PDA

View Full Version : Minneapolis MN

t3chn0
Oct 17, 2007, 01:52 AM
Dont know yet weather I am going to the Mall of america or rosedale to pick it up. Likely rosedale as parking is easier to find.

synth3tik
Oct 17, 2007, 04:44 PM
There is a lot more to these events then just picking up a copy. I will be getting from the school book store, but will be hitting the event for all the fun goings ons.

TimTheEnchanter
Oct 17, 2007, 04:47 PM
Thinking about MoA. That way if its boring I can just head upstairs to Hooters! ;) :D

edit: H(.)(.)TERS

onebloodonelife
Oct 17, 2007, 04:50 PM
I'd be up for a Rosedale party. I'll (hopefully) already have it installed on my Macbook, but I still want to come and have the whole Apple Store experience...and a free shirt doesn't hurt. ;)

What time are you planning on getting there?

mikelong622
Oct 17, 2007, 04:53 PM
I've never been to any Apple release parties. I should go. About what time would one show up to one of these hoe-downs?

darthmarth37
Oct 17, 2007, 05:18 PM
I'm up for either place. When to meet, though? I have also never been to such a launch event.

t3chn0
Oct 17, 2007, 05:51 PM
Looks like its rosedale for me. I forgot that traffic to the moa can get bad around there sometimes. Im thinking I will get there maybe around 5:30 or 5:45.

Taylor C
Oct 17, 2007, 07:43 PM
Probably going to the Rosedale party here, just because it's closer.

hazkid
Oct 18, 2007, 07:23 AM
Since I live in Duluth, and don't get out of school until 3:00, I'll be at Rosedale. I was hoping to buy Leopard there, but I can't justify paying $116 when my local U sells it starting at 9:00 AM for $69.

Also, Rosedale will be far less crowed than MOA. And my parents will want to go to Dayton's. I mean Marshall Fields. Actually, Macy's.

onebloodonelife
Oct 18, 2007, 08:24 AM
Since I live in Duluth, and don't get out of school until 3:00, I'll be at Rosedale. I was hoping to buy Leopard there, but I can't justify paying $116 when my local U sells it starting at 9:00 AM for $69.

Also, Rosedale will be far less crowed than MOA. And my parents will want to go to Dayton's. I mean Marshall Fields. Actually, Macy's.

Do you go to the University of Minnesota-Duluth? Cause if they're selling it at 9am, I'll have to talk to the bookstore at the UofM-Twin Cities to see when they're going to start selling it.

hazkid
Oct 18, 2007, 09:37 AM
I'm still in high school, but my mom is a teacher there, and all they told me was that they don't have any time restrictions for Leo. They'll just start selling it when they open (which happens to be 9AM).

onebloodonelife
Oct 18, 2007, 10:00 AM
I'm still in high school, but my mom is a teacher there, and all they told me was that they don't have any time restrictions for Leo. They'll just start selling it when they open (which happens to be 9AM).

Okay, I'll have to see if the bookstore here is going to have it on the 26th or not. When I talked to a rep on Tuesday, he said they didn't know if they'd have it on the 26th or not, but maybe if you guys are going to have it that day, they will to.

mikelong622
Oct 18, 2007, 04:43 PM
I should have been saving!!!!

Hopefully my student loans will come in time, in which case I'll be at the MOA around 5:45 to get my copy. Seeing as how I've never done this, does anyone know if there is a need to preorder, or do I just walk in, hand over my Visa, and in return get handed a nice shiny box with an X on it?

t3chn0
Oct 18, 2007, 04:59 PM
I should have been saving!!!!

Hopefully my student loans will come in time, in which case I'll be at the MOA around 5:45 to get my copy. Seeing as how I've never done this, does anyone know if there is a need to preorder, or do I just walk in, hand over my Visa, and in return get handed a nice shiny box with an X on it?

Its pretty likely you wont need to preorder. they can quickly press a ton of dvds so they should have enough for all the launches.

Jim82
Oct 19, 2007, 02:13 AM
I'll be at Ridgedale.. Anyone else?

tdwlehman
Oct 19, 2007, 03:03 AM
I'm closer to Rosedale (I'm a student at Macalester) but driving up Snelling during rush hour on a Friday doesn't really appeal to me. Not that the drive to MoA would be any better...

