PDA

View Full Version : Austin, TX

sartajc
Oct 17, 2007, 02:49 AM
talk about Austin here.

I dont know where im gonna go get Leopard, whether its Barton Creek or the Campus Store at UT.

lilmoonee
Oct 17, 2007, 04:36 AM
talk about Austin here.

I dont know where im gonna go get Leopard, whether its Barton Creek or the Campus Store at UT.

I'm down for the campus store if they are going to have it for ~70 bucks. Anyone have any idea for the pricing there?

sartajc
Oct 17, 2007, 04:34 PM
I'm down for the campus store if they are going to have it for ~70 bucks. Anyone have any idea for the pricing there?

Im not even sure if the Campus store will have it on the first day, but if it does offer it at a cheap price i will def want to get it there.

lilmoonee
Oct 17, 2007, 04:37 PM
Just spoke with campus computer and they said they might be staying open until 8pm on the 26th and anticipate that academic version for 90-100 dollars. She also mentioned that the student version, which they think will be there about a week after launch will be around 35 (could be less could be more). Details will firm up in the next week and will be posted at their website.

sartajc
Oct 17, 2007, 06:17 PM
i talked with them and they said the same thing. if it does end up being 35, ill just wait the week (its $100 off the retail).

I can wait a week to save 70 bucks. But lets see what ITS says in a week.

lilmoonee
Oct 17, 2007, 07:03 PM
yeah definitely...if its 35 bucks i can wait.

sartajc
Oct 18, 2007, 05:12 PM
do you think its even possible to get it at 35? cause before it was like 60-70 for tiger. and they raised the price on this one for students. so im not sure.

lilmoonee
Oct 18, 2007, 05:35 PM
Yeah i think it should be possible. UT has a site license for apple software. You can actually buy tiger for 15 bucks at the FAC. Hopefully they will post more info next week.

djjuice204
Oct 21, 2007, 01:45 PM
Well I used to work for ITS and so I know a little bit about it. I also have friends that worked there too. Well basically UT has to negotiate a price with Apple for all of the useres on campus. Usually there is an agreement for faculty, another for students, and then another for computers on campus that need to run leopard. So after all of that is taken care of they send them the disc with our special registration codes for our school. That whole process can take a while. Thats why it took a little while for Vista AKA *****ta.......lol.......to get to UT.

BrainZ
Oct 22, 2007, 05:07 PM
So does that mean that ITS wont have Leopard until the contract is figured out, or just that they wont drop the price until then?

jperry
Oct 24, 2007, 01:50 PM
I was talking to a worker at the Campus Computer store and he said 20-30 for the student version a week after the release. 35 wouldn't be bad either. I will be there this Friday when the retail version releases at Campus Computer, though. I have waited long enough.

JacMightymouse
Oct 25, 2007, 10:55 PM
Guess I'll be the only one at Barton Creek Mall on Friday and 6:00 pm then. Apple, you onyl have to wait for me to make my purchase and then you can close shop. Everyone else will be on campus! :D

chrisco
Oct 26, 2007, 09:31 AM
Forwarded from a post sent out yesterday by ITS:

Mac OS X Leopard (OS 10.5), the newest incarnation of the Mac OS, will
be officially released this Friday, October 26th at 6 p.m. The Campus
Computer Store (http://www.campuscomputer.com/new/) will have:

* Single-user copies available starting 10/26 at 6 p.m. for $90. The
store will stay open an extra hour.

* Student versions will be available for $35 on November 2 (Faculty and staff
will not be eligible for this discount.).

Their normal hours are 8am-6pm Mon-Fri. For tonight's event they'll stay open until 7pm. A valid UT ID is required for all purchases.

Also don't forget about Apple's biggest non-flagship store (http://www.apple.com/retail/thedomain/week/20071021.html) (or so I'm told), at The Domain, at Breaker & Mopac.

chrisco
Oct 26, 2007, 03:00 PM
The UT info has changed:

The price for Leopard at the Campus Computer Store is an estimated$99 (this price is only an estimate--the store will have final details later today).

I hasten to add: DISCLAIMER - I'm not typing any more corrections. Info may not be accurate & is subject to change without notice, etc. Sigh.

kevindosi
Oct 26, 2007, 04:00 PM
the campus store is selling it for around $100 starting the day of the release - but if you wait until next friday, they're selling it for $35. i'd wait.

G4scott
Oct 28, 2007, 11:42 PM
The $99 (or $79) version is the retail box version. The $35 one is usually just the disc, but may come with some documentation.

sartajc
Nov 2, 2007, 09:57 AM
Campus Computer Store now has Leopard for $34.

I was the first one to get it!

Mindflux
Nov 2, 2007, 02:20 PM

How the hell are they doing that?

projectMECCA
Nov 6, 2007, 05:18 AM
I have no idea. but im glad i got it for such a cheap price

BrainZ
Nov 7, 2007, 06:16 PM

Hate to break it to ya, but you weren't the first (if you bought it at the time of your post). I picked up my copy at 4:00 PM on Thursday, the 1st. They also said that they already sold 70 or so copies, apparently they got it in around 3:00 on Thursday and started selling it immediately (under the label "Leopard - stud"). I don't mean to disenfranchise your great purchase, just thought I'd let you know, oh, and they claimed to have a couple thousand copies, so they shouldn't run out, in case someone is worried.

Mindflux
Nov 8, 2007, 12:47 AM
I'm assuming you actually have to be a student to buy it, yeah?

BrainZ
Nov 10, 2007, 08:10 PM
I'm assuming you actually have to be a student to buy it, yeah?

To buy it at $34, yes you do. However I'm not sure about the box at $99. I didn't have to show my ID for iLife (box), just for the student Leopard.