PDA

View Full Version : Pentagon May Have to Reduce U.S. Forces in Iraq -CBO

zimv20
Sep 2, 2003, 11:33 PM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=564&ncid=716&e=12&u=/nm/20030903/ts_nm/iraq_congress_forces_dc

The Bush administration may have to cut U.S. troops in Iraq (news - web sites) by more than half to keep enough forces to face other threats, a congressional agency said on Tuesday in a report that fueled calls for more international help for peacekeeping in Iraq.

The Congressional Budget Office (news - web sites) said under current policies, the Pentagon (news - web sites) would be able to sustain an occupation force of 38,000 to 64,000 in Iraq long term, down from the existing 150,000 that a number of lawmakers said is not enough to confront the spiraling violence.

(more)

Ugg
Sep 3, 2003, 12:08 AM
Not enough in Iraq to keep the peace yet not enough to deal with anything new and tours of duty have been repeatedly extended. Looks like gw & co. have gotten in over their heads on this one. At least it takes some of the pressure off finding the WMD ;)

bobindashadows
Sep 3, 2003, 12:25 AM
What other threats? I want more people in there, damn it, and while I honestly don't know how many soldiers we have the reserves, I'd like to see them let these soldiers come home and rotate new soldiers in. I want to see them lay the smack down and show these people terrorism will not be tolerated. Crush some spirits - though seeing family members fed through plastic shredders already did that.

zimv20
Sep 3, 2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by bobindashadows
I want to see them lay the smack down and show these people terrorism will not be tolerated. Crush some spirits -

when are you joining up?

Ugg
Sep 3, 2003, 12:34 AM
What other threats? I want more people in there, damn it, and while I honestly don't know how many soldiers we have the reserves, I'd like to see them let these soldiers come home and rotate new soldiers in. I want to see them lay the smack down and show these people terrorism will not be tolerated. Crush some spirits - though seeing family members fed through plastic shredders already did that.

North Korea, Religious fundamentalists in Indonesia, The Philippines, Pakistan/India, China/Taiwan and there are plenty of other nascent "hotspots" around the world.

The reserves and the guard are pretty well maxed out. Since they are not regular soldiers they can't be called up as frequently. There's been quite a bit of press about the state of military readiness so this isn't really news just a heavy dose of reality.

If we were interested in fighting terrorism, Saudi Arabia would have been invaded, not Iraq. Also, going by the deaths in Afghanistan it looks as though there is plenty of unfinished business there. Some of the suspects in the Iraq UN bombing were al Qaeda members from Afghanistan.

Sayhey
Sep 3, 2003, 12:50 AM
Didn't this all start with a war on terrorism? Isn't the attempt to go after al-Qaeda supposed to be our priority? If so it appears that it is with our dear friends the governments of Pakistan and Saudi Arabia that we should concentrate our forces. That is where al-Qaeda's forces are concentrated. This spreading of forces throughout the world in order to dictate regime change has little to do with the priorities that we developed a consensus around after the 9/11 tragedy.

IJ Reilly
Sep 3, 2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Ugg
If we were interested in fighting terrorism, Saudi Arabia would have been invaded, not Iraq. Also, going by the deaths in Afghanistan it looks as though there is plenty of unfinished business there. Some of the suspects in the Iraq UN bombing were al Qaeda members from Afghanistan.

The other "dirty little secret" of the war on terror is Pakistan's role. Taliban fighters move in and out of Pakistan with impunity. Osama bin Ladin is almost certainly hiding out there too -- but we're not allowed to go looking for any of them.

pseudobrit
Sep 3, 2003, 05:26 PM
I want to see them lay the smack down and show these people terrorism will not be tolerated. Crush some spirits

Funny you would talk about crushing spirits.

A girl I know was dating a fella who enlisted with the Army. She moved to NC where he'd was based while he was over in Afghanistan for about a year. She got depressed and had to go on meds. She gained about 60lbs., and the meds made it worse.

He came back about six months ago. They got married. He shipped out for Iraq this week. She's gained over 100lbs. and is still severely depressed.

My brother's in the Honor Guard, which is non-deployable. His time's up in a few months, and though he'd like to see action (he was born a soldier) and could transfer, he's being sensible and getting out now because of how badly the operation is being run.

Those guys are ****ing miserable. And to think Bush said they were demoralised under Clinton...

bobindashadows
Sep 3, 2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by zimv20
when are you joining up?
Right after I graduate college, I am joining the Army, actually. I can't join right now, because sadly, I'm not of legal age to do so. While it's none of your business, I see why you would ask that.

And I love how you both didn't include the rest of my statement. Don't want to admit that Saddam was a merciless, brutal dictator? No, heaven forbid, that would warrant his removal. I understand the public reasons for going to Iraq didn't include that fact, but I'd bet it was in the back of President Bush's mind. Though, all the "BUSH IS STOOPID AND I HTE HIM CUZ HES STOOPID OMG WTF LOL HE IS DA TERROIST!!! AND SUX0RS!!!!" people refuse to see that. They're probably the same ones who think Julius Rosenberg wasn't a spy. I have a friend who said that the other day... now he's all pissed because I showed him he was wrong.

IJ Reilly
Sep 3, 2003, 07:00 PM
Wow, that was pretty random. Got any rounds left in that shotgun?

zimv20
Sep 3, 2003, 07:06 PM
Right after I graduate college, I am joining the Army

good for you.

how serious are you? are you allowing for any change in views while at college? a little dose of the "real world" may soften such hard-ass views.