Maybe I'll just leave early and try and be one of the first in line to ensure I get a t-shirt.

I went to the Tiger release party back home (Richmond VA) and I think all they gave away that time were scratch cards where you could win an iPod or even a Powerbook, but most people just got free songs from iTunes.

Maybe I'll see some of you there.

darthmarth37
Oct 19, 2007, 09:21 AM
I'm trying for Rosedale. Think I can still get a shirt if I show up around 6:20?

mikelong622
Oct 19, 2007, 03:24 PM
I wonder what the line to get this will be like compared to the line I waited in last month for Halo 3...

Taylor C
Oct 19, 2007, 05:23 PM
I'm trying for Rosedale. Think I can still get a shirt if I show up around 6:20?

Probably. I'm still not sure if I'm going to MOA or Rosedale. Two of my friends and I are getting there at like one, we're gonna have a late lunch/early dinner and maybe walk around a bit before getting in line.

mikelong622
Oct 19, 2007, 05:28 PM
Two of my friends and I are getting there at like one.

:eek:What?:eek: Isn't that a tad bit early to get in line?

Taylor C
Oct 19, 2007, 08:14 PM
Never ;p

pdjudd
Oct 20, 2007, 11:37 AM
I will (It is about 10 minutes from the house). I already ordered Leopard online but I am going to the store to check on some other things. I will be bringing the MacBook with me, and hopefully I will have Leopard already installed (I think I might take the afternoon off if it doesn't come on thursday).

blueBomber
Oct 20, 2007, 09:14 PM
Why isn't anybody going to FirstTech on Hennepin Avenue? They're celebrating 30 years of being an Apple reseller with a party that night and are advertising copies of Leopard for $99 between 6 and 9 pm. I'll be there.

pdjudd
Oct 20, 2007, 10:24 PM
Why isn't anybody going to FirstTech on Hennepin Avenue? They're celebrating 30 years of being an Apple reseller with a party that night and are advertising copies of Leopard for $99 between 6 and 9 pm. I'll be there.

I despise driving in downtown Minneapolis/St. Paul. Too far out of the way for me to go to visit a reseller to save 20 bucks.

aviationwiz
Oct 21, 2007, 02:28 PM
I'll probably be at the Ridgedale store, as it's closest to me.

motorazr
Oct 21, 2007, 09:40 PM
Southdale anyone? I won't be meeting up really...but no one seems to care about southdale :'( ! Let's see... panther had a HUGE crowd (200+ people, line went through the theater!) at southdale, and Tiger had about 20 people in line... I just can't believe that this event won't draw a few more than usual to southdale, but there are 4 stores to choose from :p ....

Edit: I still have my X 10.3 Panther dog tags from southdale...

Veritas&Equitas
Oct 21, 2007, 11:44 PM

I'll probably be at the Ridgedale store, as it's closest to me.

I'll be there as well, considering I live about 5 minutes away :)

pdjudd
Oct 22, 2007, 08:55 AM
I'll be there as well, considering I live about 5 minutes away :)
That makes about 4 people so far. If this is going to be a meetup how will we recognize each other? I for one have no idea what you guys look like.

Veritas&Equitas
Oct 22, 2007, 09:03 AM
That makes about 4 people so far. If this is going to be a meetup how will we recognize each other? I for one have no idea what you guys look like.
I look identical to the guy in my profile pic :D

Buschmaster
Oct 22, 2007, 09:14 AM
You should all get "MacRumors Press Team" badges and hang them from lanyards. Then you'll know each other.

I'd go to Southdale or the MOA if I could, but I'll be at college during the release :\

pdjudd
Oct 22, 2007, 09:36 AM
I look identical to the guy in my profile pic :D
Yea, but I have no profile pic. I remain anonymous (or rather I don't have a decent picture to use).

MidwestMac
Oct 22, 2007, 11:11 AM
I haven't been to one of these before. Can someone give me a general rundown of what usually occurs. And will we not be able to buy OS X 10.5 until 6:00pm? And what is a good time to get there to make sure I get my hands on it and maybe even that free t-shirt. Oh, I'm going to Rosedale.

mspman
Oct 22, 2007, 11:56 AM

Count me in for Ridgedale. It's pretty impossible to miss me. I'm 6'1", 300lbs, and I can bench my own body weight a few times.

