brentwood and stopped after work, and that place was TINY. Not that WestCo is much bigger. I wish we had a NY-sized flagship store

Deefuzz
Oct 27, 2007, 11:25 AM
I went to the West County store straight after work, so since I came from work I unfortunately did not have my camera with me.

After a long wait in the Starbucks line for some requisite "wake-up" juice I made my way towards the Apple store to meet up with my buddy at around 5:15. I am terrible at guesses but I would say we might have been around the 50's-70's in line.

I didn't plan on buying Leopard, I just love these events. I mainly wanted to show up and mix it up with others waiting, and play around with Leopard. After nabbing a free t-shirt in the door I had 4 different employees approach me and ask me how many copies I wanted. I told them that I wanted to play mainly.

After playing around for 15-20 minutes I decided just to buy it right there.

Haven't had the chance to install yet, but I love these Apple events! I went to the Tiger release at the West County store, and the opening event at the Galleria. I wish we had another opening around here sometime soon...I love this stuff.

Furrybeagle
Oct 27, 2007, 04:11 PM
Met up with some friends at the West County store at about… 5:00. We were about 10th in line. We mostly just talked, watched the line wrap around the mall, and I spent a few minutes on my PowerBook. A lot of people had iPhones (I don't have one :(). It was really exciting as it got closer and closer to 6:00. Then there was the obligatory countdown, the doors opened, and I got the free tshirt. :)

I spent about 20 or 30 minutes in there, checking out Leopard before I installed. It was pretty busy, and they had the store employees walking around with the scanners. When we left there was still a long line of people waiting to get in.

I love these Apple events!
:)