PDA

View Full Version : Major Problem Transferring Data From Emac To Imac

jersey10
Oct 16, 2007, 10:01 PM
I just bought a refurbished iMac to replace my old eMac. After starting up the iMac, it asked me if I wanted to transfer data from an older mac. I said yes. It instructed me to connect a firewire cable and follow the steps it outlined. I did this, but it first gave me the message that it could not transfer anything because my old computer did not have Mac OSX. This is incorrect, it has OSX. But it wouldn't let me go any further so I cancelled the transfer and tried restarting the eMac. That caused the eMac to get a blinking folder in the middle of the screen that would not go away even after I pushed the power button to restart the computer.

After reading some other posts, I tried manually restarting the eMac while holding the option key down. When I did this, the blinking folder went away, but now I have two boxes on my Emac screen - the first box on the left contains a curved arrow, the second box contains a straight, forward arrow. But the computer won't let me do anything.

What can I do??????? Please let me know as there is a lot of important stuff on the eMac that I don't want to lose. I've never had the slightest problem with the eMac until I plugged that firewire cable in and tried to do this transfer.

Thanks so much.