They better have XXL t-shirts. :D

pdjudd
Oct 22, 2007, 11:58 AM
Count me in for Ridgedale. It's pretty impossible to miss me. I'm 6'1", 300lbs, and I can bench my own body weight a few times.

They better have XXL t-shirts. :D

I dunno. Depending on your disposition that day, I may just want to miss you :D

mspman
Oct 22, 2007, 01:19 PM
I dunno. Depending on your disposition that day, I may just want to miss you :D

Okay, so here痴 what we do. We値l form Team Macrumors at the Ridgedale store. I値l lead the charge and just throw everyone who is in my way out of it. We値l get to the front of the line, get our Leopard, T-Shirts, and whatever else and get outta there. Then we can go and install. :)

Epicurus
Oct 22, 2007, 06:20 PM
I haven't been to one of these before. Can someone give me a general rundown of what usually occurs. And will we not be able to buy OS X 10.5 until 6:00pm? And what is a good time to get there to make sure I get my hands on it and maybe even that free t-shirt. Oh, I'm going to Rosedale.

I remember the sign in the Rosedale window saying they would be closing early to prepare, and then opening back up at 6:00. I can't remember for certain, but I think it said they'd close at 4:00.

As for the plan of action after 6, I have no idea. I pre-ordered Panther and Tiger and did the same for Leopard. I'm hoping to sneak home for lunch and have the box already waiting for me. As for the store, I really doubt that they'll sell out. I mean it is a DVD in a box; I'm sure they can mass produce it more easily than the iPhone. If they have t-shirts or some other goodie bag up their sleeves, there might be a real benefit to getting there at 6 or just before. Again, I've never been to a launch party, so I can't speak from experience.

omgwut
Oct 22, 2007, 06:28 PM
I'm fifteen minutes from Rosedale. Maybe I'll stop there and see what's up if I have nothing better to do. :p

pdjudd
Oct 22, 2007, 07:03 PM
Okay, so here痴 what we do. We値l form Team Macrumors at the Ridgedale store. I値l lead the charge and just throw everyone who is in my way out of it. We値l get to the front of the line, get our Leopard, T-Shirts, and whatever else and get outta there. Then we can go and install. :)

OK. I am all for that. But we may have to plow down alot of people since I can't get there till about 5:30. Might be a bit of a line.

(Seriously, if ou want to find me, I will be wearing a apple shirt from the Ridgedale opening and I will have my MacBook with me (hopefully I will get Leopard with me).

Taylor C
Oct 22, 2007, 07:06 PM
I've decided to go to the Mall of America store as opposed to Rosedale, can't wait for the release.

vandlism
Oct 22, 2007, 10:18 PM
yeah i'm thinking MoA as well. Not only is it closer for me, but there's a better chance of me snagging some schwag.

Veritas&Equitas
Oct 22, 2007, 11:21 PM
Not only is it closer for me, but there's a better chance of me snagging some schwag.
Do you really hit up the MoA when you need your next hit? Where do you go...Camp Snoopy? LOL!

vandlism
Oct 23, 2007, 08:36 AM
Do you really hit up the MoA when you need your next hit? Where do you go...Camp Snoopy? LOL!

Ummm, free shirt?

moesker007
Oct 23, 2007, 11:05 AM

I'll be there, I just registered. I go to MCAD so it's pretty close

bella92108
Oct 23, 2007, 02:25 PM
As someone living in Minneapolis it's really depressing for me to read this thread and see people saying the silly things they're saying...

a) If you want Leopard the soonest, pre-order it from Apple or MacMall today with overnight shipping. There's a for sure chance you'll have it friday before the stores sell it (since FedEx guarantees overnight shipments by 3 pm). Even better, there's a real possibility that some of these shipments will arrive on Thursday (don't sticky your pants people)...

b) It's not a "Launch Party"... not sure why people keep calling it that in the Minneapolis Meetups forum... Lookup the word LAUNCH, and the word PARTY. It's true, Apple will satisfy the first half, but as to the party, no. A store will have 10 people standing at the door to buy it, they'll get their t-shirts and wobble home to install it, yet half the Leopard buyers will already have it and be installed because they were smart enough to preorder it. Duh.

Not rocket science, why are people making this out to be an event, it's not...it's an upgrade to an OS. It's not anything you'll see on the news (except maybe a mention in the business segment as a quick FYI)....

I think everyone should go to the store that's convenient for you, when it's convenient for you, and then you'll have the software and stop wasting time with annoying posts like this!

Veritas&Equitas
Oct 23, 2007, 02:29 PM
snip
Hey, I got an idea. How about you go write that in every single "Leopard Event Meetup" thread, b/c there are over 30 of them. Why pick on just this one?

Obviously the Macrumors admin also thought it would be a good topic, since they created a separate forum for these meetups.

Stop being Johnny Raincloud and pre-order Leopard if you want, let everyone else do what they want.

pdjudd
Oct 23, 2007, 03:57 PM
Hey, I got an idea. How about you go write that in every single "Leopard Event Meetup" thread, b/c there are over 30 of them. Why pick on just this one?

Obviously the Macrumors admin also thought it would be a good topic, since they created a separate forum for these meetups.

Stop being Johnny Raincloud and pre-order Leopard if you want, let everyone else do what they want.

Exactly. I actually find going to these board meet-ups quite fun. If you don;t want to go, then stay at home and watch TV for all we care. I for one am having it pre-ordered, but since I won;t have time to install, I will be going to Ridgedale anyway because I need to buy something there. Why not so and have fun?

neoneddy
Oct 24, 2007, 09:51 AM
On the note of lanyards and press passes, I have the hookups for making plastic cards, I'll have a few made up .. email me shawn@wavestatic.com if you want one, I'll post a preview of one later today. Oh I'll be at the Rosedale (roseville?) Center one.. the one north-ish in the Twin Cities.

pdjudd
Oct 24, 2007, 10:18 AM
On the note of lanyards and press passes, I have the hookups for making plastic cards, I'll have a few made up .. email me shawn@wavestatic.com if you want one, I'll post a preview of one later today. Oh I'll be at the Rosedale (roseville?) Center one.. the one north-ish in the Twin Cities.

Is that offer only for the store you are going to. It would be neat for all Minnesota people but I defiantly cannot make it to that Apple store.

JoshuaDuffy
Oct 24, 2007, 03:01 PM
I'll be at the Ridgedale store filming an episode of my podcast!!!! I wonder which one KARE 11 will be at????

aviationwiz
Oct 24, 2007, 03:05 PM
Hmm, scratch that for me being at Ridgedale. I'll be at the U of M bookstore getting it for $69 (starts selling at 6PM Friday, Coffman store.)

tdwlehman
Oct 24, 2007, 04:06 PM
Hmm, scratch that for me being at Ridgedale. I'll be at the U of M bookstore getting it for $69 (starts selling at 6PM Friday, Coffman store.)

Wow. Can only UM students get that price? What about other college students? I go to Macalester...

pdjudd
Oct 24, 2007, 04:13 PM
I'll be at the Ridgedale store filming an episode of my podcast!!!! I wonder which one KARE 11 will be at????
Well, if KARE would be doing a report on this, it would probably be at the MOA store. Just my guess though.

Hey, if you are filming, you should have us MR guys on as guests.

aviationwiz
Oct 25, 2007, 06:23 PM
Wow. Can only UM students get that price? What about other college students? I go to Macalester...

Yeah, it's only for UM Students, Staff, and Faculty.

Well, if KARE would be doing a report on this, it would probably be at the MOA store. Just my guess though.

On the contrary, Ridgedale is closer to them, but with that being said, unless they need filler content for the news Friday night, I don't seem them being at one of them.

pdjudd
Oct 25, 2007, 06:28 PM
On the contrary, Ridgedale is closer to them, but with that being said, unless they need filler content for the news Friday night, I don't seem them being at one of them.

My response was not really location based (I actually live about 15 minutes from KARE's studios), but if memory serves the MOA apple store is more well known. But I doubt they will be at either location. I will be there earlier than I thought though since I am getting into work later to sign for leopard.

flrazor
Oct 25, 2007, 08:02 PM
My Mac-convert friend and I will be at the Rosedale store. I'll look for any signs of people from here, otherwise we'll just sit and wait in line with the rest of you. I went to Rosedale for the last event, and we got there about an hour before reopening and only had about a dozen people in front of us. Small store and having so many in one area makes for a small crowd. Closer to 6 was when people started really showing up. At least Caribou is right next to the waiting area. :D

Panther release at Southdale (MoA was closed for remodel) was a huge line, but they were the only AS open at the time. I think I got there 2-3 hours early (before they closed to set-up) and was 4-5 back from the door.

synth3tik
Oct 26, 2007, 06:14 AM

If your school bookstore sells software you can get the $69 price. I go to Normandale and they do not sell software. At least I still have my iPhone rebate to compensate.

alexhp03
Oct 26, 2007, 08:50 AM
If your school bookstore sells software you can get the $69 price. I go to Normandale and they do not sell software. At least I still have my iPhone rebate to compensate.

Yeah I go to Normandale too but they only have MS Office:Mac discounted online. We can still the Apple Edu. discount on Leopard though.

Paix247
Oct 26, 2007, 10:01 AM
I'll be at the U of M bookstore getting it for $69 (starts selling at 6PM Friday, Coffman store.)

I'll be going there too. I couldn't find any info about this on their site though. It still lists the old version only. I'll probably show up there around 5:20 or so... right after work.

t3chn0
Oct 26, 2007, 04:15 PM
For those that will be at the rosedale store, I will be the one with a black oakley S.I. laptop bag a black shirt and gray pants.

Veritas&Equitas
Oct 26, 2007, 06:37 PM
The line at Ridgedale is insane! So many people here, any other MR people out here I'm the guy with the white polo and jeans

Buschmaster
Oct 26, 2007, 07:40 PM
Any word on how the turn outs were besides Ridgedale? Mostly Southdale. :)

I'm sure MOA was packed.

stoneage
Oct 26, 2007, 07:51 PM
Is there a casual/expensive dressed 50 year old guy on an iPhone at Ridgedale. Tell him the family pack isn't available yet and that Billy can wait.:)

Richmond1958
Oct 26, 2007, 09:18 PM
There were definitely Family Packs available at Rosedale -- I bought one. :)

Richmond1958
Oct 26, 2007, 09:24 PM
BTW, Crowd at Rosedale extended back to Daytons (Macys) at about 6:10 which is where I was. Still about a 30 person line at 7:15, and Store was very busy. A lot of hardware was going out the door as well.

coryetzkorn
Oct 26, 2007, 10:29 PM
Here's a few pics of the premier! Took these with my iPhone, so not the best quality. This is at the Mall of America Apple Store
http://www.coryetzkorn.com/hostedimages/theline
http://www.coryetzkorn.com/hostedimages/moreline
http://www.coryetzkorn.com/hostedimages/employees

synth3tik
Oct 27, 2007, 04:47 AM
Yeah I go to Normandale too but they only have MS Office:Mac discounted online. We can still the Apple Edu. discount on Leopard though.

I looked at the online bookstore, but still did not find it. No worries, I ended up using my $100 iPhone rebate on the $116 discount version from the Apple store and got my copy for $26 with tax.

I met up with a friend downtown MPLS and grabbed a quick bit and made it to MoA at about 6:20ish. There was still a few people in the line, but we made it in within 2 minutes. The why they were handing out the shirts reminded me of work when their like, "good quarter the company made $114 Million, heres a Polo" At least this was an Apple shirt. :D

Veritas&Equitas
Oct 27, 2007, 08:14 AM
I met up with a friend downtown MPLS and grabbed a quick bit and made it to MoA at about 6:20ish. There was still a few people in the line, but we made it in within 2 minutes.
At 6:20 at Ridgedale, there were easily 300 people in line.

psingh01
Oct 28, 2007, 12:17 AM
I went to the Mall of America store and foolishly thought I would just walk in at 6pm and get it. The line seemed longer than when the iPhone launched. I only waited about 25 mins though as the line moved quickly.